Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Clifton Heights Fire Hall, beef & beer, rip-off cover band of The Beatles playing at ear-bleeding levels. Fucking Delco as all get out. What I'm trying to say is - my kinda shit.

A nice sight as well is of a wedding reception, at a fire hall, where the bride is outside having her 30th smoke and hocking loogies on the ground. This is usually right before the groom is going to fight somebody, anybody....What the fuck are you looking at? Oh, yes, it gets me all nostalgic just thinking about it.

We had a beef and beer before just so our friends could afford their fucking shore house. Christ.

And if you don't live directly in the middle of the city I'm 99.99999% certain EVERYONE in the Philly area drives drunk all the time....and plays it off as, "Eh, I just had a couple-a beers." When in fact they had a shit ton of Buds and Jacquin's Rock & Rye (bonus points for Rumple Minze) - all the while stuffing a jukebox with Yes and Genesis songs  to get "their money's worth" (the looonnnnng fucking songs, which they will uppercut you if you bring up that Phil Collins bullshit) as it's all consumed in a hammer-ass corner dive bar in Essington and now they have to drive all the fuck the way home to Drexel Hill.
    this is pretty damn funny but so spot on.  Although I think those Yes and Genesis long songs are awesome ("it's one o'clock and time for lunch...dum de dum dum" - bonus points for getting that one!).   you haven't lived until you've attended a beef and beef fundraiser where you have to buy raffle tickets and put them  in buckets for prizes you don't really want.  I think i have a Peter Forsberg jersey tucked away somewhere that i won at one of these fuckers.  

I like those stupid baskets because I can give my wife 50 bucks and she is gone for an hour while I drink beers with the boys. 
    Agree that anything we ever won was pretty much crap.
    Even a collection of gift cars that we won last year sits unused. 
    The best Beef & Beer Raffle gift = The Basket Of Cheer (also a term I think only limited to the Philly area), which - I'm sure you're all aware - is just a gigantic basket full of handles of liquor. Nothing like getting pulled over after a beef & beer where you've been pounding all alcohol in sight to have the cop see a basket of booze in the back (WHICH HAS ALREADY BEEN TAPPED INTO ON THE RIDE HOME MIND YOU BECAUSE FTW I WON MOTHERFUCKER).

And if you win the cash in a 50/50 you better put your half of the 50/50 back in the fucking pot, man. It's for the fucking kids ya pieceashit.
    totally that is expected. thank God I never won one of those 50/50s.  As for the basket of cheer half of it is shit you won't drink yourself anyway.  Raspberry Schnapps? yea thanks for that. i think some of the shit from a basket of cheer I won years ago might still be in our liquor cabinet.  just give me the whiskey,  vodka or tequila and leave the rest of the shit out.  man you guys are bringing back so many memories of beef and beers for me now.  
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy.  This whole giving back the 50/50 is some ridiculous shit, depending on what it is for and whether I would give to it normally or if it was some beef and beer i was forced into because some friend of a friends dad died 5 years ago.  Fuck outta here.
    Fuck's the matter with ya? Put ten bucks in the pot ya low life!

On top of the $10-$20 for the beef and beer, you better put an additional $10 into the 50/50. Why not just make the beef & beer $30 then? No, the point is to win, be called out publicly, and show what a TRUE human being you are by giving that money back.

And don't forget to pick up your t-shirt of the cop guy with his face on the front who died 30 years ago, while everyone speaks with racial undertones as to how the guy died. YOU'RE WEARING THAT SHIRT.

Oh, I'll put money in the 50/50, but unless it is a cause I am wholeheartedly behind, you better believe I'm keeping my half if I win.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,779
    That is LARRY'S money, ya low life....for his new liver. How ya think he's gonna be able to drink again? I swear - everyone's always thinkin' of themselves.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I would give my winning half of the 50/50 pot for Francine (I know her, she's a good girl) from Sun Valley High School to show us all what she shows every year at the fucking Wing Bowl in the parking lot for free.
    She barfed on my lawn one time when I had a kegger in high school.

I think I'm getting the Philly vibe from youse guys today.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    edited May 2017
    Not sure of the Beef & Beer 50/50's you guys are referring to but almost all of the ones I've attended have been for sick kids or someone with cancer.  Kind of hard to not give the money back for those.

Some of those descriptions are dead on though.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    JK_Livin said:
    Not sure of the Beef & Beer 50/50's you guys are referring to but almost all of the ones I've attended have been for sick kids or someone with cancer.  Kind of hard to not give the money back for those.

Some of those descriptions are dead on though.
    Have you seen Francine's ta-tas?
  • Options
  • Options
    That is LARRY'S money, ya low life....for his new liver. How ya think he's gonna be able to drink again? I swear - everyone's always thinkin' of themselves.
    You know who needs that money more than Larry?  The broads at Delilah's.  I'm just thinkin' of them.
  • Options
    I would give my winning half of the 50/50 pot for Francine (I know her, she's a good girl) from Sun Valley High School to show us all what she shows every year at the fucking Wing Bowl in the parking lot for free.

Now you're talkin...

Don't lump me in with these neanderthals 
  • Options
    You know who needs that money more than Larry?  The broads at Delilah's.  I'm just thinkin' of them.
    Exactly
  • Options

Now you're talkin...

Please, Cliff - ya couldn't miss that dome of yours from anywhere (I am one to talk). And ya got your friggin' family living here as well. Oh, you're in with these neanderthals.

• Options

Now you're talkin...

Please, Cliff - ya couldn't miss that dome of yours from anywhere (I am one to talk). And ya got your friggin' family living here as well. Oh, you're in with these neanderthals.

Touche

And god dammit.
  • Options
    Looks like the weather is going to hold out....Vivid Seats had 2 tickets, row 1, section 130.  I can see how shitty my Reds are and tell them so if I choose.  The boy will get baseballs again (he got 3 one game last year sitting on the dugout) but this will be the first time on the dugout with the damn netting in place.  (I do like that I wont need to hover over him every time a lefty is up for fear a liner hits his space cadet head while he is looking around at everything but the hitter.)

First 2 games this weekend after 30 or so Little League games this year.  Shit, I need it!

Now if the Phillies can cooperate and lose Fri/Sun all will be good.   
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Looks like the weather is going to hold out....Vivid Seats had 2 tickets, row 1, section 130.  I can see how shitty my Reds are and tell them so if I choose.  The boy will get baseballs again (he got 3 one game last year sitting on the dugout) but this will be the first time on the dugout with the damn netting in place.  (I do like that I wont need to hover over him every time a lefty is up for fear a liner hits his space cadet head while he is looking around at everything but the hitter.)

First 2 games this weekend after 30 or so Little League games this year.  Shit, I need it!

Mrs Juggler and I might be going down on saturday. On Monday we can compare notes on the shitiness of our teams. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Mrs Juggler and I might be going down on saturday. On Monday we can compare notes on the shitiness of our teams. 
    Both shitty.
    They both have the same problem, right?  (Pitching is awful?) 
    Scores should be above 10 all games.  (Which means it will likely be low scoring snooze-fests)
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279

Both shitty.
    They both have the same problem, right?  (Pitching is awful?) 
    Scores should be above 10 all games.  (Which means it will likely be low scoring snooze-fests)
    Give me a low scoring 3 hour-ish pitchers duel over a 10-8 4 hour marathon any day of the week....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Tuscany here I fucking come, bitches. Stock up on the Chianti 
  • Options
    I like this post. Eat and drink it up.
  • Options
    Be sure to drink enough in the airport and on the first hour of the flight to sleep the rest of the way.
    Have fun, man.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    wow they actually won
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Be sure to drink enough in the airport and on the first hour of the flight to sleep the rest of the way.
    Have fun, man.
    Well on my way. Been 6 years since I've done a Europe flight. Way too long. Thanks
  • Options
    I like this post. Eat and drink it up.
    Yessir 
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    OK, who is the guy who said that this phillies team was 'fun to watch'???  hahahaha

also, lebron is def the GOAT and ottawa needs a goal here.  
  • Options
    I'm prob late but anyone else watch the HOF stuff on HBO?  I turned down tickets and I'm so glad I did.  So lame.  Congrats to PJ getting inducted, but it's pretty obvious that they have thrown the towel in.  Been almost four years since their last album, which was average at best, just like their last few albums have been.  No new album rumors, which means we are prob a year or more away from them releasing anything.  

They had an amazing run -- were my band for most of my life -- but they have become stagnant and boring.  Lot of great music out there from other bands.  Sad that Pearl Jam isn't part of it anymore -- other than a live show here and there, they haven't been part of it for a long time.

Their HOF induction was kind of a funeral.  Sad but true - you could tell Vedder is done.  I don't blame him at all, but it sucks for the fans
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    make sure you hit Siena -- best town in that area.  Do it - will not regret it.  The wine over there is no joke.  Have a great trip!
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Wobbie said:
    The Fixer said:
    pjhawks said:
    is the Nats offense great because they have played the Phils 12 times or is the Phils pitching not quite as bad as it seems because they have played the Nats 12 times already?

has anyone else in either league played 33% of their games against one team like the Phils and Nats have so far? Phils schedule has been brutal.

and bring on the heat. can't wait until later in the week.
    The phillies just suck

The Fixer can be objective, while the juggler sees everything philly thru his rose colored glasses.
    tough to talk baseball in these parts.  have better convos about MLB with my dog.  (no offense to JP or cliffy -- we should get beers when cliff is done jetsetting.  It's been a while)
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    The Fixer said:
    Best thing I did was buy the At-Bat app for a measly $20 - now I can listen to the games at work, or anywhere really. In related news, Juggs, that sounds like jinx talk right there, ya mush.
    I thought so too.....also thought I jinxed them on Sunday with the broom comment. Fun team to watch again. Hope it lasts longer than it did last year
    not a fun team at all. I think they still lose 90 games. only long term pieces are neris and nola (valezquez if they move him to pen). so two bp pieces and no position players. farm system also sucks. fans excited about sweeping marlins and braves are same ones who were excited when eagles beat browns and bears to open their season. philly fans are so dumb
    here it is.  some people are better off not talking baseball

'fun team to watch'.  were you at an iron pigs game?
  • Options
    I'm prob late but anyone else watch the HOF stuff on HBO?  I turned down tickets and I'm so glad I did.  So lame.

I went and it was a lot of fun. 

Life is what you make it, my friend. 

Had a great meal with Dankind prior and then we went out drinking until 4 AM with SD.  Really enjoyed it overall and even though they only played three songs plus the jam on RITFW it was worth the drive and hotel.  Had another good meal in the morning when I rolled out of the rack.

• Options
    The Fixer said:
    Wobbie said:
    The Fixer said:
    pjhawks said:
    is the Nats offense great because they have played the Phils 12 times or is the Phils pitching not quite as bad as it seems because they have played the Nats 12 times already?

has anyone else in either league played 33% of their games against one team like the Phils and Nats have so far? Phils schedule has been brutal.

and bring on the heat. can't wait until later in the week.
    The phillies just suck

The Fixer can be objective, while the juggler sees everything philly thru his rose colored glasses.
    tough to talk baseball in these parts.  have better convos about MLB with my dog.  (no offense to JP or cliffy -- we should get beers when cliff is done jetsetting.  It's been a while)
    Don't talk baseball with Wobbie or take this post seriously.  He is just trolling our Juggler to have a smile.
    Wobbie woots for every team except Los Doyers.
  • Options
    Woot! One down, one to go on Sunday.  Joey Votto had what I'm sure for him was a career first

He struck out, popped out, and made an error.
    He also yelled Fuck very loudly and gave a fan the bird in a semi discreet manner.  The 12 yr old nephew was very amused by this.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    woo-hoo, worst record in baseball now.  :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA