Options

PJ Bootleg Review Blog (Columbia 2016 Review Added!)

Comments

• Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Many thanks to you guys for all the kind words about the blog. We three are all humbled that you can find it useful. Many more reviews to come in time. I listened to almost 40 boots in just over 3 weeks to boost the number of reviews on the blog before it was announced here. I gotta slow down some. :)
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    6 new bootleg reviews added today. I hear Cville, NC, and Voodoo are coming out next week officially (again). All three have been reviewed by Boyo79 and myself on The Last Exit blog!

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Agreed. Great site, and great info. Thanks for the good work!
    2003 - Santa Barbara
    2005 - Vancouver
    2006 - San Diego, Los Angeles I & II, Santa Barbara
    2008 - Mansfield II, Westwood (VH1 Honors the Who)
    2009 - Universal City III
    2013 - Los Angeles I & II
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Thanks for the positive feedback, it's much appreciated. Hope everyone enjoys it and can get some sort of use out of it!
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Love your blog!
    I read ALL your reviews. There are now som Boots I really hope you are going to give A listen and a review afterwards:
    The 4 Philly shows from 2009
    The London o2 arena boot from 2009
    And the last shows from the 2012 European Tour (especially Copenhagen and Stockholm)

Keep up the good work
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Roeghmann said:

Love your blog!
    I read ALL your reviews. There are now som Boots I really hope you are going to give A listen and a review afterwards:
    And the last shows from the 2012 European Tour (especially Copenhagen and Stockholm)

Keep up the good work

I've done all the '09 shows but only had a small review on the London o2 show. I felt there was great performances of Immortality, Rats, Black, Footsteps, Love Reign O'er Me, Leaving Here and Porch. I didn't like the keys on Release and The Fixer, the mix on them here was wrong IMO. On my notes I've listened to this boot twice and both times noted that about Release and The Fixer plus the messed up intro to Light Years. And both times noted how great Rats, Black and Porch were! Overall I thought it was a decent boot but not a classic by any means.

I've listened to the four Philly shows on numerous occassions but never done any reviews, I'll have to correct that soon! I've just finished the Euro '10 tour and debating which tour to start next (US leg 2 '03 or Canada '11), maybe I'll do those Philly shows first.

I don't believe I did reviews for much of the 2012 tour when listening to them last year but the Oslo and Copenhagen were amongst my favourites of the that tour.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Roeghmann said:

Love your blog!

Keep up the good work

YLed is about to review those 2012 shows actually. He has done all of 2012 in order, and plans on finishing the tour. He did some excellent reviews on '12 boots if I may say so.

• Options
    boyo79 said:

Roeghmann said:

Love your blog!

Keep up the good work

I've done all the '09 shows but only had a small review on the London o2 show. I felt there was great performances of Immortality, Rats, Black, Footsteps, Love Reign O'er Me, Leaving Here and Porch. I didn't like the keys on Release and The Fixer, the mix on them here was wrong IMO. On my notes I've listened to this boot twice and both times noted that about Release and The Fixer plus the messed up intro to Light Years. And both times noted how great Rats, Black and Porch were! Overall I thought it was a decent boot but not a classic by any means.

I've listened to the four Philly shows on numerous occassions but never done any reviews, I'll have to correct that soon! I've just finished the Euro '10 tour and debating which tour to start next (US leg 2 '03 or Canada '11), maybe I'll do those Philly shows first.

I don't believe I did reviews for much of the 2012 tour when listening to them last year but the Oslo and Copenhagen were amongst my favourites of the that tour.

I would have to agree with my friend here that London o2 2009 was a bit too hyped. From what I recall the boot made such a splash because it was one of the better sounding 2009 boots, much less harsh and semi muddy like the others. The performance was average at best and the boot mix is still nothing to get excited over (2011-2013 blows it away).

I have listened to the Philly gigs from 09 and likewise never wrote a review. I would be curious to see Boyo79s take on those! I remember thinking night one and four were the better ones, but I felt as a whole, all four shows were sloppy. Killer setlists but the performance didn't match them.

I concur again with Boyo79, Oslo and Copenhagen are certainly top tier, high quality shows from 2012. There are not too many clunkers in 2012. Stockholm too is great, although I think I would rank both Oslo and Copenhagen higher. Stockholm has a weird set flow at times that kind of deters me, but getting past that it's a wonderful gig.

• Options

boyo79 said:

Roeghmann said:

Love your blog!

Keep up the good work

I would have to agree with my friend here that London o2 2009 was a bit too hyped. From what I recall the boot made such a splash because it was one of the better sounding 2009 boots, much less harsh and semi muddy like the others. The performance was average at best and the boot mix is still nothing to get excited over (2011-2013 blows it away).

I have listened to the Philly gigs from 09 and likewise never wrote a review. I would be curious to see Boyo79s take on those! I remember thinking night one and four were the better ones, but I felt as a whole, all four shows were sloppy. Killer setlists but the performance didn't match them.

I concur again with Boyo79, Oslo and Copenhagen are certainly top tier, high quality shows from 2012. There are not too many clunkers in 2012. Stockholm too is great, although I think I would rank both Oslo and Copenhagen higher. Stockholm has a weird set flow at times that kind of deters me, but getting past that it's a wonderful gig.
    Agree with your comments on the Philly shows, I've had the same feelings towards them. But I'll give them another play this week

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    That 09' tour was mixed wonderfully to my ears. Just need to take these in with a decent set up. It does make a difference.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Post edited because it only stated the obvious. I fucking love PJ boots.
    Post edited by TamaDrummer91 on

• Options
    Please check it out and share with others, and of course - always open to any feedback!
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    BUMP...
    Some GREAT new bootleg reviews on "The Last Exit"
    EXCELLENT JOB GUYS!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    Thanks, guys! A great source!
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    Maybe its a bit overstated but I really enjoyed every 13' show - more than most in recent years & I think having a fantastic record like LB in the mix is why.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    derbydave said:

BUMP...
    Some GREAT new bootleg reviews on "The Last Exit"
    EXCELLENT JOB GUYS!!!

Many thanks for the kind remarks. We appreciate it.

As 2013 boots continue, every one of them will be reviewed. Can't wait to hear Dallas and OKC this weds!

• Options
    Dallas 13 review is up! I really enjoyed this one. The performance is mostly tight, a few small flubs, but it has a wonderful vibe and feel to it as a whole.

http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/02/dallas-2013.html

• Options
    MMPoochMMPooch New Jersey Posts: 68
    Thanks for such a great source, it's very appreciated! I'm looking forward to your reviews of San Diego, that set list looks amazing!
  • Options
    Dallas, what a great show, and one that sadly many will overlook due to "not as many songs played as other shows" or "not as many rarities as other shows on the tour", but a true diamond in the ruff. Pendulum->Nothingman->Can't Keep!? Seriously, how do people shit their pants all over Release or Long Road being played in the first three but not that!? Sorry, but those have been played how many times, and Can't Keep? Maybe 25 times? And they say not enough rarities.
  • Options
    Agreed - there are so many boots that are severely overlooked and that people never hear because they only listen and judge a boot by a set list or "rarities" played. Many boots suffer greatly from being heard because of the "not as many rarities played" syndrome. Some boots are unfairly heralded as THE boots to listen to or own solely because of a set list. The set list is a small contributing factor to a good boot, but there are so many other factors that distinguish an average boot from an excellent boot. Of course it is all very subjective, but hopefully this blog helps you distinguish the average boots from the excellent boots on more of an objective level.

Thanks for the feedback and please continue to use and enjoy.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Not this listener! This tour is flat out amazing. Last time I went through and listened ro every boot was 09' tour. Something about the energy of a new record, hearing how they play the new songs & incorporate them into their amazing catalog! Keep sharing thoughts with us!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Not this listener! This tour is flat out amazing. Last time I went through and listened ro every boot was 09' tour. Something about the energy of a new record, hearing how they play the new songs & incorporate them into their amazing catalog! Keep sharing thoughts with us!

You know I started off not exactly loving the 13 shows but they have grown on me. Lots of good vibes and energy. Several performances are stellar too. I should have OKC 13 reviewed by late tonight.

• Options
    I think the good vibes, hearing Ed communicate his appreciation, the band finding its footing with these new songs, just makes for exciting listening!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

I think the good vibes, hearing Ed communicate his appreciation, the band finding its footing with these new songs, just makes for exciting listening!

The calibre of the new songs as well makes a huge difference. Lightning Bolt already sounds like it has been in the setlists for years!

• Options
    My enthusiasm, whilst a bit overstated, really different this last tour. I didn't go to any shows and had this weird need to get as close to the tour as possible. So, lots of listening & of course appreciation to be able to do so in the first place.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    j3brow1j3brow1 Posts: 37
    edited February 2014
    I agree. The 2013 NA tour is special. The guys are killing it pretty much every night. I was at the Dallas show. Excelllent show. I want to throw this out there, especially to guys that are listening to and reviewing all the boots. I know of a SMALL adjustment in the signal chain used to record the boots. I can hear the improvement on the Dallas boot. Or am I biased? Anybody else? I have only listened to the 24/96 files. Of course I hear no difference listening to the mp3 versions via SiriusXM in my car. With the Dallas 24/96 files, I am hearing better bass texture, bass lines are more easily discernible, guitar strings are more distinct, cymbals sound more like the real thing. Overall, the instrument separation and clarity is just that much better. I heard these improvements with back n forth comparisons of same song performed on leg 1 vs Dallas, both versions were 24/96. I do not currently own any additional hi-res files from leg 2, that will change soon. Ok, so am I incredibly biased or can anyone else hear a slight improvement with any of the leg 2 shows compared with leg 1???!
    Post edited by j3brow1 on
    the all encompassing trip
  • Options
    j3brow1 said:

I agree. The 2013 NA tour is special. The guys are killing it pretty much every night. I was at the Dallas show. Excelllent show. I want to throw this out there, especially to guys that are listening to and reviewing all the boots. I know of a SMALL adjustment in the signal chain used to record the boots. I can hear the improvement on the Dallas boot. Or am I biased? Anybody else? I have only listened to the 24/96 files. Of course I hear no difference listening to the mp3 versions via SiriusXM in my car. With the Dallas 24/96 files, I am hearing better bass texture, bass lines are more easily discernible, guitar strings are more distinct, cymbals sound more like the real thing. Overall, the instrument separation and clarity is just that much better. I heard these improvements with back n forth comparisons of same song performed on leg 1 vs Dallas, both versions were 24/96. I do not currently own any additional hi-res files from leg 2, that will change soon. Ok, so am I incredibly biased or can anyone else hear a slight improvement with any of the leg 2 shows compared with leg 1???!

I personally do not have that great of an ear for that sort of thing, but don't sell yourself too short in terms of saying it's just bias. I did think that Dallas sounded better than many others in leg 1. Jeff's tone seemed much better to me, and the overall mix had a slighter smoother, less distant feel. I can hear differences in tones, mixing levels, and echoes or reverb (Cville is plagued with reverb and echo). Dallas has a warmer tone, probably because of Jeff. The instruments had a little more bite and texture than leg 1, but not so much that its worth dwelling over. Overall, I don't think your assumptions or observations are too off base, but that's just my opinion. I did notice some of what you're saying when I listened to Dallas. I tend to listen to all my boots when doing a review with good quality in ear monitors.

• Options
    Oklahoma City 13 review is up! I fucking adored this gig.

http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/02/oklahoma-city-2013.html