Options

Mike talks Kiss via Rolling Stone

jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jams-mike-mccready-talks-kiss-obsession-and-influence-20140403
I remember being on a school bus in sixth grade in 1976 with my friend Rick Friel, who eventually played in my high school band Shadow. He had a lunch box that had Kiss on it. "What is that?" Then he played me some music and I was hooked immediately. Then I had a Kiss room and I started playing guitar. They were the Beatles to me. They are the reason I started playing music.

Kiss Forever: 40 Years of Feuds and Fury

They were larger than life, with this intangible thing that I basically think about all the time. I was Peter Criss for Halloween in 1976 (pictured, left). I loved Alive!. "Black Diamond" blew my mind. Ace Frehley came onstage and did it with us at Madison Square Garden a few years ago, which was a total high watermark in my life. When I was 13, I never thought in a million years that I would even talk to him; I’d probably pass out. And here I am playing with him!

Pearl Jam sit down and have conversations about Kiss all the time on tour. My band used to do "C'Mon and Love Me." Matt Cameron played in a Kiss tribute band when he was 14. They got so big around San Diego that they got a cease and desist order from Casablanca Records. Jeff Ament used to play "She" in his band Deranged Diction. There’s a Kiss through-line to a lot of the music that came out of Seattle, and it hasn’t been talked about a lot.

I got mocked for it a lot. When you’re really young, dating girls and trying to explain Kiss, they just look at you like you’re kind of crazy. I think they got so big in the Seventies and were such a phenomenon – they did the Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park movie, the solo records – some people only know the merchandising stuff. But if you listen to the music, Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley were really into the Beatles and you can hear weird Beatles harmonies going on. I’ve talked to Paul a few times, which is always a trip, and he talks about how he likes Humble Pie and Steve Marriott. So they’re drawing from pretty cool influences. And there is a power pop thing to some of their stuff that’s immediately catchy.

Ace was their firecracker, their dynamite. He’s what took them over the top with the feel he put into his leads. I really gravitated towards his vibrato. My lead for "Alive" is based on "She," and that’s based on "Five to One" by the Doors. I remember we were in Surrey, England. I thought about it like, "I’m going to approach this like Ace did on 'She.'" And I remember the chord pattern that Stone [Gossard] wrote lent it to that kind of a descending pattern. So I kind for went with it. And then I improvised from there.

I’ve been watching the Hall of Fame situation play out. My thoughts are: I saw Heart play with their original lineup, and I went and jammed with them when they got inducted in the Hall of Fame. And then they got up with their new lineup, and everybody loved it. And it can be done, and I wish they would do it. It just makes the fans happy. And that's the point, in my mind.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jams-mike-mccready-talks-kiss-obsession-and-influence-20140403#ixzz2xpdmLnVU
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Btw....check out RS link for hilarioso pic of Mike circa 1976 dressed as Peter Criss for Halloween
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Love the Halloween picture
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    KISS (with Cheap Trick opening) was my very first concert in...1976 or '77, I think.

I can't even remember who I went with, but we were close-up and I was blown the fuck away :)

I know people talk shit about Gene Simmons' "cashing in", and have heard about Frehley and Criss having some bitter feelings these days, but for me? They were an integral part of my passage into rock n roll.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited April 2014
    HA. Thanks for posting.

So cool how Mike and I liked same music at same time. Remember, late at night, brother and I would turn on the 9" black and white keeping volume low so not to wake mom while watching kiss live show. Course she busted us. Good stuff.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    no mention of ed digging kiss
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    edited April 2014
    never got into them. never liked glam rock, NY Dolls, butt or cock rock.
    their songs were always humorous to me.
    Lick it up!!...bunch of clowns, literally
    Post edited by DischordVision on
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    They are on the cover of the new Rolling Stone mag and have a big article detailing the strained relationships of the original 4
    throughout the years. Paul and Gene only live 5 minutes from each other but they never hang out. It sounds like Paul likes making music with Gene and thats about it?