Options

Lack of vinyl...

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719

brianlux said:

I just want good music and I want it on vinyl so I can hear it properly. I don't really care if it's collectable, limited, comes with a free digital down load, a book with a bunch of pictures and lyrics I can get on the internet, stickers, or is printed on clear, redbluegreenpurpleyellow or babyshitbrown vinyl and comes with a free gold plated condom. Just give me the damn vinyl in a decent inner sleeve and cardboard cover! (Did I get a little carried away there? image )

You don't want Pearl Jam vinyl if you want it on vinyl properly. This is the biggest misconception by PJ fans. They assume because its vinyl it sounds better. The reissue Benny on vinyl thread is hilarious. The CD sounds just as good if not better than the vinyl, plus you don't have to flip it 4 times. "I just want to hear it on vinyl man"....please.
    I agree that if it's pressed on vinyl it should be a good pressing. But for me, the basic difference is analog as opposed to digital. I can tell the difference blindfolded every time. I have Yield, Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, Mirror Ball and LB on both vinyl and CD and believe me, ma-a-a-an, in each case, the vinyl kicks ass on the CDs. I keep the CD's for listening in the car and the vinyl for listening at home for real. And I have no problem with taking the time and care to turn the records over.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Enlighten us on how "remastering" makes it better.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

I just want good music and I want it on vinyl so I can hear it properly. I don't really care if it's collectable, limited, comes with a free digital down load, a book with a bunch of pictures and lyrics I can get on the internet, stickers, or is printed on clear, redbluegreenpurpleyellow or babyshitbrown vinyl and comes with a free gold plated condom. Just give me the damn vinyl in a decent inner sleeve and cardboard cover! (Did I get a little carried away there? image )

You don't want Pearl Jam vinyl if you want it on vinyl properly. This is the biggest misconception by PJ fans. They assume because its vinyl it sounds better. The reissue Benny on vinyl thread is hilarious. The CD sounds just as good if not better than the vinyl, plus you don't have to flip it 4 times. "I just want to hear it on vinyl man"....please.
    I agree that if it's pressed on vinyl it should be a good pressing. But for me, the basic difference is analog as opposed to digital. I can tell the difference blindfolded every time. I have Yield, Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, Mirror Ball and LB on both vinyl and CD and believe me, ma-a-a-an, in each case, the vinyl kicks ass on the CDs. I keep the CD's for listening in the car and the vinyl for listening at home for real. And I have no problem with taking the time and care to turn the records over.
    Agreed and beyond this, some folks just want to spin the PJ vinyl as they do with vinyl from other bands. For some it goes beyond just the pure audio experience. Why this bothers some that incessantly need to "remind" everyone what medium they should prefer, I'll never quite understand.
  • Options
    pmub
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

Enlighten us on how "remastering" makes it better.

Well, in a perfect world, what is pressed on vinyl will never be converted to a digital format and it would have a slightly different eq'ing that fit the format better.

Generally speaking though, remastering updates the music to the prevailing format.
  • Options
    how slight is the diff in EQ?
    would you say they overdid it on Lightning Bolt?
  • Options
    In all honesty I find the "vinyls only good if it's are pressed properly" and remaster anti digital argument profoundly weak.
    Do you feel that the band wasn't involved in the mixing and mastering of their own records? I mean Ten was one period in time when they probably didn't have a whole lot of say, but Binaural? No Code? Those are the best sounding albums (on CD and cassette, mind you) that I've ever heard. Where's this "better sounding" record supposed to come from?
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,936
    I don't think the remainder of their epic catalog needs remastering.
  • Options
    Commence the repressing then!
  • Options

how slight is the diff in EQ?
    would you say they overdid it on Lightning Bolt?

I think it's usually pretty slight. With digital, the high end gets tamed and the bass gets a little kick and the opposite is generall true for vinyl. Someone may come along and tell you what frequencies they generally focus on, but thats the short of it.

I haven't listened to LB too many times, but I don't remember it sounding too bad anywhere.

In all honesty I find the "vinyls only good if it's are pressed properly" and remaster anti digital argument profoundly weak.
    Do you feel that the band wasn't involved in the mixing and mastering of their own records? I mean Ten was one period in time when they probably didn't have a whole lot of say, but Binaural? No Code? Those are the best sounding albums (on CD and cassette, mind you) that I've ever heard. Where's this "better sounding" record supposed to come from?

From an analog source. I agree that PJ albums sound great on cd, but the fact is their vinyl doesn't sound amazing. I think that most of the perception that PJ and other artists' records sound waaaay better, is that it's a more involved listening experience. You're gonna hear things better when you're paying close attention.I've been guilty of it as well, but when I've sat back and listened, the difference is usually minimal. Now some vinyl from other bands has caught my attention and made my ears perk up, when I was picking up around the house, or playing cards.

Are there instances where PJ songs sound better on vinyl? I think alot of the mellower stuff has a little extra "vibe" to it that enhances it. Coincidentally, their most mellow albums are the ones that gets hailed as their best sounding records. There are also several instances where the vinyl is virtually unlistenable compared to the cd.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

From an analog source. I agree that PJ albums sound great on cd, but the fact is their vinyl doesn't sound amazing. I think that most of the perception that PJ and other artists' records sound waaaay better, is that it's a more involved listening experience. .....Are there instances where PJ songs sound better on vinyl? I think alot of the mellower stuff has a little extra "vibe" to it that enhances it. Coincidentally, their most mellow albums are the ones that gets hailed as their best sounding records. There are also several instances where the vinyl is virtually unlistenable compared to the cd.

These are all subjective opinions, not fact.

• Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    DewieCox said:

There are also several instances where the vinyl is virtually unlistenable compared to the cd.

I think that is endemic of the genre. Rock music demands really excellent tracking and a deep riding stylus. The better the equipment, the more magical those soft moments (that sound great even on the worst vinyl setups) and the more clear and listenable the heavy ones.

10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options

DewieCox said:

From an analog source. I agree that PJ albums sound great on cd, but the fact is their vinyl doesn't sound amazing. I think that most of the perception that PJ and other artists' records sound waaaay better, is that it's a more involved listening experience. .....Are there instances where PJ songs sound better on vinyl? I think alot of the mellower stuff has a little extra "vibe" to it that enhances it. Coincidentally, their most mellow albums are the ones that gets hailed as their best sounding records. There are also several instances where the vinyl is virtually unlistenable compared to the cd.

These are all subjective opinions, not fact.

Ok, "better" may not be the right word, but it is a fact that there is only a minimal difference between the vinyl and the cd. It's the exact same mix on every format. I think LB is the first album that has a vinyl specific master and talk about a botch job out if the gate with that one.

And I guess if you like your music with a real lack of clarity extra distortion added, like Backspacer and S/T then we do have a difference of opinion.
  • Options
    aurynsdad said:

DewieCox said:

There are also several instances where the vinyl is virtually unlistenable compared to the cd.

I think that is endemic of the genre. Rock music demands really excellent tracking and a deep riding stylus. The better the equipment, the more magical those soft moments (that sound great even on the worst vinyl setups) and the more clear and listenable the heavy ones.

Maybe, but I have plenty of rock records that sound amazing. I'm not just picking on PJ. There are other bands that have put out records with quality less than what could or has been achieved.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Ok, "better" may not be the right word, but it is a fact that there is only a minimal difference between the vinyl and the cd. It's the exact same mix on every format. I think LB is the first album that has a vinyl specific master and talk about a botch job out if the gate with that one.

And I guess if you like your music with a real lack of clarity extra distortion added, like Backspacer and S/T then we do have a difference of opinion.

Where are you finding a lack of clarity and extra distortion on Backspacer, specifically? I have that LP (and thousands of other LPs) and a semi decent system, and I am not experiencing poor sound quality.

Do you honestly think those records sound bad compared to the CDs? What are you basing that on? Do you think the band thinks their LPs sound bad and just don't care?

If those middle albums were AVAILABLE to BUY in the effing store on LP, I could honestly debate you.

• Options

DewieCox said:

Where are you finding a lack of clarity and extra distortion on Backspacer, specifically? I have that LP (and thousands of other LPs) and a semi decent system, and I am not experiencing poor sound quality.

Do you honestly think those records sound bad compared to the CDs? What are you basing that on? Do you think the band thinks their LPs sound bad and just don't care?

If those middle albums were AVAILABLE to BUY in the effing store on LP, I could honestly debate you.
    About any of the more rocking tunes on Backspacer...Supersonic and Amongt the Waves are the worst offenders. ATW should sound pretty good, as there is plenty of space in the arrangement. Just not the smoothness and clarity that I hear in great sounding records. I find the cd has more clarity on those songs.

S/T is more about the clipping from the over compression. It's a problem on the cd as well. Not really better or worse.

I've heard worse, but I will say Backspacer and Avocado sound the worst out of all their records.

The other albums from the middle period....I certainly don't think they sound worse and have their moments where the format enhances them. Just not sure if they sound as good as they could sound.

Would I be upset if they don't remaster those album and just repress them as they are? No, b/c they actually do sound pretty good, but I think they could sound much better, knowing that they recorded in an analog format. Some of the issues with S/T and Backspacer could be fixed, but I seriously doubt those are gonna be reissued anyway.

The fact that most of their records offer the same mix, I'd say the vinyl releases were almost an afterthought.

I'd like to see them go the Neil Young route...his vinyl is more expensive than most, but it's always spot on from a production standpoint. His recent release had some pressing issues, but like with LB/PJ, it's hard to put the full blame on him for that.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    DewieCox said:

About any of the more rocking tunes on Backspacer...Supersonic and Amongt the Waves are the worst offenders. ATW should sound pretty good, as there is plenty of space in the arrangement. Just not the smoothness and clarity that I hear in great sounding records. I find the cd has more clarity on those songs.

S/T is more about the clipping from the over compression. It's a problem on the cd as well. Not really better or worse.

I've heard worse, but I will say Backspacer and Avocado sound the worst out of all their records.

The other albums from the middle period....I certainly don't think they sound worse and have their moments where the format enhances them. Just not sure if they sound as good as they could sound.

So you contend the master tapes of most of Avocado and Backspacer weren't recorded properly? CDs or LPs, it doesn't matter. They have clipping from overcompression? They just recorded that shit too hot, and then just left it that way? That's your stand?

Dude, I don't think you know what you're talking about, especially if they're using the same mix CD or LP. Maybe it's your system.

It still makes no difference because there's still no vinyl LPs in the store.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    Someday I will listen to my vinyl of Avocado, and we'll see if it's like the CD. I can definitely say that while I am a fan of that album, it is embarrassingly jarring when you turn the music loud. Some have told me that the vinyl is better, others have disagreed.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options

So you contend the master tapes of most of Avocado and Backspacer weren't recorded properly? CDs or LPs, it doesn't matter. They have clipping from overcompression? They just recorded that shit too hot, and then just left it that way? That's your stand?

Dude, I don't think you know what you're talking about, especially if they're using the same mix CD or LP. Maybe it's your system.

No, I'm assuming they know how to record without clipping. I'm saying it comes after it's recorded, but before it's pressed to whatever format. The clipping is a telltale sign of compression and cranking the volume. S/T is notorious for this.

I'm not an expert on the matter, but I do know what I'm talking about in this case. It's not "if they're using the same mix". They are using the same final mix for both formats. Any vinyl expert will tell you that.

I have a modest system, but it has no problem making other records sound amazing. The improved clarity on the Backspacer cd compared to vinyl is predictable when you take in the fact that high end is more easily reproduced and bass frequencies are attenuated in a digital medium and the opposite is true for vinyl.

I'm not the only PJ or vinyl fan that has this stance on PJ's records. Again, most of them sound good, but I've heard other modern bands with better sounding vinyl and I'd love PJ to meet that standard.
  • Options
    yeah that was too harsh...sorry DC.
  • Options
    I agree with DewieCox. Pearl Jam does appear to use the same mix, even if it can at times sound far better on vinyl (Present Tense!). My favorite contrast right now is Jonathan Wilson. His Gentle Spirit LP is rock music that is so delicately handled, it's magical. I honestly compare it with listening to Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719

I agree with your first statement although maybe saying someones opinion is "profoundly weak" is too harsh. First of all the music always comes before the format. Secondly, what sounds "good" or "best" or "better" is in the ears of the beholder. I have a re-issue copy of Paul Butterfield Blues Band's East West issued put out by Edsel Records. The pressing sucks but I still prefer it to the digital CD. That doesn't mean you or anyone else would prefer the Edsel analog, it's just means that for me I'd rather listen to a inferior analog copy than a clean digital copy (digitally clean as Neil Young would say :-) ). And if I ever come across a pristine copy of that LP on the original label, Elektra Records, I'll be even happier!

As for blaming any band on the sound of the finished product, most of us understand that few artists have that much control over what gets put out on the market- though of course most of the heavy hitters do or at least ought to have a lot of say-so that way.

The "better sounding" records come from two sources- the production/engineering in the studio and the pressing plant itself. Like I said, it's my experience that Edsel pressings are inferior and Elektra's are better. Someone else might think otherwise and that's OK by me. I'm just lobbying be able to have the choice to hear music on an analog- particularly a superior analog- source... which I believe is where this all started. :-)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Well-said ^^
  • Options

yeah that was too harsh...sorry DC.

Not a problem. I'm all for any reissue program PJ wants to do. I hope I don't come across like more PJ vinyl would be a bad thing.
  • Options
    I hope I didn't come across like a total douche.
  • Options
    Did not set off my douchery detector at all
  • Options
    aurynsdad said:

I'd be really surprised if there aren't a number of counterfeits of PJ's mid-career albums floating around. With the technology that is out there, and the fact that these aren't mastered super distinctly, I imagine there's got to be more Avocados out there than the band actually produced. For that reason alone, I would expect them to reissue.

In the time since I wrote this, lo and behold, a plethora of fakes emergeth. Nostradamus out :D
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited April 2014

brianlux said:

Well, I opened the Benaroya Hall reissue thread. I don't have a perfect sound system, I do not have the "perfect ear", I am just a person who likes their music on vinyl lps. Others might prefer CDs or their ipod or whatever. I like it this way. I have stopped buying CDs a long time ago. The first thing I noticed with vinyl was that I could crank it up more than a CD or mp3. I love the cracks, the little noises, the experience of taking the LP out of its sleeve and putting it on the turntable. I love that I am forced to listen to it all the way through instead of picking my favourite tracks and putting them in a playlist. It feels more "organic" somehow. This is the way I personally like to experience music at home. I don't care either if it comes in black, white or banana colour. I cherish my vinyl collection and want it to grow. And since PJ is one of my favourite bands, I would love to own all their albums on vinyl. I don't care if I have to flip it four times. This is part of the listening experience. Why is that a bad thing?

Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

brianlux said:

Well, I opened the Benaroya Hall reissue thread. I don't have a perfect sound system, I do not have the "perfect ear", I am just a person who likes their music on vinyl lps. Others might prefer CDs or their ipod or whatever. I like it this way. I have stopped buying CDs a long time ago. The first thing I noticed with vinyl was that I could crank it up more than a CD or mp3. I love the cracks, the little noises, the experience of taking the LP out of its sleeve and putting it on the turntable. I love that I am forced to listen to it all the way through instead of picking my favourite tracks and putting them in a playlist. It feels more "organic" somehow. This is the way I personally like to experience music at home. I don't care either if it comes in black, white or banana colour. I cherish my vinyl collection and want it to grow. And since PJ is one of my favourite bands, I would love to own all their albums on vinyl. I don't care if I have to flip it four times. This is part of the listening experience. Why is that a bad thing?

Well said Leeze, for some people it is hard to understand that there is people out there who want to play vinyl and not just keep it sealed to sell/trade at a future date. The price of some PJ vinyl is nuts and acquiring the back catalogue over the last 18 months has cost me alot but I'm glad I own their records and spin them regularly. Like yourself I have stopped buying cds, I love listening to vinyl and it's rekindled my love of music again. The only cds I buy now is pretty much just the PJ bootlegs.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Totally agree. You don't necessarily hear the difference with every record, but some records completely come alive on vinyl (man, Sultans of Swing on Dire Straits' first album sounds like a different beast entirely). And there's always the ritual, and the customization, and the tribe of vinyl enthusiasts. Just a whole lot to sink your teeth into. For me, I can't say that about CDs.