Options

Front Row in GA.

I got 10c for a few PJ concerts. What dol I have to do in order to be up against the rail in the front?
CHARLOTTE 2013

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    put the number 1 on your wrist with a sharpie then show up 5 minutes before the doors open and show everyone the one in your wrist. you should be fine!
  • Options
    HB244052HB244052 Posts: 57

put the number 1 on your wrist with a sharpie then show up 5 minutes before the doors open and show everyone the one in your wrist. you should be fine!

Hahaha

• Options
    Get in line as soon as you got confirmation for GA tickets.
  • Options
    Twiggy57Twiggy57 Posts: 136
    Haha don't you dare start this discussion again about those stupid number on hand thing gggrrrr.......
    Just come early and wait in a honest line........the whole day !!! ;-D
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    I'm too tall to ever be on the rail, but good luck to you - bring on the summer!!!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,923
    edited April 2014
    Show up early (I got in line at 7:40 am), become friends with everyone, have a fun day hanging out with other jammers, and run like hell when they open the doors.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited April 2014
    I wouldn't even recommend the rail unless you have something wrong physically where you absolutely need to lean on something the whole show. Front row GA is way too close to the stage. You end up with a very sore neck from straining to look up at the stage, plus your view of further back on the stage isn't as good. Plus a lot of the people who are on the rail are kind of weird. I was three deep and I still found that too close by halfway through the show because of my neck (and I don't have a bad neck). I think probably 5 or 6 deep anywhere between Mike and Stone is ideal if you want the best vantage point and the most fun spot in GA! And for that you just get to the show just before doors open, if that.... Unless your goal is to score picks and a gulp of wine from a bottle that 10 other strangers just drank from and not really move at all. Then you want to be front and centre. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i worry about this because i am short. are people pressed up against each other at these shows?

i'm sure pj's shows are not as wild as a show like qotsa... but i was about three rows deep at a shins show and my face was literally pressed into some tall guy's back for most of the night. and sometimes you can't move to another spot because the crowd is too tight.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

are people pressed up against each other at these shows?

YES!
  • Options
    edited April 2014

i worry about this because i am short. are people pressed up against each other at these shows?

i'm sure pj's shows are not as wild as a show like qotsa... but i was about three rows deep at a shins show and my face was literally pressed into some tall guy's back for most of the night. and sometimes you can't move to another spot because the crowd is too tight.

It wasn't tight for me at the two shows I was in GA for. I was able to dance and feel comfortable for most of the Vancouver show three deep directly in front of Eddie, and 7 deep in Missoula in front of Mike.Tons of space, really. The 10C GA pit is fine. You might get pressed a bit if Mike or Eddie come down to the rail or something obviously, but for the most part it's all good. Nothing to worry about, and except for a few bad eggs everyone is mindful of others. There is no problem moving back and sideways (moving up is another story). I'm tall though. I really can't say what it's like for shorter people. How short? I've seen short girls at the rail and the rail comes up to their shoulders. It doesn't look like a comfortable spot for them at all, craning their necks like that for as much as 5 1/2 hours if there is an opener.

From what I can tell, the biggest concern should be how to prevent yourself from going to the bathroom to pee in the middle of the show and also not dehydrating.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Show up early (I got in line at 7:40 am), become friends with everyone, have a fun day hanging out with other jammers, and run like hell when they open the doors.

Huge waste of time IMO. Spending 12 hours sitting on a sidewalk just to get 3 feet closer to the stage (literally). There are better and more comfortable ways to become friends with the other fans before the show. But to each their own.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

YES!
    Where? When? Not that I've seen or heard from the last couple of years.
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,923
    edited April 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

Huge waste of time IMO. Spending 12 hours sitting on a sidewalk just to get 3 feet closer to the stage (literally). There are better and more comfortable ways to become friends with the other fans before the show. But to each their own.
    Honestly one of the best days of my life, met some cool people, heard cool stories, and it was different then any other pre-show thing I've ever done. I don't think I'd do it again, but the day seriously didn't seem that long and, like I said, one of the best.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

YES!
    Well, crowds in Europe are not like the crowds in the USA (& Canada). I thought that the GA section up front was quite tame last year, compared to the shows I've been to in the Netherlands. And I'm pretty sure it's not just a Dutch thing, as for other bands I've also witnessed it in other countries (like Spain).
    I'm not saying it's this wild mosh-pit as it's likely not. But it is a bit more crammed and physical.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

YES!
    Well, crowds in Europe are not like the crowds in the USA (& Canada). I thought that the GA section up front was quite tame last year, compared to the shows I've been to in the Netherlands. And I'm pretty sure it's not just a Dutch thing, as for other bands I've also witnessed it in other countries (like Spain).
    I'm not saying it's this wild mosh-pit as it's likely not. But it is a bit more crammed and physical.
    Oh no, sorry, should have mentioned that I'm not talking about any place outside of North America. The crowds in Europe are way more crazy from what I've heard and seen, and the South American crowds are clearly insane - I wouldn't go anywhere near the stage if I saw a show down there!
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited April 2014
    Pearl jam GA is fine. I've only done it once for ACL. I was 4rth row. It was muddy as hell in the ground, but a blast.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    guypaganoguypagano New Jersey Posts: 33
    I have 2 10C GA's for Milan, my wife and I are in our early 50's my concern is will it be safe for my wife
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,838
    Pearl Jam are playing in Atlanta?!
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    timmay44212timmay44212 Posts: 107
    guypagano said:

I have 2 10C GA's for Milan, my wife and I are in our early 50's my concern is will it be safe for my wife

Since Roskilde the band and fans have done an incredible job making sure everyone stays safe. You should have no problem.
    10/11/13 consol energy center pittsburgh
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    MedozK said:

YES!
    Up front, yes, very much so. In the back of GA, not so much
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

YES!
    I have only been in GA, during festival settings and in those it was tight. Atlanta comes to mind, but maybe its just a festival thing.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited April 2014
    I waited in line starting at 7 a in Phoenix and was front row on rail between Mike and Eddie. Had decent room, but not dancing room. Only shoving from some drunk asses at only 1 part of show 3/4 done. Had fantastic time. Got no goodies, but girls beside me got great stuff (harmonica, picks, tambourines, etc)
    Didn't wait in Seattle and went to the preparty. Walked to the arena around 6-6:30p. Walked in and was about 10 rows back or so on Mikes side.
    Basically with GA you've got great chance of being close. If you want rail get there damn early. If you want to be noticed by Ed get there early or be a cute girl up close. If you want guitar picks or treats from Ed, get there early or bring your young kids!!

Whatever you do, just feel lucky you're seeing one of the best bands likely at a sold out show. Just rock it and have fun!
    Oh, and... Don't take your kids!!!
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    For the second Brooklyn show last year, it wasn't too bad. Got to the line around noon, had a great time with new and old friends, and ended up literally right in front of Mike McCready, leaning on the rail! And for the record - I'm 5'6, and had no issues with a sore neck. Was it worth it? Fuck yes. If I knew I had to wait for twelve hours to get the same spot - would I have? Fuck yes.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,491

guypagano said:

Since Roskilde the band and fans have done an incredible job making sure everyone stays safe. You should have no problem.

yes,but don't forget..the arena of san siro its huge..there gonna be almost 30.000 people??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    Big differecne between GA at Arena shows in 2013, Lolla as exemaple in 2007, and Europe.

Night and day.

The GA shows I attended in 2013. Be in line first 100 go in when doors open 2-3 deep, get there an hour later and you are 10 feet back from there. After I stood and sat thru Mudhoney and the stage change when i looked bcak as PJ was ready to start only half the GA section was full.
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options

MedozK said:

YES!
    Up front, yes, very much so. In the back of GA, not so much
    Not even up front really in my experience - not for most of the time anyway.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

YES!
    I have only been in GA, during festival settings and in those it was tight. Atlanta comes to mind, but maybe its just a festival thing.
    Ah, yeah, festivals I'm sure are worse... more drunk people in the pit, and way more people in general.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    PJ_Soul said:

It wasn't tight for me at the two shows I was in GA for. I was able to dance and feel comfortable for most of the Vancouver show three deep directly in front of Eddie, and 7 deep in Missoula in front of Mike.Tons of space, really. The 10C GA pit is fine. You might get pressed a bit if Mike or Eddie come down to the rail or something obviously, but for the most part it's all good. Nothing to worry about, and except for a few bad eggs everyone is mindful of others. There is no problem moving back and sideways (moving up is another story). I'm tall though. I really can't say what it's like for shorter people. How short? I've seen short girls at the rail and the rail comes up to their shoulders. It doesn't look like a comfortable spot for them at all, craning their necks like that for as much as 5 1/2 hours if there is an opener.

From what I can tell, the biggest concern should be how to prevent yourself from going to the bathroom to pee in the middle of the show and also not dehydrating.
    Depends, dude.

:p
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    Seriously...Get there early. Take a friend to hold your spot in line while you get the tickets...well, you should have your friend with you all day anyway so you can stand beside him/her at the show.

Take some lawn chairs or something. When you get to about 45-30 minutes until doors, one of you holds the spot in line while the other runs the lawn chairs back to the car...that way, you'll have fresh legs and everyone else, not so much.

What I have heard is that some people find alternate doors and then rush in through them without waiting in line for hours and hours...they'll be as close to the stage as others. Oddly enough, for at least one show, there were plenty of spots on the rail way on the side, so apparently, the "line and number" system really is just for those people that want to be front and center...if you want to be "front and side", then no need to wait in line or bum-rush the doors.

And yes, I heard from someone who had pit tickets for a show last year...she was able to go in about 30-45 minutes before showtime and ended up in the 6th or so row.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    If you want first row you need to show up very very early, like 6-7 am early. Otherwise you can show up maybe an hour or so before (or just as doors open) and still be 3-5 rows back, especially if you go towards the sides. Maybe 10 rows back if you move closer to the center.

In the US, I found the crowds to be pretty tame, the center probably gets a little more pushing or pressing close together. But in general, I would not describe it as tight.

Unless you really want to score goodies or make eye contact with the band, I would say go later in the day, you will get a great spot and view of the stage when you are in the GA pit.
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.