Options

New Gaslight Anthem album Features SOLAT cover

presententspresentents Posts: 139
edited December 2013 in The Porch
http://store.sideonedummy.com/bands/gaslight-anthem/tgabsidlp.html

Pre orders going on now, limited to 1500 total vinyl pressings. 500 starburst 1000 black. Great price, I love these guys and their PJ cover is one of the best I've heard and seeing it live is pretty rad too.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I sorta feel that Gaslight Anthem doesn't cover songs so much as imitate them, it's the same thing in their version of "Sliver".

I don't really get the appeal of these guys. They're a pretty generic rock band in my opinion.
    Randall's Island, NY 9/29/96; Camden, NJ 9/2/00; Philadelphia, PA 10/3/05; East Rutherford, NJ 6/1/06; Virginia Beach, VA 6/17/08; Camden, NJ 6/19/08; Philadelphia, PA 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    DS107374 wrote:
    I sorta feel that Gaslight Anthem doesn't cover songs so much as imitate them, it's the same thing in their version of "Sliver".

I don't really get the appeal of these guys. They're a pretty generic rock band in my opinion.

The above is probably fighting words round these parts, but, I am on the same page with ya.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    They're down to 499 Black and White albums now ;)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    They're down to 499 Black and White albums now ;)

:lol:
  • Options
    jeff2040jeff2040 Des Moines, IA Posts: 1,588
    I picked up one of the black/white albums. The price was pretty good and I'm looking forward to spinning this one in January! :)
    Sometimes you find yourself
    Having to put all your faith
    In no faith
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698
    anyone know if its available on cd too?

Love this band, they maybe a generic rock band - however I don't always see that as a bad thing when they knock out fantastic tunes even from that mould

sometimes bands try too hard to be different, and that's when it all becomes pretentious shite
  • Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,896
    pdalowsky wrote:
    anyone know if its available on cd too?

Love this band, they maybe a generic rock band - however I don't always see that as a bad thing when they knock out fantastic tunes even from that mould

sometimes bands try too hard to be different, and that's when it all becomes pretentious shite

Yes it's available on cd as well.
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Options
    Johnny WongJohnny Wong Wauwatosa, WI Posts: 193
    Great band. I picked one up as well. It's refreshing to be able to buy something exclusive from a favorite band that doesn't sell out in .03 seconds! :lol:

Thanks to OP for heads up.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    I thought they wanted to distance themselves from their influences and idols? Hence the rant...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    buck502000 wrote:
    DS107374 wrote:

The above is probably fighting words round these parts, but, I am on the same page with ya.

Beyond being generic, they just plain ol suck ass.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:
    DS107374 wrote:

Sucks ass!?!? Let me guess your top three bands, Pearl Jam, Phish, String Cheese Incident. 8-)
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    DewieCox wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:
    DS107374 wrote:

I agree with you on that. NEVER got the appeal for this band.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    scratched vinylscratched vinyl Posts: 742
    edited December 2013
    I actually liked their first two records a lot. The first one was punk based, then the second one tapped into some motown influence I thought they wore really well. It was when they started trying to sound like a 90's rock band that they went down hill.

Also, does anyone else find it strange that their "B sides" record only has one B side? The rest are all covers and acoustic versions of their own songs.
    Post edited by scratched vinyl on
  • Options
    According to a friend with alot of knowledge of Gaslight, this album is basically their old record label trying to capitalize on some old recordings. If this is true, which appears to be, maybe part of the flak some of you are giving them, at least regarding this release, is unwarranted. Just sayin'. Carry on.

Their music sounds really good in my earholes, but to each his own.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • Options
    I think GLA could be one of the bands on the left side of a PJ vin diagram. I personally don't care for Hendrix and Zeppelin and DMB, but I love Social D, The Pixies, Dead Kennedys, Springsteen, and GLA. I know plenty of PJ fans that come from the classic rock/jam band side and I come from the extreme opposite side. I am less about musicianship and more about the song as a whole and Brian Fallon of GLA is one of the best young songwriters right now.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I think GLA could be one of the bands on the left side of a PJ vin diagram. I personally don't care for Hendrix and Zeppelin and DMB, but I love Social D, The Pixies, Dead Kennedys, Springsteen, and GLA. I know plenty of PJ fans that come from the classic rock/jam band side and I come from the extreme opposite side. I am less about musicianship and more about the song as a whole and Brian Fallon of GLA is one of the best young songwriters right now.

I just think their songs are boring and the singer sounds like a fart. I like plenty of bands that don't have mindblowing technical skills and I'd say most of them are more about the song as a whole than about cramming in highly technical parts that don't fit.

The thing about Hendrix and Zeppelin and the classic rock that is a big influence on PJ....They have great songs first and foremost, but they're also played with great musicianship. I'm not opposed to a great jam, but if it's not part of a great song, I'm not interested.

Also, I find it interesting that you categorize Springsteen with Social D and Dead Kennedys. To me he's much closer to the classic rock bands you mention. I'll also point out that the punk influence has inspired most of the PJ songs that rank really low for me.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698

:)
  • Options
    after that little whining bitch Brian Fallon wrote that note about asking not to have covers shouted or requested at their shows they release them officially!?!? What a bunch of hypocrites !!

Who was the person who kept swearing for sure TGA was the opening band for PJ on this tour?? How did that work out?
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    Kinda off topic but how cool would it be if the "sevens" vinyls were sunburst like this. One would be black and red, one black and yellow, one yellow and red, one black and white, one yellow and white, one red and white. I am drooling all over my iPhone right now just thinking about it.
  • Options
    FWIW, here they are playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IriQEQaLulM
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    DS107374 wrote:

ditto - can't get into them either and don't understand the appeal
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    aurynsdad wrote:
    FWIW, here they are playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IriQEQaLulM

Thanks for this. I've never heard any of their albums, but I see people talking about them all the time here. That cover was definitely a carbon copy type of cover (not that there's anything wrong with that) although with this guy singing I can actually understand the words.. so I don't like it! :twisted: Just kidding. I enjoyed it.

Considering how often PJ does covers, I hope they appreciate other bands covering them.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

Who was the person who kept swearing for sure TGA was the opening band for PJ on this tour?? How did that work out?

Good question. They were also suggesting that they open for PJ AND play their version of SOLAT... before PJ comes on. Bad idea.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    after that little whining bitch Brian Fallon wrote that note about asking not to have covers shouted or requested at their shows they release them officially!?!?

:lol: Exactly.
    I'm surprised they didn't include a Lady Gaga cover, since according to Brian, that's more the course the band is on now.
  • Options
    hammahamma Posts: 88
    Like someone said above, this b side record is a cash grab by their old label side one dummy. The band is working on a new original album due out next spring. BTW I don't get why people give them shit for covering their influences yet its ok when pearl jam covers Neil, Petty, Dylan and countless others.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    hamma wrote:
    Like someone said above, this b side record is a cash grab by their old label side one dummy. The band is working on a new original album due out next spring. BTW I don't get why people give them shit for covering their influences yet its ok when pearl jam covers Neil, Petty, Dylan and countless others.

Exactly!

No one has to like them. I just thing there is nothing generic about The 59 Sound. Yes it calls on major influences but there's plenty of great music that has. I think that album is almost like a concept album. It puts me in a great mood. There first album Sink or Swim is completely different than anything after also. I'm a big fan and yes I am one who thought they would open. There were legit reasons to think that. Who cares. If you don't like them you don't like them. We get it.

And the b-sides record is a cash grab by their old label like someone else said. In fact all it is is the b-sides of the previous cash grab by that label earlier in the year, which was basically a similar set to Sevens of all previously released songs. I don't believe it's even link from the actual Gaslight site. Just in case anyone wanted the facts before they over react.
  • Options
    Gaslight is a great band. Brian Fallon is a great song writer and his lyrics are pretty incredible. The first I heard from them was "Old White Lincoln" and I thought it was too Springsteen-y (not that it's a bad thing, but sounded unoriginal). The more I heard from them on the 59 sound album, it was obvious that they were a great band with a lot of different influences (including PJ).

I just bought this B-Side record from Side One Dummy. I've heard a few of these tracks, but I love vinyl and always look to add to the collection.

And as far as Side One Dummy going for the cash grab; Yeah, they probably are. But they're an indie record label with a lot great artists on their roster. Gaslight got pretty big, so they're capitalizing. I'm sure Gaslight gave them permission. Chuck Ragan of Hot Water Music is on Side One Dummy and he / Hot Water are also big influences for Gaslight. Gaslight covers "Trusty Chords" and has toured with Chuck and Hot Water Music. I'm sure Gaslight is looking out for their peers and allowing Side One Dummy to make some money.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    edited January 2014
    Not the best pic but, she sure is pretty
    Post edited by Empty Glass on
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    How is this a cash grab? They made 1200 of these and sell them for $15 a pop. Let's say they make $10 a record. That's $12,000. Not exactly a big profit.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I like the white vinyl better than the starburst one. Both look great tho.