Bootleg CD or Digital?

SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
Which one sounds better to all those experts out there...?
ShawnZ

Comments

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    This is a popular ? My vote would be CD. But I suppose you can burn the digital.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Bootleg CD or digital? hmm

Bootleg CD or inferior digital MP3's? Bootleg CD of course.

Bootleg CD or superior digital Flac? Both are the same. 16 bit 44.1 khz audio. There is no difference in quality. Just with CD you get the physical product.

Bootleg CD or superior digital 24Bit Flac-HD? 24Bit Flac-HD is much more better.

You can't tell the difference if you are playing both of these formats on a desktop PC with 2 speakers next to your monitor. But if you play them through surround sound speakers, to the good ear, some will notice the difference in sound. But it's hard to judge.

“The easiest way to envision this is as a series of levels, that audio energy can be sliced at any given moment in time. With 16 bit audio, there are 65,536 possible levels. With every bit of greater resolution, the number of levels double. By the time we get to 24 bit, we actually have 16,777,216 levels. Remember we are talking about a slice of audio frozen in a single moment of time.”

Plus 24 Bit Flac-HD file sizes are so much bigger then any CD (.wav), .Flac, .MP3 formats combined!

• northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    If I went to the show then I get the CD if I just want the boot for a show with a sweet set list or whatever other reason then I download(in MP3 cause I'm not that big an audiofile and I would rather save my money for the chance to see them live again).
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    edited March 2014
    I don't understand why there are fadeouts that correspond to the CD fadeouts on the HD-FLAC. I understand that the higher resolution is used to master the CDs, but they could keep the HD-FLAC intact and then add the fadeouts when they master the CD. Why they are still slaves to the time constraints of the CD format is beyond me.
    Post edited by darthvedder on
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

I don't understand why there are fadeouts that correspond to the CD fadeouts on the HD-FLAC. I understand that the higher resolution is used to master the CDs, but they could keep the HD-FLAC intact and then add the fadeouts when they master the CD. Why they are still slaves to the time constraints of the CD format is beyond me.

I never heard a HD-FLAC before, but i would've thought there would be NO fade-outs.

HD-FLAC can be burned to a AUDIO DVD?

edited March 2014
    cutz said:

I never heard a HD-FLAC before, but i would've thought there would be NO fade-outs.

I can't speak for all HD-FLAC, but there are fade-outs on the Oakland HD-FLAC. I can understand fade-outs/fade-ins for the encores, but there is no purpose to fade-outs where the CD fade-outs are because these files will never be burned to CD.

DVD-AUDIO can definitely support 24 bit/96 khz files, but you'd probably have to convert the HD-FLAC to wav before burning.
    Post edited by darthvedder on
  • SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    you guys are awesome, thanks for the input. i kinda want the physical CD but i also want them NOW. :)
    that being said i have a mac and HD Flac files are a pain to get into itunes. is there an easy way to do THIS? i googled it and it looks like a pain in the ass.
    ShawnZ
    SZ303389 said:

you guys are awesome, thanks for the input. i kinda want the physical CD but i also want them NOW. :)
    that being said i have a mac and HD Flac files are a pain to get into itunes. is there an easy way to do THIS? i googled it and it looks like a pain in the ass.

Not a pain to get Alac & Alac-HD files into iTunes though. These digital formats are not available @ the 10club store but they are available over @ livedownloads.com. For example you want to buy today Pearl Jam's Seattle '13 show. http://livedownloads.com/live-music/0,10085/Pearl-Jam-mp3-flac-download-12-6-2013-Key-Arena-Seattle-WA.html . They have many digital file download options. Now if you want to only play these files on your iTunes app, I would recommending getting Alac or Alac-HD. Which are .m4a files. Which will work for iTunes. There is no need to buy Flac or Flac-HD to encoded it to Apple. Alac & Alac-HD are Apple files that will play. .m4a files will also play on Windows using VLC Player & WinAmp.

cutz said:

I can't speak for all HD-FLAC, but there are fade-outs on the Oakland HD-FLAC. I can understand fade-outs/fade-ins for the encores, but there is no purpose to fade-outs where the CD fade-outs are because these files will never be burned to CD.

DVD-AUDIO can definitely support 24 bit/96 khz files, but you'd probably have to convert the HD-FLAC to wav before burning.
    OK>probably a dumb question, but how do you convert HD-FLAC to wav? I've burn HD-FLAC to DVD before, and when i played it i had GAPS(like MP3) between each song. Is that because i didn't convert to wave?

cutz said:

cutz said:

OK>probably a dumb question, but how do you convert HD-FLAC to wav? I've burn HD-FLAC to DVD before, and when i played it i had GAPS(like MP3) between each song. Is that because i didn't convert to wave?

Honestly, I've never burned to DVD-AUDIO before, so I couldn't tell ya. I use flac frontend to convert flac to wav. I know that Nero can convert flac to wav on the fly while burning.
  • SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    so i converted the flac hd files to files i could move to itunes...and it sounds fucking amazing!! highly recommended
    ShawnZ
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    SZ303389 said:

CD is handy for long cruisers. So many choices now, think maybe get both ;)

• MT132914MT132914 Posts: 188
    edited March 2014
    cutz said:

cutz said:

the reason why you get gaps is you have just burnt the flac or wav files onto a dvd, just like a backup, and whatever you are playing it back through is reading 1 file at a time. To create a true audio dvd the 24/96 flacs need to be converted to wav files, and then using a program like audio dvd creator the wav files are then converted to a dvd file structure, then burnt to dvd just like a movie, this will give you seemless gaps. They sound really nice in surround sound, the 24/96 files for the current length of a PJ show needs at least 2 single layer dvd's, or if you want the fades to be the start and end of a disc then 3.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    MT132914 said:

cutz said:

cutz said:

the reason why you get gaps is you have just burnt the flac or wav files onto a dvd, just like a backup, and whatever you are playing it back through is reading 1 file at a time. To create a true audio dvd the 24/96 flacs need to be converted to wav files, and then using a program like audio dvd creator the wav files are then converted to a dvd file structure, then burnt to dvd just like a movie, this will give you seemless gaps. They sound really nice in surround sound, the 24/96 files for the current length of a PJ show needs at least 2 single layer dvd's, or if you want the fades to be the start and end of a disc then 3.

I never thought of burning then as dvd-audio. I used nero lite for burning and it can convert regular flac to cd audio on the fly (ie no need to change it to WAV in between). I never bothered to check if it supported dvd-audio. Might try that when I get home.

edited March 2014
    MT132914 said:

cutz said:

cutz said:

How do you convert FLAC to WAV files?

How come they have FADES with the FLAC-HD(24/96)?

Could a PJ show be burned to just one Dual layer DVD?

Post edited by cutz on
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Each to there own But I prefer the 'Physical' CD :)
    edited March 2014
    Post edited by demetrios on
    cutz said:

MT132914 said:

cutz said:

cutz said:

How do you convert FLAC to WAV files?

How come they have FADES with the FLAC-HD(24/96)?

Could a PJ show be burned to just one Dual layer DVD?

look for a little program called traders little helper, its free, it will decode the flac files to wav files. I have no idea why the fades are there, I have no idea how they put the shows together. For a dual layer, no idea, I have never tried to make a dual layer audio dvd, I'm no expert on authoring dvd's, but I think a marker needs to be put in for the layer change. Audio DVD creator does have an option to change the memory size on the dvd.
    MT132914MT132914 P Quote

look for a little program called traders little helper, its free, it will decode the flac files to wav files. I have no idea why the fades are there, I have no idea how they put the shows together. For a dual layer, no idea, I have never tried to make a dual layer audio dvd, I'm no expert on authoring dvd's, but I think a marker needs to be put in for the layer change. Audio DVD creator does have an option to change the memory size on the dvd.

I do have Traders Little Helper and i still don't know how to decode FLAC to Wav files.

• JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,406
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
    cutz said:

MT132914MT132914 P Quote

I do have Traders Little Helper and i still don't know how to decode FLAC to Wav files.

format > decode audio files > create a folder for your new files to go to > press decode
    it is not difficult, if you can't work TLH out maybe you should stick with buying cd versions of the bootlegs

make sure "delete source files" is NOT ticked
    MT132914 said:

cutz said:

MT132914MT132914 P Quote

format > decode audio files > create a folder for your new files to go to > press decode
    it is not difficult, if you can't work TLH out maybe you should stick with buying cd versions of the bootlegs

make sure "delete source files" is NOT ticked
    That works.>THANKS a lot.

I'll have to grab a HD-FLAC some time.

Now, i have another question(I know i'm a pain in the ass>LOL): for Burning to CDs, what is better , FLAC or the WAV?

Thanks again.

if you want to play the cds on a cd player then you will need to burn them as wav files
    MT132914 said:

if you want to play the cds on a cd player then you will need to burn them as wav files

You can also burn them as .Flac files. EAC & Nero and many other app will burn the Flac to Audio CD, instead of ripping the .Wav from the .Flac.

demetrios said:

MT132914 said:

yes, that requires a codec in the application, for a playable cd it still requires the files to be wav files, wether they are decoded first, or decoded by the burning application they are still wav.

You can also burn them as .Flac files. EAC & Nero and many other app will burn the Flac to Audio CD, instead of ripping the .Wav from the .Flac.

MT132914 said:

demetrios said:

MT132914 said:

yes, that requires a codec in the application, for a playable cd it still requires the files to be wav files, wether they are decoded first, or decoded by the burning application they are still wav.

But, is one better then the other? or it doesn't mater if it's FLAC or WAV that's Burnt to a CD?

• Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    FLAC quality is identical to WAV. The answer is right in the name: Free Lossless Audio Codec.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
    MT132914 said:

cutz said:

cutz said:

OK, lets try this again. I use ImgBurn and i have gaps still. I don't see where i can Burn seamless on ImgBurn. or can i do it with ImgBurn? (I have no problem burning an Video DVD using ImgBurn). or do i need to use a audio dvd creator? and if so, what program do you suggest?
    A bump HELP.