Options

Cliven Bundy

unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
Anyone else following this? Seems to be looking like it could be another federal government standoff where they don't belong. I hope it doesn't turn into another Ruby Ridge or Waco massacre.

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    this is a tough situation here.. He is clearly in violation of the law, and has been for a long time. His claim to the land is just laughable. "My mormon ancestors stole the land from the natives fair and square so it's rightfully mine." what a joke.
    On the other hand...these BLM agents who see little action are packing raging hardons at the chance to don their tactical gear and go abuse a cattle rancher. It seems like more and more in this country the only tool in the law enforcement toolbox is the hammer. And ohhhh how they love to swing it!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    We live an hour from Nevada. I've seen what cattle ranchers have done to the land there and it's horrific.

There's a great piece by Edward Abbey called "The Cowboy and His Cow". Highly recommended. You can read it here:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/environment.html
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    No, not really. But since you asked, the dude and his cows ought to get off my land.

And your source? Robby Soave? A 2010 summer intern. Also, left out a few salient facts in his "article", that a federal judge ruled against the rancher and that he hasn't paid his grazing fees since 1993. And the rancher's association doesn't really support him because, well, maybe, he's a loose canon.

Keep stirring the pot of insurrection. Again, a vacuum, its all happening now because of a certain individual is in the White House.

So, which parts of the Constitution do you have faith in?

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Feds arrived to show that rancher who is boss.

Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    unsung said:

Feds arrived to show that rancher who is boss.

What do you propose they do in this case?

Should every person who says, "Go fuk yourself" to the government be given a pass to do as they please?

Sometimes when you mess with the bull you get the horn.

Maybe I'm missing something here?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    In high school my friend worked part time for a couple that decided it would be a good idea to declare independence and start their own nation and stop paying taxes. Didn't work out so well. 20 cop cars, a few helicoptors surrounded their house and took them to the pokey.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

All for a rancher. Unleash hell!
  • Options
    Statement from Cliven Bundy's daughter.

"I have had people ask me to explain my dad's stance on this BLM fight. Here it is in as simple of terms as I can explain it. There is so much to it, but here it s in a nut shell. My great grandpa bought the rights to the Bunkerville allotment back in 1887 around there. Then he sold them to my grandpa who then turned them over to my dad in 1972. These men bought and paid for their rights to the range and also built waters, fences and roads to assure the survival of their cattle, all with their own money, not with tax dollars. These rights to the land use is called preemptive rights. Some where down the line, to keep the cows from over grazing, came the bureau of land management. They were supposed to assist the ranchers in the management of their ranges while the ranchers paid a yearly allotment which was to be use to pay the BLM wages and to help with repairs and improvements of the ranches. My dad did pay his grazing fees for years to the BLM until they were no longer using his fees to help him and to improve. Instead they began using these money's against the ranchers. They bought all the rest of the ranchers in the area out with they're own grazing fees. When they offered to buy my dad out for a penance he said no thanks and then fired them because they weren't doing their job. He quit paying the BLM but, tried giving his grazing fees to the county, which they turned down. So my dad just went on running his ranch and making his own improvements with his own equipment and his own money, not taxes. In essence the BLM was managing my dad out of business. Well when buying him out didn't work, they used the endangered species card. You've already heard about the desert tortoise. Well that didn't work either, so then began the threats and the court orders, which my dad has proven to be unlawful for all these years. Now their desperate. It's come down to buying the brand inspector off and threatening the County Sheriff. Everything their doing at this point is illegal and totally against the constitution of the United States of America. Now you may be saying," how sad, but what does this have to do with me?" Well, I'll tell you. They will get rid of Cliven Bundy, the last man standing on the Bunkerville allotment and then they will close all the roads so no one can ever go on it again. Next, it's Utah's turn. Mark my words, Utah is next."

"Then there's the issue of the cattle that are at this moment being stolen. See even if dad hasn't paid them, those cattle do belong to him. Regardless where they are they are my fathers property. His herd has been part of that range for over a hundred years, long before the BLM even existed. Now the Feds think they can just come in and remove them and sell them without a legal brand inspection or without my dad's signature on it. They think they can take them over two boarders, which is illegal, ask any trucker. Then they plan to take them to the Richfeild Auction and sell them. All with our tax money. They have paid off the contract cowboys and the auction owner as well as the Nevada brand inspector with our tax dollars. See how slick they are?"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Oh oh so this is the begining of the revolution you've been waiting for ...you might get to use those guns you own ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,786
    a different view

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/04/09/the-federal-government-moved-some-cows-and-nevadas-governor-isnt-happy-about-it/

The federal government isn’t happy. Nevada’s governor isn’t happy. And Cliven Bundy most definitely isn’t happy.

Farmers in Utah? They’re happy now.

All those emotions stem from a long-simmering fight over cows, which boiled over during the weekend.

For more than 20 years, Bundy, a Nevada farmer, has allowed his cattle to graze on federal land, and his main contention is that the government doesn’t really own the land. The Bureau of Land Management finally started rounding up the cows this weekend. They initially wanted to sell them at auction in Utah, but Gov. Gary Herbert argued that the whole controversy needed to be contained to Nevada. He succeeded, according to the Salt Lake Tribune, but Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval is still pissed about the whole affair.

“No cow justifies the atmosphere of intimidation which currently exists nor the limitation of constitutional rights that are sacred to all Nevadans,” Sandoval said in a Tuesday statement. “The BLM needs to reconsider its approach to this matter and act accordingly.”

He took particular issue with the government’s decision to establish a specific area in which residents could protest.

“Most disturbing to me is the BLM’s establishment of a ‘First Amendment Area’ that tramples upon Nevadans’ fundamental rights under the U.S. Constitution,” he said in the statement.

A park service spokeswoman told the Las Vegas Review Journal that the area was intended to do just the opposite. Roads had to be closed to protect safety during the cattle removal, she said, but the service wanted to make sure protestors still had an area to gather.

The fight dates to at least 1993, since which Bundy has refused to pay the federal government fees for his grazing cows, according to the Los Angeles Times. In 1998, a federal court told Bundy to stop letting his cows graze there. And, last July, the same court reaffirmed that order, giving Bundy 45 days to remove the cows before the federal government would. They started Saturday, acting on two federal court orders, they said in a statement that day.

“The BLM and the [National Park Service] have made repeated attempts to resolve this matter administratively and judicially,” the Nevada BLM statement read. “The agencies are now implementing two Federal District Court orders to remove the cattle. The BLM and NPS are working closely with local, state and federal officials to ensure that removal occurs in a safe and orderly manner.”

Bundy has insisted that his family owns rights to the land, which it has been working since the 1880s, according to the Los Angeles Times.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    LA times article

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-vegas-blm-range-war-20140407,0,1480936.story#axzz2yLVSDgc5

LAS VEGAS – Wielding signs and slogans, several hundred demonstrators rallied Monday to support beleaguered cattle rancher Cliven Bundy and his family in a turf battle against the federal government.

They had responded to an alert promising a new skirmish: “Range War begins at the Bundy ranch at 9:30 a.m. We’re going to get the job done!”

Bundy is battling with federal officials over his cattle's grazing on 150 square miles of scrub desert overseen by the Bureau of Land Management. He has refused to pay BLM grazing fees since 1993, arguing in court filings that his Mormon ancestors worked the land long before the BLM was formed, giving him rights that predate federal involvement. His back fees exceed $300,000, he says.

Officials say Bundy is illegally running cattle in the 600,000-acre Gold Butte area, habitat of the federally protected desert tortoise. Last year, a federal court judge ruled that if the 68-year-old veteran rancher did not remove his cattle, they could be seized by the BLM. That seizure began Saturday.

Bundy and his supporters remain unbowed.

“We have hundreds of people here standing behind us,” said Bundy’s daughter Bailey Logue, 22, during a telephone interview Monday from the family ranch, as a rooster crowed in the background. “We’re letting these federal people know that the Bundy family is not the only ones who care what happens to this land.”

Federal authorities have closed off the Gold Butte area and are rounding up what they call “trespass cattle,” many of which belong to Bundy. By Monday, 134 cattle had been impounded, according to the BLM website.

"Cattle have been in trespass on public lands in southern Nevada for more than two decades. This is unfair to the thousands of other ranchers who graze livestock in compliance with federal laws and regulations throughout the West,” the BLM website announced. “The Bureau of Land Management and the National Park Service have made repeated attempts to resolve this matter administratively and judicially. An impoundment of cattle illegally grazing on public lands is now being conducted as a last resort."

Bundy says he "fired the BLM," and vows not to pay one dime to the agency that he accuses of plotting his demise.

A father of 14, Bundy insists that generations of his family have ranched and worked this unforgiving landscape along the Virgin River since the 1880s. He says government over-regulation has driven scores of fellow ranchers out of business in sprawling Clark County, leaving him as the last man standing.

For years Bundy has insisted that his cattle aren't going anywhere. He acknowledges that he keeps firearms at his ranch, 80 miles north of Las Vegas, and has vowed to do "whatever it takes" to defend his animals from seizure.

"I've got to protect my property," he told The Times last year. "If people come to monkey with what's mine, I'll call the county sheriff. If that don't work, I'll gather my friends and kids and we'll try to stop it. I abide by all state laws. But I abide by almost zero federal laws."

In 1998, a federal judge issued a permanent injunction against the white-haired rancher, ordering his cattle off the land and setting off a long series of legal filings.

Environmentalists say it’s time for Bundy to get his cattle off federal land because they are endangering the habitat of creatures who have been there for eons.

"Despite having no legal right to do so, cattle from Bundy’s ranch have continued to graze throughout the Gold Butte area, competing with tortoises for food, hindering the ability of plants to recover from extensive wildfires, trampling rare plants, damaging ancient American Indian cultural sites and threatening the safety of recreationists,” the nonprofit Center for Biological Diversity said in a statement.

The group added, “Surveys by the BLM have found well over 1,000 cattle — many in easily damaged freshwater springs and riparian areas on public lands managed by the National Park Service and state of Nevada as well as the BLM.”

Despite the court order, Bundy has refused to remove one head of cattle from BLM land. "At first I said, 'No,'" he told The Times last year. "Then I said, 'Hell, no.'"

Bailey Logue said her father was meeting with Clark County Sheriff Douglas Gillespie in Las Vegas Monday.

The sheriff recently told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that neither Bundy nor the BLM should resort to violence. “No drop of human blood is worth spilling over any cow,” he told the newspaper.

But the family says violence has already occurred. BLM officials “roughed up” 37-year-old Dave Bundy, Cliven Bundy’s son, on Sunday as he tried to take pictures of cattle being taken from the federal land, Bailey Logue says.

In a statement Monday, the BLM said the younger Bundy was arrested after “failure to comply with multiple requests by BLM law enforcement to leave the temporary closure area on public lands.”

Dave Bundy was released on Monday. It was unclear whether he would face charges.

The Bundy family vows the war will continue.

“My ancestors created the rights to that land one hundred and some odd years ago,” Bailey Logue said. “And we’re not giving them up.”

Dig that last quote.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options
    Harry Reid wants the land for a solar project.
  • Options
    http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/wo/blm_library/tech_notes.Par.29872.File.dat/TN_444.pdf

They are looking at getting a Chinese company to build it.

Reid has been bought off.
  • Options
    BLM has already spent more money occupying this ranch than they claim he owes them.

So what's it really about?
  • Options
    unsung said:

BLM has already spent more money occupying this ranch than they claim he owes them.

So what's it really about?

Law and order?
  • Options
    unsung said:

Harry Reid wants the land for a solar project.

Sorry to hear that.

As pointed out elsewhere, both cattle and massive solar arrays (often trumpeted by misguided "environmentalists") ruin desert lands. Oh, and military operations, of course. The last time I spent some time camping out in Nevada I drove home through an area where in the visible distance they were bombing the hell out of the place. Nevada is seen as a wasteland but usually for the wrong reasons- many people associate desert with "waste lands" but it's human's activity that has truly made it thus.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I'd like to point out at "the endangered species card" is the exact same political trick that the US government pulled on the native inhabitants of the atoll Diego-Garcia is know located on. Just a little cross-headline info I picked up doing cursory research. Seriously, go read the D-G wiki page. They were literally exposed via a leaked internal memo as deliberately "playing the endangered species card" as a political trick to bar the inhabitants from any legal recourse. definitely a sneaky trick.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options

I'd like to point out at "the endangered species card" is the exact same political trick that the US government pulled on the native inhabitants of the atoll Diego-Garcia is know located on. Just a little cross-headline info I picked up doing cursory research. Seriously, go read the D-G wiki page. They were literally exposed via a leaked internal memo as deliberately "playing the endangered species card" as a political trick to bar the inhabitants from any legal recourse. definitely a sneaky trick.

We could pull that card on ourselves.

• Options
    Feds have now turned off cell towers and created a no fly zone over the ranch.
  • Options
    unsung said:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/wo/blm_library/tech_notes.Par.29872.File.dat/TN_444.pdf

Have any facts you'd like to share to back your claim that Reid "has been bought off?"

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsung said:

Feds have now turned off cell towers and created a no fly zone over the ranch.

Have a link you'd like to share to back this claim? From a reputable source mind you.

Peace.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsung said:

Have you read the report? Seriously, have you read the report?

Peace.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    My sources are those on the scene, I don't need MSM for my news.

Latest update is that BLM is packing it up.
  • Options
  • Options
    But did you read the report you linked to? Or do you have any proof that "Reid was bought off?"

Yea, Infowars is an unbiased source of news. Keep relying on that for your "facts." Cooler heads prevailed. Guess you can cancel that trip to Nevada, huh?

Peace.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    unsung said:
    I have come to understand the following:

1. Bundy is a rancher that lets his cattle graze on public land which is also protected.
    2. He refuses to pay government fees attached to his cattle's grazing activities- violating federal law.
    3. He lets his cows graze there so he doesn't have to feed them himself.
    4. He sells his cattle for an 'increased' profit given his low costs typically associated with raising cattle.
    5. After 20 years of ignoring the government, the government is taking action against this man.

I have read the 'other side'... but I still am not feeling the same way as you are. What am I missing here so that I might think like you?