Options

Happy 20th Anniversary, Atlanta 4/3/94

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    And for all of you young whipper snappers who got into the band later and never dealt with the old tape-trading days, here's how it was done:

I've gotten rid of most of my tapes, but there are some I just can't bear to part with. Becoming a bootleg collector and a hardcore fan was a badge of honor. It's great these days with bittorrent, youtube, itunes, gremmie.net. etc etc...but you had to earn it back in the day. Getting a new bootleg or finding a rare b-side you never knew existed was a thrill.

Now get off my lawn.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    BinFrog said:

In all her glory:

I see I'm not the only one who listed Satan's Bed as "Already in Love". (I'm sure most of us did at the time)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PJ51390PJ51390 Atlanta Posts: 728
    Second Pearl Jam show ever, one I will never forget.
    I stayed home from my senior year Spring Break to go to the two shows. My girlfriend broke up with me while she and all my friends were in Panama City Beach on Spring Break. I would not change any of it for the world.
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    I remember sitting on the floor of my room taping this show too. I must've started it at the perfect time too because whenever I had to flip sides or put in a new cassette, it was always in between songs and I didn't miss a thing. Just 8 days prior I was at my first PJ show. With my birthday sandwiched in between those two shows, it made for a hell of a great week
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I have a serious 20 year romance with this show.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    BinFrog said:

And for all of you young whipper snappers who got into the band later and never dealt with the old tape-trading days, here's how it was done:

I've gotten rid of most of my tapes, but there are some I just can't bear to part with. Becoming a bootleg collector and a hardcore fan was a badge of honor. It's great these days with bittorrent, youtube, itunes, gremmie.net. etc etc...but you had to earn it back in the day. Getting a new bootleg or finding a rare b-side you never knew existed was a thrill.

Now get off my lawn.

AAAAHHHH tapes. How I miss you so.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Does anyone remember the old DRT tapes? That is where I got my first taste of the good stuff. I think it stood for dirt road tracks/tapes maybe?
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Poncier said:

BinFrog said:

In all her glory:

I see I'm not the only one who listed Satan's Bed as "Already in Love". (I'm sure most of us did at the time)
    Also Don't Need instead of "Whipping" ;)

• Options
    csblackbcsblackb Posts: 29
    For the couple of folks here that were there - did you all stick around for "Indifference"?

The lights came on after "Porch", and I was out the door. Didn't find out until I got home that they played it. (99X actually missed the first part of it - they cut away thinking the show was over.) Still one of my greatest PJ regrets - to date, I've never seen that song live.

Though it's hard to really regret anything about that night.
    8/20/92 4/3/94 9/24/96 10/4/96 9/1/98 8/7/00 8/21/09 9/11/11 9/12/11 9/22/12 10/30/13 4/16/16
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    One of my favorite bootlegs by any band and one of the first bootlegs I owned by any artist. I found it in some torrent file and have loved it ever since. The energy by the band that night is unreal. Rearviewmirror, Deep, Go, Blood, and Porch are some of the best versions of those songs I have heard. Dave's bass drum playing on Deep has a little Bonham feel to it. He had a heavy foot when he was in Pearl Jam.

The fact that no video of the show has surfaced amazes me.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    BinFrog said:

It's a great show for sure, but certainly part of the allure and epic-ness of it was how widespread it was. It happens with a lot of bands: the FM broadcast that circulates in trading communities is held in such high regard. Think Dead Cornell 77 or Phish Red Rocks 94. Both amazing shows and they sound great...win win

It's like the Springsteen radio broadcasts of 1978. From what I've read and heard, those broadcasts were legendary and it made people listen to all the talk and hype they heard about his shows. The Winterland show may be one of the best shows and bootlegs by any artist.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    I still think they Should release this Gig as a DVD :)
  • Options
    Newch91 said:

BinFrog said:

It's a great show for sure, but certainly part of the allure and epic-ness of it was how widespread it was. It happens with a lot of bands: the FM broadcast that circulates in trading communities is held in such high regard. Think Dead Cornell 77 or Phish Red Rocks 94. Both amazing shows and they sound great...win win

It's like the Springsteen radio broadcasts of 1978. From what I've read and heard, those broadcasts were legendary and it made people listen to all the talk and hype they heard about his shows. The Winterland show may be one of the best shows and bootlegs by any artist.
    And the Winterland Hendrix shows are as good as Hendrix gets
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    for those that attended the PJ20 Museum, didn't they have video of this show streaming?
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2014
    heres mine...
    taped from the Mighty WBCN, the Rock of Boston.

we dont even know this song...fuckin' play it anyway...

Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Awesome!
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,496
    BinFrog said:

Now get off my lawn.

Still my favorite PJ concert and probably all time favorite concert. I had the tapes as well. A friend got me soundboard quality CDs from WBCN. Listened in my car to this.

Some moments:

With Doug's help that was pretty good (for WMA).

This song is dedicated to the bastard that married my momma.

Satan's Bed debut.

Opening with Release and closing with Indifference.

We'll all be on the stools. You can be on the stools. When we were describing the band we should have told the radio audience that you look good too.

We don't have to thank any sponsors. There were no fuckin sponsors.

Harvey Leeds Harvey Leeds get outta my fuckin face.
  • Options
    dicodico Posts: 3
    First post,glad it's on a cool topic. Remember listening to this on radio 1 and taping it. Still got the tape somewhere. Great intro to better man, " this is for the bastard who married my momma!". Simply awesome listening.
  • Options
    Would love to know if the guy who sent me that "Best Of Live '95" compilation is on this board. I couldn't for the life of me tell you his name or where he was from...we traded once in like '96.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    they played YL that night? And what about Sonic Reducer?
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    My first experience with live Pearl Jam on CD was the dissident 3 disc set. I think I bought them around '95 or '96. I found disc 2 and 3 online from cdnow.com (if anyone remembers it?). It wasn't even a web site, it was a Telnet site. You would telnet in and could buy stuff online. The very first online store I ever found. Then I found disc 1 in a local store and it came in the pack designed to hold all 3 discs. Thus I was able to merge all the discs into the single pack. I played the f*** out of those CD's. It's probably why I have such a soft spot for this show.

Imagine my surprise a few years later when I stumbled into the complete recording of the show. It was my favorite bootleg with bonus songs! (they cut out all the vitalogy songs from the dissident set). I have a promo cd copy of the show in my collection that forces you to listen to the whole cd because they didn't bother to break it up into tracks.. lol.
  • Options
    pjradio said:

they played YL that night? And what about Sonic Reducer?

My radio station cut off at the encore. they did not play YL...but I am missing Sonic, Porch and Indiff on my tapes.
  • Options
    Zod said:

I have a promo cd copy of the show in my collection that forces you to listen to the whole cd because they didn't bother to break it up into tracks.. lol.

same here...ping pong sounds & all! I've since ripped that one & added trackmarkers to it & re-burned it.

aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    my tapes have Ed as a DJ spinning all kinds of stuff after Indifference.
    Great ambient sound, and some dude looking for LAUUUUUREN the whole night....I like to yell that when I go to shows.
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:

Poncier said:

BinFrog said:

In all her glory:

Also Don't Need instead of "Whipping" ;)

I sussed out Whipping's correct title. :D
  • Options

heres mine...

Taped it from the late great WBCN as well. Then at Christmas time they "gave" away CD's of the show at their Rock Shop they had opened at the Galleria Mall in Cambridge on a certain date to the first so many (can't recall, maybe 1000) customers who spent I think it was $15 0r $20 in the shop. So I got my brother a WBCN sweatshirt that year for Christmas so I could get the show on CD. Discs play as one single track each.
  • Options
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    I've said it before...if my house was on fire, I'd run in and grab these...

heres mine...

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    My tapes degraded to the point where they wouldn't play. Part of me is tempted to transfer a FLAC version back on tape - still have a great tape player (Sony) that I bought in 2001.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I have FLAC'ed mine off of the tape.
    It took me quite a while to actually break the file up into individual songs, preferring to make a commitment to a whole "tape side" when starting it on the digital player.