Jason Isbell

dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
edited July 2015 in Other Music
a friend of mine just recommended Southeastern (I'd never heard of him before yesterday). Wow, it is a great album. He is such a great singer/songwriter. Anyone have any other suggestions on his music to try?

I have never been able to get into DBT, but I am willing to give them another shot as well.
Post edited by dr122931 on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited January 2014
    He has a couple other solo albums that are pretty similar to Southeastern.

He's no longer a member, but the new DBT album is pretty slick.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Go backwards. His first album isn't the greatest IMO but the following 3 are. I believe southeastern is his 4th album.

Actually I don't think SE is like the other albums. SE is more acoustic and musical as Jason plays a lot more acoustic guitar and his wife plays violin.

All great albums though!
  • White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,811
    He's pretty awesome, hoping he hit's Dallas soon.
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Southeastern is not only Jason's best record, but it's just one of the greatest Americana albums ever made.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I agree. Great album!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • definitely one of my favorites of '13!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 589
    Best album of 2013, I was blown away by it. Never really got into Drive by Truckers but this album is a classic.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    dr122931 said:

a friend of mine just recommended this album (I'd never heard of him before yesterday). Wow, it is a great album. He is such a great singer/songwriter. Anyone have any other suggestions on his music to try?

I have never been able to get into DBT, but I am willing to give them another shot as well.

i second red lukin and chimpat's claims. sirens of the ditch is 1, southeastern is 1a, and was best record of 13. the 2nd and 3rd records are both good, just not great like 1 and 4. the live album and ep are both really good, especially his cover of van's into the mystic. as far as his truckers songs (he only had about 10)... outfit, goddamn lonely love, danko/manuel, and decoration day are head and shoulders above the rest. others would include never gonna change. i am not one of those others. i was worried sobriety wouldn't suit him, clearly i was wrong. i liked his explanation that when he was drinking, he really only had a 2 hour window each day, right after he woke up, during which he could write songs.

and i'd recommend giving the truckers another shot, too. try zip city, opening act, gravity's gone and monument valley.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    my wife just turned a friend on to jason. the friend has now bought/downloaded everything jason has ever done..........and is thinking of a jason isbell tattoo :))
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    Love this album
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    If you want a crash course pick up Live From Alabama. It cover his DBT songs along with most of his best solo songs up to Southeastern, which was also my favorite rekkid of last year. Pretty laughable that it wasn't up for a Grammy but of course the Grammys are laughable.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • hammahamma Posts: 88
    One of my favorite albums of the last year. I got turned on to it by recommendations from the facebook groups and Dave Hause , (my other favorite album Devour) kept talking about it in interviews. Here we rest has some good songs too, I need to check out the rest of his catalogs and can't wait for him to come to Boston.
    Holy necro bump, Batman!!! But I just have to chime in and say how great this album is. Probably the most honest music I've ever heard. Nothin flashy, nothing groundbreaking, just great amazingly well written and performed tunes, that go for the gut.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Elephant is a top 3 Isbell tune.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380

Elephant is a top 3 Isbell tune.

my buddy is in the #2 video....makes me bawl, every time.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    If you like Isbell... check out a band called American Aquarium.
    just saw them live last week.... isbell produced the album before their most recent.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited February 2015
    Ordered the Austin City Limits dvd for $10. I have the episode dvr'd and it has become one of my absolute favorites, so I'm pretty pumped.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    ComeToTX said:

If you want a crash course pick up Live From Alabama. It cover his DBT songs along with most of his best solo songs up to Southeastern, which was also my favorite rekkid of last year. Pretty laughable that it wasn't up for a Grammy but of course the Grammys are laughable.

Live from Bama is a little too country for me, but oddly, I love Southeastern
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    edited February 2015
    he's recording in march.
  • crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    Seen him a few weeks ago, great show as always. Not nearly the rock show of yesteryears but fantastic all the same. Said he was hoping to have new album out by summers end. Wonder if he'll stick to the mellow songs or bring back the rock.

He and his wife are expecting, so that may actually slow down his touring some. That fella is on the road ALL the time. Catch him when you can folks.
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    edited March 2015
    crowes74 said:

Seen him a few weeks ago, great show as always. Not nearly the rock show of yesteryears but fantastic all the same. Said he was hoping to have new album out by summers end. Wonder if he'll stick to the mellow songs or bring back the rock.

He and his wife are expecting, so that may actually slow down his touring some. That fella is on the road ALL the time. Catch him when you can folks.

yeah, i was also thinking a first baby will probably keep him off the road and might even delay the album release til he's ready to tour behind it. and he's gotta be spent. this southeastern tour is going on 3 years now. it's like pearl jam's ten tour. i'm going to the rochester show w/craig finn in may, but thinking of doing a 2nd show in case i'm right. he's played around here so often i won't know how to take a year off from it.

*cometotx below me is right, i guess it hasn't been 3. i was thinking 2013,14,15.
    Post edited by spnoone on
    3 years? It's only been out since June 2013. He's been on tour pretty much constantly since 2001.

He starts recording tomorrow. I'm guessing he tours on it all summer and then takes a few months off through the holidays.
    edited March 2015
    Loving the ACL dvd. Highly recommended. It's basic, but is full of great tunes and there's a cool little interview and Super 8 soundcheck. One seen that I thought was sweet, was when they are backstage prepping to walk out and his wife is helping fix his in ear monitors. They didn't interact much during the show, but I thought that was a nice touch to show their relationship.

Probably gonna dig a little deeper into DBT. Loved Southern Rock Opera since the day I snagged it years ago, based solely on the album cover and some of the song titles. The rest of their stuff has always been spotty to me. Probably and albums worth of tunes that I really dig.

Can't wait for him to cycle back around here on a tour. My growing interest in him came about a week late. He played pretty close on Valentine's Day. Would've made a great gift, as the wife really digs him too. Can't imagine I'll have to wait too long, and I bet his child's gonna have a very interesting upbringing on the road.

Post edited by DewieCox on
  • crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    From what I got they planned on 4 weeks to get record finished. I don't think its consecutive weeks. Think 2 on then a bit of a break and 2 more if needed. He said he dislikes studio time a time or two at shows and doesn't like to be in longer than necessary. Sounded like songs mostly finished going in from what he said in st.louis last month too. Excited to hear new tunes!!
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I picked up a ticket to see him at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester NY in May. I'm looking forward to that show and hoping to hear some new songs.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    This is a good read. I'm really looking forward to the new album. I'm still not really a fan of DBT, though I do respect them and I love the isbell songs. http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-most-gut-wrenching-jason-isbell-songs-with-guest-commentary-by-jason-isbell/
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    not too familiar with him, heard one or two songs, sounded solid. I know he's opening up for MMJ in July in Maryland
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643

not too familiar with him, heard one or two songs, sounded solid. I know he's opening up for MMJ in July in Maryland

This will be an amazing concert
  • milanmilan Posts: 447
    Saw him support Ryan Adams a few years ago and was gosmacked. An absolute genius. Seen him solo, with his missus and with the 400 unit - all shows were gems. Missed a show he did in a Highgate (North London) pub between Ryan shows in London and by all accounts he played for over two and half hours and held the place spellbound. New album is also brilliant.
    '06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
  • crashing88crashing88 Posts: 196
    Indeed! Another show is when he's playing Reno with Dawes opening (8/9) and they'll both be supporting their new albums. Man it would be incredible. They've even got Duane Betts as their touring guitarist! Really wish I could make that one but I'll have to settle for when he comes to Atlanta in October. Wish Dawes would make a stop here too.
    May 30th said:

This will be an amazing concert