Options

04/28/03 - loudest crowd ever

pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
PJ at the Spectrum 04/28/03 - loudest crowd ever. Still my favorite show. will be blasting the boot today for the anniversary of this awesome show. "Dr. J played here lets sing in the choir"

Comments

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Its up there in shows that I have been to. A classic night indeed.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    The 05' crowd was also pretty damn loud. Gonna play that one today.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    I agree with the op....the crowd was deafening . Amazing night
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Green Disease 05' - WOW.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ok, switching over to the 03' show. These boots were so amazingly mixed/mastered. There haven't been any as good since.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Opening with Crazy Mary?! Jesus, has that been done anytime previous?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I give loudest crowd designation to Montreal '98
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    I couldn't agree more. Loudest crowd I've been a part of in my 20+ PJ shows.

It's funny; I was looking at today's date on my computer and thought to myself, "Why is 4/28 significant?" I thought I was forgetting someone's birthday or anniversary or something. Turns out, I was forgetting about PJ at the Spectrum in '03!

Just an epic show. I actually put it above 10/31/09 when they closed the Spectrum. I think they played better in '03 and the crowd was even louder.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    Yes, agreed there, crazy loud and great show...You Are ->Half Full was great...another epic Philly show!
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,742
    pjhawks said:

PJ at the Spectrum 04/28/03 - loudest crowd ever. Still my favorite show. will be blasting the boot today for the anniversary of this awesome show. "Dr. J played here lets sing in the choir"

Is the crowd reflected well on the boot? I feel like there are so many shows that have a great crowd but that doesn't come across on the boot at all...
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

Haha! Well in that case I give St.Louis 2010 my vote B-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195

pjhawks said:

Is the crowd reflected well on the boot? I feel like there are so many shows that have a great crowd but that doesn't come across on the boot at all...
    yes and no. i think the crowd comes across on boot well but it was even sicker in the room. i think when Ed 1st goes to talk he just stops because the crowd is going crazy and you get that on the boot. i remember between the end of the 1st set and before the 1st encore people just going crazy and people banging on the signs and seats and such. i've been to 21 shows now and really nothing i've seen has come close to the noise level in the room that night. even the 4 night run to close the Spectrum wasn't as loud as that night in my opinion.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    i've seen pj 51 times and this was the loudest crowd i've ever heard. too bad the boot doesn't represent it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    There is a delicate balance here guys - too much crowd + rock n'roll band = wall of noise and is a real fucker on the ol' ears. Some of the best bootlegs I've listened to have a perfect blend of crowd and band. Tom Petty Anthology, Pete Yorn Live in NJ are some good examples. As far as PJ is concerned, you'll only get as close as is possible in the sonic realm.
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,917

7/9/03, MSG
  • Options

7/9/03, MSG
    Ah, thanks! This was the tour they broke it out quite a bit.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    the tag at the end of Betterman had probably half the crowd in tears. Thank you EV and PJ for one of the most amazing experiences show wise 11 years ago today
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    BinFrog said:

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,296
    Hartford 13 is not to shabby ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BubbaBubba Posts: 630
    Amazing show, out of the 40 shows I've been to, definitely in the top 3. Just an amazing night.
  • Options

the tag at the end of Betterman had probably half the crowd in tears. Thank you EV and PJ for one of the most amazing experiences show wise 11 years ago today

"they can be so strong when their young...."- One of the best versions of BM I've ever heard.
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722

That crowd on Alive was really something else. Too bad the boot doesn't reflect it all that well.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Mike D88 said:

That crowd on Alive was really something else. Too bad the boot doesn't reflect it all that well.
    Yeah...it was nuts
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    OctopuS27OctopuS27 Portugal Posts: 569
    you problably know that when a song is announced
    so once Ed went and announce one for us, it was a three worded song but we just needed one...
    Black...very LOUD...Red & Yellow...very funny his face thinking we all knew what it was
    96 Cascais, where that Immortality drum solo dosen't get out of your head :)>-
  • Options
    Alive in St.Louis 03' has some great crowd interaction at the end.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I was at both the Spectrum '03 and Hartford....Philly was louder.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    Could be but in Missoula a couple years ago half way through the show EV said, "You guys are so FUCKING loud I need to go get some aspirin". And, of course, we all reacted by going ape shit! :-)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

yes and no. i think the crowd comes across on boot well but it was even sicker in the room. i think when Ed 1st goes to talk he just stops because the crowd is going crazy and you get that on the boot. i remember between the end of the 1st set and before the 1st encore people just going crazy and people banging on the signs and seats and such. i've been to 21 shows now and really nothing i've seen has come close to the noise level in the room that night. even the 4 night run to close the Spectrum wasn't as loud as that night in my opinion.
    I remember that distinctly. He was in awe and just had to step back from the mic. Well, either he was in awe or he LITERALLY couldn't hear himself talk. Probably both.

I just don't know what did it that day. It was a very special show. I just remember everything about that day in general. The weather was BEAUTIFUL after a long winter, so I think maybe people were just fired up to be out and about.

Another factor could have been that it was just before finals week at most colleges in the area. I was at Villanova at the time and we were in that kind of dead week of classes ending but finals not yet beginning. Probably the same was true for Penn and I had a buddy from Rutgers who came to the show and had just finished his finals. Between the nice weather and the college year winding down, I think we had a lot of people in good spirits (and had imbibed in plenty of spirits).

Maybe that was it. I don't know...bottom line is that it was just phenomenal and I haven't seen a show like it since. They've come close a few times but haven't quite reached that level of epicness at the subsequent shows I've attended!
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    What did it, was the fact that it was the first actual Philly show(not across the River) since the early tours at JC Dobbs or the Troc... People were jacked that it was at the Spectrum too.

Prior to the band coming on people were nutty....cant tell you how many beach balls were being thrown around the seat, etc.
  • Options
    I wasn't at 4/28/03, but heard it was very very loud.

I was at 10/30/09 and 10/31/09 in the Spectrum and would have to say 10/30/09 was the loudest crowd I've heard. Just listen to the In Hiding from that night.