Exclusives pre-sale window

no codeno code Posts: 109
I'm not one to complain, but this really bugs me.

The last couple of special releases (sevens, ten rsd etc) have been announced when most of us europeans are sound asleep. So when I finally read the announcement, every single piece has sold out. So we as fans are almost obligated to buy them from those irritating PJ buyers/ fans who are actually Flippers on E-bay. Almost every e-bay seller for the Ten rsd vinyl is from the States (proves my point).

I have no idea how to solve this, but please fellow fans, weigh in. I do like the limited release thing, but this way we never have a shot.
No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...

Comments

• PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    Solution seems quite simple to me: Announce when these items are going on sale, instead of putting them on sale immediately. Even just a 24-hour advance warning should be good enough. That would give everyone a fair(er) chance, not just the lucky ones who get the email on time, are able to read them immediately and go to the site instantly.
  • timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 319
    Seven went on sale at 13.00 on a Sunday in the UK and the Coke Ten was about 16.00... Guess it must have been siesta time somewhere :)
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998

Solution seems quite simple to me: Announce when these items are going on sale, instead of putting them on sale immediately. Even just a 24-hour advance warning should be good enough. That would give everyone a fair(er) chance, not just the lucky ones who get the email on time, are able to read them immediately and go to the site instantly.

It's as simple as that. Is that too much to ask?
  • Solution seems quite simple to me: Announce when these items are going on sale, instead of putting them on sale immediately. Even just a 24-hour advance warning should be good enough. That would give everyone a fair(er) chance, not just the lucky ones who get the email on time, are able to read them immediately and go to the site instantly.

Who's more likely to be monitoring this site for surprise releases? True fans or flipper members? Notice gives more flippers incentive to join.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

Who's more likely to be monitoring this site for surprise releases? True fans or flipper members? Notice gives more flippers incentive to join.
    I agree 100%. It's inevitable that not everyone will get each limited release, but the more notice you give the greater chance more products end up in the hands of flippers IMO.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • MT132914MT132914 Posts: 188
    the site can't handle the load and will likely crash
  • Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Random drops are the only way to do it. Now if you want to ask them to do a drop at 1am PT, go a head. You'll hear a lot more whining coming from the North American crowd when that sells out and all the eBay auctions are from Europe.

You'll never please everyone. They're doing the best they can. My only criticism of the sale was Newburry allowing multiples for purchase. Should have been one per customer/household. Oh well, the earth will keep spinning.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2014
    FLASH SALES ARE GARBAGE
    they are not discouraging flippers at all, so quit shafting huge swaths of fans and announce things with some notice. Then you all have a fair shot. I live in the states, but don;t sit there with my phone all day and can;t get instant updates, so until I get home from work I don;t get any word and everything is long gone by then. I am happy for those who have a vibrating phone to stimulate them whenever a tweet is released, or a message sent, but some people cannot use that option. So just give a fucking 24 hour notice for crying out loud. Seeing that this stuff is NOT FOR RESALE and is still always on e-bay, may as well stop denying a lot of us out of a chance with the instant sales
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    I vote for random. Adds some excitement to this place once in awhile.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900

Completely agree - I didn't even get the email until AFTER they had sold out (both Sevens and the Ten rsd), and I am in the states.
  • I agree that 24 hours notice is a great idea. I didn't get my email about the Ten coke bottle release til I got home from work, and of course it was sold out by then. ):
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Unfortunately there is no way possible to make everything available for everyone world wide when it comes to exclusive items. I do feel for those that don't get a chance at it. I missed some good stuff yesterday and I am in the states.

Wind this thing up.

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited April 2014
    Made to order merch is the best way to get vinyl to members that want it. Vault 3 is a prime example, but you still had people complain about not getting it.

For limited merch, there is not really a good way. Random sucks because you may not be online and then it's gone. And a scheduled time pits everyone all around the world against each other for a limited item...F5ing and then bitching "I had it in my cart, and got an error"

I tend to go with random... Sometimes I'm lucky like with the White Mad Season yesterday... And I miss some like the Coke Ten
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049

Completely agree - I didn't even get the email until AFTER they had sold out (both Sevens and the Ten rsd), and I am in the states.
    The site could potentially crash. They could do what the MetClub sometimes does and hold a lottery for limited items. But I prefer the method they have now. Sometimes you miss some
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 870
    What's with this sense of entitlement? How is it the 10 Club's responsibility to cater to everyone's demands? We're the dummies that act like children over this shit.
  • TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,072
    Only way to solve your "fairness" problem is to stop doing the limited editions all together. Otherwise there will just be someone else that feels like they are getting screwed, and people will still bitch about flippers, and not getting something that they were buying to "spin".

Most of these "flippers" must be 10 club members to be getting the "limit 1" items. Maybe enough people will comment about this long enough, that they will just start up a newer "I promise not to be a flipper 10 club" that people could join.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • timmay44212timmay44212 Posts: 107
    Just do a pre sale. Send out an email announcing when it starts, give people 7-14 days to place their order. If you miss out that way on "limited edition" items, you would only have yourself to blame.
    10/11/13 consol energy center pittsburgh
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

Just do a pre sale. Send out an email announcing when it starts, give people 7-14 days to place their order. If you miss out that way on "limited edition" items, you would only have yourself to blame.

A pre-sale on every "limited" item wouldn't make much sense. Some things are meant to have print runs of 500 or 1000.

I think the current system works. Do pre-sales for vault releases and do random drops for everything else
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    jervin007 said:

A pre-sale on every "limited" item wouldn't make much sense. Some things are meant to have print runs of 500 or 1000.

Which means not everyone will get one no matter how they release it.

Wind this thing up.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    oysterjar said:

Which means not everyone will get one no matter how they release it.

I agree. It all comes down to luck with any method. Being on the board (or checking your email) at the right time, winning the lottery, etc....

Unless the band starts increasing the quanties people get shafted. I've missed out on Sevens and the Coke Bottle Ten now but I don't think selling them by any other method is going to increase my odds. The only ask I would have is to make the pressings a bit bigger. Still limitied edition, but enough that they remain available in the store for at least half a day.
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    I don't want anything to change. I missed Sevens cause I was out and about on a Sunday, got the Coke Bottle Ten, missed the sale Friday cause of work.

Oh well, get some not others. If it was easy to get all of it, it wouldn't be as fun to collect.

"Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204

It would not be a "limited" edition if this was done.
  • TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,072
    scurtis said:

Oh well, get some not others. If it was easy to get all of it, it wouldn't be as fun to collect.

This!
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • InsideJob75InsideJob75 Posts: 126
    I live in Europe, saw the vinyl within enough time to buy it. Thought it might be rare, and considered buying it.

I don't even own a record player, why should I buy it just to try and make some money on it in the future! So I left it alone. Leave it for the real fans that collect vinyl.

However my point, do Ten Club not put restrictions on limited Ten Club only items being resold just like tickets. Ie, if caught reselling, your membership is taken away from you.
    Dublin '06, Lisbon 1 '06, Lisbon 2 '06, London '07, Manchester '09, London '09, Dublin '10, Belfast '10, London '10, Manchester 1 '12, Manchester 2 '12, Berlin 1 '12, Berlin 2 '12, Amsterdam 1 '14, Amsterdam 2 '14, Berlin '14, Leeds '14, London 1 '18, Prague '18, Krakow '18, Berlin '18, London 2 '18, London 1 '22, London 2 '22, Budapest '22, Amsterdam 2 '22
    I see your point but it would be too hard to manage. The only place people wouldn't see the restricted items would be on lost dogs. People are already trading on Facebook, and selling on Ebay. Inevitably it would be impossible to stop. Tickets can be stopped/reduced by making the purchaser pick them up at box office.

Wind this thing up.

• PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    I still think that a lottery for anyone interested in buying a limited item might be the best thing. Give 2 days notice, place order for only 1 per ten club member, if your name is drawn your cc is charged and then its yours. Easy enough.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville