The beauty in decay

Comments

• AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    edited March 2014
    Well I like the light of doorways, it gives pictures of decaying buildings. So here's an other one...

Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Those are awesome. Where do you take your photos?

Wind this thing up.

edited April 2014
    Thanks for the compliments, I take my photos mostly on vacations, places like Greece, Wales or just around my neighborhood. It depends... My main subject is portrait photography, but without the consent of the people I take photographs off. I will not put them up here.

So here is another one out of Wales...

Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    A lot of feeling in those stones.

I have always wanted to do photography since I got a "decent" camera. Any tips?

Wind this thing up.

Tips for photography... Lets see...
    First thing I suppose is to see what subjects get your attention, this could be buildings, nature, people, what ever...
    Second tip would be.., to look for the look why this subject is special to you.. try to make a picture that show others what makes this a special subject.
    Third tip would be.. Don't be afraid for failure. practice, practice, practice... follow your gut instinct, if it feels right most of the time it gives great pictures.

And last but not least look at the light...and see it.... Maybe these tips are quit vague, but I hope they will help you to start up. if you have more questions I will try to answer them...

Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    Thanks for the tips. Any books you suggest for further suggestions or a place I can reference?

I enjoy your drawings too. Are they charcoal?

Wind this thing up.

edited April 2014
    Well...it depends on what kind of photo's your interested in, I think... To be honest I don't think you can learn how to photograph out of books. But Looking to photos you like, and explore what makes you like them can be helpful. Analyzing those photos in how the photographer uses the light, choose his objects and uses the diaphragm can help you to sharpen your own view, I think ... But as I stated before, experiencing it and practice, helps a lot more. And it doesn't have to cost much in this digital age, accept the time you put into it. In my photography I am a self made woman, So I don't know a lot about the technical stuff. so maybe I'm not the right person to ask...

I'm glad you also like my drawings, thanks for your kind words, the are indeed made with charcoal...

Here are two more... an other pic and drawing...

Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Aafke said:

this one reminds me of a spider. .. but with less eyes. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    edited May 2014
    That's the beauty of any form of art, people can interpret it and give it meaning in so many different ways...

Here is an other pic... called springtime on a graveyard...

Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    edited June 2014
    Well, I like to take pics of humans, in every form... I don't post pics of living humans on this site because of their privacy, but in this case I make an exception ;) ...

I took these ones in the Catacombes of a huge city in Europe...

Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    edited May 2014
    Decay when live goes on...
    Springtime on a graveyard...

Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    edited May 2014
    An other one from that same Graveyard

Looking out from the grave...

Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    Well... these pictures aren't of a building in decay, but I like them anyway... so lets put them up here, and see if you can guess from with famous European building they are... If you think you know it please let me know... Lets start with one...

Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    And the second one...

Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    Last one...

Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    I love the catacombs pictures...they fit your subject matter so perfectly and yet bring such a different dynamic to it all at the same time...very good addition. They're almost too tragic to bare...I love it!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!

I love the catacombs pictures...they fit your subject matter so perfectly and yet bring such a different dynamic to it all at the same time...very good addition. They're almost too tragic to bare...I love it!

Well, thank you for your kind words... I thought so too, about fitting to the subject matter... Here's an other one... I wonder how this persons life came to an end...

Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    edited June 2014
    This one probable is one of the best out of this serie... Fragile Life...

Taking these pictures I wandered what lives these people have led and why they died...
    Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    Well, ... time for an other graveyard pic...

Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    edited June 2014
    Broken glass, birds fly...

Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    Dried-up rose in a grave...

Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    edited June 2014
    Fresh flowers by an old grave...

Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    Once a proud grave... Now a rusty cage with broken glass...I know in this stage i find it more interesting...

Waves_zps6b028461.jpg