Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,782
    edited May 2017
    Like I said before, that Tower show was the last night I had any real fun at a show before November 8th and I realized 1 in 4 adults around me are true pieces of shit.

Best memory of that dude I have is the year or two before PJ20 I heard some Soundgarden show and he sounded absolutely terrible - couldn't hit any notes, cracked voice, just total crap. Then, being at PJ20, dude fucking killed it on the TOTD songs and I was blown away.

Don't know the full story on here, but if it's suicide then you can't get much lower in valuing yourself. I know we all rip the shit out of each other, but tell someone you love them today because depression is a fucking bitch. 
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,602
    Awful.  I don't and never followed his bands like PJ, but obviously an incredible voice.  2nd the comment on PJ20.  That was all kinds of awesome and glad I got to see it.

Given that I don't follow him as closely, I always thought he came across as pretty grounded and in a good place.  Dude clearly had some demons.  Just terrible.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Was lucky enough to see him with SG a number of times (once @ The Tower), Solo (@ Scottish Rite in Collingswood, very close to the stage, so cool), and with TOTD (Tower).  Been thinking about it since shortly after 4 when a text chain of 10C-ers started firing off on my phone, alerting me to his passing. 
    Left behind a few young children.
    So sad for them.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,880
    Saw Chris Cornell six times. 
    Audioslave:
    - 3/7/03@ Electric Factory
    - 7/27/03@ Lollapalooza (Camden, NJ)
    - 10/28/05@ Tweeter Center (Camden, NJ

Soundgarden:
    - 7/13/11@ Festival Pier
    - 1/19/13@ The Tower Theater

and Temple of the Dog last year at the tower

Here's audioslave at lollapalooza in camden.  my favorite was them covering The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU9e1SA3O9Y

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Fuck this team

Good way to spend Saturday night as an "adult" -

https://youtu.be/1OJAhB5Cark

Fun fact - this is the last night I had a genuine fun night before the mouth breathers took over.
    watching this now.  my favorite concert last year.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Hey, at least we are 5-7 v. the Nats.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Audioslave:

Soundgarden:
    - 7/13/11@ Festival Pier

Here's audioslave at lollapalooza in camden.  my favorite was them covering The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army"

Those Audioslave shows must've been great.  I checked out from 02-06 because we had 2 kids.  There wasn't much info coming into the house from the outside. Just tried to get as much sleep as possible during those years. I missed out on new music during that time period., especially Audioslave and The White Stripes. 
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    Audioslave:

Soundgarden:
    - 7/13/11@ Festival Pier

Those Audioslave shows must've been great.  I checked out from 02-06 because we had 2 kids.  There wasn't much info coming into the house from the outside. Just tried to get as much sleep as possible during those years. I missed out on new music during that time period., especially Audioslave and The White Stripes. 
    they were.  I think Audioslave did the White Stripes song for a reason.  The White Stripes were suppose to play in philly a few days beforehand but cancelled (Jack hurt his hand or something).  So maybe that was Audioslave giving philly at least some white stripes.  I was kinda upset that they cancelled cause that was gonna be my first time seeing them.  They were gonna play Penn's Landing.  Show got rescheduled for November in Camden and I couldn't make it or something and missed it. 
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Phillies win!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,197
    watching some of the tributes to Cornell has been hard.  This one below from the WMMR BBQ is gut wrenching.  Hard not to the cry watching this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5UsxLcZ1Cg

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    ^^^ With that warning I will dodge on a Monday AM.  ;)

Seriously, though, too raw a nerve still to be thinking too much about it.  Was at a party yesterday and my wife was wearing a TOTD shirt, which lead to someone asking her about it and her looping me in as a Pearl Jam nutter and this small group wanted to talk about it.  I corrected a few items and excused myself from the conversation.  Read no articles about it and had to shut off both Singles and Audioslave at different points this weekend.  Just didn't want to dwell too much and get bummed out.  Want to try and get there but I start thinking about his family and it stirs strong emotions.

Looks like I may only go to Sunday's Reds/Phillies game.  Still dicking around on tickets for Friday. 
    Arroyo/Nola.  Would likely see a bunch of homers from Phils and see what Nola has going on. 
    Sunday it is Shit vs Shit so should see lots of hitting.
    Cock-ass weather doesn't look good this week, however.

• Options
    The Italian Market festival is the best.  Just a big group of all different types of people with awesome food and all.  Beautiful day for it yesterday too.
  • Options
    The Italian Market festival is the best.  Just a big group of all different types of people with awesome food and all.  Beautiful day for it yesterday too.
    My wife mentioned that but we had other shit we had to do this weekend.
  • Options
    Couldn't make it down this year; had some shit to do then dinner at Noord. Anyone get all the way up the grease pole?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Couldn't make it down this year; had some shit to do then dinner at Noord. Anyone get all the way up the grease pole?

Actually didn't make it to the grease pole but from what I understand no. Wasn't going on when we walked by then above Washington looked like a zoo when it was happening.

great time overall though. Definitely my favorite spring festival in the city

how was noord? Good spot right?
  • Options
    My wife's uncle talked up Nick's for Roast Beef yesterday when we were at a party together.  He was a butcher and he generally knows about such things.

Any insight?

Looks like it goes on the list of shit to try soon.
  • Options
    My wife's uncle talked up Nick's for Roast Beef yesterday when we were at a party together.  He was a butcher and he generally knows about such things.

Any insight?

I have only been once after my work did a volunteer day at a school right by it, but I remember it being good and cheap beers.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Actually didn't make it to the grease pole but from what I understand no. Wasn't going on when we walked by then above Washington looked like a zoo when it was happening.

Yeah, I assume those idiots will never get to the top.

Yeah, man, Noord is the shit. Waiter/chef were awesome and gave us an extra app of the soft shell crabs and free dessert. Pretty friggin awesome.

Any insight?

Are we talking Nick's up at 20th & Jackson? Good stuff, but I personally am not blown away by roast beef sandwiches. I just always equate them with beef & beers (which, I also didn't know until fairly recently is a local colloquialism - also known to some of us as Delco insurance, or Irish life insurance).
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    Irish Life Insurance.  :lol:

Yes, same place, thanks!
  • Options

Yeah, man, Noord is the shit. Waiter/chef were awesome and gave us an extra app of the soft shell crabs and free dessert. Pretty friggin awesome.

Any insight?

Are we talking Nick's up at 20th & Jackson? Good stuff, but I personally am not blown away by roast beef sandwiches. I just always equate them with beef & beers (which, I also didn't know until fairly recently is a local colloquialism - also known to some of us as Delco insurance, or Irish life insurance).
    I have not been to a beef and beer in a while, but goodness, what a Philly thing.  On one hand, good on philly for supporting friends and family in times of need, on the other hand, what in the hell?  Roast beef, ziti and miller light kegs in a school/church gym with a DJ playing the same dozen songs over and over.
  • Options

Any insight?

I have not been to a beef and beer in a while, but goodness, what a Philly thing.  On one hand, good on philly for supporting friends and family in times of need, on the other hand, what in the hell?  Roast beef, ziti and miller light kegs in a school/church gym with a DJ playing the same dozen songs over and over.
    so funny but so true about beef and beers.  
  • Options
    Irish Life Insurance.  :lol:

The funniest thing I read yesterday.
    I was driving after work and drove past a firehouse where I attended a Beef & Beer, and just started cracking the fuck up.

I will also point out that my wife and I Ubered there and seemingly half of the people in attendance drank a fuckload and drove home.  From a charity fundraiser at a firehouse where an EMT-mobile was parked right out front.  Being in Cherry Hill nobody was walking or taking public transport. 
    Crazy how accepted getting behind the wheel when you are tuned up still is.  #dumb
  • Options
    Clifton Heights Fire Hall, beef & beer, rip-off cover band of The Beatles playing at ear-bleeding levels. Fucking Delco as all get out. What I'm trying to say is - my kinda shit.

A nice sight as well is of a wedding reception, at a fire hall, where the bride is outside having her 30th smoke and hocking loogies on the ground. This is usually right before the groom is going to fight somebody, anybody....What the fuck are you looking at? Oh, yes, it gets me all nostalgic just thinking about it.

We had a beef and beer before just so our friends could afford their fucking shore house. Christ.

And if you don't live directly in the middle of the city I'm 99.99999% certain EVERYONE in the Philly area drives drunk all the time....and plays it off as, "Eh, I just had a couple-a beers." When in fact they had a shit ton of Buds and Jacquin's Rock & Rye (bonus points for Rumple Minze) - all the while stuffing a jukebox with Yes and Genesis songs  to get "their money's worth" (the looonnnnng fucking songs, which they will uppercut you if you bring up that Phil Collins bullshit) as it's all consumed in a hammer-ass corner dive bar in Essington and now they have to drive all the fuck the way home to Drexel Hill.
  • Options
    Clifton Heights Fire Hall, beef & beer, rip-off cover band of The Beatles playing at ear-bleeding levels. Fucking Delco as all get out. What I'm trying to say is - my kinda shit.

A nice sight as well is of a wedding reception, at a fire hall, where the bride is outside having her 30th smoke and hocking loogies on the ground. This is usually right before the groom is going to fight somebody, anybody....What the fuck are you looking at? Oh, yes, it gets me all nostalgic just thinking about it.

We had a beef and beer before just so our friends could afford their fucking shore house. Christ.

And if you don't live directly in the middle of the city I'm 99.99999% certain EVERYONE in the Philly area drives drunk all the time....and plays it off as, "Eh, I just had a couple-a beers." When in fact they had a shit ton of Buds and Jacquin's Rock & Rye (bonus points for Rumple Minze) - all the while stuffing a jukebox with Yes and Genesis songs  to get "their money's worth" (the looonnnnng fucking songs, which they will uppercut you if you bring up that Phil Collins bullshit) as it's all consumed in a hammer-ass corner dive bar in Essington and now they have to drive all the fuck the way home to Drexel Hill.
    Dude, that is classic.

• Options

this is pretty damn funny but so spot on.  Although I think those Yes and Genesis long songs are awesome ("it's one o'clock and time for lunch...dum de dum dum" - bonus points for getting that one!).   you haven't lived until you've attended a beef and beef fundraiser where you have to buy raffle tickets and put them  in buckets for prizes you don't really want.  I think i have a Peter Forsberg jersey tucked away somewhere that i won at one of these fuckers.  

• Options
    pjhawks said:

this is pretty damn funny but so spot on.  Although I think those Yes and Genesis long songs are awesome ("it's one o'clock and time for lunch...dum de dum dum" - bonus points for getting that one!).   you haven't lived until you've attended a beef and beef fundraiser where you have to buy raffle tickets and put them  in buckets for prizes you don't really want.  I think i have a Peter Forsberg jersey tucked away somewhere that i won at one of these fuckers.  

I like those stupid baskets because I can give my wife 50 bucks and she is gone for an hour while I drink beers with the boys. 
    Agree that anything we ever won was pretty much crap.
    Even a collection of gift cars that we won last year sits unused. 
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    pjhawks said:

I like those stupid baskets because I can give my wife 50 bucks and she is gone for an hour while I drink beers with the boys. 
    The best Beef & Beer Raffle gift = The Basket Of Cheer (also a term I think only limited to the Philly area), which - I'm sure you're all aware - is just a gigantic basket full of handles of liquor. Nothing like getting pulled over after a beef & beer where you've been pounding all alcohol in sight to have the cop see a basket of booze in the back (WHICH HAS ALREADY BEEN TAPPED INTO ON THE RIDE HOME MIND YOU BECAUSE FTW I WON MOTHERFUCKER).

And if you win the cash in a 50/50 you better put your half of the 50/50 back in the fucking pot, man. It's for the fucking kids ya pieceashit.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

The best Beef & Beer Raffle gift = The Basket Of Cheer (also a term I think only limited to the Philly area), which - I'm sure you're all aware - is just a gigantic basket full of handles of liquor. Nothing like getting pulled over after a beef & beer where you've been pounding all alcohol in sight to have the cop see a basket of booze in the back (WHICH HAS ALREADY BEEN TAPPED INTO ON THE RIDE HOME MIND YOU BECAUSE FTW I WON MOTHERFUCKER).

And if you win the cash in a 50/50 you better put your half of the 50/50 back in the fucking pot, man. It's for the fucking kids ya pieceashit.
    totally that is expected. thank God I never won one of those 50/50s.  As for the basket of cheer half of it is shit you won't drink yourself anyway.  Raspberry Schnapps? yea thanks for that. i think some of the shit from a basket of cheer I won years ago might still be in our liquor cabinet.  just give me the whiskey,  vodka or tequila and leave the rest of the shit out.  man you guys are bringing back so many memories of beef and beers for me now.  
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

totally that is expected. thank God I never won one of those 50/50s.  As for the basket of cheer half of it is shit you won't drink yourself anyway.  Raspberry Schnapps? yea thanks for that. i think some of the shit from a basket of cheer I won years ago might still be in our liquor cabinet.  just give me the whiskey,  vodka or tequila and leave the rest of the shit out.  man you guys are bringing back so many memories of beef and beers for me now.  
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy.  This whole giving back the 50/50 is some ridiculous shit, depending on what it is for and whether I would give to it normally or if it was some beef and beer i was forced into because some friend of a friends dad died 5 years ago.  Fuck outta here.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.  This whole giving back the 50/50 is some ridiculous shit, depending on what it is for and whether I would give to it normally or if it was some beef and beer i was forced into because some friend of a friends dad died 5 years ago.  Fuck outta here.
    Fuck's the matter with ya? Put ten bucks in the pot ya low life!

On top of the $10-$20 for the beef and beer, you better put an additional $10 into the 50/50. Why not just make the beef & beer $30 then? No, the point is to win, be called out publicly, and show what a TRUE human being you are by giving that money back.

And don't forget to pick up your t-shirt of the cop guy with his face on the front who died 30 years ago, while everyone speaks with racial undertones as to how the guy died. YOU'RE WEARING THAT SHIRT.