Options

1% in America are treated like Jews in Nazi Germany

This is pretty rich, but I think highlights the possibility of a coming battle between the super rich and the rest of us.

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/25/wealthy_venture_capitalist_tom_perkins_says_the_1_in_america_are_treated_like_jews_in_nazi_germany/

Wealthy venture capitalist Tom Perkins says the 1% in America are treated like Jews in Nazi Germany

In a letter to the editor in the Wall Street Journal, Perkins warns of a "progressive Kristallnacht"

Thomas Perkins is a hyper-wealthy venture capitalist. Beyond his enormous success in business, he may be best known as the man who was profiled by “60 Minutes” for owning The Maltese Falcon, one of the largest privately owned sailing yachts in the world (he’s since sold it). He’s the former husband of Danielle Steel, one of the most successful authors ever, and he owns many mansions all over the world. All in all, it’s pretty good to be Tom Perkins.

Or so you would think! Yet according to a letter to the editor he wrote to the Wall Street Journal, the reality of being Tom Perkins isn’t so much defined by extravagant wealth, luxury, comfort, and power, but rather a growing sense of fear and dread. It’s so bad, Perkins says, that being a member of the American 1% today is actually comparable to being a Jew in Nazi Germany.

Seriously. He wrote this.

Here’s Perkins’ letter, in full:

Writing from the epicenter of progressive thought, San Francisco, I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its “one percent,” namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the “rich.”

From the Occupy movement to the demonization of the rich embedded in virtually every word of our local newspaper, the San Francisco Chronicle, I perceive a rising tide of hatred of the successful one percent. There is outraged public reaction to the Google buses carrying technology workers from the city to the peninsula high-tech companies which employ them. We have outrage over the rising real-estate prices which these “techno geeks” can pay. We have, for example, libelous and cruel attacks in the Chronicle on our number-one celebrity, the author Danielle Steel, alleging that she is a “snob” despite the millions she has spent on our city’s homeless and mentally ill over the past decades.

This is a very dangerous drift in our American thinking. Kristallnacht was unthinkable in 1930; is its descendent “progressive” radicalism unthinkable now?

For those who don’t already know: Kristallnacht was a giant anti-Semitic riot, organized by the Nazi government, that left nearly 100 Jews in Germany and Austria murdered and resulted in the incarceration of some tens of thousands more in concentration camps. It was an act of coordinated barbarism done in service of the Nazis’ ultimate goal, the expulsion (and, later, elimination) of Europe’s Jewish population.

American progressives, on the other hand, would like to see Tom Perkins pay more in taxes.

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    So the richest 1% are being rounded up, put into ghettos, put into cattle cars, sent to work camps where they are either being executed or worked and starved to death. Got it. Who knew??
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

So the richest 1% are being rounded up, put into ghettos, put into cattle cars, sent to work camps where they are either being executed or worked and starved to death. Got it. Who knew??

thank you, gimmie

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Wow! "The 1% are treated like Jews in Nazi Germany"-- I don't even think "hyperbole" covers that one. image
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    a lot of people are spoiled little shitheads & they are not all 1%ers. if the 1% here in the usa are treated like jews in nazi germany then i am treated like a fucking king?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I've said this before, but why do we segment this down to just the U.S.? I'd be willing to bet almost every one of us posting on this board are in the top 1% when it comes to the world population as a whole.

So when we're complaining about the 1% we really are complaining about ourselves.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    sounds like Howard Hughes and his germ'o'phobia ....maybe I could help him out and transfer his $millions into my acct. just to ease the pain of all his wealth :))
    Godfather.
  • Options
    i can not imagine the burden of being a bazillionaire.

i guess it's true. mo money, mo problems...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    bunch of cry baby bullshit from the rich. i'd trade 'em bank accounts any fucking day

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    Hmmmm....more than half my family died in the Nazi death camps. I don't think that any of them were 1%ers.

Or were they???!!!
  • Options
    Perkins is obviously an idiot, but I think he speaks from a growing concern that some wealthy people might be germinating.

At some point in time... is it unfathomable to think that the minions might take to pulling rich people out of their homes once the middle class is extinguished and countless dwell near the poverty line with limited access to very few resources? It has been done before: various successful civilizations have collapsed from decadence and corruption.

Perkins won't live to see it so he shouldn't concern himself too much. His great (or great great) grandchildren might have a reason to be concerned though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Let us all shed a tear for the 1%'s victim mentality!
  • Options

Let us all shed a tear for the 1%'s victim mentality!

Boo hoo image

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    they should pull themselves up by the bootstraps and solve their issues themselvs.

suck it up and quit bitching.

i suppose it could be worse, i mean they could actually be forced to pay taxes or something.

• Options
    my wallet is basically overflowing as are my bank accounts & investments. holy fucking shit this is nazi germany. please pass the smashed potatoes

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

they should pull themselves up by the bootstraps and solve their issues themselvs.

i suppose it could be worse, i mean they could actually be forced to pay taxes or something.

"they should pull themselves up by the bootstraps"

Sort of a reverse Horacio Alger story. Good one, gimme! image

• Options
    brianlux said:

"they should pull themselves up by the bootstraps"

Sort of a reverse Horacio Alger story. Good one, gimme! image

seriously. that is what they say to the poor and working poor. fuck these assholes.

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Hmmmmm... let's see....
    Being asked to pay more in taxes or.... getting herded into a cattle car and shipped to a camp to starve then being gassed in the chambers of Auschwitz and dumped into a mass grave.
    Yeah... i sort of see the similarities.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    To be fair ... Ahhh ... Well, I bet it costs him $20M a year in operating expenses to run his super yaught

Hey! You scratched my anchor!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cGD-tUsySPs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcGD-tUsySPs
  • Options
    Jason P said:

To be fair ... Ahhh ... Well, I bet it costs him $20M a year in operating expenses to run his super yaught

Yeah, but he shoulda known that the solid gold anchors scratch easily... Duh.
    i think the real travesty is he had to get his daughter the Mercedes SL500... with the STOCK WHEELS!!!... for her sixteenth birthday!!! Horrible parenting... he should go to prison for Child Abuse.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo said:

Jason P said:

Yeah, but he shoulda known that the solid gold anchors scratch easily... Duh.
    i think the real travesty is he had to get his daughter the Mercedes SL500... with the STOCK WHEELS!!!... for her sixteenth birthday!!! Horrible parenting... he should go to prison for Child Abuse.

The majority of the uber rich have come by their fortunes by birth or marriage. Sadly, they have no authentic context to place their great fortune into perspective. In reality, the mockery you speak of is not that far removed from the household stress they might experience.

As much as I envy their box seats and awesome vacations... I'm not sure I would trade my life for theirs for any cost. And I say this not so much that I think their life isn't wonderful... I say this because I'm happy with my life (family, friends, and lifestyle).

If you never experience a bad time... you'd never know what a good time is.
  • Options
    Cosmo said:

Hmmmmm... let's see....
    Being asked to pay more in taxes or.... getting herded into a cattle car and shipped to a camp to starve then being gassed in the chambers of Auschwitz and dumped into a mass grave.

I get your point, but nobody is really "asked" to pay more in taxes.

• Options
    how can anybody ever, ever, compare their perceived situation too that of what the 6 million european jews, gypsys, homosexuals, etc experienced during WWII? as soon as someone does that, and claims to be so persecuted, they give up any credibility that they may have had.

• Options
    know1 said:

Cosmo said:

Hmmmmm... let's see....

So what is your point here?
  • Options

know1 said:

Cosmo said:

Hmmmmm... let's see....

That using the term "asked" sure softens up the act of requiring people to pay more taxes.

• Options
    know1 said:

know1 said:

Cosmo said:

Hmmmmm... let's see....

That using the term "asked" sure softens up the act of requiring people to pay more taxes.

Taxes are necessary. Your country's infrastructure- not to mention institutions such as education and health- need funding.

You don't think really rich people should be demanded to pay their fair share of taxes?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Taxes are necessary. Your country's infrastructure- not to mention institutions such as education and health- need funding.

You don't think really rich people should be demanded to pay their fair share of taxes?

I don't think I understand the concept of "fair share", but I do know that people are never "asked" to pay more taxes. They are required to do so by law.

We also fund a ton more than infrastructure, education and health....like a more than decade-long military operations.
    Post edited by know1 on

• Options
    edited January 2014
    know1 said:

I don't think I understand the concept of "fair share", but I do know that people are never "asked" to pay more taxes. They are required to do so by law.

We also fund a ton more than infrastructure, education and health....like a more than decade-long military operations.

If you are going to get caught up on symantics, rather than context, then I'll change the comment to this:
    Hmmmmm... let's see....
    Being suggested to pay more in taxes or.... getting herded into a cattle car and shipped to a camp to starve then being gassed in the chambers of Auschwitz and dumped into a mass grave.
    There. Happy?

Post edited by Cosmo on
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    know1 said:

I never made an inclusive list of what your tax dollars do for your country.

Do I really need to reference a few tax breaks that benefit the 'rich' to illustrate what I meant by 'fair share'? I'm pretty sure you do understand the point- I think you are just being antagonistic.
  • Options
    Yeah, we sure get a lot of posts on AMT that seem to be more about being contrary than actually supporting a substantial thought. It's one thing to have a strong opinion- even if it can easily shot down- but when it's just about being argumentative- that's just a game some like to play. Personally, I don't even mind a little sarcasm but arguing for the sheer sake of arguing... ho hum, yawn.