Options

PJ Bootleg Review Blog (Columbia 2016 Review Added!)

Comments

• Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,912
    edited March 2014

As odd as LA2 was, I have to say that I actually think the boot sounds pretty damn good! Obviously LA1 was the better night but they were both awesome - as they were live!!

LA2 was my only show. I also have the boot, plus SD and LA1 boots. Looking at the review of LA2, one would have thought that in a year itt was raining vaginas, I got hit in the head by a falling penis. It is hard to reconcile that review and the great feeling I had coming out of the Sports Arena. A guy did collapse in front of Ed during Future Days and I think it is hard for a person to keep one's composure with a lot less than that going on in front of you. I'm guessing they inserted Evenflow after Future Days so Ed could go and find out what the heck was going on with that aforementioned collapsed guy (during the long solo). I think that's exactly what he did. Reported back to the crowd after Evenflow. The Sirens thing was unfortunate. When Ed started strumming after Mike's solo, the guitar sounded like Ed had stepped on the AFLAC duck. May Ed's tech's career rest in peace. I thought the songs sounded great. With the band mixing up so many songs across so many shows, I think it is a miracle that they get any of them completely right. Saw the Eagles a couple of months later in the LA Forum (PJ- please play the Forum next time), and their set doesn't vary from night to night. So it is meticulously rehearsed. A bit sterile. A different kind of show. PJ isn't that. So the hamburger doesn't look like it does in the TV commercial. But the show (including LA2) does have this incredible personal touch. The songs came off totally heartfelt. They sounded good and the boot sounds good too. So my take on this is that a PJ show probably shouldn't be examined too closely in a microscope. I think fun and experience comes before perfection. So to me, I thought LA2 was great and the boot is great to have and listen to.
    Post edited by Veddernarian on
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289

As odd as LA2 was, I have to say that I actually think the boot sounds pretty damn good! Obviously LA1 was the better night but they were both awesome - as they were live!!

LA2 was my only show. I also have the boot, plus SD and LA1 boots. Looking at the review of LA2, one would have thought that in a year itt was raining vaginas, I got hit in the head by a falling penis. It is hard to reconcile that review and the great feeling I had coming out of the Sports Arena. A guy did collapse in front of Ed during Future Days and I think it is hard for a person to keep one's composure with a lot less than that going on in front of you. I'm guessing they inserted Evenflow after Future Days so Ed could go and find out what the heck was going on with that aforementioned collapsed guy (during the long solo). I think that's exactly what he did. Reported back to the crowd after Evenflow. The Sirens thing was unfortunate. When Ed started strumming after Mike's solo, the guitar sounded like Ed had stepped on the AFLAC duck. May Ed's tech's career rest in peace. I thought the songs sounded great. With the band mixing up so many songs across so many shows, I think it is a miracle that they get any of them completely right. Saw the Eagles a couple of months later in the LA Forum (PJ- please play the Forum next time), and their set doesn't vary from night to night. So it is meticulously rehearsed. A bit sterile. A different kind of show. PJ isn't that. So the hamburger doesn't look like it does in the TV commercial. But the show (including LA2) does have this incredible personal touch. The songs came off totally heartfelt. They sounded good and the boot sounds good too. So my take on this is that a PJ show probably shouldn't be examined too closely in a microscope. I think fun and experience comes before perfection. So to me, I thought LA2 was great and the boot is great to have and listen to.
    I just want to say I respect your opinion, but please don't take my LA2 review too personal. If you were at LA 2, much like every pj gig, I bet it was a blast. I understand your view on the boot, but honesty there are many other boots that are much better performance wise with mixed up sets, that are every bit as heartfelt as LA 2. If you enjoy the boot, that's awesome. I tried to be fair to what I heard on the boot and report my thoughts. It's not a stab towards the band or anyone at the gig. I'm not going to mislead people and tell them LA 2 was a good boot only because the band put on a heartfelt show, for simply the reason they almost always do.

2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    edited March 2014
    Nice call on the Calgary boot. Despite the less than stellar review here I went ahead and ordered it as I loved the set list. I should have listened. Great show I am sure if you were there but out of the 10 shows I ordered boots for this is definitely the sloppiest. I have a feeling this is one that won't get into the rotation for me despite the great set list. Worst version of Rats I have heard from any boot. Timing is horrible for the whole band, especially Ed.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    A quick bump.

My counterparts TamaDrummer91 and boyo79 have provided excellent reviews of all the 2013 boots. Whenever I receive my box set I will also be divulging those so all three of us have a review of the most recent boots.

The blog has also been filling up with reviews from other tours as well. Hope everyone enjoys.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Thanks for this Thread kind of makes it a bit 'Easier' to choose which Bootlegs to Buy.
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806

So my take on this is that a PJ show probably shouldn't be examined too closely in a microscope. I think fun and experience comes before perfection. So to me, I thought LA2 was great and the boot is great to have and listen to.

I'm kinda glad these guys do analyze the bootlegs. Your reaction in part makes it seem as if they did a concert review. I understand what you say about the effect it has on an artist to see someone collepse in front of them. But having many makes on a bootleg makes me look for another one if I don't have the option to listen to them all.
    They release all the shows, so it's kind of handy for people to know what would be their best pick. In the end you know it's only an opinion by someone you can either use it or ignore it.

I've heard the boot and I'm not gonna buy the actual CD because there are better boots to have in my reck.
    Even so it would have been great to be there as it always is. It's no surprise you had a good night.
    I would have gladly used your ticket. :D
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    Auckland 2014 review is up. An all around good show, looking forward to the rest of BDO 14.

http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/auckland-2014.html

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466

Auckland 2014 review is up. An all around good show, looking forward to the rest of BDO 14.

http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/auckland-2014.html

Thanks for writing these reviews! Its much appreciated!
  • Options
    Gold Coast 2014 review....this one didn't do much for me. Ed's vocals were very weak.
    http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/gold-coast-2014.html

Ian's got some great 2003 reviews worth checking out too. The man's covered almost all 2003, that's no easy task.

• Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260

Maybe its a bit overstated but I really enjoyed every 13' show - more than most in recent years & I think having a fantastic record like LB in the mix is why.

I'm thinking along those lines too Chris. People can say what they want about Ed occasionally sounding fragile, the shows last year are at a new level for PJ. Not only did they sound amazing but went out of their way to make the shows interesting and unique plus they stepped up some of the personal requests to add some more intimacy and create special memories for those involved. I almost feel Ed has been inspired a lot by the way Springsteen does his shows over the years and has chosen to mimic his blueprint a little. Can't wait to see them in July!! Anyway, I just popped in to thank you guys for the blog. It's given me something else to read while I've been off work and I love reading about PJ shows.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited March 2014

I just want to say I respect your opinion, but please don't take my LA2 review too personal. If you were at LA 2, much like every pj gig, I bet it was a blast. I understand your view on the boot, but honesty there are many other boots that are much better performance wise with mixed up sets, that are every bit as heartfelt as LA 2. If you enjoy the boot, that's awesome. I tried to be fair to what I heard on the boot and report my thoughts. It's not a stab towards the band or anyone at the gig. I'm not going to mislead people and tell them LA 2 was a good boot only because the band put on a heartfelt show, for simply the reason they almost always do.

I'm still making my way thru the bootlegs from the second leg & I just finished listening to the LA 2 boot.
    I have to say that your review of this boot is right on the mark!!
    This boot starts off rough and it only goes downhill from there.
    It's probably one of the roughest boots I've ever listened to!
    Thanks so much to all the guys involved in "The Last Exit"...
    this really is a valuable resource & I always look forward to hearing your thoughts on the boots!!
    Now...On to OAKLAND
    :-c
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

Gold Coast 2014 review....this one didn't do much for me. Ed's vocals were very weak.
    http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/gold-coast-2014.html

Ian's got some great 2003 reviews worth checking out too. The man's covered almost all 2003, that's no easy task.

14 boots left to go through for 2003....
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Thanks for all the kind words guys! Glad the blog can be used and serve a purpose.

Melbourne 2014 review. I really liked this boot a lot. Worth checking out.
    http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/04/melbourne-2014.html

• Options
    I swear, it seems every major show that I know people are going to check out (Phoenix, San Diego 2013) usually turns up being the shows that I find to be just average. I bet people think I hate PJ :)

This is one of those shows that everyone loved because of the setlist and length, but it pales in comparison to the Melbourne 14 boot IMO. Please check it out instead.

Sydney 14
    http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/04/sydney-2014.html

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    edited April 2014
    I guess the bootleg must have been stolen from someones private box, if its that good....
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

I guess the bootleg must have been stolen from someones private box, if its that good....

?

I'm just stating which I preferred.

• Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Hey there,

Gotta say not sure I agree with you so much on the Sydney review. Having been to Melbourne and Sydney the latter was mind blowing.

I'm disappointed in the bootleg recordings because the crowd was so strong yet hardly picked up on the recordings. At times drowned Ed out. Particularly during sirens, small town, betterman and black.

Purely as a bootleg you may be right. And I appreciate that is your angle you're working on. But in my opinion, in terms of shows, Sydney blew Melbourne out of the water.

Worth a listen. you can hear Ed during betterman, elderly woman and black just praising the audience. He was in awe.

Good luck with your reviews. I enjoy reading them.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    pjfan31 said:

Hey there,

Gotta say not sure I agree with you so much on the Sydney review. Having been to Melbourne and Sydney the latter was mind blowing.

I'm disappointed in the bootleg recordings because the crowd was so strong yet hardly picked up on the recordings. At times drowned Ed out. Particularly during sirens, small town, betterman and black.

Purely as a bootleg you may be right. And I appreciate that is your angle you're working on. But in my opinion, in terms of shows, Sydney blew Melbourne out of the water.

Worth a listen. you can hear Ed during betterman, elderly woman and black just praising the audience. He was in awe.

Good luck with your reviews. I enjoy reading them.

Hey, thanks for reading. I would probably agree being there in person, Sydney would be better. I could tell how much fun and enjoyment Ed was having. Shows and boots don't always equate to one another, and reflect one another. I would have been stoked to have been at either. I just preferred one boot over the other. I'm sure some will enjoy Sydney boot more than Melbourne for their own reasons. That's great! I'm glad we all hear things different and approach boots differently.

• Options
    Just an update, I don't think I will keep posting reminders in this thread for new boot reviews for the new boots coming out. They will certainly continue to be written, but I wont update this thread. Maybe a bump every now and again though :)

Thanks again guys for reading and following along. You make this worth while! Many more reviews to come.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,715
    Great job... Your site is a daily stop for me.
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466

Just an update, I don't think I will keep posting reminders in this thread for new boot reviews for the new boots coming out. They will certainly continue to be written, but I wont update this thread. Maybe a bump every now and again though :)

Thanks again guys for reading and following along. You make this worth while! Many more reviews to come.

Thanks so much for writing the reviews! They are much appreciated!
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Thank you for sharing your reviews I have enjoyed reading them :)
    Which was your favourite Bdo set. At one point you said Melbourne but Perth and Adelaide were yet to be reviewed. Thanks
  • Options
    2003 tour is now complete. It's been a long one, the last leg of 35 shows has taken me about 6 weeks. I plan to start on leg 2 of last years Lightning Bolt tour in a week or two as I haven't listened to that leg (or the BDO tour yet) but if anyone has any requests for reviews before I start those boots let me know and I'll try and fit them in!

• Options

Which was your favourite Bdo set. At one point you said Melbourne but Perth and Adelaide were yet to be reviewed. Thanks

All BDO are up on the site. Melbourne and Perth were my favorites. Thanks for reading!

• Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777

All BDO are up on the site. Melbourne and Perth were my favorites. Thanks for reading!
    Thank you I enjoyed the Perth too :)
  • Options
    So now the dust has settled on the 2003 tour for me here's my favourite boots:

Australia/Japan
    Sydney I
    Adelaide
    Melbourne I
    Osaka

North America Leg 1
    West Palm Beach
    Cleveland
    Uniondale
    State College

North America Leg 2
    Missoula
    Dallas
    Bonner Springs
    Detroit II
    Mansfield I
    New York I
    Mansfield III
    Benaroya Hall

• Options
    Just a well natured bump. Lots of reviews in their designated tours near the top left of the blog. Click the year for boot reviews of shows in that tour.

We have close to 300 reviews for your convienence and use. 2013 boot reviews from Ian and myself are the ones I'm most proud of, and Brandon's coverage of Euro 12 in the 2012 section is spot on, if I may say so. Thanks for reading.

• Options
    A little bump never hurt anyone! Thanks again to all those visiting the site everyday. Hopefully my writing isn't too dry. I tend to prefer Ian and Brandon's style of critique and praises of boots. It's the political science major in me, 6 years worth makes your writing style a bit dry.

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

A little bump never hurt anyone! Thanks again to all those visiting the site everyday. Hopefully my writing isn't too dry. I tend to prefer Ian and Brandon's style of critique and praises of boots. It's the political science major in me, 6 years worth makes your writing style a bit dry.

Hey, anyone who is passionate and puts in the hard work for something they love, deserves a read! Love the work you guys do, even if I don't always agree.
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    I enjoy reading the reviews. Keep up the good work!

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)