Malaysia Airlines loses contact with passenger jet

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    JimmyV said:

Well, right now we don't know for certain what has happened. That much is for certain.

What do I think happened? I think the plane crashed into one of the most remote bodies of water on Earth and has been there the whole time, waiting to be found. I'm not sure, even now, that the correct search zone has been properly identified.

As for whodunit, we don't know that anyone done anything. Yet.

Is it possible that one or both of the pilots conspired to abscond with or crash this plane. Yes.

Is it possible that some "random Arab" (your words) did the same? Yes.

Is it possible that the plane was whisked off to Diego Garcia for some nefarious reason and the passengers resettled alongside those from the 9/11 Pentagon plane? Yes.

Is it possible that the plane suffered massive, catastrophic system failure and crashed into the ocean without any suicidal tendencies, terrorist involvement, or covert operations? Yes.

I just look at that list of scenarios and the one that makes the most sense given the information we have is the last one. Hope that answers your question.

Good answer. I feel the exact same way.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i would say the last scenario is the most unlikely ...

for one - it doesn't explain why the radar was deliberately turned off nor does it explain why the plain diverted route nor does it explain why no may day was sent nor does it explain why no signal was sent when it crashed as some of the equipment is supposed to do ... nor does it explain why there has been absolutely zero sighting of debris despite arguably the biggest search for debris in the history of searches ...
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    polaris_x said:

for one - it doesn't explain why the radar was deliberately turned off nor does it explain why the plain diverted route nor does it explain why no may day was sent nor does it explain why no signal was sent when it crashed as some of the equipment is supposed to do ... nor does it explain why there has been absolutely zero sighting of debris despite arguably the biggest search for debris in the history of searches ...

We talked about this earlier in the thread - we don't know that the radar was deliberately turned off. That is a working assumption, not a fact.

Massive system failure would indeed explain why equipment designed to send signals did not send signals.

Since we don't know where the plane went down it is not that strange that debris has not been found. As I said, it is quite possible that the correct search zone has not yet been identified.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

We talked about this earlier in the thread - we don't know that the radar was deliberately turned off. That is a working assumption, not a fact.

Massive system failure would indeed explain why equipment designed to send signals did not send signals.

Since we don't know where the plane went down it is not that strange that debris has not been found. As I said, it is quite possible that the correct search zone has not yet been identified.

that is what has been widely reported ... the fact that it happened as the plane was in between two different countries' air space is too much of a coincidence ... are we then assuming that the fact the plane was flying for 5+ hrs after is also not a fact and only an assumption? ... if so - why would a plane without a functioning radar deliberately be flying away from its destination and into the indian ocean?
    Again, since we don't know what happened, I am not prepared to label anything as being too much of a coincidence. Nor am I willing to pretend hypotheses and assumptions are facts.

The plane could have been on autopilot with both crew and passengers incapacitated for all of that flight time. Or it could have been seized by terrorists. Or it could have been in the midst of a suicide attempt by one or both of the pilots. My point throughout this entire thread has been that we do not know what happened.

JimmyV said:

Again, since we don't know what happened, I am not prepared to label anything as being too much of a coincidence. Nor am I willing to pretend hypotheses and assumptions are facts.

The plane could have been on autopilot with both crew and passengers incapacitated for all of that flight time. Or it could have been seized by terrorists. Or it could have been in the midst of a suicide attempt by one or both of the pilots. My point throughout this entire thread has been that we do not know what happened.

i'm pretty sure we all understand your position ... i'm just indicating why I think your most likely scenario is the least likely ...
  • JimmyV said:

Well, right now we don't know for certain what has happened. That much is for certain.

What do I think happened? I think the plane crashed into one of the most remote bodies of water on Earth and has been there the whole time, waiting to be found. I'm not sure, even now, that the correct search zone has been properly identified.

Is it possible that one or both of the pilots conspired to abscond with or crash this plane. Yes.

Is it possible that the plane was whisked off to Diego Garcia for some nefarious reason and the passengers resettled alongside those from the 9/11 Pentagon plane? Yes.

Is it possible that the plane suffered massive, catastrophic system failure and crashed into the ocean without any suicidal tendencies, terrorist involvement, or covert operations? Yes.

I just look at that list of scenarios and the one that makes the most sense given the information we have is the last one. Hope that answers your question.

Yes it does. I want you to know that I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, I just know that you are not big on the con-spir-acy efforts put forth and just wanted to know what you thought about this, very weird situation.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

JimmyV said:

Yes it does. I want you to know that I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, I just know that you are not big on the con-spir-acy efforts put forth and just wanted to know what you thought about this, very weird situation.
    No worries, I understand and did not take your question as you trying to be an ass. I do hope they find the plane soon and we start to get some answers.

Satellite data to be released for independent analysis. Hopefully this will provide the break that leads to this plane being found.

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    Awesomness. Thanks for the update JV.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    the longer this plane is missing the more outlandish the theories will get......

Godfather.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

the longer this plane is missing the more outlandish the theories will get......

Godfather.

you are so wise.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I thought they already knew that by now, since it wouldn't be even remotely possible that the shitty batteries they use for the black box to still be working....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

I thought they already knew that by now, since it wouldn't be even remotely possible that the shitty batteries they use for the black box to still be working....

I thought the pings were from something other than the black box....whatever. either way, this is fucking ridiculous.

this plane is on mars.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    edited May 2014
    polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

that is what has been widely reported ... the fact that it happened as the plane was in between two different countries' air space is too much of a coincidence ... are we then assuming that the fact the plane was flying for 5+ hrs after is also not a fact and only an assumption? ... if so - why would a plane without a functioning radar deliberately be flying away from its destination and into the indian ocean?
    Same scenario as when Payne Stewart died....there could have been some kind of massive equipment failure, fire, etc., loss of cabin pressure, all on board die due to hypoxia and the plane crashes when it runs out of fuel.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • BUMPED, for the people who need and want answers. Can fool them with 911 and have them believe the what they were told. Not this time around.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

She is just now realizing she "was in the right place at the right time" and that the fireball she saw in the sky might be relevant? OK lady.

http://news.yahoo.com/australia-probes-possible-mh370-witness-account-072907348.html

Anyone know what happened to the guy who claimed to see the burning plane from the oil rig? Was he determined to be credible or not?

• Still looking? Keep us informed. Don't want this topic or the hope of the familes to drop off of the radar.

I haven't heard anything...still no news ? I find it hard to beleive that this plane and passengers have not been found.

Godfather.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    This is the latest.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/missing-flight-mh370-was-autopilot-crashing-official-n141331

Woo fucking hoo.

Coming on four months now and can't imagine how the families are doing.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    ^^^ I can only imagine the plane would be left on auto pilot if everyone was unconscious. What would cause that? Carbon monoxide? Some other gas in the ventilating system?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Apparently it's not that important:

"Truss said officials have not attempted to fix a moment when the plane was put on autopilot."

PUT ON autopilot. Does that happen manually or by a certain default?

Actually, in re-reading the article, I think it (or whomever "wrote" it) is full of shit. I mean, who the fuck is this Truss person?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    brianlux said:

^^^ I can only imagine the plane would be left on auto pilot if everyone was unconscious. What would cause that? Carbon monoxide? Some other gas in the ventilating system?

Cabin pressure loss. You only have a few seconds to get an oxygen mask on before you pass out. The golfer Payne Stewart was on a private plane when they lost oxygen pressure was lost and everyone passed out. It continued on for several hours before running out of fuel and crashing. A fighter jet was shadowing it in case it appeared to be headed for a populated area.

Egypt Air plane missing over the Mediterranean Sea with 66 aboard ...

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/live-latest-updates-on-missing-egyptair-flight-064405228.html
    The plane was traveling at 519 mph, and the director of Greece's Civil Aviation Authority, Konstantinos Lintzerakos, said air traffic controllers were in contact with the pilot as the plane passed through Greek airspace and that the pilot did not report any problems, the AP reports.

While they were in contact with the pilot, Greece's civil aviation department said the he was "in good spirits and thanked the controller in Greek," after he was cleared to exit the Greek airspace, according to Reuters.

Controllers then tried to make contact with the pilot 10 miles before the flight exited the Greek Flight Information Range, but the pilot did not respond. Controllers continued trying to contact the pilot until the plane disappeared from the radar, Lintzerakos told the AP.

Ehab Mohy el-Deen, the head of Egypt's air navigation authority, was quoted in The New York Times as saying that Greek air traffic controllers had told their Egyptian counterparts they had lost contact with the plane. He said: "They did not radio for help or lose altitude. They just vanished."

businessinsider.com/an-egyptair-flight-from-paris-to-cairo-has-gone-missing-2016-5
    they found it
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Now they say they haven't found it. I think they should find it within a week considering the roughly know where it was when it vanished, unlike the Malaysian flight.
    soooo now they're saying that looking at body parts and what little wreckage has been found that an explosion is likely........jeepers, let me guess, as if that wasn't most peoples first thought anyway.

Godfather