Options

*A CALL FOR VINYL*

Comments

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

demetrios said:

Signed!!

I would LOVE if the 10club would offer quarterly a 10club exclusive live bootleg pressed on vinyl release. For example. On January 1st they send out their newsletter for this presale. Fan's have 5 day's to place an order. 1 vinyl per 10club member. Offer closes. On April 1st, the next 10club exclusive vinyl presale begins. And etc.. That would be pretty freaking sweet!

I love this idea!

This is why I love Third Man Records
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    oysterjar said:

So what if PJ took advantage of the prices people are willing to pay and did it for a good cause? Maybe print like 5000 of each album in various colored, high quality Vinyl and sold them exclusively through their website (one a piece) for 100 bucks a pop with all money going to a different cause for each album? Their contributions would be the production cost. So $500k for each album would be five million raised. It would appease the collectors but still be enough copies to satisfy the people who spin vinyl (I think) and the band wouldn't be treated like it was a cash grab. I would pay 100 bucks for a good cause and good music. How many people here would? If there was still demand after that, print more, after all, it would be for charity. If Hootie and the Blowfish can donate THE RIGHTS of their biggest hit single, surely one of the most charitable bands in the world could do something like this. That's something I could get behind!

Although I can stand behind a good cause, I would rather just be able to purchase the studio albums locally or here in the shop when I want like I can the cd's. They could certainly release a quarterly limited edition for $100 or more like demetrios above stated for a good cause and I would be with that.

And yes I am trying to pacify my own wants by wanting the lowest cost out there. :D
    Haha, I get that and would be cool with that too. My point is if people are already paying 3 times that for them, the band should turn a shitty situation into something positive. If they sold out and printed more to fill demand, it would also eliminate the people selling them on ebay.

• Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235

oysterjar said:

So what if PJ took advantage of the prices people are willing to pay and did it for a good cause? Maybe print like 5000 of each album in various colored, high quality Vinyl and sold them exclusively through their website (one a piece) for 100 bucks a pop with all money going to a different cause for each album? Their contributions would be the production cost. So $500k for each album would be five million raised. It would appease the collectors but still be enough copies to satisfy the people who spin vinyl (I think) and the band wouldn't be treated like it was a cash grab. I would pay 100 bucks for a good cause and good music. How many people here would? If there was still demand after that, print more, after all, it would be for charity. If Hootie and the Blowfish can donate THE RIGHTS of their biggest hit single, surely one of the most charitable bands in the world could do something like this. That's something I could get behind!

Although I can stand behind a good cause, I would rather just be able to purchase the studio albums locally or here in the shop when I want like I can the cd's. They could certainly release a quarterly limited edition for $100 or more like demetrios above stated for a good cause and I would be with that.

And yes I am trying to pacify my own wants by wanting the lowest cost out there. :D
    Haha, I get that and would be cool with that too. My point is if people are already paying 3 times that for them, the band should turn a shitty situation into something positive. If they sold out and printed more to fill demand, it would also eliminate the people selling them on ebay.

You are absolutely right. There are so many ways they could turn a want from us into a useful cause and close down the black market of exclusive vinyl flipping.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    I would prefer Pearl Jam not redo any vinyl. For those like myself who painstakingly been a member since to beginning And who has every vinyl released to date, including Xmas singles, etc. I would suspect I am in the minority, but pearl jam vinyl is some of the most sought after and collectible vinyl in existence and the way the band let's " life unfold by itself "has been an enjoyable process requiring a lot of patience. Maybe it's so collectible because of the exact very way they present each piece of vinyl. The journey is in the process itself of collecting over the last 20 years plus. Good luck to those wanting to proceed in pursuing the vinyl.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    T

I would prefer Pearl Jam not redo any vinyl. For those like myself who painstakingly been a member since to beginning And who has every vinyl released to date, including Xmas singles, etc. I would suspect I am in the minority, but pearl jam vinyl is some of the most sought after and collectible vinyl in existence and the way the band let's " life unfold by itself "has been an enjoyable process requiring a lot of patience. Maybe it's so collectible because of the exact very way they present each piece of vinyl. The journey is in the process itself of collecting over the last 20 years plus. Good luck to those wanting to proceed in pursuing the vinyl.

I can see your point and I guess it would be shitty for the people who have paid out the ass for rare vinyl. I just find it disturbing that a band who, for the longest time, was all about making things affordable to fans is causing the prices to be out of reach for most. Forgive my grammar.
  • Options

T

I can see your point and I guess it would be shitty for the people who have paid out the ass for rare vinyl. I just find it disturbing that a band who, for the longest time, was all about making things affordable to fans is causing the prices to be out of reach for most. Forgive my grammar.
    I think the vinyl has all been affordable, the latest vinyl is what $35.00?. I have collected vinyl the old fashion slow way through the fan club. I see some of the prices second party places sell these items and it's a shame that it's so high. So Pearl Jam has made vinyl very affordable, now maybe there deluxe reissue vinyl has been a tad high. It's the resellers hiking prices because of demand? I guess.

• Options

T

I think the vinyl has all been affordable, the latest vinyl is what $35.00?. I have collected vinyl the old fashion slow way through the fan club. I see some of the prices second party places sell these items and it's a shame that it's so high. So Pearl Jam has made vinyl very affordable, now maybe there deluxe reissue vinyl has been a tad high. It's the resellers hiking prices because of demand? I guess.

That is my point, the demand is there causing the prices to skyrocket. If they would release it, there would be no secondary market. Someone who just discovered the band should have the same material available to them for an affordable price. Like maybe a youngster who wasn't around for a no code vinyl release but still would love to have it. I think they should be able to get it at an affordable price and the band used to agree with their music being affordable. Just my opinion but kudos to the hard work you've no doubt put in to achieve your collection.
  • Options

T

That is my point, the demand is there causing the prices to skyrocket. If they would release it, there would be no secondary market. Someone who just discovered the band should have the same material available to them for an affordable price. Like maybe a youngster who wasn't around for a no code vinyl release but still would love to have it. I think they should be able to get it at an affordable price and the band used to agree with their music being affordable. Just my opinion but kudos to the hard work you've no doubt put in to achieve your collection.
    But you can get " copy" pressing of PJ vinyl. It's not 1st pressing but still vinyl. Like Vedder, into the wild vinyl- they have copy vinyl. I know my stance is not popular but in fact i am able to collect 2 of very vinyl- one to display and play the other copy remains in original package displayed. For example, Again, can't you get a vinyl copy of vitology thru sony legacy label on amazon?

• Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    edited April 2014
    I can't get No Code - S/T at any store for $35.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    For another example about the journey to collect vinyl, when benaroya hall vinyl was offered I got my edition and then I flew on a plane traveling with only toothbrush and benaroya vinyl to last vote for change finale concert in DC, long story - medium, I was able to hang out with vedder and he signed my album. Then in 2006 in Portland I brought it with me and was able to get Mikes autograph on the vinyl. So I guess it's the journey that is attractive. Just my .02 cents. The pursuit of vinyl has yielded many great stories.
  • Options

T

But you can get " copy" pressing of PJ vinyl. It's not 1st pressing but still vinyl. Like Vedder, into the wild vinyl- they have copy vinyl. I know my stance is not popular but in fact i am able to collect 2 of very vinyl- one to display and play the other copy remains in original package displayed. For example, Again, can't you get a vinyl copy of vitology thru sony legacy label on amazon?

I guess I will have to look into it a little more so I can be more educated before speaking about it. I have moved cross country a few times and have owned every PJ vinyl first pressing at one time or another. I wish I knew what it would be worth and didn't take for granted that I could easily obtain it again. I gave most away or sold for cheap to record stores to avoid moving it. I only have the last two albums now. Oh the regret...
  • Options

T

I guess I will have to look into it a little more so I can be more educated before speaking about it. I have moved cross country a few times and have owned every PJ vinyl first pressing at one time or another. I wish I knew what it would be worth and didn't take for granted that I could easily obtain it again. I gave most away or sold for cheap to record stores to avoid moving it. I only have the last two albums now. Oh the regret...

T

See you have regret and I have huge debt. Lol
  • Options
    I'd be very interested to know the cost associated with them releasing all that vinyl, vs how much they would expect to sell. Re-releases of Ten VS Vitalogy probably would of already told them that.
    The other side of the coin is whats still in their contract with Sony/epic and whether or not contractual things prevent them from repressing albums.
    I personally think it will happen eventually seeing how vinyl has come back in a big way. But then again PJ seem to like the idea of the majority of their stuff being collectors items. Ten Newbury comics release is a recent example of that.
  • Options
    Not the first issue from Newbury comics, they also do Vitalogy remastered. Also sony album obligation ended with RVM greatest hits.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346

What do you mean by "copy pressing of vinyl"? You mean reissues? The first three albums and the last two are not hard to obtain. This is plain to see for everybody here. What people are not happy about is the fact that if you want to have Yield, No code etc on vinyl, you have to be prepared to pay much higher prices than the original price. Yes, the hunt is fun too. But it can get tiring as well. And if you are just a person who likes their music on vinyl, and who is not a collector per se, it can get very frustrating... I was lucky enough to slowly but steadily get all the studio albums except for Avocado in the last couple of years. The most expensive vinyl I ever bought is amongst them. I decided to spend the money, and I am still happy with my purchases and give them all a regular spin.

But I would love to own the rest of the releases as well, especially Benaroya Hall. I was not a member of the fanclub in 2003 or when it was sold. This show is one of my alltime favourites. From the band that got me into vinyl. But I cannot justify to spend a grand on a vinyl album. I have participated in lots of discussions about the Benny on here, so I am aware of all the opinions. I do understand the collectors too.

But like another poster said, why should their fans who like their music on vinyl not have access to their favourite music on their favourite medium? They can suck it because they are too poor or joined the club too late? Meh. Especially if it's a band who claims to love vinyl. I just don't get the whole attitude.
  • Options
    absolutely agree!!!
    "In fact, punk rock means exemplary manners to your fellow human being. Fuck being an arsehole" - Joe Strummer.

Instagram: pipingroller
    Facebook: Eden Sandwell
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2014

um, no. "Collecting" multi colored 200 gram special editions isn't the issue. The band is a producer of music, and a champion of the LP format. You should be able to buy their records for a reasonable price (be that 25 to 35 dollars) in the store.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I dont have $3000 to spend on the vinyl I need to complete the collection. My Wife just wouldn't have it.
    Im down for this!!!

:)>-
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,469
    Signed and agreed.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    While I can respect the thrill of the hunt, how would reissuing the albums lessen that experience? I guess, if/when reissues come, you could look at it as a waste of time and effort, but that's just as likely to happen for other reasons.

I'm all for them reissuing them, but I don't see the point unless they come with vinyl specific masters. I might fill the holes, but I won't go out of my way to pick up any reissues til I hear that the sound quality is improved. It would be great if everybody to get a good copy for a reasonable price, though.

The advice I would give to those wanting to spend loads of money on their records.....consider how much enjoyment you could get out of having many other albums in place of one PJ album that isn't really much different than the cd copy you already have.

I realize there are alot of people around here that only listen to PJ, and I'm not knocking that, but I've gotten much more enjoyment out of the other records in my collection. Part of that is that I'm past the listening to PJ all the time phase and part of that is most of my other records have a more noticeable improvement over the digital mediums. Still listen to PJ plenty in the car.

• Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773

Not the first issue from Newbury comics, they also do Vitalogy remastered. Also sony album obligation ended with RVM greatest hits.

I see no evidence of other Newbury PJ releases anywhere. Do you have a link?
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    DewieCox said:

I'm all for them reissuing them, but I don't see the point unless they come with vinyl specific masters.

For the most part, I'm in this line. Assuming the original tapes are still in good condition, I would love to hear a true audiophile release of a Pearl Jam album- any album!
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    tylerjtylerj Indiana Posts: 282
    Signed.
    Chicago, Aug 24, 2009 
    Noblesville, May 7, 2010
    PJ20 Night 1, 2011
    Cincinnati, Oct. 1, 2014
    Milwaukee, Oct. 20, 2014
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 22, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 18, 2018
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2018
    St. Louis, Sept. 18, 2022
    Chicago, Sept. 5, 2023
    Chicago, Sept. 7, 2023

• Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,066
    TinAnt said:

Some slipmats too

OH YEP

• Options
    So glad to hear from vinyl listeners and not the vinyl scalpers! Is there any way we can weed out the profiteers from the vinyl lovers so we at least have a chance to purchase the limited releases? Say what you will about me, but those who buy only to sell make me sick! The worst is in the ebay description when the seller states they bought the vinyl, but don't even own a turntable!? Flip houses or buy and sell used cars...leave the vinyl to the listeners.
  • Options
    Well they just put a few old xmas singles and couple other singles in the shop. Maybe they are listening. Maybe this is a build up for something bigger? Maybe wishful thinking.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Well they just put a few old xmas singles and couple other singles in the shop. Maybe they are listening. Maybe this is a build up for something bigger? Maybe wishful thinking.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw all the new 7-inch in the shop. Hopefully this is gearing up toward something most fans want! I would love nothing more than to obtain No Code thru S/T for $25-35 a pop.
    Consider this my petition signing!
  • Options
    Dowder5167Dowder5167 Posts: 195
    I'm all for reasonably priced vinyl, but is it the bands responsibility to reissue their entire catalog because vinyl is now trendy? 5 years ago for record store day, half hour before opening there were maybe 10 people in line. Now you have to arrive hours before to be tenth in line. The band preached vinyl forever, now 20 years later everyone wants it.
  • Options

I'm all for reasonably priced vinyl, but is it the bands responsibility to reissue their entire catalog because vinyl is now trendy? 5 years ago for record store day, half hour before opening there were maybe 10 people in line. Now you have to arrive hours before to be tenth in line. The band preached vinyl forever, now 20 years later everyone wants it.

Also a valid point.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    ^^^^yes, it is... Virtually all their peers have had their albums reissued. Some cases, it's not the band spearheading it, but I gotta believe the record co would've put them out awhile ago if it was up to them.