Bad Union Contracts will kill the unions

13»

Comments

• When you come back on Thursday, bring up another profession such as yours.

Bring up transport truck drivers that make more money than teachers in our province. In the same spirit of some of the venom you spit on teachers (using brutal stereotypical talk and general disrespect)... talk of how shipping costs are driving up the price of goods that you are tired of paying for. Talk of how awfully hard it must be to sit on your fat ass all day: burping, farting, eating cheezies and drinking Coca-Cola while listening to Sirius Pearl Jam channel. Talk about how many accidents they cause daily. Also talk of how, really, any monkey can drive a truck as long as they get the "circle the 'stop' sign" question right on their licensing test.

To which I will reply: Speedy... I don't care if the costs of goods are high given the responsibility and sacrifices truck drivers must make so we can have our goods from neighbouring provinces and states. Long hours on the roads that we share with them. Long periods of isolation with nobody to speak to. Health problems associated with long sedentary periods of time. These people deserve a wage and benefits that reflect the value they offer society. Sure there are a few bad drivers out there, but overwhelmingly... these people are good people and good workers that should be rewarded for their contributions to society.

Have a nice XMas.
    Will do my friend.
    See you Thursday.
    In the meantime I will do my homework on the belching, farting, cheezy eating truck drivers of your province.
    And you can do your homework on The Chicago Public School teachers.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

• When you come back on Thursday, bring up another profession such as yours.

Bring up transport truck drivers that make more money than teachers in our province. In the same spirit of some of the venom you spit on teachers (using brutal stereotypical talk and general disrespect)... talk of how shipping costs are driving up the price of goods that you are tired of paying for. Talk of how awfully hard it must be to sit on your fat ass all day: burping, farting, eating cheezies and drinking Coca-Cola while listening to Sirius Pearl Jam channel. Talk about how many accidents they cause daily. Also talk of how, really, any monkey can drive a truck as long as they get the "circle the 'stop' sign" question right on their licensing test.

To which I will reply: Speedy... I don't care if the costs of goods are high given the responsibility and sacrifices truck drivers must make so we can have our goods from neighbouring provinces and states. Long hours on the roads that we share with them. Long periods of isolation with nobody to speak to. Health problems associated with long sedentary periods of time. These people deserve a wage and benefits that reflect the value they offer society. Sure there are a few bad drivers out there, but overwhelmingly... these people are good people and good workers that should be rewarded for their contributions to society.

Have a nice XMas.
    Will do my friend.
    See you Thursday.
    In the meantime I will do my homework on the belching, farting, cheezy eating truck drivers of your province.
    And you can do your homework on The Chicago Public School teachers.

My best buddy works as a terminal manager in my town. I asked him for ball park figures. This is what he tells me:

* Unionized long haul drivers make $80,000 to $120,000 per year. With opportunities for OT and benefits.

* Some crappy companies pay $45,000 to $48,000 with opportunities for OT (some offer benefits... others don't).

* If a driver wanted to... he could go up north and make $50,000 in 3 months of work through the winter months driving on the ice highways.

Teachers in my province:

Teachers’ salaries in B.C. for the 60 school districts range from an average starting salary of $47,461 to an average maximum of $75,083.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... cle549616/

Chicago Public School Teachers:

$76,000 (and benefits).

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/12/ ... hers-make/

Speedy... I'm not making judgements here. I just tried to illustrate the fact that when you sling mud about in every general direction... lots of people get dirty. I'm okay with truck drivers making good money. I'm not okay with saying teaching is easy and all teachers suck.

The Chicago PS teachers seem to earn a generous wage given some other really low figures I came across. Given their difficult clientele, I would speculate they earn it. Of course, I would concede that some don't deserve much at all... but can you concede that some deserve every penny and more?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    I'm a member of the three unions. One is UBC local 27, I do most of my work for companies that have signed with the carpenters. I have a card with LIUNA. I hold this card for insurance. I'm a carpenter and if the commercial sector slows hard in the GTA I'll go back to my roots and frame houses with this union. The third is UNIFOR, formerly the CAW. I hold a part time job on the weekends and helped to certify that union years ago. So I guess you can say I know the color of my collar and I'll never wear it or ply my skills for a non-union company ever again.
    Just want to say a few things about what I'm reading here:
    1. The only reason any working citizen, at all, makes a decent living today is because of the work and precedents the unions set.
    2. Ain't no way in hell the rich will give any of us our just deserts for our labors out of the kindness of their corporate, bottom line, greedy, dividend portfolio, conservative/republican, hearts.
    3. your right, many people today can't pay their bills. Probably because decade after decade corporations rack up record profits on the backs of their dwindling, out sourced, low payed, part time, no pensions, no benefits, contract employees...that are so disillusioned and fragmented that they actually blame organized labor for their problems.
    The list could go on but its new years eve and I don't get holidays off very much. Must be all that work I have to do to make ends meet and try to give my wife and kids a glimpse of the so called dream. Happy new year brothers and sisters :D

Never vote for a conservative.
    And keep the lottery for GA, its fair.

In joyous part.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • TalonTedd wrote:
    I'm a member of the three unions. One is UBC local 27, I do most of my work for companies that have signed with the carpenters. I have a card with LIUNA. I hold this card for insurance. I'm a carpenter and if the commercial sector slows hard in the GTA I'll go back to my roots and frame houses with this union. The third is UNIFOR, formerly the CAW. I hold a part time job on the weekends and helped to certify that union years ago. So I guess you can say I know the color of my collar and I'll never wear it or ply my skills for a non-union company ever again.
    1. The only reason any working citizen, at all, makes a decent living today is because of the work and precedents the unions set.
    2. Ain't no way in hell the rich will give any of us our just deserts for our labors out of the kindness of their corporate, bottom line, greedy, dividend portfolio, conservative/republican, hearts.
    3. your right, many people today can't pay their bills. Probably because decade after decade corporations rack up record profits on the backs of their dwindling, out sourced, low payed, part time, no pensions, no benefits, contract employees...that are so disillusioned and fragmented that they actually blame organized labor for their problems.
    The list could go on but its new years eve and I don't get holidays off very much. Must be all that work I have to do to make ends meet and try to give my wife and kids a glimpse of the so called dream. Happy new year brothers and sisters :D

In joyous part.

A nice contribution to this discussion. The three points you numbered are tough to dispute.

And... as much as I liked your perspective... I particularly liked this: And keep the lottery for GA, its fair. Damn rights! :D
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • TalonTedd wrote:

In joyous part.

A nice contribution to this discussion. The three points you numbered are tough to dispute.

And... as much as I liked your perspective... I particularly liked this: And keep the lottery for GA, its fair. Damn rights! :D

Not meaning to derail, but as a 10c member who got shut out of any shows? I say get rid of lottery for tix. It's not fair, when you've got people getting shutout altogether and others winning multiple shows.
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Thanks guys (Back Seat and Thirty Bills) The world ain't ever gonna be perfect but the only way it can ever get close is to have measured discussions by people of goodwill...like we are doing now. I would like to see the lottery weighted. EG never had GA, one time for sure, been to 12 shows through the 10c, good chance, been to 250 shows, less chance. How would that work?

I want to add on more point about what I was saying and I can't believe I didn't do it the first time.
    Listening to songs like UNEMPLOYABLE, GONE, YELLOW LEDBETTER, SLIEGHT OF HAND and others make me respect PJ all the more. They do us all a great service and really endear themselves to the average Joe by singing about the daily struggles, corporate deceit and general all around bullshit the !% have us navigating just to put a decent life together. I Swear, I'll feel my back pocket from time to time because I know they (!%ers) are out to rob me every chance I give them. I can't be grateful enough to the band for keeping it "REAL". And how about the one price fits all for tixs! Who does that? Our club membership comes back every year in some kind of great SWAG. These guys are pure class and I hope when the music is over they all go into politics.

In joyous Part

PS I wrote an ode to the band. It in the poetry forum under "can you feel it" Check it out if you like. Later brothers
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.