Options

New Don Pendledon Pearl Jam print "The City Sleeps" update!

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,838
edited December 2014 in The Porch
@ Don Pendldon

I created a print that is a replica of the painting that I did at the Volcom store the night before the first Pearl Jam Brooklyn show and will be selling that from my store (http://www.donpendleton.bigcartel.com/) on Monday, March 17 at 4:00 PM EST. Same rules apply as usual...one print per customer. I will have a full image of the print on my Instagram on Sunday (@pendledon).
Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    I think two almost identical horrific show posters was more than enough
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635

I bought a poster Friday at Barclays. I didn't like it, but was hoping it would grow on me. By Saturday I realized it was going to live in the tube in my closet and never see the light of day, so I didn't buy the other one. I really wanted a nice Brooklyn poster, there are so many iconic things in Brooklyn he could have incorporated into the design. What a big disappointment.

I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    Let's see... I could do a bridge... nope
    I could do a city landscape...nope
    I could do an old baseball theme...nope
    I could do a new basketball theme...nope
    I got it!!! I'll do an owl. Nothing says Brooklyn like an owl.

I was so pissed. I went to Brooklyn, Hartford, OKC, and Seattle shows and bought no posters. OKC wasn't bad, but not for me.

I wish PJ would see the artist and styles that sell out instantly in their shops and their shows. Munk One, Emek, etc... those guys are amazing.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    JB128716 said:

I got it!!! I'll do an owl. Nothing says Brooklyn like an owl.

:)) :)) :))
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Wow maybe I'm the only one who actually likes the Brooklyn poster?? :) to me it's simple and very hangable as there are no skulls or otherwise weird, scary, or questionable in some way imagery. I love the message and interpretation on the back. I'm currently flattening mine to get it ready for framing.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options

This print is a replica of the painting that I did the night before the first Brooklyn Pearl Jam show. It will be for sale on my site tomorrow, 20"x 24", 6-color screen print, edition of 100, each signed and numbered. $80. I will be donating $2 from each print to the Alzheimer's Association. www.elephont.com 4:00 PM EST
  • Options
    nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    Uh, weren't they playing in Pittsburgh on Oct. 11?
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    ^^^yup^^^
  • Options
    Indeed. And the NYC Pop Shop event the painting happened on was midnight on October 15th.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I kind of wanted to tell this dude to kiss my ass at the Volcom store.

I mean, you're the artist behind the design of the latest Pearl Jam record. Then you're handed an awesome opportunity to create a poster for arguably the most iconic city the band would be playing this tour and you draw a bunch of fucking Hello Kitty owls?

And I know the back says some gibberish about "diversity" and but that's nonsense. I've been to his site and this is apparently all he ever draws, so that crap about diversity is just a cover for lack of inspiration and probably lack of giving a damn about New York City.

Of course, in the big picture, who gives a shit? However, you can't deny that it's pretty cool to go to a show in your home town and buy some art that depicts something iconic or of the local character. Just ask any Canadian. I mean, if PJ played a show in Canada and the poser was of an all-denim-wearing moose eating fries drowned in cheese and gravy their fucking heads would explode.

It ain't rocket surgery, bro.
  • Options
    AND...as others have pointed out, he didn't paint it on the 11th. It was done on the 15th. Unless he's celebrating the album release date which, in that case, it makes no sense to say New York City on it. Furthermore, his tweet says he painted this the night before the first Pearl Jam show in Brooklyn but there are actually three nights between the 15th and 18th (the night of the show). Dude's all over the place!

Good luck to those buying tomorrow on the 17th. And remember, if it's not up tomorrow, he might have meant the 19th...or the 27th. Dates shmates.
  • Options
    http://www.donpendleton.bigcartel.com/product/pearl-jam-pop-up-store-the-city-sleeps-print-edition-of-100

Pearl Jam Pop-Up store "The City Sleeps" print, edition of 100
    $80.00

This is a replica of the painting I did at the Volcom pop-up store the night before the first Brooklyn show (Nov. 11, 2013). It's a 6-color screen print on archival card stock paper, measures 20" x 24". (Sized for basic frames).

That original painting was auctioned off via the band's Vitalogy Foundation and all money was donated to the Alzheimer's Association.I will add to that by donating $2 from each print sold to the Alzheimer's Association.

It is print edition limited to 100, each signed and numbered in pencil and will be shipped rolled in a Yazoo heavy weight shipping tube.

NOTE: COLORS ARE MOST ACCURATE IN THE 2nd & 3rd details photos

Please only 1 purchase per customer. Additional orders will result in cancellation of your order so please adhere to the rule.

Shipping will be $7.50 for the continental US (Priority USPS mail with delivery confirmation).

Shipping to Canada will be $27.00 (international USPS priority with tracking/delivery conf.)

Everywhere else will be $34.00 USD for international priority shipping.

I apologize for the shipping rates in advance but it costs me about $37 to ship to some locations in Europe and AU can be as much as $42. This is the only trackable international shipping USPS offers with delivery confirmation below Priority Express.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,430
    Purely a money grab at this point.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    HA!

This is a replica of the painting I did at the Volcom pop-up store the night before the first Brooklyn show (Nov. 11, 2013).

CHRIST ALMIGHTY, GUY! THE SHOW WAS IN OCTOBER!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539

I really liked them both actually, individually. I would happily put either one on my wall. But I don't understand why they are both so similar. That was a stupid decision.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    october22 said:

HA!

This is a replica of the painting I did at the Volcom pop-up store the night before the first Brooklyn show (Nov. 11, 2013).

CHRIST ALMIGHTY, GUY! THE SHOW WAS IN OCTOBER!

demetrios said:

This print is a replica of the painting that I did the night before the first Brooklyn Pearl Jam show. It will be for sale on my site tomorrow, 20"x 24", 6-color screen print, edition of 100, each signed and numbered. $80. I will be donating $2 from each print to the Alzheimer's Association. www.elephont.com 4:00 PM EST

Yuck. I do not like that one at all! ... I assume he also did the album cover of Jeff's While My Heart Beats, lol. They are practically identical (but the album cover is way better because of the colours). This guy needs to use his imagination more!

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    80 godamn dollars for that trash? Jesus Christ!

That poster looks like a Nativity scene geared towards young children.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    It's a shame I can't buy two........... :^o
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • Options
    Final BowFinal Bow flying Posts: 486
    retropony said:

It's a shame I can't buy two........... :^o

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    Jun 05, 1992; Nov 04, 1996; Jun 09, 2000; Jun 26, 2000; Aug 29 2006, Sep 16, 2006; Sep 23, 2006; Sep 25, 2006; Sep 30, 2006; Jun 12, 2007; Jun 13, 2007; Jun 18, 2007; Jun 21, 2007; Jun 26, 2007; Jun 28, 2007; Jun 17, 2008; Jun 19, 2008; Jun 20; 2008; Jun 22, 2008; Jun 24, 2008; Jun 25, 2008; Aug 13, 2009; Aug 15; 2009; Aug 18, 2009; Oct 06, 2009; Oct 07, 2009; Oct 09, 2009; Jun 22; 2010; Jun 23, 2010; Jun 25, 2010; Jun 30, 2010; Sept 03, 2011; Sept 04, 2011; Sept 07, 2011; Sept 14, 2011; Sept 15, 2011; Jun 20 2012; Jun 21 2012; Jun 26 2012; Jun 27 2012; Jul 02 2012; Jul 04 2012; Jul 05 2012; Jul 07 2012; Jul 09 2012; Jul 10 2012; Oct 15 2013; Oct 16 2013; Oct 18 2013; Oct 19 2013; Oct 21 2013; Oct 22 2013; Jun 16 2014; Jun 17 2014; Jun 20 2014; Jun 22 2014; Jun 25 2014; Jun 26 2014; Jul 11 2014; Nov 14 2015; Nov 17 2015; Nov 20 2015; Nov 22 2015; Apr 16 2016; Apr 18 2016; Apr 20 2016; Apr 21 2016
  • Options
    Seriously though, am I the only one who finds it hilarious that this guy is completely incapable of getting a singe date right?

The day he said the show was is wrong.
    The day he said he painted it is wrong (twice!).
    The date on the fucking poster itself is wrong!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    october22 said:

Seriously though, am I the only one who finds it hilarious that this guy is completely incapable of getting a singe date right?

The day he said the show was is wrong.
    The day he said he painted it is wrong (twice!).
    The date on the fucking poster itself is wrong!

Lol, it's pretty fucked up! I'm assuming he's high. That, or he REEEAAAALLLLYYYY doesn't give a shit! image

But I was definitely most struck by the fact that he used Jeff's solo album cover for a PJ poster!
  • Options
    Hahaah, yes, that's a good call too. I don't have a problem with artists having a signature style or theme but it just doesn't work when you're commissioned for gig art. Especially when it seems so lazy. This dude's stuff is just WAY too similar. Jeff's album art and this poster are an excellent example. I'm not trying to bash his art too much (though I'm obviously not a fan), but I find it self-serving to make zero effort on a location-specific gig poster while promoting the same lame cartoons he draws everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Totally agree!
    He's actually got me thinking about making some art and selling it. I can totally produce something better than that stuff over and over again in various colour schemes. I don't mind criticizing his this style. It's completely uninspired IMO. i guess I would have better luck making money doing crap like that if I was friends with Jeff Ament. image
    But I do still like the original Brooklyn posters. Kind of retro.
  • Options
    Yeah, as a standalone peice, the Brooklyn posters aren't necessarily terrible. I'm saying they're ridiculous for a concert in Brooklyn! Does he think we live in the fucking woods? That's my problem with them. They're not outright ugly or anything, they're just lazy. If he wanted to be lazy about it, he could have at least produced something reminiscent of the album art. That might have been cool.
  • Options
    bchagnonbchagnon Posts: 164
    $80 each, $2 goes to charity, limited to 100. So he's generously offered to donate $200 to charity and pocket $7,800.

I've donated more than $200 out of my own pocket before to good causes (without making a profit in the process), and I'm assuming I make far less than this guy.

How gracious of you.

"Leave it to me as I find a way to be.
    Consider me a satellite forever orbiting.
    I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me.
    Guaranteed."
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

Totally agree!
    He's actually got me thinking about making some art and selling it. I can totally produce something better than that stuff over and over again in various colour schemes. I don't mind criticizing his this style. It's completely uninspired IMO. i guess I would have better luck making money doing crap like that if I was friends with Jeff Ament. image

october22 said:

Yeah, as a standalone peice, the Brooklyn posters aren't necessarily terrible. I'm saying they're ridiculous for a concert in Brooklyn! Does he think we live in the fucking woods? That's my problem with them. They're not outright ugly or anything, they're just lazy. If he wanted to be lazy about it, he could have at least produced something reminiscent of the album art. That might have been cool.

Okay, so there aren't tons of owls flying around Brooklyn?? Because I honestly thought that must be the case when I saw those posters! image
  • Options
    bchagnonbchagnon Posts: 164
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Totally agree!

october22 said:

Okay, so there aren't tons of owls flying around Brooklyn?? Because I honestly thought that must be the case when I saw those posters! image
    Who?

"Leave it to me as I find a way to be.
    Consider me a satellite forever orbiting.
    I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me.
    Guaranteed."
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    I bought both posters the night of the pop up shop; they haven't seen the light of day since. I ask myself why I wasted $70 on them all the time. I had just come from the NIN show at Barclays and was on a high, that quickly came crashing down though.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    I like this better than the show posters. Grabbed one.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale