Options

2023 Grammys

Comments

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    edited February 2017

hedonist said:

If he is, he's a fucking idiot.

I mean how could he blow away all that money?
    What about his wife's fortune? Can't she save his ass.
    It's a lot easier than people think, in the music industry (and the sports industry as well) they get what they call deferred splits. Here's how that breaks down. A record label shells out say 250,000 to make a record. That 250,000 covers paying studio musicians, studio time, album pressing, ( or cutting in the case of digital bytes; CDs), artwork, promotional DO dads, limo services, and in that end only maybe10% goes to the artist for time in. They also get shell outs of the contract agreements on a regular basis, that is negotiated in the writing of said contract, based on an estimated value of a complete set of works; also negotiated in the contract. So say, the company
    Estimates that the artist will produce $20,000,000, over a 10 album spread. The contract is written for $1,000,000 allowance per album, with the other 10,000,000 being split up between
    Each and every album produced, and throughout the supporting tours for each album.
    It is not a lump sum sorta thing.
    Case in point.. EV has a net worth of over 119 million dollars. Does he have all that in hand?? No. it's an estimated value based on record sales, and investment holdings, ( I.e, the five houses, the vehicles he owns, the undeveloped properties he owns, etc. )
    Same with Kanye, only Kanye is an
    Idiot.. and may have blown through that in deficit debt, thinking he'd build on album sales, or whatever., MC Hammer did the exact same thing. These contracts pay out over decade long spans.. the artists often
    Overspend what they get in hand.
    As for KK, she's just as bad..
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    edited February 2017

hedonist said:

If he is, he's a fucking idiot.

I mean how could he blow away all that money?
    What about his wife's fortune? Can't she save his ass.
    It's a lot easier than people think, in the music industry (and the sports industry as well) they get what they call deferred splits. Here's how that breaks down. A record label shells out say 250,000 to make a record. That 250,000 covers paying studio musicians, studio time, album pressing, ( or cutting in the case of digital bytes; CDs), artwork, promotional DO dads, limo services, and in that end only maybe10% goes to the artist for time in. They also get shell outs of the contract agreements on a regular basis, that is negotiated in the writing of said contract, based on an estimated value of a complete set of works; also negotiated in the contract. So say, the company
    Estimates that the artist will produce $20,000,000, over a 10 album spread. The contract is written for $1,000,000 allowance per album, with the other 10,000,000 being split up between
    Each and every album produced, and throughout the supporting tours for each album.
    It is not a lump sum sorta thing.
    Case in point.. EV has a net worth of over 119 million dollars. Does he have all that in hand?? No. it's an estimated value based on record sales, and investment holdings, ( I.e, the five houses, the vehicles he owns, the undeveloped properties he owns, etc. )
    Same with Kanye, only Kanye is an
    Idiot.. and may have blown through that in deficit debt, thinking he'd build on album sales, or whatever., MC Hammer did the exact same thing. These contracts pay out over decade long spans.. the artists often
    Overspend what they get in hand.
    As for KK, she's just as bad..
    Anything made OVER the estimated profit is called in hand profit. THAT is the artist's money, once, of course all of that shell-out is paid back to the contracting company. That can take awhile. PJ got really
    Lucky with Ten, and saw in hand profit in less than 2 yrs. that is rare!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I just don't understand the appeal of Ed Sheeran.
    Everything he does, there's a dozen guys who do it better and are better looking.  His songwriting is mediocre and uninspired, I just don't get it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    rgambs said:
    I just don't understand the appeal of Ed Sheeran.
    Everything he does, there's a dozen guys who do it better and are better looking.  His songwriting is mediocre and uninspired, I just don't get it.
    He irritates me.
    Some moron I used to work with labeled his music as 'alternative rock'
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    So I checked out some Portugal. The Man today and I gotta say, I dig them.  I've never heard of them until a buddy of mine last night mentioned them saying "Hail Satan" during their Grammy acceptance speech.  That was reason enough for me to check them out.  Apparently they've been around for over a decade and have 8 albums?
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,354
    edited November 2019
    Surprised no Bruce. Also surprising Lil Nas X getting an album of the year nod
    https://www.grammy.com/grammys/awards
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Lil Nas X was a cross over artist, how could he not be on there?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    igotid88 said:
    How could he be a crossover artist if no one knew what genre was his first? Also crossing over has nothing to do with Album of the Year. The ep wasn't even critically acclaimed 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    How could he be a crossover artist if no one knew what genre was his first? Also crossing over has nothing to do with Album of the Year. The ep wasn't even critically acclaimed 
    So this record was in the country top 10 at first but then was not because it wasn't considered country, the song was then picked up by the R&B community and got heavy rotation so it is a "Cross over" considering country stations were playing this tune as well as R&B, pop and college.

It got so  much press they went back and redid it with Billy ray Cyrus.

An album that is played in the different genres of music makes it a perfect example of what an Album of the Year should be.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    So this record was in the country top 10 at first but then was not because it wasn't considered country, the song was then picked up by the R&B community and got heavy rotation so it is a "Cross over" considering country stations were playing this tune as well as R&B, pop and college.

An album that is played in the different genres of music makes it a perfect example of what an Album of the Year should be.
    The album has to be good or critically acclaimed to be in the best album category. Maybe the exception if it was a big seller. I understand why the song was nominated. You're probably confusing the song with the album.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

The album has to be good or critically acclaimed to be in the best album category. Maybe the exception if it was a big seller. I understand why the song was nominated. You're probably confusing the song with the album.
    I always mix up the term Album and record...  Record is the single, and album is the whole album...

• Options
    I loved Tyler the Creators performance.

Billie Eilish's rendition of her song was fantastic.  Her and her brother are doing good things.

Demi Lavato was good.

Meek Mil killed it on his verse.

Everything else was meh.

BTS w Nas X and Nas showing up was fun but still meh...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited January 2020
    I was explaining to one of the kids that there are way more awards given out than what they televise.  I dont think rock or alternative was televised this year.   Loved seeing Billie Eilish get recognized for her talent. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195

Billie Eilish's rendition of her song was fantastic.  Her and her brother are doing good things.

Demi Lavato was good.

Everything else was meh.

ugh the rap shit is awful in live performances.  cringe worthy in my opinion

I was glad Billie Eilish just came out and sang. none of the bullshit with all the extra cap.

Gary Clark Jr. was great.

the music tribute at the end with Trombone Shorty was pretty good.

the funniest part that I saw was Steven Tyler bringing the two girls up to dance...and they were brutal. had no rhythm whatsoever

• Options
    pjhawks said:

Demi Lavato was good.

Everything else was meh.

ugh the rap shit is awful in live performances.  cringe worthy in my opinion

I was glad Billie Eilish just came out and sang. none of the bullshit with all the extra cap.

Gary Clark Jr. was great.

the music tribute at the end with Trombone Shorty was pretty good.

the funniest part that I saw was Steven Tyler bringing the two girls up to dance...and they were brutal. had no rhythm whatsoever

I missed Gary Clark...  Damn it.

Not 1 mention of Neil Peart though.  Cmon.  You need to do better than that...
  • Options
    I was explaining to one of the kids that there are way more awards given out than what they televise.  I dont think rock or alternative was televised this year.   Loved seeing Billie Eilish get recognized for her talent. 
    I was having a conversation w some people w the lack of rock music being shown/promoted/produced in the Grammys.  I brought up how effing cool it would be if TOOL came on and performed for 13 minutes with their whole effects.

It would have the crowd, even that crowd, going absolutely nuts.  Alicia Keys would have lost her shit, lol!

And Yes, Billie and Phineas are an amazing duo as BOTH were recognized.
  • Options
    Finneas actually won the most awards out of anyone.  Thats amazing.  6 grammys
  • Options
    He spells it with an F?  Interesting.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    Ferb got shut out?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Ferb got shut out?
    He was building some shit
  • Options
    No nominations for Pearl Jam. Not even album package 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    No nominations for Pearl Jam. Not even album package 
    But at least the Replacements got nominated for best linear notes lol
  • Options
    Even The Weeknd got snubbed. And he was the heavy favorite to receive a ton of nominations
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,764
    Legit question - does the band have to submit for Grammy consideration? It's not like i'd imagine them trying hard to win an award they wrote off back in Vitalogy days. Easily could have received accolades - even if just a nomination - for Gigaton.
  • Options
    tschav said:
    Legit question - does the band have to submit for Grammy consideration? It's not like i'd imagine them trying hard to win an award they wrote off back in Vitalogy days. Easily could have received accolades - even if just a nomination - for Gigaton.
    I believe every album is eligible. And they were in the preliminary stages. Someone I know is a voter. They just didn't make it to the final nominations 
    I miss igotid88