Options

"What's lurking in your lake?"

Has anyone else heard about these cases? I am sure the families of these missing people are happy to finally know what happened to them. But it seems so strange. Two vehicles were recently found in a lake in Oklahoma. Both vehicles in this lake were missing from 1969 - 1970 and contained the remains of at least 5 people. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/09/18/223711703/2-cars-5-or-6-bodies-from-decades-ago-found-in-oklahoma-lake

This case was 2 girls whose car went into a creek in South Dakota in 1971 and were discovered when the creek levels dropped. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/16/303654545/43-year-old-cold-case-closed-south-dakota-girls-died-in-accident?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20140416
And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    ya ... that's pretty crazy that they've managed to stay undiscovered for so long ...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Just think about what's in our Oceans ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

It's like another universe down there, all those vessels sunk both intentionally and not...and that's aside from the incredibly resilient and gorgeous lifeforms that have evolved over time.

And yeah, polaris...I always figured that "drag the lake" was part of the protocol when it came to missing persons, though maybe it was different at that time.

At least the families know they've been found, but I'm not sure the why's and how's will ever come to light.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I know one of the things in our lake behind our house is at least 1 6 foot alligator. He/she comes out from the tree shadows each morning and sits there waiting for me or someone to feed him. He/she gives our Datsun Snoopy hard stares like as if Snoopy is lunch.

I don't think any bodies are in there but I did have a dream a small plane crashed in there while I was BBQ ing steaks.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    I sometimes wonder what lurks at the bottom Lake Tahoe (depth, 1,644 feet/ 501 meters) or Oregon's Crater Lake (depth 1,946 feet/ 594meters)- both of which I've been on- not to mention Lake Baikal in Siberia (depth, 5,712 feet/ 1,741 meters).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    hedonist said:

It's like another universe down there, all those vessels sunk both intentionally and not...and that's aside from the incredibly resilient and gorgeous lifeforms that have evolved over time.

And yeah, polaris...I always figured that "drag the lake" was part of the protocol when it came to missing persons, though maybe it was different at that time.

At least the families know they've been found, but I'm not sure the why's and how's will ever come to light.
    it is bizarre in that when you read the story ... it wasn't like no one knew where they were at any point ... they were traveling with a group of guys (in another vehicle) when they went missing ... you would think if the cops were to trace the route - there would be some tire tracks or something ...

also - how big is this "creek" that it has kept a studebaker under water without anyone seeing it for 40+ years!??
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I'm pretty sure Aaron Hernadez's murder weapon might be in mine ....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata