Options

Some ideas about "flipping."

veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
edited April 2014 in The Porch
Just a few ideas that hail from observations here about people's complaints. Feel free to chip in.

°Tenclub announce the release of any limited editions by email and early, at least on Wednesday or Thursday.

°They do the presale simultaneously on a Saturday or Sunday when less people are at work and in 3 different announced timezones, 12:00 hrs Pacific, 20:00 hrs Europe and 09:00 Australasia.

°Stop making the releases quite so limited, 5000 is still limited and will still sell effortlessly.

°Stop doing deals with stores which go against your supposed anti-flipping policy, limited to 5 per member etc...

°Make a 3 month amnesty on Lost Dogs for selling new items, it creates animosity with fans who missed out when they see a $35 poster for $200+
Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
Post edited by veddertown on

Comments

• Options
    I have 4 kids that play soccer. I am out in the world all weekend.

I miss plenty of stuff. Is it really all that important? Weekends work for you. It doesn't work for others. It also doesn't work for the folks that have to "man the controls" (ie work the weekend for your convenience). Give it up. You like a band from another country, you have the time zone issue, not the band or it's club.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    OP is tryin to help. No need to chastise him. So many butt hurt people on here nowadays...
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    It's not actually my problem as I don't have a time zone problem and rarely take advantage of these "offers" anyway. If you want to be negative towards me for having ideas that would help reduce half of the complaint threads here so be it but I don't remember saying anyone should actually do anything about this. Simply ideas that might stop some of the complaining. Enjoy your weekend out in the world.

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    A-fucking-men on the last one.

=D>
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,931
    I think the only reasonable solution that people would find fair is to do the made to order thing. Just like vault 3. Give people a 2 week window 3-4 months ahead of time.

I see a lot less complaining (which is amazing given that there is a lot here) about Vault 3. In the end, it's still pretty limited, but almost everyone who wanted one got it. So it's probably the only reasonable solution. That being said, it's not always the most practice for some releases.
  • Options
    :) Yeah. I'm the negative one. :((
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options

:) Yeah. I'm the negative one. :((

Glad you recognise that dude... I-)

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,849
    watch out, Kat closed the last thread about flipping (and people who said it was ok to do what you want with your stuff) but there's still tons of "flipping threads over on lost dogs.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    nm219369nm219369 Posts: 204
    They can do what Metallica did for the "Doris" edition of their through the never movie. Fan club members had awhile to put their name In for one. If you got drawn you had a week to purchase.
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    IMO it depends on what type of item it is. If its numbered like Coke ten, then what difference does it make. Everyone who wanted one and didn't get one will bitch. If it is like sevens then a preorder would be great.

If people get that butt hurt on lost dogs that sucks but that's the way the trading game goes. If it gets canned from Lost Dogs then it will just go direct to ebay and none of the "good people" on here will be able to trade their stuff for the possibility of getting one.

Are people really bitching about how limited a limited edition is?

Does anyone think coke ten would have been released without Newbury Comics? Would it have ever been a thought?

The ordering system won't handle that many people trying to make a limited edition order when everyone knows about it.There will still be people missing out on limited edition.

I know some people feel slighted but if I was 10C, after hearing all this bitching, I wouldn't bother putting anything like this out again.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,150
    I agree with the pressing of more copies and limiting it to one when also sold elsewhere.

I don't think a pretimed presale is going to make a different. All it means is a slightly different 2000 people get the record. It doesn't solve flipping at all, it just changes it from people who were on the board at the right time, to people who survive the website crashing.

When there's only 2000, lots of people still miss out. It's like the ticket lotto, when there's not enough tickets people get left high n' dry, and it doesn't matter how they get allocated, people miss out. There is no system possible (short of increasing supply) that makes more people happy.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    edited April 2014
    The obvious answer is give people a week to pre-order. Do the production to order...will the price vary? It could. But then they can always just charge "case one" and that's what the price is. 10C will wind up making more money if that's what they need to do. Then the only excuse for members is money. If you don't have the money...then you don't have the money. Work an extra shift, cut back on something a couple days, pack your lunch, get a credit card, get a better job...

Members get their items. Flippers can flip to non-members. Everyone is happy...lol. Except the non-members. Non-members don't like it? Join.

Then there are no excuses/complaints. Done.
    Post edited by JV130312 on
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    JV130312 said:

The obvious answer is give people a week to pre-order. Do the production to order...will the price vary? It could. But then they can always just charge "case one" and that's what the price is. 10C will wind up making more money if that's what they need to do. Then the only excuse for members is money. If you don't have the money...then you don't have the money. Work an extra shift, cut back on something a couple days, pack your lunch, get a credit card, get a better job...

Members get their items. Flippers can flip to non-members. Everyone is happy...lol. Except the non-members. Non-members don't like it? Join.

Then there are no excuses/complaints. Done.

People who collect don't want to buy a $30 record that will still be worth $30 a year from now. And that's what you'll get if they press unlimited quantities. They want to buy a $30 record that might be worth $200 some day. People want to own something that has a perceived value and collectibility (see Benny).
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,849
    Here's my view of flipping (why not add it).

Wrong - If you buy something (or 5 of something) with the intent to go and sell it right away (or trade it right away) for profit. My definition of flipping.

Ify - If you buy 1 of something you want then see it's worth a lot, well I don't know. Best scenario you trade it to another fan who missed out and you're both happy with the outcome. No way do I blame someone who does this. Hopefully they wait until after the initial rush, but whatever, do what you want with your stuff. (Ex. should I trade my coke 10 for a LO2L vinyl? I already have 4 other 10's on vinyl?)

How long till I can sell trade my item and it isn't considered flipping? - apparently the next day in lost dogs and the mods are ok with it. Mods could catch a lot of "if this item is resold you will lost your membership" ppl over there easily. (But they want you to continue your membership).

Added note, I always love the "this won't be worth anything in a few months" - from ppl who didn't score one. And the "Will this is the next Benny" from ppl that did.
    Also not a fan of the ppl who buy 5 for others who missed out on the initial sale. Why should ppl beg you for it??? I understand it's going to "real fans" (supposedly) but some of those other real fans probably missed out because of you, and they were there at the time (or almost) the time of the sale.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,070
    edited April 2014
    Pearl Jam is trying to keep the merchandise out of hands of flippers.
    The reason a pre order won't work is because some people will still miss out but the flippers won't.
    this is the same reason they don't announce (for the most part) when new items are in the shop. They figure the forum junkies are on the board all the time and the lucky few that see the item pop up in the shop will get it rather than telling the flippers when they will be available.

I'm very happy and lucky that I can access the Pearl Jam site all day while I am at work.
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Flippers are hard working Americans !
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options

The reason a pre order won't work is because some people will still miss out but the flippers won't.
    this is the same reason they don't announce (for the most part) when new items are in the shop. They figure the forum junkies are on the board all the time and the lucky few that see the item pop up in the shop will get it rather than telling the flippers when they will be available.

Many forum junkies will probably still flip.

The pre-order at least makes as many people happy as possible at that given time and is better than any other option short of keeping something in print always. Sure maybe 5 years down the road someone may be unhappy thing to track something down, but it's difficult to keep everything in print all of the time. Especially given the constraints of today's vinyl marketplace (fewer production facilities, and ultimately the small demand for vinyl vs the larger marketplace).

Flippers will always exist, but the goal should to produce enough to minimize after market markup, and for more exclusive items, the pre-order works best.
  • Options
    What about limited edition items?

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    Well they need to go away and be replaced with made to order like Vault 3.

• Options
    I know most people looking for Limited edition are flippers but what about those that like having a limited set? I'm sure if they did away with limited items it would appease most people, I can handle that, but what if it stops them from ever doing something cool like RSD coke ten ever again?

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,693

Well they need to go away and be replaced with made to order like Vault 3.

People still complained about missing out on that even though the presale lasted 2 full weeks
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    There is no way to make everyone 100% happy. But to be honest, if someone missed that window of ordering Vault 3, its their fault, not 10c, PJ or anyone elses. 14 days is plenty of time to order or to scrape together $60 if thats the issue. And then to bitch about it shows how entitled this fanbase has become.

The presale maximizes the amount of people wanting one getting one and minimizes bitching about not being able to get something.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    edited April 2014
    People are always going to complain about something. Just the way it works.

PJ could make unlimited made to order everything, and people would complain about that. There are a lot of limited edition posters in the shop right now that have not sold. Some things have demand, some things don't.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    it seems like some people are more into hoarding..ahem..collecting than they are into PJ music. I can't even go in lost dogs, I just get irritated. I guess im just a young curmudgeon who thinks hoarding is lame. Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,429

I'm very happy and lucky that I can access the Pearl Jam site all day while I am at work.

Totally agree.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    The only way to end the flipping is for PJ to raise the prices on what they sell. As long as they are going to sell something for $30 that has a true value of $100 - $200 (what it is going for on ebay the next day) people will flip. If anyone should be pissed it is PJ. Kind of like Google who sold their initial shares at 10% of what they were selling for on the market one month later. Google is the one that lost out. They only got the $30-$40 per share (whatever it was initially) instead of $400 per share. Flipping = arbitrage and is a normal part of business..

If everyone keeps bitching PJ may decide why let others make that much off of them and will jack their rates which only screws over those that want it for the actual music and now have to pay double what they were last time.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    why does everything have to be "fair". the world isn't fair. we shouldn't expect limited edition merchandise to be either. Besides, its all just stuff. I am sure everyone has plenty of stuff.
  • Options
    We live in a society of flippers. The entire retail industry is based on flipping. Buy product at "X" price and charge the consumer "X+$" to generate profit/revenue. If people are so anti-flipping then I recommend they try not buy anything at a retail store. Stop shopping at Wal*Mart, Sams Club, the shopping mall, Nike outlet, the gas station, restaurants, etc.... They're all just companies that flip products. I say, grow your own food, make your own clothes, build your own home, etc.... Don't buy anything from a flipper....retail or individual. That's the only way I know of to live an anti-flipping lifestyle.

Do I condone "flipping"....no. But I realize it's part of the society I live in and I don't get worked up about it. if I want something bad enough I'll pony up the cash on the 2ndary market. If I want something bad enough but can't afford it..well, I just don't buy it. And it's not the end of the world. Whether or not I own a limited piece of PJ memorobilia doesn't define me. Not owning something PJ doesn't make me less of a fan....or less of a person.

Sorry for babbling....

- Uncle Snuffy
    Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    weebleweeble Bristol, England Posts: 133
    edited April 2014
    At the end of the day, 2000 copies, 5000 copies, 1 or 20 per customer... there will be those that score and those that miss. And so on to the next. C'est la vie.

Flipping is pretty crappy. But I've always pretty much resided to purchasing the things I love on the secondary market (and not just PJ). I just find it to be a lot less stressful that way! I purchase and collect urban art, and its the same deal in those circles. Worse in fact.

What I've noticed is, these forums really do escalate the problem, creating a feverish rush to buy the next thing - whether people really like it, or want it or not! It just become a 'desire'. But give it a week and you'll see them off loading it. Same story, every time. I just try and stay away from the fever. Do that, and I promise, you'll be a lot happier for it.

:)
    Post edited by weeble on
    This might pass, this might last, this may grow