Options

Comments

• Options
    LyndsayLyndsay NEW BRUNSWICK Posts: 73
    My boyfriend and I travelled from Atlantic Canada to Philly to see PJ in October. I got snarky comments from family and friends for spending all that money and travelling all that way. I ended up proposing to my boyfriend night one in Philly and I always hear "oh that's cool" followed by a weird look and snarky comment. We couldn't be happier. We are anxiously awaiting some new tour news so we can plan our honeymoon (getting married in 3 weeks) and I hae learned not to give a flying f*** what people say. Non pj fans will never get it and that's ok
  • Options
    Just checking in.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    i have similar problems..''are you travel again to see them again??''..if you are not in, you can't understand,is my answer..they never gonna get it..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469
    My partners at work don't really get it, with me starting to travel to see PJ. But I always find it funny when they are out with friends for an evening when PJ is ready to tour soon and some of their friends start talking about trying to get tickets to Pearl Jam but they can't cause they are all sold out. They always end up telling them about me and the usually comment is "How the fuck did he get tickets" lol just always find that amusing. So I think they are starting to get it and if not, too bad its my time
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    My family gets it so they support the travel to shows.

My friends will occasionally mention "hey, I heard they said the words 'Pearl Jam" on the radio and thought of you" or "Hey, this link reminded me of you! *insert link to the Frozen Tag* " They think I', crazy but hey don't make comments beside "you're so crazy, have fun".

Traveling to see Pearl Jam is not different than traveling to Disney World or Vegas or on a cruise to a beach, etc. There is a thing you want to do in a different city, and you are gonna do it and experience that area of the country/world. Just because this thing that you love also comes around and happens near you just gives you more opportunities to do it.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    You know what is hot? A beautiful woman saying that she heard a Pearl Jam song on the radio and thought of you.

Truth.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    I gave up trying to convert people, including my wife. My only hope is my daughter, who's 1-year old.

I gifted to a guy Brooklyn-2013 Night 1 CD-bootleg, hoping to convert him. He said it's too heavy for his taste. Now, I try to figure out a way to get my bootleg back.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    PorchRadioPorchRadio Aurora, IL Posts: 233
    I am known as that guy at the office and by my family and friends. No one gives me shit about it though. The first guy at work to discover that I was a dedicated PJ fan, is also quite the music buff (guy knows way more about musicians and bands than is possible. He should be writing about music and not working in some cubicle, but I digress), he found out and started taking a listen and realized that they were still just as good, but different. Older, wiser, more mature, and he said that if he hadn't met me he wouldn't have given them another listen, as he had pretty much written them off in the late 90s early 00s.

My wife, met her in college in 98. I wouldn't say she hated PJ, but she was not a fan in the slightest. Get it out of her that it was all due to Jeremy being overplayed, and she got sick of it and it turned her off completely to the band. Over time she started catching songs such as State of Love and Trust and would ask me who that is, and when I told her she would admit that it was good. But the tune that got her to admit to liking them was Last Kiss. Over time they grew and grew on her, and she was the one that suggested we go to PJ20. I was floored! Now that we have Sirius and the PJ station, she is getting deeper and deeper into the catalog, joined the 10 club, and is has become a pretty huge fan herself.

Goes to show that getting bit by the PJ bug can happen at any time in your life.
    1995 Soldier Field, Chicago
    1998 Alpine Valley, WI
    2000 Indianapolis, IN
    2011 PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2013 Wrigley Field
    2013 Voodoo Fest New Orleans, LA
    2014 Moline, IL (No Code)
    2014 Milwaukee, WI (Yield)
    2016 Greenville, SC (Vs)
    2016 Columbia, SC
    2016 Bonnaroo
    2016 Wrigley I & II
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    I don't feel the need to explain it to people. My wife gets it and most of my good friends are casual PJ fans so they get it too. If anyone has a problem with me traveling for PJ shows or listening to PJ, they can fuck off.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    JimmyV said:

You know what is hot? A beautiful woman saying that she heard a Pearl Jam song on the radio and thought of you.

Truth.

;):))
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    JimmyV said:

Truth.

I remember when Avocado was released my girlfriend at the time would always say "I thought of you when I heard Suicide Bomber (World Wide Suicide) on the radio." That always made me laugh.
    jumbojet said:

I gave up trying to convert people, including my wife. My only hope is my daughter, who's 1-year old.

My wife can't stand the band, but doesn't mind when I hit up shows. It's the best possible scenario. Our 2 year old daughter absolutely loves music (currently passionate about the Beatles while in the car) and our 2nd is due any day now so it'll be interesting to see if they pick up on the band later on in life the way I picked up on Pink Floyd when I was younger after my father always played them.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    I was described me as being addicted to Pearl Jam. Really? damnit! :-/ play a record once in a while- listen to some frkn music for a change! to answer your question, as long as there are people who don't get it I will never be finished explaining why I travel everywhere to see Pearl Jam ...and will never stop bragging about all the awesome friends I've made along the way!! =D>
    xoxoxooxoxox
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited July 2014
    I don't try to explain PJ to people. I tell them that I am a diehard fan and connect strongly to their music and with other diehard fans. I tell them that I've traveled to meet other fans and see shows (I call you all Pearl Jam people, and they know what I mean, lol). And I am happy to laugh with them about my extreme fandom, lol. I know that none of my friends are interested in music enough to ever really understand my own feelings about music (or PJ). That's okay. That's why I'm on these boards all the time, where I can find those who do understand. The closest a non-PJ friend has come to getting where I'm coming from is someone who compared it to that scene from American Dad where he sees My Morning Jacket for the first time and starts crying and says "I finally FEEL." :))

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    The look on an old friend's face when I explained I was meeting up with PJ fans I'd met...(gasp) ON THE INTERNET! ... was priceless.

Especially after I asked how the online dating was going.

Haters gonna hate.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    never tried, I figure if you don;t get them, after a listen, you never will like them. You Either like Ed or not as far as singing.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ldent42 said:

The look on an old friend's face when I explained I was meeting up with PJ fans I'd met...(gasp) ON THE INTERNET! ... was priceless.

Haters gonna hate.

Lol. None of my friends give me that look (I think they're just happy I've got a way to share my music obsession with people other than themselves, LOL), but you should have seen the look on the border guard's face when I told him the same thing on my way to a show in the US alone. Hahaha. I actually felt like he didn't really believe me - he was very suspicious. :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623

I don't feel the need to explain it to people. My wife gets it and most of my good friends are casual PJ fans so they get it too. If anyone has a problem with me traveling for PJ shows or listening to PJ, they can fuck off.

Pretty much this. My brother and one of my best friends are big fans but otherwise this is spot on.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Never! But I will only explain to people who are genuinely interested and are trying to understand. If they are asking to poke fun or make snarky comments, I don't engage.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Pretty much this. My brother and one of my best friends are big fans but otherwise this is spot on.
    Seriously, do any people actually have a "problem" with that?? Most of the people I tell about this behaviour are just kind of jealous that I have the freedom and desire to do fun stuff like that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I dont really try to talk about them or shove them down people's throats. If we are hanging out and I have DJ duty, everyone is expecting Pearl Jam and I surprise everyone and play very little.

If people engage me in talking about Pearl Jam of course Ill oblige.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

Haters gonna hate.

Lol. None of my friends give me that look (I think they're just happy I've got a way to share my music obsession with people other than themselves, LOL), but you should have seen the look on the border guard's face when I told him the same thing on my way to a show in the US alone. Hahaha. I actually felt like he didn't really believe me - he was very suspicious. :P
    That's funny my experience was the other way around. When I got to Auckland in 2009 - it was my first time travelling abroad, I just came off a 24 hour flight, I'd never been through the immigration/customs thing at the airport before so I had no idea what to expect, and oh yea, I was alone. So the officer was this really young guy - he looked about 16 - and I guess he decided to fuck with me a little? Starts asking maaaaaad questions about why the hell I would be going all the way to NZ by myself if I didn't know anyone there and blah blah blah, makes a big deal about the anxiety pills my Doc had given me (it was Thanksgiving and he was saying he'd have to call the doctor in the US to confirm the script... I told him to just throw it out then cuz he'd never reach her and I didn't really need them. she'd basically insisted I take it since I hadn't even so much as been on a plane in 10 years, and I never even took them!) Then finally after trying to get me to admit my travel was a bit "odd" I mentioned the Pearl Jam concert and he straight up goes "oh.. why didn't you say so?" stamps my shit and tells me to enjoy my stay.

I wanted to punch him in the throat. Now that I've done that line a half a dozen times it still remains the ONLY time I ever got questioned.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    PJ_Soul said:

Seriously, do any people actually have a "problem" with that?? Most of the people I tell about this behaviour are just kind of jealous that I have the freedom and desire to do fun stuff like that.
    I find that some people look down their noses at this level of fandom. My answer is always the same -- if they question why I know the ERA of pitchers on the 1990 Reds World Series Championship Team...or that I spent a small fortune to go to the Super Bowl the year before last to see my favorite team (49ers)....or that I make my vacations revolve around events I want to go to and my wife may or may not love. (Hawaii to see another USC Football Game, Vancouver to see another Pearl Jam show, etc)
    Hey, these are all things I want to do. You know what you love.

You take your vacation and save it up to go to doucheland in Florida or doucheworld in California and I am going to go and see Pearl Jam or something else I am fanatical about.

Know what you love and take advantage of the opportunity to experience life.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I don't try to explain it. I shouldn't have to. My husband loves death/heavy metal. He doesn't try to explain that either. We love what we love and if people don't like it, it is their issue-- not ours. As long as we are happy with our loves, that is all that matters. Just went to Mayhem Fest in Burgettstown PA with him (had a great time despite not really knowing the music) and he's going GA with me to PJ. It's all good.

FMITB says, "Know what you love and take advantage of the opportunity to experience life." Amen.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    I stopped trying to explain...
    When I realized my friends were right...

I dont need to go to 5-10 shows a year...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    What's there to explain? It's like trying to explain Coke is better than Pepsi. It's been there long enough... If you don't like it by now, there is no convincing you otherwise at this point.

Coke is amazing.

As is Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

Moline?
  • Options
    rival. said:

Moline?
    between 03-06 I was running around hitting as many shows as possible. My friends thought I was nuts. Then I realized they were right. Haha

I still travel. .
    But 1 or 2 shows a tour is good enough for me.
    There were actually a couple tours here in the states where I didn't go to any shows.

Its nice to know I have my addiction under control.
    Hahaha

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    If the worst criticism someone has for me is that I spend my money on seeing PJ shows then I'm probably a pretty decent human being
  • Options
    Mike D88 said:

I don't have to explain shit to nobody.

What he said…

PJ Thank you for the music!
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,531
    My friends think it's "neat," even though they don't understand. My girlfriend is the one that starts the arguments over money spent. What troubles me is the vacations she proposes are 3x as expensive and are to places I don't care to see.

Eeeeekkk...
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: