Options

Rule 19: Never, under any circumstances, wear the t shirt of the band you are going to see

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Anyone who listens to... and follows... rules created by a character in a movie (who is written into the screenplay as a douchebag), should not be listened to.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,148
    I generally go by that rule unless I'm going to see my favorite band.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I wore my blood red pearl jam shirt to the charlotte show. I'm to old to follow those fucktard rules.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,825
    Cosmo said:

Anyone who listens to... and follows... rules created by a character in a movie (who is written into the screenplay as a douchebag), should not be listened to.

Exactly!
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    This was funny at the time. Mock it now (I don't agree with it either) but at least admit when this came out you thought the movie was funny. I saw it for the first time in 10 years the other day and it really disappointed me. I remembered it being much funnier. I guess it was part of yester year.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    I think the rule should be changed to "Never, under any circumstances, go to a pre-concert bar that plays only songs of the band you are going to see"

Shirt cool. Listening to the band for hours before the concert not cool.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    edited February 2014

Thoughts?

Sounds like I may be the only one but I 100% agree with it. Yell at me if you want to, but you simply don't wear the t shirt of the band your going to see. It's simple. You don't want to be that guy. I've been to hundreds of phish and dead shows and only 7 pj shows but those who wear the shirts of the band are notoriously mocked and the laughing stock of the fans I know.

To each his own though. Gotta say I was guilty of it once, but once feeling like an asshole was enough. I do like the guy who's like 60 wearing the band shirt, though. It's kinda sad actually, but hilarious!

Amendment: even worse is the dude who buys the shirt AT the concert and puts it on and is looking around all proud of himself! Hahahahah! L-)
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    If there are rules!

Thoughts?

Sounds like I may be the only one but I 100% agree with it. Yell at me if you want to, but you simply don't wear the t shirt of the band your going to see. It's simple. You don't want to be that guy. I've been to hundreds of phish and dead shows and only 7 pj shows but those who wear the shirts of the band are notoriously mocked and the laughing stock of the fans I know.

To each his own though. Gotta say I was guilty of it once, but once feeling like an asshole was enough. I do like the guy who's like 60 wearing the band shirt, though. It's kinda sad actually, but hilarious!

Amendment: even worse is the dude who buys the shirt AT the concert and puts it on and is looking around all proud of himself! Hahahahah! L-)
    Well, for those over 30 who can't get away with wearing Pearl Jam shirts on a daily basis, the PJ concert provides an opportunity to leave the collared shirt at home and break out the PJ.
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I don't think I've ever worn the shirt of the band I was seeing at the show.

I can thank PCU for that.

I don't think it's a big deal if you do... I just never wanted to let Droz down...

Never wanted to be "that guy"
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    sherm said:

Rule #1 Wear whatever the fuck i feel like wearing

• Options
    I bought a shirt at Hartford '13 (while wearing a PJ shirt from the 2000 tour) and wore it the next night to a Lamb of God show down the road. Pretty sure I was the only one dressed like that. But one kid did come up to me and said he wanted to see PJ but didn't have money for both shows.
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    edited February 2014
    Meh, I couldn't care less what other people are wearing at a concert (as long as they are respectful of the band and fellow audience members).

I don't own any PJ/EV clothing, but I did wear a Seattle hoodie at one of Eddie's solo concerts...I visited Seattle in late 2012 and loved it there. Does the same rule apply for Seattle related clothing? ;).
    Post edited by -Emma- on
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

Thoughts?

Wow. You WAY over-think the whole scenario.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Thoughts?

You are not alone.I Will not,Do not wear the gear day of show.This goes for my Beloved Tampa Bay Bucs as well no jersey to games either.Why get beer sweat and filth all over a quality concert shirt.Now I will rock that shit all other times.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    rr165892 said:

Thoughts?

You are not alone.I Will not,Do not wear the gear day of show.This goes for my Beloved Tampa Bay Bucs as well no jersey to games either.Why get beer sweat and filth all over a quality concert shirt.Now I will rock that shit all other times.
    Do you have a sealed Benny?
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,781
    As a mother of 3 including a 14 year old girl who rolls her eyes when I wear my pj shirts, I feel like a pj concert is the one place I can proudly wear my pj shirts, hoodies, patches, socks and pins and not feel like I stick out. Geesh I guess my kid might be right, I'm just a nerd after all ;)
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    I haven't lost my cool factor, yet. My daughter is 8 and makes me bring her a PJ shirt home from the shows. :))
  • Options
    I'm always of the school of thought that wearing the shirt of the band you are going to see is pretty sad. Everyone knows you like Pearl jam so why tell everyone you like them at their gig??

Still, to each their own and I do love seeing really old PJ shirts at shows so I guess I'm a hypocrite :P
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 231
    It's a tough one. First of all, to each their own..

We go to a football game, we wear our teams jersey. We go to a concert, and it's wrong, or it doesn't feel right to wear the bands shirt?

Last summer in London, it was great to see so many different PJ & 10C shirts wondering around. Shirts that I hadn't seen before, or had only ever seen in the store.

Personally I tend to not wear the bands shirt to the show, but end up wearing one anyway if I buy one at the show.

So does that mean that I end up becoming that guy breaking Rule 19 and wearing A PJ shirt at the show?

• Options
    I say wear whatever you feel like wearing.
    You could also say it's silly to wear a T-shirt from a different band.
    The only thing I try to avoid if I can is to wear a T-shirt that I bought that night.
    For some reason I just never like it when I meet someone with the same shirt and that does tend to happen when you just bought it. :D
    But hey if the shirt I'm wearing is wet then fuck it, it's better to be practical.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Some people lose things, so putting your new shirt on might not be a bad idea. :P
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Thoughts?

so people are really at the shows thinking that they are cool cuz they left their gear at home? there are really people there judging me? that's just sad, it must be nice to be too cool for school. maybe pay more attention to the music and less to yourselves, cool kids.

imagine if EVERYONE (yeah yeah i know they dont have that many) bought a tshirt at the show and put it on. the fall tour could have seen a sea of red shirts and there is no doubt that the band would find that "cooler" than a bunch of fans too "cool" to wear their gear.

also what movie is this from?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    my2hands said:

sherm said:

Rule #1 Wear whatever the fuck i feel like wearing

amen
    amenT!
    :D

Seriously, much agreed with this Rule #1.

Rule #2 - who gives a fluttering fuck what others are wearing to a concert?

Too many folks focused on stupid, inconsequential shit.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    rgambs said:

Thoughts?

so people are really at the shows thinking that they are cool cuz they left their gear at home? there are really people there judging me? that's just sad, it must be nice to be too cool for school. maybe pay more attention to the music and less to yourselves, cool kids.

imagine if EVERYONE (yeah yeah i know they dont have that many) bought a tshirt at the show and put it on. the fall tour could have seen a sea of red shirts and there is no doubt that the band would find that "cooler" than a bunch of fans too "cool" to wear their gear.

also what movie is this from?
    PCU

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110759/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    I read the news today
    Oh boy
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Who cares! I wear PJ shirts to the shows sometimes...nothing could ever not be cool about showing pride for the best band on the planet. If that is a rule, this culture is an exception.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Whenever this topic comes up am I just shocked how many people actually follow a rule from a freaking movie. Holy crap.

I seriously weep for the insecurity that must be present in people that feel the need to consciously adhere to this.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Buck,what is a sealed Benny???
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219

Another reason why I don't go to Phish Concerts... (other than thinking their music sucks).
    Judegmental hippie fucks and Indie Hipster douchebags judging what other people are wearing and subjecting them to ridicule? They are PHISH Fans!!! Look in the fucking mirror... you are Phish Fans!!!
    Personally, i don't care what other people are wearing... and i really don't give a fuck about what other people think about me. Especially, if it were at a Phish Concert... which I will never be at... knowing there are so many judgemental assholes in attendence.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Cosmo said:

Another reason why I don't go to Phish Concerts... (other than thinking their music sucks).
    Judegmental hippie fucks and Indie Hipster douchebags judging what other people are wearing and subjecting them to ridicule? They are PHISH Fans!!! Look in the fucking mirror... you are Phish Fans!!!
    Personally, i don't care what other people are wearing... and i really don't give a fuck about what other people think about me. Especially, if it were at a Phish Concert... which I will never be at... knowing there are so many judgemental assholes in attendence.

Judgmental assholes are prevalent at every show. I am a huge Phish fan, and just like PJ they have their share of holier-than-thou fans. But some of the chillest people I have met at concerts have been at Phish shows, just like PJ shows.

It's ok to not be a fan of the music, to each their own. It just bugs me when someone says they hate Phish because of the scene and have never actually been a part of it or even been to 1 show. You're listening to what other people have told you...often times when they themselves have no idea what they are talking about. And as far as that poster is concerned- yup...his post was as annoyingly judgmental as they come. That's why I called him out too.

I know you're a cool shit, as we've both been on this board for eons.

Heh, and if you ever want to give Phish a try, oh boy do I have a lot I can send your way.

Peace.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"