Every day is Earth Day. Let's talk about ways to make it better.

12346»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,690
    I know this subject mainly relates to Japan and their use of nuclear energy, but I hope it is also seen as a plea to do our part to care for our oceans.

That subject was brought back to my attention, yet again, in a rather shocking way today when a customer came in asking for a book, Galileo's Daughter, and we got to talking about this and that and the other thing.  Amid the conversation, the fellow mentioned that he is a zoologist as well as a sea diver.  We were talking about a mutual favorite stretch of the California coastline and he told us that he thinks that area will see a decline in population in the coming years.  I asked why and he said because the abalone season has been cancelled this year and that abalone is a big part of that area's economy.  He went into some fairly technical details about coastal marine ecosystems and problems with massive kelp die-off and mollusk starvation.  He did some diving not too long ago to see what the abalone populations looked like and he said he found several that were attached to rocks (which is what they do) but that they were dead and only attached by non-living membranes.  He told us he believes these serious breeches to the balance of these ecosystems are likely due to heavy metals and other toxins that have made their way across the ocean  from Japan since the breakdown of the nuclear power plants that was a result of the 2014 earthquake and tsunami.

This is some heavy shit.  Once again, this illustrates how serious the situation with our oceans is.  All life stems from the ocean.  If the oceans die... etc.  I know I focus a lot on this kind of thing and perhaps it gets old and for that I apologize, but I still believe if we are aware of these things, share that information, and do our part, we can reduce these harmful impacts on the planet.  It only makes sense to do that.

"Pretty cookie heart squares all around, hey!"
    -Smile
    M.I.T.S.

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USAPosts: 2,664
    Smellyman said:
    vaggar99 said:
    grow some food and share it with your friends.
    I don't get some things in life.  We know homes can grow food, produce their own power now, collect their own water etc.  But very few do it.  In bizarro land a certain POTUS will make it more difficult for you to do so.

This should be celebrated and darn near mandatory

it's one of the cheapest and most rewarding hobbies a person can take on.  and yes, if even half the people living in suburban neighborhoods like me farmed, the world would be much different.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 40,949
    edited July 5
    Pruitt just resigned because of all the questions about his ethics (another great choice that Trump made! He sure loves ethically compromised people!). I would say that this is good news for the EPA and the environment, but I can't, because the deputy chief who will step in at least for now is a fucking coal lobbyist. And if Trump chooses someone else as a permanent chief, I have total confidence in Trump's ability to make the worst choice imaginable so that his anti-environment goals can continue to be met. :disappointed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/07/05/embattled-epa-chief-scott-pruitt-resigns/?utm_term=.1b2dd080564e&wpisrc=al_news__alert-politics--alert-national&wpmk=1

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SmellymanSmellyman AsiaPosts: 3,195
  • PapPap Serres, GreecePosts: 19,493
    ^ I'll do what I want here... Irresponsibly... :wink:
    Ooh, yeah! All right!
    Were [Pearl] jammin
    I wanna [Pearl] jam it wid you.
    Were [Pearl] jammin, [Pearl] jammin
    And I hope you like [Pearl] jammin too.

Sep 30, 2006 - OAKA Sports Hall - Athens, Greece
    Jul 11, 2014 - Milton Keynes Bowl - Milton Keynes, UK
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business...Posts: 1,257
    A local mall

Devonshire Mall's new food court opens, $70M makeover continues

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/devonshire-malls-new-food-court-opens-70m-makeover-continues

From The Article...

There are no garbage cans in the food court. Customers can leave garbage on the tables or take their tray to one of two recycling stations where workers sort garbage into recyclables and organic waste. Savard said the food court has a 92 per cent diversion rate to keep more garbage out of the landfill.

A local mall

Devonshire Mall's new food court opens, $70M makeover continues

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/devonshire-malls-new-food-court-opens-70m-makeover-continues

From The Article...

There are no garbage cans in the food court. Customers can leave garbage on the tables or take their tray to one of two recycling stations where workers sort garbage into recyclables and organic waste. Savard said the food court has a 92 per cent diversion rate to keep more garbage out of the landfill.

Totally cool! 
    -Smile
    M.I.T.S.

One thing we could do is get somebody FAR better to replace Pruitt.

Adios, dude.

-Smile
    M.I.T.S.

12346»