What is the most rare PJ poster of all?

1246

Comments

  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 2,119
    edited October 31
    SS657083 said:
    Bumping this REALLY old thread - but wanted to know everyone's opinion - do you think that the Missoula poster has taken the top spot for the rarest, most controversial poster from PJ?
    Most controversial maybe. DC Reaper by Klausen was pretty controversial too.

     Not the rarest, or even close to being rare though.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 29,371
    Whatever the very first Pearl Jam concert poster was is probably the rarest I would think.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 14,951
    ski-bum said:
    The EMEK Santa Barbara 2006 has to be one of the rarest. It's on eBay right now for $4900.00
    Nope.
  • epieepie Posts: 204
    what about Merriweather Post Pavillion 1996 with mermaid.  The poster were pulled as apparently they were not endorsed by the band.  Wish I had that one.
    1996 - Columbia, MD & Augusta, ME
    2013 - Worcester, MA (Lightning Bolt Release)
    2016 - Fenway Park I and II
    2017 - HSCM (EV Solo) Boston, MA
    2018 - Seattle I, Fenway Park I and II
  • Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 324
    How rare is this poster? I recently picked one up for a really good price.
  • Wouldn't the PJ20 Movie posters that were "found" during the soundtrack promotional scavenger hunt (not the big sized ones that were given out to PJ20 Alpine Package buyers) be the rarest since there's only 29 (one for each track on the soundtrack) and they are technically each one of a kind since they were marked for each track? 
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • In 1997 PJ opened up for the Rolling Stones for four nights (November 14-15-18-19).  As you can imagine, most of the crowd was there to see the Stones...I was there to see Pearl Jam (don't get me wrong--the Stones were a pretty good closing act). Ames made a poster for the four night stand and printed up 300 of them.  I know that the night I attended it was pissing down rain and I suspect that many posters were lost that evening...(sorry can't remember which night I attended off the top of my head--note to amatuer meteorologists: please figure out the mystery of the rainy show date).  I don't know when they sold out or why I ended up bringing a poster tube, but mine survived.....

  • Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 324
    Dr. Zaius was a run of 200 (150 + 50 AP)
    Thanks. The handwritten number on my poster doesn’t coincide with this, maybe mine is a a fake. Who knows. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 43,515
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, how about this ... A 1 of 1, personally hand colored print by EMEK himself. Emek took a copy with only the back screen laid down (at least, it appears that way) and then hand colored the rest of the print. Just sold for almost $5k here ... http://auction.sixtiesposters.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3420638 image
    That is fucking amazing. I already love the regular Portland poster, but this one blows me away. Wish he'd printed that so I could have one!
    I really wish I could remember what I saw in that link, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 14,951
    epie said:
    what about Merriweather Post Pavillion 1996 with mermaid.  The poster were pulled as apparently they were not endorsed by the band.  Wish I had that one.
    I don't think that story is entirely true.

    The band did not sanction the poster to have nipples showing I thought, so they screen printed them on?

    400 or so out there?  Still not the rarest.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 860
    Are we looking for rarest or most desired/expensive?

    I wouldnt want that Zaius on my wall for instance, I dont care if there are 1 of them.

    Rarest may also be the 1/1 Atlantic City NJ 05 Klausen variant, now on ebay for $2k.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 14,951
    RS65573 said:
    Are we looking for rarest or most desired/expensive?

    I wouldnt want that Zaius on my wall for instance, I dont care if there are 1 of them.

    Rarest may also be the 1/1 Atlantic City NJ 05 Klausen variant, now on ebay for $2k.
    Variants shouldn't count.  You would have 1000 "test prints" thrown into the mix then...
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 860
    RS65573 said:
    Are we looking for rarest or most desired/expensive?

    I wouldnt want that Zaius on my wall for instance, I dont care if there are 1 of them.

    Rarest may also be the 1/1 Atlantic City NJ 05 Klausen variant, now on ebay for $2k.
    Variants shouldn't count.  You would have 1000 "test prints" thrown into the mix then...
    Good point. Agreed.
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 1,840
    Can't argue with the 06 EMEK Santa Barbara

  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 14,951
    SJD3232 said:
    Can't argue with the 06 EMEK Santa Barbara

    Well over 100 of those.  Nope.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer MarylandPosts: 12,297
    epie said:
    what about Merriweather Post Pavillion 1996 with mermaid.  The poster were pulled as apparently they were not endorsed by the band.  Wish I had that one.
    I don't think that story is entirely true.

    The band did not sanction the poster to have nipples showing I thought, so they screen printed them on?

    400 or so out there?  Still not the rarest.
    I think you're right about the Ames Merriweather.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 PDX--->KCPosts: 31,014
    What about that Vote For Change poster that came with those dvds? I think only 25 or 50 were made.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 2,929
    Probably the clown. Didn't everyone just throw theirs away when they got it in the mystery box? It has to be rare now.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 4,550
    mace1229 said:
    Probably the clown. Didn't everyone just throw theirs away when they got it in the mystery box? It has to be rare now.

    Great point

  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 29,371
    Chris1401 said:
    Dr. Zaius was a run of 200 (150 + 50 AP)
    Thanks. The handwritten number on my poster doesn’t coincide with this, maybe mine is a a fake. Who knows. 
    Image result for the simpsons dr zaius breakdance gif
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • NM70698NM70698 Posts: 14
    epie said:
    what about Merriweather Post Pavillion 1996 with mermaid.  The poster were pulled as apparently they were not endorsed by the band.  Wish I had that one.
    I don't think that story is entirely true.

    The band did not sanction the poster to have nipples showing I thought, so they screen printed them on?

    400 or so out there?  Still not the rarest.
    I think you're right about the Ames Merriweather.
    My recollection from that time is a rumor that Kim of the Fastbacks (the opening act that night) saw the poster that night and thought it was offensive.  She told PJ how she felt and they stopped sales.  I was there that night and have the poster.  It was definitely on sale at the show with other official merchandise.  I have seen the estimates of 400 but also seem to remember estimates of about twice as many.  I also think the remaining stock was ultimately available from 10 Club after the tour.     
  • candleofthoughtcandleofthought Posts: 814
    edited October 31
    RS65573 said:
    Are we looking for rarest or most desired/expensive?

    I wouldnt want that Zaius on my wall for instance, I dont care if there are 1 of them.

    Rarest may also be the 1/1 Atlantic City NJ 05 Klausen variant, now on ebay for $2k.
    Variants shouldn't count.  You would have 1000 "test prints" thrown into the mix then...

    RS65573 said:
    Are we looking for rarest or most desired/expensive?

    I wouldnt want that Zaius on my wall for instance, I dont care if there are 1 of them.

    Rarest may also be the 1/1 Atlantic City NJ 05 Klausen variant, now on ebay for $2k.
    BRAD actually did two different 1/1 of the 05 Atlantic City prints, this one on eBay and the other is on my wall. The two have slightly different colors. He sold these on eBay with the proceeds going to help out his printing company he was using at the time
    Post edited by candleofthought on
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • Mine looks like this

    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 43,515
    NM70698 said:
    epie said:
    what about Merriweather Post Pavillion 1996 with mermaid.  The poster were pulled as apparently they were not endorsed by the band.  Wish I had that one.
    I don't think that story is entirely true.

    The band did not sanction the poster to have nipples showing I thought, so they screen printed them on?

    400 or so out there?  Still not the rarest.
    I think you're right about the Ames Merriweather.
    My recollection from that time is a rumor that Kim of the Fastbacks (the opening act that night) saw the poster that night and thought it was offensive.  She told PJ how she felt and they stopped sales.  I was there that night and have the poster.  It was definitely on sale at the show with other official merchandise.  I have seen the estimates of 400 but also seem to remember estimates of about twice as many.  I also think the remaining stock was ultimately available from 10 Club after the tour.     
    Anyone have a pic of the poster? I'd love to see what Kim from the Fastbacks found so offensive. Surely it wasn't just because of nipples?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 541
    PJ_Soul said:
    NM70698 said:
    epie said:
    what about Merriweather Post Pavillion 1996 with mermaid.  The poster were pulled as apparently they were not endorsed by the band.  Wish I had that one.
    I don't think that story is entirely true.

    The band did not sanction the poster to have nipples showing I thought, so they screen printed them on?

    400 or so out there?  Still not the rarest.
    I think you're right about the Ames Merriweather.
    My recollection from that time is a rumor that Kim of the Fastbacks (the opening act that night) saw the poster that night and thought it was offensive.  She told PJ how she felt and they stopped sales.  I was there that night and have the poster.  It was definitely on sale at the show with other official merchandise.  I have seen the estimates of 400 but also seem to remember estimates of about twice as many.  I also think the remaining stock was ultimately available from 10 Club after the tour.     
    Anyone have a pic of the poster? I'd love to see what Kim from the Fastbacks found so offensive. Surely it wasn't just because of nipples?
    Think this is the one.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 43,515
    rw160510 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    NM70698 said:
    epie said:
    what about Merriweather Post Pavillion 1996 with mermaid.  The poster were pulled as apparently they were not endorsed by the band.  Wish I had that one.
    I don't think that story is entirely true.

    The band did not sanction the poster to have nipples showing I thought, so they screen printed them on?

    400 or so out there?  Still not the rarest.
    I think you're right about the Ames Merriweather.
    My recollection from that time is a rumor that Kim of the Fastbacks (the opening act that night) saw the poster that night and thought it was offensive.  She told PJ how she felt and they stopped sales.  I was there that night and have the poster.  It was definitely on sale at the show with other official merchandise.  I have seen the estimates of 400 but also seem to remember estimates of about twice as many.  I also think the remaining stock was ultimately available from 10 Club after the tour.     
    Anyone have a pic of the poster? I'd love to see what Kim from the Fastbacks found so offensive. Surely it wasn't just because of nipples?
    Think this is the one.
    Huh. Who would have thought that a member of the Fastbacks would be a huge prude? :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 541
    PJ_Soul said:
    rw160510 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    NM70698 said:
    epie said:
    what about Merriweather Post Pavillion 1996 with mermaid.  The poster were pulled as apparently they were not endorsed by the band.  Wish I had that one.
    I don't think that story is entirely true.

    The band did not sanction the poster to have nipples showing I thought, so they screen printed them on?

    400 or so out there?  Still not the rarest.
    I think you're right about the Ames Merriweather.
    My recollection from that time is a rumor that Kim of the Fastbacks (the opening act that night) saw the poster that night and thought it was offensive.  She told PJ how she felt and they stopped sales.  I was there that night and have the poster.  It was definitely on sale at the show with other official merchandise.  I have seen the estimates of 400 but also seem to remember estimates of about twice as many.  I also think the remaining stock was ultimately available from 10 Club after the tour.     
    Anyone have a pic of the poster? I'd love to see what Kim from the Fastbacks found so offensive. Surely it wasn't just because of nipples?
    Think this is the one.
    Huh. Who would have thought that a member of the Fastbacks would be a huge prude? :lol:
    In
     the Ames book there's a bit more background I seem to recall. Something about Eddie being really unhappy with it and that the image came from a porno mag. I d have to get the book out to be sure.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 43,515
    rw160510 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rw160510 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    NM70698 said:
    epie said:
    what about Merriweather Post Pavillion 1996 with mermaid.  The poster were pulled as apparently they were not endorsed by the band.  Wish I had that one.
    I don't think that story is entirely true.

    The band did not sanction the poster to have nipples showing I thought, so they screen printed them on?

    400 or so out there?  Still not the rarest.
    I think you're right about the Ames Merriweather.
    My recollection from that time is a rumor that Kim of the Fastbacks (the opening act that night) saw the poster that night and thought it was offensive.  She told PJ how she felt and they stopped sales.  I was there that night and have the poster.  It was definitely on sale at the show with other official merchandise.  I have seen the estimates of 400 but also seem to remember estimates of about twice as many.  I also think the remaining stock was ultimately available from 10 Club after the tour.     
    Anyone have a pic of the poster? I'd love to see what Kim from the Fastbacks found so offensive. Surely it wasn't just because of nipples?
    Think this is the one.
    Huh. Who would have thought that a member of the Fastbacks would be a huge prude? :lol:
    In
     the Ames book there's a bit more background I seem to recall. Something about Eddie being really unhappy with it and that the image came from a porno mag. I d have to get the book out to be sure.
    If they stole the image of the woman from a porno mag, then I understand why there would be a problem....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 14,951
    PJ_Soul said:
    rw160510 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rw160510 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    NM70698 said:
    epie said:
    what about Merriweather Post Pavillion 1996 with mermaid.  The poster were pulled as apparently they were not endorsed by the band.  Wish I had that one.
    I don't think that story is entirely true.

    The band did not sanction the poster to have nipples showing I thought, so they screen printed them on?

    400 or so out there?  Still not the rarest.
    I think you're right about the Ames Merriweather.
    My recollection from that time is a rumor that Kim of the Fastbacks (the opening act that night) saw the poster that night and thought it was offensive.  She told PJ how she felt and they stopped sales.  I was there that night and have the poster.  It was definitely on sale at the show with other official merchandise.  I have seen the estimates of 400 but also seem to remember estimates of about twice as many.  I also think the remaining stock was ultimately available from 10 Club after the tour.     
    Anyone have a pic of the poster? I'd love to see what Kim from the Fastbacks found so offensive. Surely it wasn't just because of nipples?
    Think this is the one.
    Huh. Who would have thought that a member of the Fastbacks would be a huge prude? :lol:
    In
     the Ames book there's a bit more background I seem to recall. Something about Eddie being really unhappy with it and that the image came from a porno mag. I d have to get the book out to be sure.
    If they stole the image of the woman from a porno mag, then I understand why there would be a problem....
    annnnnd how did they know it came from a porno mag?!?
Sign In or Register to comment.