Options

WINNER!!!!! GIVEAWAY - VAULT 3 LP!

2»

Comments

• Options
    ogey38ogey38 Posts: 563
    Such a generous offer! I have a friend of over 30 years that mentioned in passing that she would love to go to PJ20, but there was no way she could afford it. She was having trouble making the mortgage, father just passed, and she was in a car accident that totaled her truck. So, with this info in my back pocket, I was lucky enough to get 2 tickets to PJ20 thru 10C. I didn't tell my friend, but did call her and told her to pack a weekend bag and I'd pick her up on 9-1.

We were on the interstate, and she asked where we were going. I put Lost Dogs in the CD player and told her we were going to Wi.....the look on her face was absolutely priceless! She was over the top excited, and we blared PJ all the way! I saw her today, and she mentioned that weekend and how much she appreciated the treat. In my mind, I was the lucky one to be able to pay it forward. She has been such a great friend for so many years that even WI couldn't repay her.
    Mid-America Center Council Bluffs, IA - Jun 13, 2003
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Lincoln, NE - Oct 9, 2014
    Global Citizen's Festival, NYC - Sept 26, 2015
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Of all the nice things people have done for me over the years, there is one that sticks in my mind. It isn't the most grand or expensive thing anyone has done, but it is something I have grown to remember and shaped me later in life. I was in the 4th grade and didn't have the best home life and my family was very poor. The combination of these things caused me to have a complex and act out like many young kids do. I always spoke out in class and picked on other kids to try and fit in with the "cool" kids. One day during class I kept interrupting the teacher and I could tell it was frustrating her which caused me to do it more. Finally, the teacher who was fairly young and new, literally yelled "shut up, do you have diarrhea of the mouth?" Now as you can imagine, this caused a class full of fourth graders to laugh hysterically in unison. I was mortified, embarrassed and immediately lifted my desk lid up and put my head in it to try and hide the fact that I was crying. That is when a quiet, akward, poor like myself young lady came over to me and put her hand on my shoulder and said "it's ok, they are all laughing with you, not at you". Now this was of course not the case and it didn't make me feel a whole lot better at the time, but it did impact me in a way I am sure she hadn't intended. You see, she was one of the less fortunate that was picked on a lot for not following the herd (kids can be so cruel), and I was guilty of making fun of her myself at times. She never acted out or fought back, instead choosing to always be kind and helpful to others. I won't say my entire life changed from that day forward but I can say I became friends with her through the rest of my time at that elementary school. I have grown infinitely since being that scared confused boy in the fourth grade and I always think of how the simplest of gestures could possibly change the course of someone's day or even life. You never know what a kind gesture can do for someone. It probably took me a long time to fully realize it but when I think of things that have shaped my adult life and behavior towards others, that has become something I look back to. I was too young to understand the significance of it then, but what a saint that girl was.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

Of all the nice things people have done for me over the years, there is one that sticks in my mind. It isn't the most grand or expensive thing anyone has done, but it is something I have grown to remember and shaped me later in life. I was in the 4th grade and didn't have the best home life and my family was very poor. The combination of these things caused me to have a complex and act out like many young kids do. I always spoke out in class and picked on other kids to try and fit in with the "cool" kids. One day during class I kept interrupting the teacher and I could tell it was frustrating her which caused me to do it more. Finally, the teacher who was fairly young and new, literally yelled "shut up, do you have diarrhea of the mouth?" Now as you can imagine, this caused a class full of fourth graders to laugh hysterically in unison. I was mortified, embarrassed and immediately lifted my desk lid up and put my head in it to try and hide the fact that I was crying. That is when a quiet, akward, poor like myself young lady came over to me and put her hand on my shoulder and said "it's ok, they are all laughing with you, not at you". Now this was of course not the case and it didn't make me feel a whole lot better at the time, but it did impact me in a way I am sure she hadn't intended. You see, she was one of the less fortunate that was picked on a lot for not following the herd (kids can be so cruel), and I was guilty of making fun of her myself at times. She never acted out or fought back, instead choosing to always be kind and helpful to others. I won't say my entire life changed from that day forward but I can say I became friends with her through the rest of my time at that elementary school. I have grown infinitely since being that scared confused boy in the fourth grade and I always think of how the simplest of gestures could possibly change the course of someone's day or even life. You never know what a kind gesture can do for someone. It probably took me a long time to fully realize it but when I think of things that have shaped my adult life and behavior towards others, that has become something I look back to. I was too young to understand the significance of it then, but what a saint that girl was.

This made me smile.
  • Options
    Hi there, this is very nice of you to do this! Just your post of generosity put a smile on my face. However, I do have a little story to tell. I have met so many great people in the PJ community. I don't have many friends, but these people and 1 in particular (you know who you are D) sends me emails know and again, to stay in touch. These emails are precious to me and I look forward to them always. That this person takes the time to send me emails is the most generous, joyful experience I have had in a long time! Thank you for reading my little tale of kindness!
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done."
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    edited April 2014
    When I think selflessness, I really do think of this community, and here are a few reasons:

-When my father died, I reached out on here and the response was overwhelming. People I didn't even know in person took the time out of their day to write me messages of comfort and hope. I couldn't believe the kindness, and it helped me greatly.

-At Made In America, my friend was rudely and aggressively pushed out of the way by a man who pretty much stole an EV pick right out from under her. Through this community, someone gifted me the same EV pick for me to gift to her. It was amazing and kind and the reaction I got from my friend when she received the pick almost brought me to tears.

-I met my boyfriend through the PJ community. We were friends first for a long time, then feelings developed and recently, we decided to begin a relationship. After I graduate I plan on moving near where he lives, but my mother doesn't support this very much, which is deeply saddening and difficult on many levels. My man has been the most selfless, wonderful person throughout this all, supporting me emotionally and through making sure when I move I have everything that I need already taken care of. I still can't believe I have found someone as amazing as him, and if I win this vinyl, I will give it to him for us to spin on his record player! :)

Also selfless--giveaways like this! Thank YOU!
    Post edited by samjam on
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,070
    WOW the stories are awesome so far! I hope you all are enjoying reading them as much as we are!
  • Options
    Happy Easter everyone!
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    edited April 2014
    Same to you and your family!!! Happy Easter 11yrs ago my wife became my girlfriend on 420:) 6yrs ago on Easter she became me fiance. Last Easter we found out we were prego and this Easter 11yrs later Jacob is getting his 1st tooth. Needless to say Easter means alot to this family!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone for your stories and for sharing some excellent POSITIVE ENERGY on the board.
    AND......

CONGRATS TO AURYNSDAD!!!
    aurynsdad said:

The second thing happened when I was in high school in Marin County, California. I worked in the dining room of a very upscale senior living facility as a waiter. There was one lady who scared all the staff. She was just so stern, and if I got something wrong on her place setting for instance, she would slap my hand. Still, I had been taught to respect my elders, and I enjoyed talking with her when she wasn't in a foul mood. I had heard about the critically acclaimed Phantom of the Opera production going on in San Francisco, and somehow it came out during a conversation that I would love to take my grandmother to it if I could afford tickets (she had taken me all over the place, to canyons and old California Missions, even Hawaii). One of the things she had taken me to was a symphony performance, and I knew she would love that show. So one day, I get back to the table to bus the plates and I see that there's an envelope with my name on it. Inside are two tickets for really good seats. You better believe I took my grandma, and we both loved it. A couple of things about this story: first of all, it was forbidden for them to give us tips (I don't know why), so she kind of broke the rules doing this for me. Second, I made a lot of friends there, and it's really sad to think that not a one of them is with us anymore. Mrs. Seidall taught me two very important lessons that day: Don't judge a book by its cover, and practice random acts of kindness!

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Congrats and a great story!
  • Options
    Awesome story! And congrats!!! I love this place!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Congrats to the winner and a great story indeed! It just goes to show that being nice to people - even when they aren't always nice to you - can certainly come back around to you!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Nice! Congrats!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 769
    I just got the news after being away from the internet. This is of course very exciting- I'm relatively new to PJ vinyl collecting and I've heard people talking about this record countless times but I've never heard this show. Thank you whoyouare72! Hope everyone had a great Easter. I will take this as inspiration to pay it forward very soon!
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options

Congrats to the winner and a great story indeed! It just goes to show that being nice to people - even when they aren't always nice to you - can certainly come back around to you!

No doubt. I learned a similar lesson from one of my aunts. When I was little, I was always afraid of her because she is loud, strict and came across as really abrasive. Later on in my life I was able to realize that she has a heart of gold and is an incredible teacher at the school she spent her whole career at. Now she is retired and spends much of her time taking care of the grandma that I took to the show. This is the push I needed- I'm going to schedule a visit with my family to see them!
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    (oh, and of couse than
    aurynsdad said:

I just got the news after being away from the internet. This is of course very exciting- I'm relatively new to PJ vinyl collecting and I've heard people talking about this record countless times but I've never heard this show. Thank you whoyouare72! Hope everyone had a great Easter. I will take this as inspiration to pay it forward very soon!

You're in for a treat! This album is beautiful!
    =D>
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Your Vault 3 is going out in the morning aurynsdad!

AND
    the nicest pearl jam related thing anyone has ever done for me was at Showbox 2002 i was almost shut out of 2nd night. While I was waiting at the end of the line of 200 people hoping to get in 10 minutes before showtime, with scalpers abundant and asking $500 per ticket, my new friend Manuel from Chile came running up to me with an extra he found and said "dude you got $35? DO YOU HAVE $35? and I said "Fuck yeah I do!" and ran in to the show with him! Thanks again Manuel if you see this!!!!!
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    this thread brings us back to good things going on here and great fans being good to one another. awesome
  • Options
    PernillePernille Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 114
    I loved reading through all of these amazing stories. More of this, please!
    2000: Roskilde
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Copenhagen
    2010: London
    2012: Copenhagen
    2014: Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2, Stockholm
    2016: MSG1, MSG2
  • Options

this thread brings us back to good things going on here and great fans being good to one another. awesome

Yes!!! We needed this reminder too!
  • Options
    Arrived today. I am in awe. whoyouare72, you embody the best of Jamily!
  • Options
    I just remembered how much I enjoyed reading this thread a couple years ago. Does anybody else have any other stories to share?
  • Options
    I am re-reading this thread to remind me of the happiness and "grateful for all I have" feelings I had at Wrigley 2013. 
    Great stories in here!