Options

Marc Maron takes dig at Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    edited April 2014
    wnh1977 said:

Maron said something along the lines of when he heard the first Pearl Jam album, he thought "Great, Bad Company is back together". Both men enjoyed a laugh over this.

if marc maron had interviewed ed and made the same type of joke about tool, does anyone think ed would have had a good laugh?

did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options

wnh1977 said:

Maron said something along the lines of when he heard the first Pearl Jam album, he thought "Great, Bad Company is back together". Both men enjoyed a laugh over this.

if marc maron had interviewed ed and made the same type of joke about tool, does anyone think ed would have had a good laugh?

• Options
    yay stupid board.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

wnh1977 said:

Depends on how Ed feels about Tool I guess.... more likely he'd be laughing about how Marc Maron thinks Tool sounds like Bad Company. :D;)
    (really though.... PJ doesn't sound like Bad Company AT ALL. I don't get it... just me?)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    KC2917 said:

Meh... To each his own... Even Nickelback and Creed resonate with some people... :-/

For reasons we will never know or understand.
    Sadly, this is true...
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options

KC2917 said:

Meh... To each his own... Even Nickelback and Creed resonate with some people... :-/

For reasons we will never know or understand.
    Sadly, this is true...
    I'm actually happy that people get joy out of anything, assuming it's not hurtful to others. I'm glad for the Nickelback and Bieber and Creed fans, and glad for Nickelback and Creed for having any fans.... Bieber can go to hell though, hahaha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    AND I'll say that while I'm not a big Bad Co. fan, Paul Rodgers kicked some beautiful ass when he performed with Queen. Guy's got a decent voice.

(I too don't get that musical comparison, PJ_Soul...and agreed on the stupida-fucking-board comment, shortstack; editing has become my nemesis :D )
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Not directed at OP but rather the talking heads mentioned....

Despite the fact that trying to squeeze bands in to genres is sort of pointless...Yeah um..."rock" = 50+ years "grunge" = died at the ripe old age of what, 7?

Quite honestly I think Pearl Jam would be honored to NOT be classified/defined as grunge. "Grunge"...also known as that genre that was actually pretentious because it superficially tried so hard not to be. I don't know.... to me the minute that one musician starts worrying about whether another musician conforms to some fucking artificial ideal is the minute I realize that the first musician is pathetic, fake, and lacks confidence.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,695
    so Tooly's (I am certain this is not a term commonly associated to a group of Tool Fans but what the hell),

I have one tool record (the one with the googles built into the case) - I recall thinking it was OK, didn't blow me away. Tell me, is there an essential tool record I must own? Im open to new stuff, and will go and grab it
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    edited April 2014
    so Tooly's (I am certain this is not a term commonly associated to a group of Tool Fans but what the hell),

I have one tool record (the one with the googles built into the case) - I recall thinking it was OK, didn't blow me away. Tell me, is there an essential tool record I must own? Im open to new stuff, and will go and grab it

Aenima is a great record Paul and Lateralus which came next was really good too. The one you have didn't break any new ground for them and although a lot more technically avanced than many other bands efforts it was poorer by their standards. I do like a lot of it though. Most people will say Aenima for the essential album and it does deserve the acclaim but Lateralus is my favourite as it feels more fluent. Headphones should be worn where possible... 8-X
    Post edited by veddertown on
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Thanks Gary
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806

wnh1977 said:

Perhaps not, but still the laughter may have been no more than being polite towards the host.
    Or perhaps be didn't know how to respond.
    In any case his laughing is by no means the same as taking the initiative.

It doesn't really matter anyway, I think tool is a good band and I love Pearl Jam.
    If Maynard likes Pearl Jam is of no importance to me. Had he been the one to take a stabe at Pearl Jam that would have been different for me.

But I think you're right.
    I don't feel Eddie would have laught.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    edited April 2014
    pdalowsky said:

Excellent question! Truth be told i have never heard a band mature musically as I have with Tool, maybe Linkin Park. When you listen to there first album and each one that follows, you will hear not just a different sound but an evolving sound. The brilliance in them is when listening to a longer song and how you don't even feel like it took 9 minutes to complete, each song a true mini opera, with highs and lows, a journey of feelings. I would truly recommend starting with opiate, than undertow, anemia, lateralus and 10000 days. I think lateralus is by far the most magnificent but may not be easily digestible to a newbie, which is a term to describe any music fan not familiar with Tool ;)
    Post edited by FrankY59 on
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Sometimes people make a comment and laugh and the person with them feels inclined to chuckle along with them, kind of for sympathy. Who cares. Can we get a separate Tool forum going up in here?!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Does PJ really sound like Bad Company? Eh, not really, but it's not that much of a stretch. PJ is probably the most derivative band to come from the Seattle scene and they are big classic rock guys.

As for TOOL/Maynard...TOOL is probably the most creative, intelligent, unique, successful bands you'll come across and it's kinda silly to blow them off, discredit or hate on them b/c their frontman snickered at a little jab at PJ. You don't have to dig their music, but they're probably the most accomplished band of the last 30 years.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    DewieCox said:

Does PJ really sound like Bad Company? Eh, not really, but it's not that much of a stretch. PJ is probably the most derivative band to come from the Seattle scene and they are big classic rock guys.

As for TOOL/Maynard...TOOL is probably the most creative, intelligent, unique, successful bands you'll come across and it's kinda silly to blow them off, discredit or hate on them b/c their frontman snickered at a little jab at PJ. You don't have to dig their music, but they're probably the most accomplished band of the last 30 years.

You think Pearl Jam is the most derivative band to come from the Seattle scene?? So they copy the style of other bands you think? Are uninspired and not unique?? :-/ Wow, I have actually never heard anyone say that before. Calling a band derivative is a huge insult... aren't you a fan?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

You think Pearl Jam is the most derivative band to come from the Seattle scene?? So they copy the style of other bands you think? Are uninspired and not unique?? :-/ Wow, I have actually never heard anyone say that before. Calling a band derivative is a huge insult... aren't you a fan?

More of an observation than a critique or insult. Not copy, but they definitely wear their influences on their sleeve.

Never said uninspired.

What has PJ done, musically, that's groundbreaking? They have some songs that are uniquely PJ, but they're still very much a product of their influences. PJ themselves have stated as much in various interviews.

You've never seen/heard comparisons between PJ songs and other older songs?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    DewieCox said:

PJ_Soul said:

More of an observation than a critique or insult. Not copy, but they definitely wear their influences on their sleeve.

Never said uninspired.

What has PJ done, musically, that's groundbreaking? They have some songs that are uniquely PJ, but they're still very much a product of their influences. PJ themselves have stated as much in various interviews.

I've heard the case for Given to Fly sounding like the Battle of Evermore, but I don't see the similarity, and I'm a huge LZ fan.
    I have never heard of any band who isn't influenced by other artists. Being influenced by other music isn't even close to being derivative.
    As far as PJ being groundbreaking... I definitely think that they have a very unique sound and are very much their own style.
    Now Creed.... they are derivative.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

DewieCox said:

PJ_Soul said:

Never said uninspired.

I've heard the case for Given to Fly sounding like the Battle of Evermore, but I don't see the similarity, and I'm a huge LZ fan.
    I have never heard of any band who isn't influenced by other artists. Being influenced by other music isn't even close to being derivative.
    As far and PJ being groundbreaking... I definitely think that they have a very unique sound and are very much their own style.
    absolutely bang on.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    edited April 2014
    The Given to Fly riff sounds so much like Going to California it is comical. All of them have joked about it, Mike, Stone, and even Jimmy Page if I remember correctly.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122

The Given to Fly riff sounds so much like Going to California it is comical. All of them have joked about it, Mike, Stone, and even Jimmy Page if I remember correctly.

PJ played House of Blues in Chicago and with Robert Plant. During an encore the played Given to Fly and as the song was going to outro Plant came out with his guys and launched right into Going to California. So I'm guessing there are no hard feelings.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Oh yeah, Going to California, not Battle of Evermore.
    There is a bit of a similarity in the intro. That's it. I don't see how it matters. The songs don't sound anything like one another aside from the intro. In any case, that's irrelevant to the issue. Any other PJ songs that have some minor similarity to another song? I don't think so.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    PJ_Soul said:

There is a bit of a similarity in the intro. That's it. I don't see how it matters. The songs don't sound anything like one another aside from the intro. In any case, that's irrelevant to the issue. Any other PJ songs that have some minor similarity to another song? I don't think so.
    jesus, you don't have to be right about everything, and you don't have to take it so personal. It is more than just the intro, and that is fine. It does not really matter. There are others out there, I have read them on the board, but ma not going to spend all my time looking for them.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    edited April 2014

PJ_Soul said:

jesus, you don't have to be right about everything, and you don't have to take it so personal. It is more than just the intro, and that is fine. It does not really matter. There are others out there, I have read them on the board, but ma not going to spend all my time looking for them.
    How did anything I said make you think I was taking anything personally (I'm not) or that I have to be right about everything? Just stating my opinion.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

As far as PJ being groundbreaking... I definitely think that they have a very unique sound and are very much their own style.

Well, the similarity is there, even if it's overblown by some.

I don't think derivative is instantly a negative, like you seem to. It's what I think is great about PJ. I love Zep and the Who and Floyd and Neil. Why wouldn't I like something that is heavily influenced by them.

What makes PJ "influenced by" and Creed "derivative"?

I agree that PJ has a certain sound, but it's heavily informed by bands they have admitted they admire.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well, the similarity is there, even if it's overblown by some.

I don't think derivative is instantly a negative, like you seem to. It's what I think is great about PJ. I love Zep and the Who and Floyd and Neil. Why wouldn't I like something that is heavily influenced by them.

What makes PJ "influenced by" and Creed "derivative"?

I agree that PJ has a certain sound, but it's heavily informed by bands they have admitted they admire.
    Creed's derivative because they actually tried to copy the sounds of others and never came up with their own thing. PJ is influenced by many different artists (just like every other artist is), but create a sound that is completely their own.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450

who is Marc Maron? Is he someone I should recognize?

exactly....altho I would ask who THE FUCK is marc maron? :))
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    imalive said:

He looks like Walter White in the final episode of Breaking Bad.

• Options
    Jason P said:

imalive said:

He looks like Walter White in the final episode of Breaking Bad.

not even close

marc maron is kinda sexy actually
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Never heard of him, but yes he does look like Heisenburg(?) here:

Wind this thing up.