Why does PJ hate south florida?

In all seriousness...what the hail when it comes to south Florida? It's been 6 years since the band I love so much has been down here. I'd be better off living in Buenos Aires. Give us a break already. been too long.
Tagged:

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,385
    Mosquitos. maybe gators, too.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • i do realize that ed's been down here multiple times recently and they were great shows. very grateful. but i'm ready for the full band to hit us up.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Could be Minneapolis/St. Paul. We haven't had a PJ shown in over 8 years, and those they opened for Petty. You have to go back 11 years since they played here as headliners.
  • i feel you st. paul. my only defense is that it takes 6 hours just to drive out of the state from here, so traveling to a show is tough too... no bugs in the winter, and gators are super-cool.
  • and before 2008, it was another four year gap. ah, the good ol days of vote for change.
  • ogey38ogey38 Posts: 563
    Nothing in NE/IA since 2003.....
    Mid-America Center Council Bluffs, IA - Jun 13, 2003
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Lincoln, NE - Oct 9, 2014
    Global Citizen's Festival, NYC - Sept 26, 2015
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Maybe PJ will discover Luna Rex and have that most excellent Southern FL band open for them down there!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Yep, Gators.

Wind this thing up.

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    This is hilarious. Do people really think they HATE a specific area of a specific state? C'mon
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    nicknyr15 said:

This is hilarious. Do people really think they HATE a specific area of a specific state? C'mon

They hate some places.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • do you really think i really think they hate an area? hyperbole anyone?
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    What about the great state of Maine?!?! No shows since 1996.

For shame, Pearl Jam. For shame!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    What about West Virginia? No shows ever!
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,385

What about West Virginia? No shows ever!

hillbillies.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • jmuscatellojmuscatello Colorado Posts: 332
    JimmyV said:

What about the great state of Maine?!?! No shows since 1996.

For shame, Pearl Jam. For shame!

isn't Maine pretty darn close to Boston?
    and for the West Virginians - weren't there 2013 shows in Pittsburgh and Charlottesville?
    I know it's hard to be forgotten, but you've had shows within reasonable driving distances I'd think
  • shepshep Houston Posts: 5,644

nicknyr15 said:

They hate some places.
    Pretty sure Houston's on that list.

I mean, Ed's got a sister here, and they still elect to play all their shows in this state in smaller cities.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • arqarq Posts: 7,935
    I've heard from an inside source they really don't like the south because they don't sold out like in the North East. which is understandable, but c'mon!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Q: Why does PJ hate south florida?
    A: LeBron
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,491
    arq said:

I've heard from an inside source they really don't like the south because they don't sold out like in the North East. which is understandable, but c'mon!

Right, it is either about money or music.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,172
    1 - too hot and humid
    2 - stand your ground laws
    3 - old people
    4 - hurricanes
    5 - Lebron
    6 - the Marlins owner is a douche
    7 - It ain't philly
    8 - Goofy scares McCready
  • pjhawks said:

1 - too hot and humid
    2 - stand your ground laws
    3 - old people
    4 - hurricanes
    5 - Lebron
    6 - the Marlins owner is a douche
    7 - It ain't philly
    8 - Goofy scares McCready

all good reasons why we need the relief of a good pj show. plus we can't drive anywhere close to see them. plus, stop hating on lebron. plus, goofy is nowhere close to miami or fort lauderdale.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    Although they do often sell out the West Palm shows (or at least fill them up enough to add a second date), I sometimes wonder if the crowd excitement level is lacking which makes them not too into it. And its not because we dont get excited, its that its so hot, we often are overly laid back. ;)
    brianlux said:

Maybe PJ will discover Luna Rex and have that most excellent Southern FL band open for them down there!

This guy ^^^ knows what he's talking about. :D haha i wouldshit my pants x2.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • dgerlach720dgerlach720 Posts: 158
    arq said:

not true, last three PJ shows in West Palm sold out, Last two Eddie Vedder shows in FLL sold out.

• dgerlach720dgerlach720 Posts: 158
    Cosmo said:

Q: Why does PJ hate south florida?
    A: LeBron

No, that's The Black Keys.....
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    Same reason most ppl don't like South Florida. Luckily, when I lived there in the 90s...they loved it. However, it was a much different place back then.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    If you don't like Fl go fuck yourself and enjoy the shitty state you live in.WPB,Tampa always max out and Ive never been to a lame PJ show in So Fl.Im pretty sure there is no hate involved on the bands behalf.We usually get a stop on most tours as we will in 2014.Cruzan Amphitheatre has a spot hold on for Pearl jam for"later part of 2014".Ive been told this by more then one credible source.So there you go,relax.Fyi look up PJ tour history and most So Fl dates are either in spring or fall.Also hearing a possible return to Midtown music fest in late sept in Atl.
    rr165892 said:

If you don't like Fl go fuck yourself and enjoy the shitty state you live in.WPB,Tampa always max out and Ive never been to a lame PJ show in So Fl.Im pretty sure there is no hate involved on the bands behalf.We usually get a stop on most tours as we will in 2014.Cruzan Amphitheatre has a spot hold on for Pearl jam for"later part of 2014".Ive been told this by more then one credible source.So there you go,relax.Fyi look up PJ tour history and most So Fl dates are either in spring or fall.Also hearing a possible return to Midtown music fest in late sept in Atl.

Great Florida attitude buddy. Hate to break it to you but I was at '08 Cruzan...one of the worst crowds I've witnessed. Thank goodness I got to go to MSG 1 & 2 that year to make up for it.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    "We usually get a stop on most tours as we will in 2014"

LOL
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    edited April 2014

Although they do often sell out the West Palm shows (or at least fill them up enough to add a second date), I sometimes wonder if the crowd excitement level is lacking which makes them not too into it. And its not because we dont get excited, its that its so hot, we often are overly laid back. ;)

When was the last time they played back to back shows in WPB?...it was a long time ago. South Florida music scene was really great in the 90s and that is why they would end tour legs there. Much has changed since then. Sorry to burst the bubble but there is some misplaced history running thru this thread. Crowd excitement was off the chain in the mid to late 90s...heat is a bad excuse...if anything it would affect the band not the crowd (should be used to it).
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis