Options

Malaysia Airlines loses contact with passenger jet

Comments

• Options
    HarpsyHarpsy Posts: 83
    They're still confident the other 4 signals are related to an aircraft flight recorder, just not the one discovered yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26984162
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    another thing tho is that if the plane did land at D-G ... the only way we will find out is if someone leaks it ...

they seem confident that they have found the black box now ... we shall see ...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
  • Options
    DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
    edited April 2014
    Jason P said:

lol.
    requesting permission to buzz the tower, sir.

doh. NM. got mixed up. This is red october, not top gun.
    lol.

she's gone silent, sir.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    I think the real question is why in the fuck the pinger on black boxes doesn't stay on longer. :-??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I think the real question is why in the fuck the pinger on black boxes doesn't stay on longer. :-??

obviously this plane's disappearance is not normal ... but i think it also goes to show that something like this was never foreseeable ... most planes that go down are found well within the 30 day time frame ... when you factor in all the resources, technology and stuff that has been used to try and find this plane ... you gotta believe that if it indeed crashed - the pilots figured out the absolutely most perfect place to crash it so that it would be hard to find; that they by chance put it in a place that has been difficult to find or that maybe it hasn't crashed ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

obviously this plane's disappearance is not normal ... but i think it also goes to show that something like this was never foreseeable ... most planes that go down are found well within the 30 day time frame ... when you factor in all the resources, technology and stuff that has been used to try and find this plane ... you gotta believe that if it indeed crashed - the pilots figured out the absolutely most perfect place to crash it so that it would be hard to find; that they by chance put it in a place that has been difficult to find or that maybe it hasn't crashed ...
    I personally don't think that where it crashed was done deliberately so that it would specifically hard to find.
    My theory is: Something crazy happened, like an insane hijacker(s) forced the pilots to change direction, things got fucked up somehow (or the hijacker(s) were simply nuts or demented, or the pilot went completely nuts), and the plane was either crashed deliberately by the pilots or ran out of fuel, and it went down in the Indian Ocean.

No, of course it's not normal to not know about where a plane went down. But I would have thought that since the possibility of a plane going down in the deepest parts of the ocean would be reason enough to make a black box pinger last for months, not weeks. Even if they do know about where a plane goes down, the black box could be anywhere in a huge area of debris either in water or on lond, especially if the plane explodes at 35.000 or something, or it ends up in the ocean in storm conditions with a strong current. I can think of all kinds of reasons why it would take a long time to find a black box after an air disaster. I just would have thought that they'd have the foresight to make the damn battery last longer even if they never thought they'd lose contact with a plane hours before it disappeared.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

I personally don't think that where it crashed was done deliberately so that it would specifically hard to find.
    My theory is: Something crazy happened, like an insane hijacker(s) forced the pilots to change direction, things got fucked up somehow (or the hijacker(s) were simply nuts or demented, or the pilot went completely nuts), and the plane was either crashed deliberately by the pilots or ran out of fuel, and it went down in the Indian Ocean.

No, of course it's not normal to not know about where a plane went down. But I would have thought that since the possibility of a plane going down in the deepest parts of the ocean would be reason enough to make a black box pinger last for months, not weeks. Even if they do know about where a plane goes down, the black box could be anywhere in a huge area of debris either in water or on lond, especially if the plane explodes at 35.000 or something, or it ends up in the ocean in storm conditions with a strong current. I can think of all kinds of reasons why it would take a long time to find a black box after an air disaster. I just would have thought that they'd have the foresight to make the damn battery last longer even if they never thought they'd lose contact with a plane hours before it disappeared.
    you have to factor in these facts ...

* compare the search areas that have been targeted ... from the initial spot to where they are looking now and where they have looked before ... it's crazy ...
    * the reason is because the communications devices were all turned off deliberately ...
    * the pilots actively worked to avoid radar

this sort of stuff is unprecedented in terms of commercial planes ... if you take all the known possible occurrences of a plane - the likelihood of not finding any debris and thus the black box is not very high at all ... so, the makers are obviously going to look to extend the battery life now but up until now ... the points above were never considered to be part of the equation ...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

you have to factor in these facts ...

* compare the search areas that have been targeted ... from the initial spot to where they are looking now and where they have looked before ... it's crazy ...
    * the reason is because the communications devices were all turned off deliberately ...
    * the pilots actively worked to avoid radar

this sort of stuff is unprecedented in terms of commercial planes ... if you take all the known possible occurrences of a plane - the likelihood of not finding any debris and thus the black box is not very high at all ... so, the makers are obviously going to look to extend the battery life now but up until now ... the points above were never considered to be part of the equation ...
    I'm not even thinking about this particular crash though. It doesn't make sense to me that they didn't do it before, for the reasons I already mentioned. I can think of plenty of situations where the pinger might have to last a long time.... Which means that the people coming up with this stuff don't have as much foresight as they really, really should. Seriously, there had to be a conversation at some point about the battery life on it. And the conversation must have been something like:

"How long should the battery last?"

"I dunno. We usually find the black box fast, soooo... how about 3 - 6 weeks?"

"Should we maybe make it last longer just in case there is trouble finding the black box deep in the ocean or in a debris field over treacherous terrain during consistently bad weather, or maybe in case of some kind of weird terrorist hijacking? Really, it will only cost $50 more to make it last for months."

"Naaaaaaahhhhhhh."

• Options
    Up until this crash ... the longest time it took for debris to be found was 10 days ... you could speculate in ways that might be longer but it's simply hasn't happened before and i am guessing that whatever theories you suggest - you're delaying it by another 3-5 days at most ... still puts us in the 15 day range ...

factor in all the new technology now ... it's not unreasonable to have the batter only last 30 days up until this point ...
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    When we don't know what happened on the plane it is a huge assumption to say things were deliberately turned off. Maybe they were, but we in no way know that. Any electrical or mechanical system can fail or malfunction. That a system needed to be manually turned off to turn off is true only if that system is working correctly. Huge assumption to say those systems were working correctly and did not fail on their own.

The pilots or a hijacker very well could have turned those systems off, or they could have failed on their own. We don't know for sure either way.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    according to engineers ... all these systems have failsafes ... backups to the backups ... the only thing it doesn't account for is for someone turning off the system ...

the authorities have pretty much conceded this point
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

Up until this crash ... the longest time it took for debris to be found was 10 days ... you could speculate in ways that might be longer but it's simply hasn't happened before and i am guessing that whatever theories you suggest - you're delaying it by another 3-5 days at most ... still puts us in the 15 day range ...

factor in all the new technology now ... it's not unreasonable to have the batter only last 30 days up until this point ...

I disagree that it's a reasonable decision. I just don't think that way, and neither should they. When it comes to shit like this, they should absolutely NOT be thinking about what has already happened in the past. They should be thinking of absolute worst case scenarios. I am having no trouble at all thinking of them, so they shouldn't either. Well.... lesson learned on their part I guess, but the point I'm making is that they shouldn't have had to have learned that particular lesson first.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

I disagree that it's a reasonable decision. I just don't think that way, and neither should they. When it comes to shit like this, they should absolutely NOT be thinking about what has already happened in the past. They should be thinking of absolute worst case scenarios. I am having no trouble at all thinking of them, so they shouldn't either. Well.... lesson learned on their part I guess, but the point I'm making is that they shouldn't have had to have learned that particular lesson first.
    sooo ... you as a civilian think that you have way more foresight than all the plane engineers around the world ... because your knowledge of aircrafts and the physics associated with it give you full understanding of all the possibilities that they couldn't think of? ...

i'm sorry - if we are to allow ALL the possibilities that one can dream of ... we shouldn't even be flying ...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Did Apple make the black box battery? That would explain its short lifespan.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

sooo ... you as a civilian think that you have way more foresight than all the plane engineers around the world ... because your knowledge of aircrafts and the physics associated with it give you full understanding of all the possibilities that they couldn't think of? ...

i'm sorry - if we are to allow ALL the possibilities that one can dream of ... we shouldn't even be flying ...
    What has knowledge of aircrafts and physics got to do with knowing that long battery life is better than short battery life??? I'm not talking about allowing all possibilities that one can dream of specifically. I'm just talking about making a battery last as long as possible..... You know, sometimes the people in charge of this shit do make mistakes. I'm saying that they did with the black box battery life, and that I can guarantee that if I'd had a say in battery life in a black box, I would have necessarily said "make it last as long as possible". I have trouble understanding why EVERYONE wouldn't say the same thing, because it's so simple to do.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Jason P said:

Did Apple make the black box battery? That would explain its short lifespan.

http://www.hiyoooo.com/
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

What has knowledge of aircrafts and physics got to do with knowing that long battery life is better than short battery life??? I'm not talking about allowing all possibilities that one can dream of specifically. I'm just talking about making a battery last as long as possible..... You know, sometimes the people in charge of this shit do make mistakes. I'm saying that they did with the black box battery life, and that I can guarantee that if I'd had a say in battery life in a black box, I would have necessarily said "make it last as long as possible". I have trouble understanding why EVERYONE wouldn't say the same thing, because it's so simple to do.

the batter is the single piece of technology that would literally save the world! ... haha ... ever see Knight and Day or The Saint or Dark Knight Rises?

if anyone could make a battery last a long time - we wouldn't have global warming or wars over oil ...

seriously ... i'm sure if they could put in a different battery that lasts longer they would ... i'm guessing they aren't putting in crappy batteries ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

the batter is the single piece of technology that would literally save the world! ... haha ... ever see Knight and Day or The Saint or Dark Knight Rises?

if anyone could make a battery last a long time - we wouldn't have global warming or wars over oil ...

seriously ... i'm sure if they could put in a different battery that lasts longer they would ... i'm guessing they aren't putting in crappy batteries ...
    Well, I guess we'll see..... if the batteries are all suddenly replaced with longer lasting ones after this incident, then we know they just made an oddly bad decision in the first place.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Here's an article that recaps most or all of the theories so far. Not sure why they call them weird theories.. except the last ones ... but who knows?

http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-show/slide-show-1-10-weird-conspiracy-theories-on-flight-mh370/20140314.htm#11
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    polaris_x said:

according to engineers ... all these systems have failsafes ... backups to the backups ... the only thing it doesn't account for is for someone turning off the system ...

the authorities have pretty much conceded this point

So if you believe these engineers why don't you believe the engineers and mathematicians that say it most likely crashed where they are looking for the plane now?
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i bet one could make a battery source out of,,, let's say copper & saltwater
    just sayin
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

just sayin

I'm sure there are all kinds of good ways to get something to ping for longer than a month. We've got satellites circling the Earth and a rover on Mars for god's sake.

• Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

just sayin

I'm sure there are all kinds of good ways to get something to ping for longer than a month. We've got satellites circling the Earth and a rover on Mars for god's sake.

I believe satellites, the rover and such rely on solar power. I'll bet this incident instigates some advancements on black box technology and battery technology. In fact, that may be the reason for this incident- battery companies lobbying for more battery research. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Thats crazy funny but i really shouldn't be laughing ;))
  • Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

just sayin

I believe satellites, the rover and such rely on solar power. I'll bet this incident instigates some advancements on black box technology and battery technology. In fact, that may be the reason for this incident- battery companies lobbying for more battery research. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it!

Lol, no, that's not what I meant (yes, they use solar power). I meant that if we can do those things, I'm sure we have the technology to get a battery going to keep something pinging for a while already. I'm thinking they just cheaped out.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

just sayin

Lol, no, that's not what I meant (yes, they use solar power). I meant that if we can do those things, I'm sure we have the technology to get a battery going to keep something pinging for a while already. I'm thinking they just cheaped out.
    Yeah, I see what you mean. Kind of one of those "If they can put a man on the moon why can't they..." sort of things. LOL!

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

just sayin

Yeah, I see what you mean. Kind of one of those "If they can put a man on the moon why can't they..." sort of things. LOL!

Completely off topic but I`m sure the latest mars rover uses Nuclear power.

Here it is, pretty cool stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_(rover)#Specifications
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    i just heard a ping
    JimmyV said:

The likeliest solution has always been that this plane is at the bottom of the ocean. The ocean is both vast and deep

the ocean is not as deep as people think.
    chinese-happy.jpg