David Letterman is Back

igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,143
edited August 2017 in All Encompassing Trip
I miss igotid88
Post edited by igotid88 on

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    It would be funny if Leno took over his spot.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,143
    I'm hoping Conan. But some say Kimmel.
    I miss igotid88
    I don't think Kimmel would move to NY.
    Jon Stewart would be an interesting choice. I'm sure NBC could blow Comedy Central out of the water in money.
    edited April 2014
    Jason P said:

Jon Stewart would be an interesting choice. I'm sure NBC could blow Comedy Central out of the water in money.

You mean CBS? Doesn't CBS own CC? I remember people suggesting that Stewart would take over if and when Letterman left.

Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    edited April 2014
    letterman was always my top pick when it came to late show choices but there has been a sharp, sharp decline in his show and interviewing capabilities over the past few years. he has really turned into a grumpy old man and when he is interviewing someone he isn't into, it shows and he just becomes a condescending prick.

any who... yeah, kimmel would be a good replacement in my opinion.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:

It would be funny if Leno took over his spot.

Ha!

I'm kind of in rival's camp - used to love the older NBC-version of Letterman, with Chris Elliot singing the Banana Song, Stupid Pet Tricks, that lady with the small dressed-up monkeys who attacked Dave, Crispin Glover, etc. Just some solid good, funny and unusual shit.

I'll say though that his intro to Puscifer's Conditions of My Parole makes me smile every time.
    rival. said:

letterman was always my top pick when it came to late show choices but there has been a sharp, sharp decline in his show and interviewing capabilities over the past few years. he has really turned into a grumpy old man and when he is interviewing someone he isn't into, it shows and he just becomes a condescending prick.

any who... yeah, kimmel would be a good replacement in my opinion.

The early years of the Late Show were great also. I still like his interviewing style. Letterman has been my first choice also. I would say he and Conan would actually make me laugh.
    I miss igotid88
    I hope PJ plays his final show
    I miss igotid88
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Yeah, wth, I started getting various news alert emails about this a couple hours ago, as though it's breaking news, like a deadly earthquake, lol. Clearly, the media plans on making this a huge fucking deal.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Jason P said:

Jon probably has more freedoms w CS and wouldn't give that up
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited April 2014
    love me some letterman since way back

running a train (just the engine/the power car) through desks, massive sheets of glass, manikins & things. or dropping a wide variety of items from a tall building or whatever high structure it may have been smashing to bits on the sidewalk or street below what it was he dropped.

letterman over leno 24/7 & 379 days a year
    letterman is one of the funniest guys out there because of facial expressions, classic mannerisms/idiosyncrasies during & after comedy bits or just standing or sitting there, he is on the spot without trying, his teeth, his all around goofiness is classic

calling folks from the phone book, stupid pet tricks like hedonist mentioned was great, audience venturing into, when him & paul made little stupid clips of whatever together & whatever else.

letterman has got to be one amusing guy to be around. sure he has comedy writers. he can do it himself im sure & probably has a hand in the joke writing tasks. when my brothers & i were teenagers we'd make letterman part of our marijuana using night of hilariousness as well as married w/ children, cheers & whatver else

one thing is a fact - letter (as well as leno) work their ass off. at least that is my impression, i could be wrong i guess.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Good riddance....I've seen some funny stuff, but it was always older highlights. He's been bottom of the barrel for late night for as long as I can remember.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Maybe Craig Ferguson. He seems the natural choice.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Best late night host ever in my opinion. His show has gotten stale as he had gotten older and I don't watch it quite as much anymore. But still, lots of good memories with Dave.

Took my Dad to see a taping back in the late 90's.

Does he still have Rupert on from time to time? He owned the deli around the corner, I believe...
    chinese-happy.jpg

Best late night host ever in my opinion. His show has gotten stale as he had gotten older and I don't watch it quite as much anymore. But still, lots of good memories with Dave.

Took my Dad to see a taping back in the late 90's.

Does he still have Rupert on from time to time? He owned the deli around the corner, I believe...

Yes

I miss igotid88
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I like Fallen and Kimmel ... but the best alltime was Carson, imo.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    lukin2006 said:

Maybe Craig Ferguson. He seems the natural choice.

Ferguson is the shit, but I don't know because I would hate to see a watered down version of him which would likely happen if he was on earlier.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    DewieCox said:

Good riddance....I've seen some funny stuff, but it was always older highlights. He's been bottom of the barrel for late night for as long as I can remember.

I agree with this. Late 80s maybe. Since he has just seemed to be boring and go through the motions
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    I think jon Stewart would be a good choice, but I don't want to see him leave the Daily Show.

First thing I thought was The 3-episode arc in Louis CK's show "Louie" where Louis CK replaces Dave. Louis CK would be an awesome choice!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Well bless our new-ish mayor - he's asked CBS to consider moving the show to LA once a successor is decided upon.

We could use it, what with Fallon moving his new stint to NY.

*shakes fist*
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    DewieCox said:

Agree. This was announced yesterday and I'm already sick of the Letterman tribute shit everywhere.

"We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    hedonist said:

Well bless our new-ish mayor - he's asked CBS to consider moving the show to LA once a successor is decided upon.

We could use it, what with Fallon moving his new stint to NY.

*shakes fist*

I hadn't heard this. it sure sounds looks his successor's gonna be Craig Ferguson (whom i adore!) his late, late show is done in LA. and it's produced by Dave's company Worldwide Pants. plus i read somewhere that Craig's latest contract has a clause that he's to be Dave's 'heir' of the late show. altho it's still flipping show bizz known for back-stabbing so who knows?

Craig is fucking hysterical so i really hope CBS honors his contract. ....there isn't any better late night douche on t.v! :)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I love Ferguson, but he won't be great in the 1130 slot. Probably a little too....ummm...unique. I like him in his slot.

I dunno what Kimmel's deal is, but he'd be great.
    edited April 2014
    edit
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce