Options

PEARL JAM: REISSUE YOUR CATALOG ON VINYL

Comments

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,889
    Zod said:

BTW, isn't this supposed to be a "community" that helps each other? Why does every record seller in the marketplace seem to be asking TOP ebay prices? Not asking for a freebie, but why would anyone buy from someone here when they could probably get it for much lower on the bay? The repressing of expensive records would put the brakes on that nonsense.

Isn't the going prices on Lost Dogs (the marketplace forum) about 10% less than ebay? Not everyone does it, but it's customary to sell it for a bit cheaper as you don't have pay ebay's fees. Both ebay and the lost dogs forum seem to charge around marketplace.

I have all the vinyl and I'm not even willing to sell it at current market prices. How much do you think you'd have to offer me to break up my PJ collection. $1000/record? $2000/record? I'm not sure :) People are selling for market price because they aren't willing to sell it for lower. At $250 maybe they'll sell l02l. At $100 they'd rather keep it. Everyone has their price. I know mine is way higher than market prices :)
    Yeah, I'm not talking about people who listen to their records and love them. I wouldn't sell you my PJ20 colored for $1000 because I dig it immensely and listen to it weekly. I'm talking about all the sealed copies. Those aren't being used. Most of the prices I see here and the quotes I've received from board members have been much higher than ebay prices. I just would have figured you'd get some sort of median price here from people who willingly want to sell to another fan, but oh well.

Also, forget boxset fancy crap. Just release a repressing that sounds good. Trying to complicate things with extras is probably what is holding it all up. Original everything with a different matrix number to differentiate it from the original. Like I said before, so many smaller bands manage to do this on a regular basis. I just don't get why PJ couldn't do this tomorrow(or preferably yesterday).

Last thing, I request that they sell all new vinyl pressings unsealed in a resealable sleeve. Maybe that way people will actually listen to them instead of putting them up on their trophy shelf.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631

Zod said:

BTW, isn't this supposed to be a "community" that helps each other? Why does every record seller in the marketplace seem to be asking TOP ebay prices? Not asking for a freebie, but why would anyone buy from someone here when they could probably get it for much lower on the bay? The repressing of expensive records would put the brakes on that nonsense.

Isn't the going prices on Lost Dogs (the marketplace forum) about 10% less than ebay? Not everyone does it, but it's customary to sell it for a bit cheaper as you don't have pay ebay's fees. Both ebay and the lost dogs forum seem to charge around marketplace.

I have all the vinyl and I'm not even willing to sell it at current market prices. How much do you think you'd have to offer me to break up my PJ collection. $1000/record? $2000/record? I'm not sure :) People are selling for market price because they aren't willing to sell it for lower. At $250 maybe they'll sell l02l. At $100 they'd rather keep it. Everyone has their price. I know mine is way higher than market prices :)
    Yeah, I'm not talking about people who listen to their records and love them. I wouldn't sell you my PJ20 colored for $1000 because I dig it immensely and listen to it weekly. I'm talking about all the sealed copies. Those aren't being used. Most of the prices I see here and the quotes I've received from board members have been much higher than ebay prices. I just would have figured you'd get some sort of median price here from people who willingly want to sell to another fan, but oh well.

Also, forget boxset fancy crap. Just release a repressing that sounds good. Trying to complicate things with extras is probably what is holding it all up. Original everything with a different matrix number to differentiate it from the original. Like I said before, so many smaller bands manage to do this on a regular basis. I just don't get why PJ couldn't do this tomorrow(or preferably yesterday).

Last thing, I request that they sell all new vinyl pressings unsealed in a resealable sleeve. Maybe that way people will actually listen to them instead of putting them up on their trophy shelf.
    Yeah, it sucks. All I want is to be able to hear my favorite albums from my favorite artist on vinyl someday. I could care less about "collecting"
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Don't know what y'all are talking about with the community on here. I just sold my pj20 color for 750 and right after landed a sealed Benny for a great price. I've also had great trades with people who have helped me to get most of the pj collection. Two for ones, pretty good prices, etc.

Say what you will but all sites have their ups and downs. You just have to play the game and have some luck.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,889

Don't know what y'all are talking about with the community on here. I just sold my pj20 color for 750 and right after landed a sealed Benny for a great price. I've also had great trades with people who have helped me to get most of the pj collection. Two for ones, pretty good prices, etc.

Say what you will but all sites have their ups and downs. You just have to play the game and have some luck.

Exactly. A sealed PJ20 colored sold for $700 in March on ebay. You gave a decent deal to someone, because they have sold for more. I won't even ask what you had to pay for the Benny. It all comes down to the original post, which is that PJ should release repressings. Even if they are different colors to make sure that the people who probably shelled out a ridiculous amount of money will still feel special.

The holding back on repressings just gives it an elitist kind of feeling rather than simple collector dorkiness. Who can or will spend a shitload of money to finally listen to PJ on vinyl. I'd like to spin Avocado and Riot Act on my turntable. I don't know if that will happen. I've been buying records for about 30 years and just messed up by not buying those releases. Simple fix for all of us stupid people is for them to simply press more records! Either way, it's not the end of the world.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Still never forget Virgin Megastore downtown Chicago 2002. Row upon row of PJ vinyl. Bought No Code and Vs for $20. They had Yield, Live on Two Legs, and about 30 copies of Binaural. All for less than $20 an LP. I remember thinking I should have splurged and dumped all my taxi cash right then and there. But I didn't, and it too almost another 12 years to finish off the collection piecemeal.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited July 2015

This. Exactly what I'd like to see. Forget the collectible aspect. These are just records meant to be spun. Give me a standard release on black vinyl.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited July 2015
    Damned double post
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    JT_JamFanJT_JamFan Posts: 170
    Indeed. If the Vault #5 is a knee-jerk reaction to strike back at the bootleggers that are issuing the same show on white vinyl, why not sink the guys that are doing the "middle 5" albums? I have the first 3 and the last 2. If there was a Pre-Order option for the other albums they would already be in my cart!
    Escape is never the safest path....

Atlanta 9.1.98
    Dallas 11.15.13
    Ft. Worth 9.15.23
  • Options
    Something funny happened today....
    I went into my local record store. I came across the ENTIRE Foo Fighters collection on vinyl, but could only find HALF of the Pearl Jam studio albums..... -_-

PEARL JAM, PLEASE reissue your studio albums
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
  • Options

I went into my local record store. I came across the ENTIRE Foo Fighters collection on vinyl, but could only find HALF of the Pearl Jam studio albums..... -_-

That's more PJ vinyl than the average record store has I think...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    At FYE i usually see VS and Lightning Bolt only for some reason.

Urban Outfitters has the first 3 albums only

Ridiculous. So many great albums that we cant buy for retail.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,147

That's more PJ vinyl than the average record store has I think...
    I think it's spot on. Ten, Vs., Vitalogy, Backspacer and Lightning Bolt are still in print (or still have lots of new copies left). Those 5 albums are always kicking around. Most decent record stores have those. Mine has those 5, a few brad records, and a few boots in their PJ section.

• Options
    I need to get to more record stores then! Not that I need any of the catalog though. Complete set here! Yeeeeeah boooi!! Haha!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,956
    Hope the delay is due to the bands desire to have the vinyl reissues sounding as perfect as possible!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    PJ just posted a picture of a Yield vinyl on Instagram....

Must be nice...
  • Options
    SK203708SK203708 Posts: 48
    tino_11 said:

Hope the delay is due to the bands desire to have the vinyl reissues sounding as perfect as possible!

That's excactly what i hope - that they've gotten the message and are working on a worthy vinyl-box set (with individual releases) - like springsteen or uncle neil. It's just that the track records of reissuing the first 3 lps is so bad, that i'm very sceptical. they probably work on the nc/yield box set and will give us compressed (cheeply digital) vinyl. For everyone who doesn't have originals (they're not audiophile, but pretty good imo) - I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,828
    Yeah would love a copy of Yield on vinyl! Come on guys release the hounds.
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    After the success of the coke bottle Ten vinyl that was sold via Newbury Comics, I am surprised that we haven't seen them sell coloured variants through Newbury (or otherwise) of at least one other album by now.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    BeerBaron said:

After the success of the coke bottle Ten vinyl that was sold via Newbury Comics, I am surprised that we haven't seen them sell coloured variants through Newbury (or otherwise) of at least one other album by now.

Sometimes those don't sound as good to me. I love collecting colored records and limited edition ones, but for the sake of PJ studio albums, all I want is a black pressing that sounds like a vinyl should sound
  • Options
    GH10585GH10585 Posts: 3
    I'm starting to see the UK colored bootlegs (Yield and Binaural) show up at various local record stores for ridiculous prices. These are packaged well enough to be fairly easy to fall for if you didn't know any better. Seems like this would be just the thing PJ would love to put an end to. Reissuing would do the trick!
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Yeah, it's time. Seeing how many other bands who are not as big are doing it, I don't get the point. Come on, guys!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711

Yeah, it's time. Seeing how many other bands who are not as big are doing it, I don't get the point. Come on, guys!

Yes, PLEASE!

Funny this thread should come up today. I listened to my "No Code" CD all the way through today (is there any other way?) and YET AGAIN wondering why the entire middle period PJ catalog has yet to be reissued on vinyl. My only solace was having just today gotten one more Dinosaur Jr LP, "Hand it Over", to expand my total number of vinyl LPs for that band to eleven.... compared to my eight PJ LPs. Interesting, huh?

Ah huh.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Bump
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    You wonder what the holdup is. I want No Code on vinyl! Don't care if it's a boxset or anything. Just want to buy the vinyl record.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I don't understand now why Benny reissue isn't a done thing yet. I thought, as PJ20, it was something unique, once in a lifetime thingy as alpine valley, therefore the reluctance to repress and release those shows respectively. However, the demand from the fans to get a benny reissue should be taken into consideration, since the great response of fans purchasing vault 3, 4 and 5 vinyl, being the latter only a 2 record set. I don't think Benny will ever be repressed, however, it could be reissued with the Binaural/RIot Act reissues, since that show if from that era, but do we have to wait until al least 2020? We'll see whichever way this goes. Benny and RVM are the only ones missing from my collection, I hope I can afford them before they get repressed, but that's another story....
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options

I don't understand now why Benny reissue isn't a done thing yet. I thought, as PJ20, it was something unique, once in a lifetime thingy as alpine valley, therefore the reluctance to repress and release those shows respectively. However, the demand from the fans to get a benny reissue should be taken into consideration, since the great response of fans purchasing vault 3, 4 and 5 vinyl, being the latter only a 2 record set. I don't think Benny will ever be repressed, however, it could be reissued with the Binaural/RIot Act reissues, since that show if from that era, but do we have to wait until al least 2020? We'll see whichever way this goes. Benny and RVM are the only ones missing from my collection, I hope I can afford them before they get repressed, but that's another story....

I don't think Benny will get a repress. It was limited edition from the get go. It's not like the rest of the catalog where the current shortage is due to the low popularity of Vinyl when the albums came out. Benaroya sold out in under two days (a miracle by today's standards) and was already going for several hundred dollars on ebay a year or so later. If the band is having a hard time releasing the more standard titles in it's catalog I can't imagine Benaroya ever gets a rerelease.

It has been a while since the last boxset. If the band lost interest in them, maybe it is time to give up, and re-release No Code/Yield/Lo2L/Binaural/Riot Act/Lost Dogs/Avacado on vinyl. It also occurred to me that I'd love to see a vinyl set of the Dissident 3 disc set (Atlanta 94). That'd be pretty sweet :)
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,602
    I'd rather see them work on that ^ than half-heartedly go into the studio.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Someone on this thread or another said that they should look at how phish is doing it because they do a great job reissuing their catalogue. I have to agree. I just got rift the other day and like all their others, it's fantastic. They re master them to make them better suited for analog before they press it since they were all digital back in the day and then they include the download card of the analog music, which is killer quality. Rift is one of the best sounding vinyls I own, and as with all the others, the packaging is great.

They're also on the 45 rpm bandwagon for vinyl I just saw, as Trey just announced a preorder for a new album on 45 rpm tie dye vinyl. Looks pretty cool.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

Someone on this thread or another said that they should look at how phish is doing it because they do a great job reissuing their catalogue. I have to agree. I just got rift the other day and like all their others, it's fantastic. They re master them to make them better suited for analog before they press it since they were all digital back in the day and then they include the download card of the analog music, which is killer quality. Rift is one of the best sounding vinyls I own, and as with all the others, the packaging is great.

They're also on the 45 rpm bandwagon for vinyl I just saw, as Trey just announced a preorder for a new album on 45 rpm tie dye vinyl. Looks pretty cool.

I'm not sure most the ones we want reissued need remastering? I thought the OP's of Vs./Vitalogy were pretty good, I still go them more often than the reissues. The mixing on No Code/Yield is some of the best out there. If they still have the original master, I think it would be pretty easy to simply repress. Binaural was done in it's own way so I don't think you'd want to mess with that. Riot Act/Avacado.. maybe?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,825
    Just imagine ..

Just imagine they were able to release a custom wood vinyl box set. A box set that includes inside all 10 Pearl Jam albums reissued & pressed on various different colors. Numbered in an edition of 5,000.

Man, that would be pretty fucking sweet.