Options

Happy 20th Anniversary, Atlanta 4/3/94

BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
Hard to believe 20 years ago tonight I was sitting on the floor of my bedroom recording the FM broadcast of the now legendary Atlanta show onto Maxell XLIIs. That's right kids: cassette tapes. Back then you had to earn hardcore fan status....there was no gremmie.net, youtube, or even interwebs in the sense it exists today.

Man. 20 years old. I still have that tape somewhere, along with the tracklist and doodling artwork I put on the sleeve. I'm going to dig it up tonight and post a picture of it when I get home.

Everyone do yourself a favor and listen to this show today. I am listening to it now and man...it really does deliver. It's been a while since I listened to the whole thing.
Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Amazing show, great story. Hard to imagine I was there...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    wow. i was just thinking about this and you just made more memories surface. I remember being on spring break from college, huddled up to my parents' radio speakers trying to listen and then of course killing the audio tape of what i recorded by listening to it 3-4 times a day in college. My jaw still hurts from hitting the ground after hearing this show and how great the band was on fire and how raw the music was..just historic! I can quote every word by ed that night as I've must have heard this show now 1000 x's. Thanks for bringing this day back to the surface of my memories and experiences!
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    Oh yes please do.
    I don't know what doodling means, but I get the feeling you are selling yourself short.
    Oh how sweet it was to make those tapes with folding covers so you could write down all the info. :))
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    It's a great show for sure, but certainly part of the allure and epic-ness of it was how widespread it was. It happens with a lot of bands: the FM broadcast that circulates in trading communities is held in such high regard. Think Dead Cornell 77 or Phish Red Rocks 94. Both amazing shows and they sound great...win win.

Over time I would find other epic shows (6/18/92, 7/11/95 obviously come to mind), but this was the one that broke down the bootleg barrier first. I was not there, obviously, but this will always be a special show for that reason alone. god...I wore that tape out. I must have listened to the whole thing 200 times. Then I got the whole Dissident set, and then the whole show again on disc years later. But that tape...I don't think I will ever be able to get rid of it like I did so many other tapes years ago. It's just special.
  • Options
    "I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight."
  • Options

Oh yes please do.
    I don't know what doodling means, but I get the feeling you are selling yourself short.
    Oh how sweet it was to make those tapes with folding covers so you could write down all the info. :))

No it really was doodling. I remember using a highlighter...
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited April 2014
    Shit, this makes me feel old. Every time I listen to this I remember being 13 years old and recording it onto tape. I've always associated it with such a pure time in my life and it makes me long for those days when such simple things brought me joy.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    BSE.

The version of "Deep" from that show absolutely kills!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

BSE.

The version of "Deep" from that show absolutely kills!

Yeah, as does Black, Blood, PORCH....and many others.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    BinFrog said:

Hard to believe 20 years ago tonight I was sitting on the floor of my bedroom recording the FM broadcast of the now legendary Atlanta show onto Maxell XLIIs. That's right kids: cassette tapes. Back then you had to earn hardcore fan status....there was no gremmie.net, youtube, or even interwebs in the sense it exists today.

Man. 20 years old. I still have that tape somewhere, along with the tracklist and doodling artwork I put on the sleeve. I'm going to dig it up tonight and post a picture of it when I get home.

Everyone do yourself a favor and listen to this show today. I am listening to it now and man...it really does deliver. It's been a while since I listened to the whole thing.

How many of us 16 yr olds were doing the same thing that night!? Fuck we're old!! Had my Dad's gigantic ear muff sized cans on just taking every little detail in & afterwards I had those Maxells in possession everyday if not in my walkman for 2 years. I wish I still had them...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I've gotten rid of SO many tapes, but I can't bear to part with this one (and a handful of others)
  • Options
    rypakalrypakal Posts: 14
    We had a mini concert at a friend's house. One of the best night's of my life.

This song's for Kurt. Good luck man. :(
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    My very favorite bootleg. That version of Indifference is my all-time absolute favorite single live performance ever. Definitely will listen to this one today! :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    WMA with King's X!!
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    Say what you want about him, Dave A's drum work was unbelievable at this show.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    yup
  • Options
    mr.macmr.mac Posts: 162
    I still have my tapes of this, also. My ex-girlfriend wrote the tracklisting for me so it would be in perfect penmanship.
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Picture of said tape?

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    RB90590RB90590 Posts: 227
    Easter Sunday if memory serves.

Remember bailing from my grand parents house, and racing home to record the broadcast.

Can't believe it's been 20 years.
  • Options
    White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,812
    Now this should be vault 4!!!!
  • Options
    Easter Sunday indeed
  • Options
    oysterjar said:

Picture of said tape?

Gonna post it tonight.
  • Options

Now this should be vault 4!!!!

Nah. Every semi-hardcore fan already has it and it sounds great.
  • Options
    JM16768JM16768 Posts: 79
    "When you get home, look in your history books and find out why tomorrow is an important day...tomorrow morning"
    20 YEARS and counting...nough said. 8-X
  • Options
    JM16768JM16768 Posts: 79
    maybe it "figure out" trying to remember off the top of my head as my bootleg is at home...but great quote either way
  • Options
    Jon ChorbaJon Chorba Posts: 268
    Jesus! 20 yrs?!?!?! Time just needs to slow the fuck down! One of the best PJ shows ever and the first bootleg I ever heard.

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    sound of this boot is amazing. love the loud crowd!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    In all her glory:

Post edited by BinFrog on
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Fantastic show, one of my alltime favourite Indifference versions.
  • Options
    Oddly enough my memory got hazy over time...I did not use XLIIs, and I did not doodle on it as much as I thought...I must have saved the doodling for some of the mixes I used to make.