Options

Trouble for Christie

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/08/politics/christie-bridge/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- E-mails emerged on Wednesday purportedly from top aides to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie bolstering the case that access lane closures to the George Washington Bridge were borne from a political vendetta against opponents of the governor, and were not the result of an incompetent traffic study as his administration claimed.
"Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee," Bridget Anne Kelly, Christie's deputy chief of staff for legislative and intergovernmental affairs, e-mailed David Wildstein, then the highest-level political appointee representing the state at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
That communication occurred roughly three weeks before the access lanes were closed last September, wreaking havoc on traffic from the New Jersey side of the nation's busiest bridge that crosses into New York.

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Sorry I didn't copy and paste the whole article. It was a mess and this new format gives me a headache.

It's interesting to see the inside of the nasty game of politics.

Here is another article

http://www.northjersey.com/news/christie_kelly_bridge_lane_closures_emails.html
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I thought this thread was going to be about Ben & Jerry's closing down ...
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    man, just when i kinda respected the guy, this surfaces.

punishing the citizens because of a political vendetta??

if this is true, he has to be removed from office and tried for ethics violations. he fucked over a lot of his own citizens over political differences...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    if this were obama people would be burning down the white house...

i am waiting to see how fox news is gonna spin this one...

people died as a result of this little stunt. emergency responders were delayed in getting to emergencies and people dies.

if this is true, and it looks like it is, christie is fucked. this is going to bring him down and ruin his political career. he could be charged with negligent homicide if it is proven that he ordered this traffic issue and people died as a result of it.

this is very, very bad.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    There was just a press release issued with Christie saying he had no knowledge of anything and he condemned the actions of key staffers. Welcome to politics! Welcome to New Jersey!

I would still take him over Corzine...
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/08/chris-christie-outraged-misled-over-traffic-scandal

'...At worst, pressure will now mount on Christie to prove that he had nothing to do with an act of apparent political spite. Kelly, who is one of three deputy chiefs of staff in the governor’s office, remains in post.

Buono lashed out at Christie on Wednesday hours after the emails and texts surfaced, telling the Daily Beast that the governor “runs a paramilitary operation”. She said that from the start she had been convinced the bridge debacle had been “an act of political retribution”.

The new emails also show that the Fort Lee mayor’s desperate cries for help during the four days of the lane closures were coldly rebuffed by Christie’s inner circle. On the first day of the closures, 9 September, Sokolich’s office sent an email to Baroni that pleaded for a phone call on grounds of “urgent matter of public safety in Fort Lee”.

That email was forwarded by Baroni to Wildstein, and in turn to Christie’s top aide, Bridget Kelly. “Did he call him back?” Kelly asks Wildstein.

“Radio silence,” replied Wildstein. “His name comes right after Mayor Fulop”.

Steven Fulop is the Democratic mayor of Jersey City, who has also complained that he was the subject of retaliation by the Christie team after he declined to endorse the governor for re-election.

The new emails underline the desperate attempts made by mayor Sokolich to lift the lane closures. On the second day of lane closures he wrote to Baroni: “The bigger problem is getting the kids to school. Help please. It’s maddening.”

A week later, after the lanes had been reopened at the order of New York governor Andrew Cuomo, who shares joint control of the Port Authority with Christie, the Fort Lee mayor sent another email to Baroni. “We should talk. Someone needs to tell me that the recent traffic debacle was not punitive in nature. The last four reporters that contacted me suggest that the people they are speaking with absolutely believe it to be punishment. Try as I may to dispel these rumours I am having a tough time. A private face-to-face would be important to me. Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to the errors of my ways.”
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    wow, politics at work. I liked Christie, but after this and his private election which cost tax payers 11 mil (after he previously said he would never do something like that) I don't think he should stay around. Hopefully he gets voted out.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Presser in 20 minutes...

http://www.livestream.com/governorchrischristie?utm_source=lsplayer&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=footerlinks or by radio at 101.5 FM or any major media television station.

We expect the Governor to announce resignations of key close staff and advisors and most likely call for an investigation into the potentially criminal incident. At this moment, the State House is surrounded by every major media outlet in the country.
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

• Options
    a5pj said:

wow, politics at work. I liked Christie, but after this and his private election which cost tax payers 11 mil (after he previously said he would never do something like that) I don't think he should stay around. Hopefully he gets voted out.

I hear ya… more politics at work! However, in the governor's defense, the amount of money that the state has "saved" or has become more fiscally stable, is staggering.

• Options

a5pj said:

I hear ya… more politics at work! However, in the governor's defense, the amount of money that the state has "saved" or has become more fiscally stable, is staggering.
    its amazing what cutting benefits for the sick and poor can do for a budget.

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    That's just wrong, and i ''speak'' for the sick and the poor from ...
  • Options
    Fort Lee is a corrupt cesspool, the town must have loved all the additional traffic since the cops there constantly run entrapment scams near the bridge to fund the towns coffers.
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    edited January 2014
    That seemed to be a big push from Rep's this year.
    In NC our gov slipped it into a motorcycle safety bill. - hopefully when he comes back up for reelection people will remember what he did.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    All politicians are crooks. Come on guys, all politicians are rats!!
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    anyone watching his presser...he's cratering...lolz It looks like it will be Christie 2020...
  • Options
    Really? Do you really believe that crap?

a5pj said:

its amazing what cutting benefits for the sick and poor can do for a budget.

• Options
    He is using Obama's main defense ... claim you were unaware and then put heads on spikes.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Another RINO in trouble... I love it.
  • Options

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Works for Obama too
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    unsung said:

I've often wondered about this... 'RINO' (Republican In Name Only). So, maybe you can answer my questions:
    a. What are the standardized requirements to be a 'Real Republican'... and...
    b. Who gets to decide who is a 'Real Republican' and who is not?
    I'm asking you because you must know... since you can identify them. Anyone else who uses the term, 'RINO'... feel free to chime in, too... because, seriously... i want to know.
    Thanx.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Christi was loved by the ultra conservative until he dared to stand with Obama in the Sandy recovery. He instantly became a RINO because he didn't go Cruz on Obama and try to make him look bad in a time of crisis.

Crazy.
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    More trouble.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/politics/christie-feds-investigating-sandy-ads/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"The winning bid of $4.7 million featured Christie and his family in the advertisements while the losing $2.5 million proposal did not feature the Christies."
  • Options
    dignin said:

More trouble.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/politics/christie-feds-investigating-sandy-ads/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"The winning bid of $4.7 million featured Christie and his family in the advertisements while the losing $2.5 million proposal did not feature the Christies."

More NJ politics… Let's see these bids broken out before we convict him. No Bid and High Bid gov't contracts are the norm in this state. Not sure I am buying the Gov office line that it was approved by Fed Gov't because they paid for it, however I find it hard to believe that even a $2mil gap is "apples to apples". If you want to argue that it was a waste of money, ineffective, and self serving for the gov, that's a different story. Criminal… IDK. Sounds like Pallone is just trying to pile on.

Anyway, in a few more years, the Dems will have their state back. Steve Sweeney will be Gov. Should be interesting!

• Options
    Cosmo said:

unsung said:

I've often wondered about this... 'RINO' (Republican In Name Only). So, maybe you can answer my questions:
    I'm asking you because you must know... since you can identify them. Anyone else who uses the term, 'RINO'... feel free to chime in, too... because, seriously... i want to know.
    Thanx.
    Here's what I think. I don't really know for sure because all politicians are crooked, especially the ones with an R next to their name.

Because you can't be a moderate in today's politics (which is why the country is going to Hell in a hand basket), we must label any Republican that isn't a far right, racist asshole.
  • Options
    Cosmo said:

unsung said:

Thanx.
    call up Rush. i think he invented the term.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,686
    what I know is its better to wait for more shit to bubble to the surface. Its all coming to light now. Think he's toast and goes no further than Gov of NJ.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14