Options

Offi-cal listen to a 2005 Canadian show day

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
edited February 2015 in The Porch
Love those darn Canadians! I'm starting with Kitchener. Which one are you going to listen to today?
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on

Comments

• Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Amazing shows and crowds for their first trip to South America. Those fans certainly made a lasting impression on the band. The Canadian tour was very unexpected especially the number of dates and obscure locations but the shows themselves were great. The two St. John's shows, Calgary, Hamilton, Halifax, the Ramones influenced show in Montreal, Mexico City, Buenos Aires and Santiago are all big highlights for me. Not to forget the Gorge, Philly and Borgata shows which were great too. The Canadian setlists are certainly some of my personal favourites from over the years and having mp3's of the shows available was really exciting too. It baffles me how people who grew up on shitty audience recordings and $50 hit or miss silver CD' s can be so fucking anal about sound quality especially regarding mp 3. They sounded great to me and I loved the artwork. Some day I'd love to make a CD set from this tour Kufala style and the 06 ones too.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I did Montreal and Ottawa. Montreal was really good, but Ottawa stole the show...absolutely incredible concert.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    At both Borgata shows, they were amazing. So much fun seeing them in a small place and in the pit.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

Amazing shows and crowds for their first trip to South America. Those fans certainly made a lasting impression on the band. The Canadian tour was very unexpected especially the number of dates and obscure locations but the shows themselves were great. The two St. John's shows, Calgary, Hamilton, Halifax, the Ramones influenced show in Montreal, Mexico City, Buenos Aires and Santiago are all big highlights for me. Not to forget the Gorge, Philly and Borgata shows which were great too. The Canadian setlists are certainly some of my personal favourites from over the years and having mp3's of the shows available was really exciting too. It baffles me how people who grew up on shitty audience recordings and $50 hit or miss silver CD' s can be so fucking anal about sound quality especially regarding mp 3. They sounded great to me and I loved the artwork. Some day I'd love to make a CD set from this tour Kufala style and the 06 ones too.

Exactly my sentiment on bootlegs as well, and the entire 05' tour too. Great thoughts here!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ezo5000Ezo5000 Posts: 155
    I was at Missoula then the Gorge a few days later. My first shows since '98. The Gorge was my wife's first show. Fantastic times.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

At both Borgata shows, they were amazing. So much fun seeing them in a small place and in the pit.

I was there also.Front row on the rail,Mikes side both nights.Great energy,intimate setting(kinda).What very became of the picture we all were part of for Kelly Slaters BDay that Ed stopped the show to turn on house lights and take?
  • Options
    I was in Ottawa and the show was awesome, some backup from Sleater Kinney on Neil Young's "Harvest Moon"
    was a favorite. The MP3/FLAC for the show was available to download like (someone correct me) the next day(or two, or three?), but was not nearly as good as today's Boots. The guitars sound a little flat, but to hear that show brings me right back. Anybody else remember Mike rockin' the Zeppelin during Yellow Ledbetter?
    Like A Fist To The Jaw
  • Options
    2005 was a fantastic year to see the band, a tour for the true believers. The Canadian leg was magical, even though I only managed three shows, Thunder Bay, Kitchener and London, but they were unforgettable. I met Jason and the gang on the Touring Van that year too.
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,431
    My wife bought be tix to the Edmonton show for my birthday. Was a huge PJ fan as a kid, and I will admit was a little ho hum till Avacado was released. That show brought me back.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,158
    I went to the Gorge and Vancouver shows. The Gorge show is still the best PJ show I've ever seen. Vancouver was pretty good too. Band/Crowd were on fire.

It was a bit funny though. Vancouver got announced earlier with the rest of the Canadian tour and the Gorge was added later on. So there were a bunch of people from Washington State at the Vancouver show, and a bunch of people from BC at the Gorge show because they couldn't get tickets to Vancouver (Vancouver shows that occur when there is no Seattle show are much harder to get tickets for).
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    Stood about ten feet in front of Mike for the first Borgata show... Awesome show.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    spearhead said:

2005 was a fantastic year to see the band, a tour for the true believers. The Canadian leg was magical, even though I only managed three shows, Thunder Bay, Kitchener and London, but they were unforgettable. I met Jason and the gang on the Touring Van that year too.

Kitchener was great fun. Great fans there.

St John's shows were worth the trip. The pre and after parties were international. The center of town was closed for the weekend. Heard Stone "Kissed the Fish" in St. Johns.

St Johns was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Took a boat ride off the coast. Amazing!
    Hold On
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    edited February 2014
    So many great shows in Canada 2005. SA 2005, while still good, didn't compare for me performance wise. Still, the energy and sense of happy spirits from the band on that tour haven't been matched since.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I was at the Philadelphia show that year. It still rates as the Pearl Jam show I've been too. Great setlist including Wash to open the show, Crown of Thorns and Little Sister. Amazing crowd...best singing I've ever heard at a show. Bought the poster at the show and ended up mailing it to Mr. Klausen for his signature before I framed it & hung it in my office. I smile every day when I look at..remembering the show and a great crowd.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options

I was at the Philadelphia show that year. It still rates as the Pearl Jam show I've been too. Great setlist including Wash to open the show, Crown of Thorns and Little Sister. Amazing crowd...best singing I've ever heard at a show. Bought the poster at the show and ended up mailing it to Mr. Klausen for his signature before I framed it & hung it in my office. I smile every day when I look at..remembering the show and a great crowd.

Good stuff right there!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    sometimesicringesometimesicringe Vancouver, BC Posts: 85
    agree with everything above!
    I managed 7 shows that year (Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Quebec City, and 2 St. John's)...lived in St. John's at the time, and grew up in NL, so it was great to have them in my back yard!
    Amazing tour, still some of the best shows I've seen
  • Options
    nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    Saw six shows that year and still feel it's one of their best tours. The Ottawa show was the best of the Canadian part of the tour and the London show is a personal favourite because Eddie was taking requests in the parking lot beforehand.
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• Options
    A well toured bunch here! I absolutely love how much energy the band brings to Canada! Who cares what the fuck the boots sound like?! They are light years better than the AUD recordings, remember that! :bz
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Kitchener up and on right now.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Since it's OFFI-cal, I fully support this! Went to montreal few years back, 2nd row in front of stoner, one of the best shows I ever attended.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836
    Okie dokie. It'll start today with Halifax 2005, baby!!!! :rock_on:
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Never been to Canada, but the boots were amazing!!!
    it's OFFI-cal... one of the best "legs" of the mid-period

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    Maybe PJ's most underrated tour. So many great shows during the Canadian leg. I'll listen to Montreal.. Light Years, Sad, In My Tree and 2 great encores.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    Band in awesome form.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    went to the Winnipeg show. I'm curious, as someone who has only seen the band 5 times, what makes one tour so much better than another? how can one simply tell from a bootleg if a tour is so much better than another? maybe I just haven't listened to enough boots! LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    spinning Thunder Bay as we speak
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!