Options

Another Pearl Jam/Seattle 'landmark' is shutting down...

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Capitol-Hill-restaurant-closing-Tuesday-after-owners-sell-to-developer-255421691.html

SEATTLE -- A longtime Seattle restaurant will serve its final meal this week, after the owners sold their property to one of the largest apartment ownership groups in the country.

Piecora's pizza, at 1401 E Madison St., closes Tuesday night after 32 years on Capitol Hill. The restaurant opened in 1982, serving New York-style pizza to a west coast crowd.

"It's very surreal," said restaurant manager Tim DiJulio, after letting in a crowd of people who had lined up outside the restaurant before opening. "There's a family atmosphere here that you can't put a finger on. It's hard to put into words."

DiJulio, who has been at the restaurant for two decades, said the pizzeria had been overwhelmed by customers since announcing of the closure.

"I wanted to be here one more time and to say goodbye," said Bob Riley, as he waited for a cheese pizza during Tuesday's lunch hour. "It's bittersweet. I'm really happy for the family. I don't blame them at all for what they're doing - the economics of it - but I'm really sad to see this place go."

Chicago-based Equity Residential bought the property that houses Piecora's and a tattoo parlor for a reported $10.3 million earlier this month.

"It's a big thing but this is where (the neighborhood is) going," added DiJulio. "You go back to New York; SoHo's not what it was. The Village is kind of not what it was. Ballard isn't even to me what it was."

"I'm happy for what they've achieved but I'm sad they're leaving. It's my favorite place for a pizza," added Mark Stepich of Madrona, who came for Tuesday lunch but also bought a second pizza to save.

"I'm going to freeze this for my brother-in-law. He's in LA. He's got this place on speed dial," joked Stepich. "He's going to owe me serious to not consume this immediately."

The restaurant planned to stay open until 9 p.m. Tuesday night and then have a private party for staff and regulars. One of the owners said she wasn't ruling out reopening in another location in the future.

"This to me is an icon. Losing Piecora's is a really big blow," added Riley, "and it scares me for so many other institutions around here."
350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,743
    On April 13th? Mike McCready stopped by & was jamming with a few friends @ that restaurant.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    This is bad for us as a society as it strips us of our originality and culture. I grew up in NorCal just outside of Berkeley. All through my youth Cal was surrounded by little one off shops, awesome music stores like Amoeba music, tons of Head shops and some of the best hole in the wall eateries in NorCal. Then about 5-7 years ago the one off shops started being replaced by the Gap and other chains. I haven't been back home since as I can't stand to see what has happened. All that history from the 60's is pretty much gone and now the area is becoming just another strip mall.

Good for the family of the pizza shop as after all those years of hard work their family is probably set now for the next few generations. Bad for us as a society.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Saw this via Rick Friel's Instagram. Sad indeed....had a slice when I visited back in 02'
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    I thought the name sounded familiar this is the guy from FTM!!
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)