Options

3+ hours shows no more?

PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Edit:
my mistake then, the long shows are a rarity...the gigs were talked up to me for the last 6 years so I guess I got it around in my disturbed mind that they were all 'epic'.
And after such a long wait, the fantastic Astoria just went in a flash!

my mistake, stop banging me, I got it :o :sheepish:

original post
It's my first tour but it looks like I've missed the good old days for sure.
I'd assume at the Astoria that it was short (I could have withstood another 2 hours easy!) being a promo gig and not a regular one.

But by the sound of it, the Toronto one last night was about the same length as Astoria and IP, 2 hours.

yes it's a great 2 hours but considering that they 'have' to play quite a lot of the new album (I don't mind at all), that leaves far less time for older songs.

any thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Major ClodMajor Clod Posts: 81
    How regular were 3+ hour shows though?? Most of them seem to be around the 2-2 1/2 hour mark aren't they....

I'm sure they are just getting warmed up, they'll probably have a couple of epic gigs in the tour I'm sure!
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    It's my first tour but it looks like I've missed the good old days for sure.
    I'd assume at the Astoria that it was short (I could have withstood another 2 hours easy!) being a promo gig and not a regular one.

But by the sound of it, the Toronto one last night was about the same length as Astoria and IP, 2 hours.

yes it's a great 2 hours but considering that they 'have' to play quite a lot of the new album (I don't mind at all), that leaves far less time for older songs.

any thoughts?

but name 10 3hours + shows.
    more than 3 hours was and still will be the exception.

so 2hours+ was and will be standard
    i think
  • Options
    I got the impression from my mates (they're probably clocking 30+ gigs each) that most were close to that 3 hours mark...maybe they just made it sound like that (though there's a few I know they saw that have a very long playlist!)

checking some random setlists, yeah I guess (by the number of songs) that there isn't much change...
    ..just went by so quickly :)
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Ive attended 42 shows so far and I can tell you that 3+ is not the norm and is by no means the usual thing, there is a few shows that I have attended that have been 3 hours but those are the rare ones, the majority of shows I have attended throughout the years have been 2 1/2 (22-25 songs).

Toronto was a pretty standard set at 24 songs...
    3+ hours is something you shouldnt go to the show specting because unless its one of "those nights" its not what they usually do.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    ok, fair enough! :)
    glad to be corrected.
  • Options
    jjmofojjmofo Posts: 47
    We need to keep in mind that these guys are now in their 40's. I expect the shows will be in the 20-23 songs range. Let's cut them some slack. If cutting off 2 or 3 songs every night means more shows and more tours, I'm all for it.
  • Options
    vitalpj10vitalpj10 Posts: 142
    Toronto had 26 songs I believe.
    Also it started @ 8:45 and ended @ 11:10 so it was a 2hr 25 minute show.

People seem to get a little spoiled, evidently. You had a great show, who cares if they played 20, 30 minutes more. I would take 30 minutes less of a awesome show, then a 30 minute longer bad show...

Who really cares.

If this is your major concern, then your loss. I myself will just sit back and enjoy the show.
    ...I thought the world, turns out the word thought me
  • Options
    pjdeadheadpjdeadhead Posts: 71
    I have been to 21 shows and 3+ hours is a special night. Only 2 shows that I have been to have stuck out as extra long,the imfamous Soldier Field show and Alpine Valley 2003.
    3/28/92 3/10/94 3/14/94 7/8/95 7/9/95
    7/11/95 6/26/98 6/27/98 6/29/98 6/30/98
    7/2/98 8/18/00 10/8/00 (coldest show ever!!)
    10/9/00 4/21/03 4/22/03 4/23/03 4/25/03
    6/18/03 6/21/03 6/22/03 5/16/06 5/17/06
    On the horizon....
    6/29/06 6/30/06
  • Options
    Aswong1Aswong1 Posts: 5
    Sounds like I was spoiled with my first show being the 3 and 1/2 hour 7/11/03 show in Mansfield... :)
  • Options
    mlpjmlpj Posts: 4
    Yes, of course, 7/11/03 was special; I was there and felt so lucky to be a part of it. They did two sets in that show which is the only reason it was 3 1/2 hours. The main set was 2 1/2 which is standard.
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    i seem to remember people whinging about the length of the shows when the 2003 tour started, think Brisbane was only 23 song setlist. Relax!!!! there just warming up
    It's Evolution, Baby!