Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Is a nice package huh?...
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354

By the way, can it also play MP3/WAV format? Or only FLAC in this new Pono-format?

Yes, you can and it will probably sound better on the PonoPlayer than you've ever heard it.

The PonoPlayer is designed to play PonoMusic with stunning clarity. However, the player can play almost any kind of music track including FLAC, ALAC, mp3, WAV, AIFF, AAC (unprotected).

What this really means is the PonoPlayer can play all your digital music, and all of it will sound great.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Travelar said:

By the way, can it also play MP3/WAV format? Or only FLAC in this new Pono-format?

Yes, you can and it will probably sound better on the PonoPlayer than you've ever heard it.

The PonoPlayer is designed to play PonoMusic with stunning clarity. However, the player can play almost any kind of music track including FLAC, ALAC, mp3, WAV, AIFF, AAC (unprotected).

What this really means is the PonoPlayer can play all your digital music, and all of it will sound great.

Should buy one... but man... it's just to much money for me. Even if it's future proof.

Guess I'll pick one up in a few years for a better price. even if it's not a PJ branded one.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    5K for dinner with Neil and 29 others makes me wish I was rich

Good on Neil for seeing his dream become reality. Now if he could only get Lincvolt happening he might just save the world

Question: Where's the Boss(Springsteen) on this? I'm surprised he's not on board but then again his Sirius station plays some really bad sounding live tracks...
  • RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    A bit too steep for me, but I did get the Neil Young signed concert poster for $100.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • arqarq Posts: 7,935
    edited March 2014

Question: Where's the Boss(Springsteen) on this? I'm surprised he's not on board but then again his Sirius station plays some really bad sounding live tracks...

He is on the video.
    Post edited by arq on
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    I predict a Starbucks style re-education of consumers
    People will be willing to pay for better music quality (not that Starbucks is good quality, but we're now willing to pay more)
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • I decided to bite on it. I couldn't help myself! How could I resist a PJ limited edition version?
  • PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    Goal reached.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    edited March 2014
    Incredible that they reached their goal in one day! Way to go, Neil Young and PJ fans!

Post edited by jlaustin on
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Still trying to decide whether to do it.............
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    Well Neil and Co can take my $400.
    I am still rocking the minidisc player though so I may not be a man of useful opinions.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

I am still rocking the minidisc player though so I may not be a man of useful opinions.

Never had a minidisc player. But did own one of these 8-track portable players.

So this is totally a step above then what I used to own! :p

• skubrick2899skubrick2899 Posts: 44
    edited March 2014
    morello said:

Still trying to decide whether to do it.............

I know what you mean. I kept going back and forth on whether it'd be worth it for me since I already own MP3 players. I guess the biggest selling point is knowing that all file types can be used so even if I start slow with building a hi res library I know I can still add lower quality files that I have. So I don't have to break the bank right away.
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Fuck.

I really want this. I remember seeing NY talk about it on Letterman and have been interested since. One problem is that I really should not be spending $300-$400 on anything right now, let alone something I really don't "need".

Also, I'm wresting with the whole "new format" thing. I love vinyl. That's where I spend my money on albums that I know are worth it. Am I now going to have decide between vinyl and Pono? Pono music looks to be very expensive (between 20-25 bucks an album). No way I'm spending $50 on average to have both the vinyl and digital format of a record. That leaves me in most cases to have to choose between the two and I just can't see myself abandoning physical for digital (no matter how good the digital may be).

Of course, I could take all my cd's and dump them on there, which would certainly be an improvement to the mp3 files I now have of them (though still lower quality than Pono versions) but I lost all my cd's in fucking Hurricane asshole Sandy. This can be solved by annoying the fuck out of my friends and going around to their houses to try to borrow cd's and reestablish my collection but it still doesn't solve the above problem of future buying.

Anyone else wrestling with this?
  • Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    demetrios said:

Never had a minidisc player. But did own one of these 8-track portable players.

So this is totally a step above then what I used to own! :p

Cool, something makes me feel Neil Young would approve of portable 8 tracks even in the age of Pono.
    Keep on Rocking Man.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    october22 said:

Fuck.

I really want this. I remember seeing NY talk about it on Letterman and have been interested since. One problem is that I really should not be spending $300-$400 on anything right now, let alone something I really don't "need".

Also, I'm wresting with the whole "new format" thing. I love vinyl. That's where I spend my money on albums that I know are worth it. Am I now going to have decide between vinyl and Pono? Pono music looks to be very expensive (between 20-25 bucks an album). No way I'm spending $50 on average to have both the vinyl and digital format of a record. That leaves me in most cases to have to choose between the two and I just can't see myself abandoning physical for digital (no matter how good the digital may be).

Of course, I could take all my cd's and dump them on there, which would certainly be an improvement to the mp3 files I now have of them (though still lower quality than Pono versions) but I lost all my cd's in fucking Hurricane asshole Sandy. This can be solved by annoying the fuck out of my friends and going around to their houses to try to borrow cd's and reestablish my collection but it still doesn't solve the above problem of future buying.

Yep! I would love to get one of these, but I know I don't really 'need' it. I love vinyl and will always prefer physical copies to digital music. My first choice would have been the Neil signature model but that's long gone. PJ would obviously have been my second choice but I just can't justify $400 right now no matter how cool it is.

I know I'll be kicking myself when they're all gone though...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited March 2014
    goldrush said:

october22 said:

Fuck.

Yep! I would love to get one of these, but I know I don't really 'need' it. I love vinyl and will always prefer physical copies to digital music. My first choice would have been the Neil signature model but that's long gone. PJ would obviously have been my second choice but I just can't justify $400 right now no matter how cool it is.

I know I'll be kicking myself when they're all gone though...
    I know...shit. And my bday and Christmas are pretty far off...As a true capitalist, I'd love to pass the costs on to someone else.

Post edited by october22 on
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Does anyone know how much storage capacity these have? My MP3 player has 16GB, but its been full for a long time.
    I think it comes with 60gb and another 60gb on a card. But it's actually infinite because you can swap cards.

Does anyone know how much storage capacity these have? My MP3 player has 16GB, but its been full for a long time.

The PonoPlayer ships with a total of 128GB. 64GB of memory is built into the player and another 64GB of memory on a removable microSD card. The expansion slot can accept microSD cards of up to 64GB each. Unlike many other portable music players, the microSD cards are designed to be easily swappable. For example, you can build a library of various playlists or genres on different cards and simply swap them in and out, much like you'd swap game cards on a portable gaming console. So in reality you have infinite capacity on the PonoPlayer.

How many songs can it hold? That depends on the quality of your music files:

• CD lossless quality recordings (44.1 kHz/16 bit): About 5000 tracks.
    • High-resolution recordings (48 kHz/24 bit): About 3200 tracks.
    • Higher-resolution recordings (96 kHz/24 bit): About 1600 tracks.
    • Ultra-high resolution recordings (192 kHz/24 bit): About 800 tracks.

This is a LOT of high-resolution music, and we say, “the more the better”. You’ll get hooked on how good this music sounds.

• MyluckyhandMyluckyhand Auckland New Zealand Posts: 103
    Done!!!
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    How can I trasnfer music from my own personal CDs to the Pono player? Is it possible?
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Travelar said:

The PonoPlayer ships with a total of 128GB. 64GB of memory is built into the player and another 64GB of memory on a removable microSD card. The expansion slot can accept microSD cards of up to 64GB each. Unlike many other portable music players, the microSD cards are designed to be easily swappable. For example, you can build a library of various playlists or genres on different cards and simply swap them in and out, much like you'd swap game cards on a portable gaming console. So in reality you have infinite capacity on the PonoPlayer.

How many songs can it hold? That depends on the quality of your music files:

• CD lossless quality recordings (44.1 kHz/16 bit): About 5000 tracks.
    • High-resolution recordings (48 kHz/24 bit): About 3200 tracks.
    • Higher-resolution recordings (96 kHz/24 bit): About 1600 tracks.
    • Ultra-high resolution recordings (192 kHz/24 bit): About 800 tracks.

This is a LOT of high-resolution music, and we say, “the more the better”. You’ll get hooked on how good this music sounds.

I am a little skeptical on this topic of storage with PONO. I watched the keynote from SXSW last night, with Neil and the CEO chap. The topic of storage came up, and the CEO said something like, "It has a 64GB built-in memory and comes with a 64GB card, we are waiting on a 128GB card." Not sure what this means. It may mean nothing. It may mean you have to buy proprietary memory sticks. Who knows. It think I will quote what Uncle Neil said a few times last night, "Even if we(PONO) fail, music still wins." I am with him there. I am all for higher quality music and competition in the digital music space. Peace.
    Air23 said:

How can I trasnfer music from my own personal CDs to the Pono player? Is it possible?

Rip to your favorite format and copy. It's got a USB connector, so it looks like you can just mount it as a drive and copy your music over.

I am a little skeptical on this topic of storage with PONO. I watched the keynote from SXSW last night, with Neil and the CEO chap. The topic of storage came up, and the CEO said something like, "It has a 64GB built-in memory and comes with a 64GB card, we are waiting on a 128GB card." Not sure what this means. It may mean nothing. It may mean you have to buy proprietary memory sticks. Who knows. It think I will quote what Uncle Neil said a few times last night, "Even if we(PONO) fail, music still wins." I am with him there. I am all for higher quality music and competition in the digital music space. Peace.

As far as I can tell, it uses standard microSD cards. Of course, until someone actually has one in their hands...

• RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560

Still rocking the minidisc too
    :-bd
  • RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    266 PJ left! Almost half gone...
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

Still rocking the minidisc too
    :-bd
    Mini Disc players are/were cool. It was the first truly digital pocket do all device. It was really handy for capturing live music. I also liked how you could move the tracks around on your mix.