• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

i bet one could make a battery source out of,,, let's say copper & saltwater
    just sayin

I'm sure there are all kinds of good ways to get something to ping for longer than a month. We've got satellites circling the Earth and a rover on Mars for god's sake.

I believe satellites, the rover and such rely on solar power. I'll bet this incident instigates some advancements on black box technology and battery technology. In fact, that may be the reason for this incident- battery companies lobbying for more battery research. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it!

Lol, no, that's not what I meant (yes, they use solar power). I meant that if we can do those things, I'm sure we have the technology to get a battery going to keep something pinging for a while already. I'm thinking they just cheaped out.
    Yeah, I see what you mean. Kind of one of those "If they can put a man on the moon why can't they..." sort of things. LOL!

Completely off topic but I`m sure the latest mars rover uses Nuclear power.

Here it is, pretty cool stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_(rover)#Specifications
    please stay on topic, as per posting guidelines.

thank you.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887

i just heard a ping

JimmyV said:

The likeliest solution has always been that this plane is at the bottom of the ocean. The ocean is both vast and deep

the ocean is not as deep as people think.
    As deep as Mt. Everest is high...

Even if not technically true, half that depth would make finding a single plane in the middle of nowhere without a definitive location very difficult.

I remain much more interested in what brought the plane down than I am in where the wreckage is. But for the families' sake I do hope it is found soon.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

When we don't know what happened on the plane it is a huge assumption to say things were deliberately turned off.

It is what the media has consistently reported, and the assumption that the authorities are working under.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/12/mh370-co-pilot-phonecall-malaysia
    Investigators indicated last month that the flight was deliberately diverted and its communication systems manually switched off as it was leaving Malaysian airspace, triggering a criminal investigation by police that has revealed little of substance so far.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

i just heard a ping

JimmyV said:

The likeliest solution has always been that this plane is at the bottom of the ocean. The ocean is both vast and deep

Even if not technically true, half that depth would make finding a single plane in the middle of nowhere without a definitive location very difficult.
    it's a few hundred feet at the most.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

JimmyV said:

When we don't know what happened on the plane it is a huge assumption to say things were deliberately turned off.

It is what the media has consistently reported, and the assumption that the authorities are working under.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/12/mh370-co-pilot-phonecall-malaysia
    Investigators indicated last month that the flight was deliberately diverted and its communication systems manually switched off as it was leaving Malaysian airspace, triggering a criminal investigation by police that has revealed little of substance so far.
    See, that is exactly my point. It is an assumption the authorities are working under. The media can report it as a fact but that does not make it so.

Again, I'm not saying they weren't intentionally turned off. We just don't that for sure.

• Options

JimmyV said:

i just heard a ping

JimmyV said:

A few hundred feet of dark, murky ocean water covering a huge and ever-changing search area.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

i just heard a ping

JimmyV said:

A few hundred feet of dark, murky ocean water covering a huge and ever-changing search area.

Are we talking about Lake Erie?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

i just heard a ping

JimmyV said:

on a clear day you can see the bottom.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004

JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

i just heard a ping

JimmyV said:

on a clear day you can see the bottom.
    =))
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    dignin said:

polaris_x said:

according to engineers ... all these systems have failsafes ... backups to the backups ... the only thing it doesn't account for is for someone turning off the system ...

the authorities have pretty much conceded this point

So if you believe these engineers why don't you believe the engineers and mathematicians that say it most likely crashed where they are looking for the plane now?
    no ... most engineers don't know what happened to the plane ... where is there a consensus on that ... this is only what the malaysian gov't is saying ...
  • Options
    now that the pings have stopped ... i think the plane is at DG ... i'm not saying this is a fact ... just based on all the information i've read - this is the most logical to me ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

now that the pings have stopped ... i think the plane is at DG ... i'm not saying this is a fact ... just based on all the information i've read - this is the most logical to me ...

Yeah. Although I will throw this one out there too ... if you put any faith in the supposed "ping arcs" released to the public ... go look at the northern half of the arcs ... the last full ping (the very last ping at 8-ish was only a "partial ping" whatever the fuck that means) puts the plane right dead smack past Iran near the Afghanistan \ Pakistan border.

The partial ping places it near Uzbek \ Khazakistan

Just saying.

I find that to be a bit co-inky-dental too.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    polaris_x said:

dignin said:

polaris_x said:

according to engineers ... all these systems have failsafes ... backups to the backups ... the only thing it doesn't account for is for someone turning off the system ...

So if you believe these engineers why don't you believe the engineers and mathematicians that say it most likely crashed where they are looking for the plane now?
    no ... most engineers don't know what happened to the plane ... where is there a consensus on that ... this is only what the malaysian gov't is saying ...
    http://www.wired.com/2014/03/mh370-doppler-rescue/
  • Options
    dignin said:

polaris_x said:

dignin said:

polaris_x said:

they are also saying the plane could be in pakistan ... hardly a consensus ... and really - it's based on information released by a private company ... the missing piece in all of this is motive ...

what would possess someone to deliberately turn off communications; try and skirt radar and fly the plane a bunch of hours to crash it into the southern indian ocean? why would the pilot have DG put into his simulator?

• Options

polaris_x said:

Yeah. Although I will throw this one out there too ... if you put any faith in the supposed "ping arcs" released to the public ... go look at the northern half of the arcs ... the last full ping (the very last ping at 8-ish was only a "partial ping" whatever the fuck that means) puts the plane right dead smack past Iran near the Afghanistan \ Pakistan border.

The partial ping places it near Uzbek \ Khazakistan

Just saying.

I find that to be a bit co-inky-dental too.

here's the thing ... if the plane was indeed stolen/hijacked by a nefarious organization ... we would be told that and they would have sent the troops in to get it ... the only entity that could divert the plane and have it essentially disappear are the gov'ts of the US and Britain ... only those people ...

i find it much easier to come up with a motive for the plane's disappearance related to DG then figuring out why the heck someone or some people would do all they did only to crash the plane and manage to do so without leaving ANY debris and having the black box be nowhere to be found for this long ...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    polaris_x said:

dignin said:

polaris_x said:

dignin said:

polaris_x said:

they are also saying the plane could be in pakistan ... hardly a consensus ... and really - it's based on information released by a private company ... the missing piece in all of this is motive ...

what would possess someone to deliberately turn off communications; try and skirt radar and fly the plane a bunch of hours to crash it into the southern indian ocean? why would the pilot have DG put into his simulator?

Could be in Pakistan I guess. But apparently the searchers figured it was more probable that the plane went the other way. My guess would be that they would have evidence of it flying over those countries, given all the military presence and tech around those areas. I can only trust they know what they are doing.

As far as not hearing any more pings from the black box and voice recorder for six days, couldn't we surmise that this is more evidence that they were there? The pings stopped right around when they figured they would stop due to battery life. If they haven't heard anything more now it makes it easier to rule out the sounds being from an animal or other boat or what not. Seems like they are on the right track.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    By "DG" do you mean Diego Garcia and if so, how does that relate to no more pings. You guys lost me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I think it is highly unlikely that the plane could get to Pakistan undetected. It would have to fly around India far enough out to skirt their radar and then somehow avoid dectection in the Arabian sea which I would expect is covered well on radar do to US military presense.

• Options
    dignin said:

Could be in Pakistan I guess. But apparently the searchers figured it was more probable that the plane went the other way. My guess would be that they would have evidence of it flying over those countries, given all the military presence and tech around those areas. I can only trust they know what they are doing.

As far as not hearing any more pings from the black box and voice recorder for six days, couldn't we surmise that this is more evidence that they were there? The pings stopped right around when they figured they would stop due to battery life. If they haven't heard anything more now it makes it easier to rule out the sounds being from an animal or other boat or what not. Seems like they are on the right track.

if we look at what the supposed facts/evidence critically ... it just doesn't add up to the plane being where they say it is ... it's just easier for me to come up with a motive that has the plane somewhere then believing right now that the pilots did all they did only to crash a plane in the southern indian ocean and did it without leaving any debris ...
  • Options
    brianlux said:

By "DG" do you mean Diego Garcia and if so, how does that relate to no more pings. You guys lost me.

Yes ... DG = Diego Garcia

as it relates to the pings - it is why i mentioned the weapons caches in iraq ... we now know that the US knew there weren't any weapons caches so, the media reporting the possible finding of weapons appears to be a red herring to distract the public ... if indeed the plane is in DG - it wouldn't surprise me that they would do the same thing here ...
  • Options
    DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
    edited April 2014
    boom
    Post edited by DriftingByTheStorm on
  • Options

boom

?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    and just like that ... it's pretty much forgotten ...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I read today that the have scanned 2/3 of the search area but I doubt they will find anything. I figure it would be hard to find a similar sized boat that sunk in that area, much less something that broke into pieces upon impact.

This will go down as one of the all-time unsolved mysteries.
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    polaris_x said:

What is?
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,234
    polaris_x said:

Funny what a Ferry sinking in Korea can do......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524

polaris_x said:

How has it been forgotten??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,234
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

Last informative post here a week ago. Most new sources have shuffled it way down on their coverage lists.....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

Last informative post here a week ago. Most new sources have shuffled it way down on their coverage lists.....
    I think we've just run out of things to say. Waiting game now. Same with news outlets. Can't expect them to have blanket coverage when nothing is changing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul is right. There has been very little new to talk about. Better the thread goes quiet for a week than we fill it with crazy theories and even crazier arguments about those theories.