Options

Why can't I ever get ANY of the limited edition Vinyl?? ... It's killing me!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Really, if they told everyone about it beforehand, it would be a complete mess. Way more people would walk away disappointed, and the website would probably freeze too. I don't think it would work at all with very limited releases. I believe that is why they do it the way they do. Announcing before would end up being the online equivalent of one of those stampedes that happen when the doors open on Black Friday. 10C probably wants to avoid that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jamesbennettiiijamesbennettiii Posts: 40
    edited April 2014

Colored vinyl is for noobs. Its far inferior in sound, which is why you buy vinyl. No one displays colored vinyl (it would warp), so what are the point to these colored vinyl reissues? Nothing. Cash grab. Unless you just like to hoard stuff so you can brag to online acquantences that will never see them. Jm2c

Not true, but usually coloured vinyl is made by plants that don't know what they are doing, that's the problem. Technically, black vinyl is coloured vinyl. All vinyl is clear, until dye is added. The colour is insignificant.

Also, Pearl Jam vinyl is garbage, so that's another point for your argument.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

Colored vinyl is for noobs. Its far inferior in sound, which is why you buy vinyl. No one displays colored vinyl (it would warp), so what are the point to these colored vinyl reissues? Nothing. Cash grab. Unless you just like to hoard stuff so you can brag to online acquantences that will never see them. Jm2c

Not true, but usually coloured vinyl is made by plants that don't know what they are doing, that's the problem. Technically, black vinyl is coloured vinyl. All vinyl is clear, until dye is added. The colour is insignificant.

Also, Pearl Jam vinyl is garbage, so that's another point for your argument.
    Exactly. (although I don't think all PJ vinyl is garbage. Just some of it). I personally have several coloured albums that have GREAT sound because whoever manufactured them actually gave a shit. Colours other than black do not sound any worse because they're coloured. Any record, including black ones, sound like shit only when they weren't pressed very well. It's all just about quality control.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jamesbennettiiijamesbennettiii Posts: 40
    edited April 2014
    Sound quality of an LP hinges on many different factors, none of which are the colours of the dye pellets they add to the mix. Period. Most audiophile, great sounding records are made, seriously, by old dudes - who remember vinyl being black. Also, an amazing 180g or 200 gram vinyl black record is the most beautiful, let's face it. Check Neil Young's "Living With War", or "Psychedelic Pill".

I agree not all PJ LPs are bad - but the last few pressings are LITERALLY nothing to pay a few hundred bucks for, sound quality wise. They are digital transfers onto wax - and bad ones at that.

There are so many garbage sounding black LPs, and so many good, coloured ones. (check Third Man Records' Elephant RSD release).
    And vice versa.
    Post edited by jamesbennettiii on