Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    Have any of you good Pearl Jam Pono people checked out the community/forum thingy they have set up for us customers on their website?
    I had a little look and it seems quiet so far - but they have points!
    (It could be quiet as we are all busy Wall Street tycooning drug dealing [h/t to 2-feign-reluctance])
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141

Have any of you good Pearl Jam Pono people checked out the community/forum thingy they have set up for us customers on their website?
    I had a little look and it seems quiet so far - but they have points!
    (It could be quiet as we are all busy Wall Street tycooning drug dealing [h/t to 2-feign-reluctance])

Welcome to the forums! B-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,185

How do a few of you drop $800 just like that? Are you wealthy? Living beyond your means? Racking up credit card debt? Wall Street tycoons? Selling drugs in your spare time?

I def racked up some cc debt to get the PJ Pono. It was a impulse decision as I kept seeing the number of those bad boys steadily drop toward zero available.

I justify it as I am a big fan of high end audio and I don't currently and have never owned an Ipod as it doesn't interest me to listen to compressed files.

I just have to convince myself to use it and not treat it like some collectible.

I will prob just use it with my home stereo for now.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    My comment was one part jest, 2 parts envy and 3 parts glad I manage my finances like I do. $-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Maybe I will pick up a PONO player down the road. For now I am saving for a SONOS surround sound system and a new TV because I have been using a 32" 720P since 2006.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    I just want to know how good these things are going to sound!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

My comment was one part jest, 2 parts envy and 3 parts glad I manage my finances like I do. $-)

dig it.
    I definitely have cut down on the number of shows that I can afford to attend to 1 per tour now.
    and I steadfastly refuse to pay what people are asking for Avocado vinyl on the secondary market.
    It is the only one I am missing and will probably be that way for a while....
    unless someone wants to help your PJ-loving brother out and offer me a good price....
    (there goes that buying impulse again)

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    In an interesting twist to the Crowdfunder campaign, its closing date has been pushed back a month and is now listed as 9/30/14 despite having already netted 181% of its initial goal.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Can anyone recommend a good headset for listening to the pono? Too lazy to go back and read earlier posts that might have any recommendation.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I personally use Sennheiser headphones.
    they are pretty great IMO
    but they are more of a studio type.
    not sure about a more portable option.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    I am thrilled Vs. is one of the choices: their favourite album of mine.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,122
    w

me too, so we are getting the expanded version? is this right?

13. Hold On (Bonus Track)
    14. Cready Stomp (Bonus Track)
    15. Crazy Mary (Bonus Track)

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I bought one. I'm broke.
    jjflash said:

In an interesting twist to the Crowdfunder campaign, its closing date has been pushed back a month and is now listed as 9/30/14 despite having already netted 181% of its initial goal.

Dude, I just checked that out. Wow...

"Pono Music publicly opened the funding round on August 1st. The initial raise was targeted at $2.5 million but that number was crushed and the funding took just 7 days to raise $6 million."

Still no telling where this will go but after the record-breaking kickstarter campaign followed but this equity crowdfunding success, they're definitely doing something right. Getting harder for people to claim there's little demand for higher quality music being made available.
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:

w

me too, so we are getting the expanded version? is this right?

13. Hold On (Bonus Track)
    14. Cready Stomp (Bonus Track)
    15. Crazy Mary (Bonus Track)

It says expanded edition but doesn't give the track list. I'm assuming it's exactly the same as the one they put out a few years ago.
  • Options
    I'm curious to know where people got the album information from?

Which two albums are going to be on the Dave Matthews pono?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,102
    edited September 2014
    october22 said:

"Pono Music publicly opened the funding round on August 1st. The initial raise was targeted at $2.5 million but that number was crushed and the funding took just 7 days to raise $6 million."

Still no telling where this will go but after the record-breaking kickstarter campaign followed but this equity crowdfunding success, they're definitely doing something right. Getting harder for people to claim there's little demand for higher quality music being made available.

Sort of. 6 million's a lot, but it's still not that much. When you look at how popular the iphone was (before smartphones took off) which made hundreds of millions of dollars (maybe billions?).

You've got over 10 million between kickstarter and crowd fund, but out of that, you've got all the R&D costs, plus the costs to develop all the units from the kickstarter campaign.

My gut instinct is PONO will be a niche product like other higher end standalone music players. It will appeal to a small percentage of the population that wants higher quality sounding music so bad they don't mind having a second device in their pocket. I don't think it'll appeal to the masses who are content using their smartphones, but I do think that even if .001% of the population is interested, you can definitely make a go of it. It's not going to make money hand over fist like the big smartphone companies, but there's no reason it can't do alright. They just have to know their market, keep costs down, quality up, and deliver a solid product.

edit: As a person who went out of their way for a higher end player (Cowon S9) I do regret no preordering a Pono on the kickstarter campaign.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited September 2014
    Not sure I regret not getting one... i suspect that if I feel any regret it's the wrong kind, I.e. wish I'd bought a PJ one because it'll be worth $1000+ almost immediately.
    But I'm sure I'll buy one someday..... when the price drops by half or when they come out with a second generation.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 694

They're posted in the Pono Community forums. Each LE Pono has its own group that lists the albums that will be included. For Dave Matthews Band it's:

Crash - 44 kHz/16-bit

Under the Table and Dreaming - 44.1 kHz/16-bit
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options

They're posted in the Pono Community forums. Each LE Pono has its own group that lists the albums that will be included. For Dave Matthews Band it's:

Crash - 44 kHz/16-bit

Wow....CD quality. Talk about not making use of the technology.
    Any word on the two albums for My Morning Jacket?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248

How do a few of you drop $800 just like that? Are you wealthy? Living beyond your means? Racking up credit card debt? Wall Street tycoons? Selling drugs in your spare time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GklspAK0w
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Crash - 44 kHz/16-bit

yeah...I don't really get that either...
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,102
    A good player makes cd quality sound really good. IE a high quality player is worth it even if you only ever intend to use cd quality flac.

That being said you would think they'd use HD quality Flac just to show what the device can really do :)
  • Options
    Zod said:

A good player makes cd quality sound really good. IE a high quality player is worth it even if you only ever intend to use cd quality flac.

That being said you would think they'd use HD quality Flac just to show what the device can really do :)

Exactly. Does anyone know why they wouldn't release a higher quality version? Why do you think they made the decision to do 44/16?
  • Options

Crash - 44 kHz/16-bit

Thanks for this info!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,725

Crash - 44 kHz/16-bit

https://ponomusic.force.com/_ui/core/chatter/groups/GroupProfilePage?g=0F9A00000004qhw

Not sure why they went with these recordings. But if this is true about those 2 sources ..

Andrew Donald (Member)
    If the resolution of the master tapes for a particular album is 16bit/44.1kHz (1411kbps), for example, then that is what will ultimately be submitted by the studio to Omnifone, for Pono.

• Options
    demetrios said:

Crash - 44 kHz/16-bit

https://ponomusic.force.com/_ui/core/chatter/groups/GroupProfilePage?g=0F9A00000004qhw

Not sure why they went with these recordings. But if this is true about those 2 sources ..

Andrew Donald (Member)
    If the resolution of the master tapes for a particular album is 16bit/44.1kHz (1411kbps), for example, then that is what will ultimately be submitted by the studio to Omnifone, for Pono.

And that's the ultimate issue. The artists master for the format that is popular at the time. Hell, they're even mastering for iTunes these days! (which disturbs me to no end)

So, everything that was mastered for vinyl (before the mid-80s) will see the benefit of higher resolutions. I doubt we'll see many bands from the mid-80s to now (like DMB) take the time to remaster their old albums.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,725
    Project Update #43: Corrections to a recent article on Pono
    Posted by the PonoMusic Team Black

Hi all,

An article recently came out with unfounded claims suggesting PonoPlayers pre-ordered though Kickstarter would not ship until 2015.

Our team wants to reiterate our commitment to all of you: Delivery of the PonoPlayer still stands as originally expected—October 2014 or December 2014 depending on your specific player.

We’ve been working extensively to stick to the timeframe we promised all of you backers and have dedicated ourselves to following through. In addition to shipment of the player this fall, we will launch our music library in October with about 2.5M tracks.

New pre-orders, now being taken through our online store, will be sent in 2015.

We hope this clears up any confusion! If not, please send over any questions or concerns to support@ponomusic.com.

Our very best,

Team Pono

http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/08/30/neil-youngs-super-mp3-player-pono-wont-be-coming-in-2014
  • Options

demetrios said:

Crash - 44 kHz/16-bit

Andrew Donald (Member)

And that's the ultimate issue. The artists master for the format that is popular at the time. Hell, they're even mastering for iTunes these days! (which disturbs me to no end)

So, everything that was mastered for vinyl (before the mid-80s) will see the benefit of higher resolutions. I doubt we'll see many bands from the mid-80s to now (like DMB) take the time to remaster their old albums.
    This is true, however, if Pono's claims are true, even cd quality should sound better than it would on many stereos and especially other portable devices because of the dac they're using. I'm not necessarily making that claim but I believe they have.
  • Options
    Also, I read that article they're referring to in the email they sent today. The dude is a complete moron. He literally got every fact wrong.
  • Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 694

Crash - 44 kHz/16-bit

Haven't seen anything listed yet for My Morning Jacket.
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014