Options

PJ covering the Grateful Dead

Comments

• Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    dr122931 wrote:
    Ripple could work too

you should check out some of the versions of ripple during their acoustic sets back in, i beleive october of 1980. the one from one of the warfield shows really sticks out in my mind. purely amazing

warfield 10/09/1980 to be exact. great versions of dire wolf and the best version of ripple ive ever heard

Thanks. Acoustic dead is amazing. I do have some of those bootlegs.
    Add loser to my list of songs they should cover. I think something acoustic would work beSt...
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Grateful Dead sucks. One of the most over rated bands of all time.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Brokedown Palace or Ripple would be amazing.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    O.K. So the Seattle Show has a new twist. A guy has a permit at the Seattle Center for December 6th (PJ's Last Show of the tour) for a Pot Party for 500 people. The last time 500 people smoked weed at the Seattle Center was probably the last shows of the Dead in 1995. So you talk about a great night to break out a dead tune, couldn't be better. I would settle for a Watchtower though.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    Would be amazing but would never happen. :(
  • Options
    DURP wrote:

77e10978f2f6e276451393e68eb5a58e.jpg
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    DURP wrote:

I love this thread.

I get made fun of by some people in my life for listening to so much Pearl Jam, but it's nice to see that I'm more musically open then some people.

P.S. The Grateful Dead freaking ROCKED for a long time. Not like Pearl Jam, but they were very, very good nonetheless. Jerry could hold his own with anyone, and Phil Lesh is one of the best bass players to ever walk planet earth.

P.P.S. I would kill a stranger if it meant Pearl Jam would get a keyboard player half as good as Brent Mydland.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • Options
    What about Bertha or Dire Wolf. I just like those songs. May not be in PJ's wheelhouse but just wanted to weigh in.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    Yes Way wrote:
    DURP wrote:

I love this thread.

I get made fun of by some people in my life for listening to so much Pearl Jam, but it's nice to see that I'm more musically open then some people.

P.S. The Grateful Dead freaking ROCKED for a long time. Not like Pearl Jam, but they were very, very good nonetheless. Jerry could hold his own with anyone, and Phil Lesh is one of the best bass players to ever walk planet earth.

P.P.S. I would kill a stranger if it meant Pearl Jam would get a keyboard player half as good as Brent Mydland.

Agree with everything you said except for Brent Mydland. I can't stand his work with the band at all. Mydland just made everything "cute" and it just never sounded authentic or soulful. The Dead lost something in their sound when Pigpen died. He was far superior.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    I've never understood how anybody could not like the Dead.
  • Options
    Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    I guess it's because I'm British, but I've never heard a single second of any Grateful Dead stuff. I'll go see if they're in Spotify, if so I'll give 'em a try. Just because.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    JK18472 wrote:
    The Dead kinda covered pearl jam I few nights back. I know it's a stretch but Phil and friends covered Rockin in the free world. I know its not really a PJ song but it kinda is and its not the grateful dead but its as close as we can get now.

Sweet..ill have to check that out.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    NHiding wrote:
    And I thought I was high!
    Ha!! You'd poop in your pants if you heard the opening notes to St. Stephen..

Would love a Estimated Prophet... tonight especially.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    NHiding wrote:
    And I thought I was high!
    you were
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Caveeze wrote:
    Hell in a bucket

I could see this...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    I know absolutely nothing about the GD so quick question... Why is the topic of PJ covering them controversial?
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    I can hear Pearl Jam doing "the wheel"

I can hear Ed's voice singing it, Yeah!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    There are a few GD songs PJ could cover well.

Rockers like one more saturday night or alabama getaway and slower ones like ripple and sugaree.

But I cant see PJ covering dead songs like estimated, eyes, st. stephen, throwing stones, fire or scarlet.

If you are going to choose, choose big. China/Rider
    Imagine McCready playing those first notes of china cat sunflower!
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Scarlet Begonias--I heard that parrot head guy whose name escapes me cover this too
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    love the idea...

pearl jam was perfect for me to continue on once uncle Jerry passed...

can you imagine Boom jammin' ...."I know you rider".... :)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    ckravitz wrote:
    I know absolutely nothing about the GD so quick question... Why is the topic of PJ covering them controversial?

It's only controversial to the fans here who know nothing about one of the best American bands ever , they are the one's who started the whole follow the band on tour movement , let the fans freely record their shows , even feed the whole theater breakfast in San Francisco after an all night show , played the Piramids , on & on ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    There are a few GD songs PJ could cover well.

Rockers like one more saturday night or alabama getaway and slower ones like ripple and sugaree.

But I cant see PJ covering dead songs like estimated, eyes, st. stephen, throwing stones, fire or scarlet.

If you are going to choose, choose big. China/Rider
    Imagine McCready playing those first notes of china cat sunflower!

shit, how could i forget china cat into i know you rider. another one of my favorite segues...
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Has anyone mentioned Terrapin yet?? I can see stone doing the duck walk :lol::lol::lol:
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    It would be an interesting concept. I am just having trouble picturing it in my head. I am guessing it would be something mellow like Brokedown Palace.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887
    ckravitz wrote:

Unclear on this myself. This band regularly covers songs by classic bands. Why would covering the Dead be any different?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    DURP wrote:

It is. I'm sure bands I like you don't.

Hell I think the Beatles are the most over rated band of all time.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    jniko wrote:
    I think Morning Dew would be Epic. My favorite band playing my favorite GD song.

Morning Dew is not a GD original and is actually a cover... the dead did it so well and so often that it became "their" song... much like crazy mary is a cover but PJ does it so well that they know "own" it...
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    to the dead haters...

take a ride in the mountains/woods/backroads on a beautiful day... smoke a joint... put on the dead... thank me the next time you see me
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I don't think it would work. A jam band is what you become if you know how to play instruments but can't write songs.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    I don't think it would work. A jam band is what you become if you know how to play instruments but can't write songs.

i disagree. i think they have written some great GREAT songs, and i don't think jamming has anything to do with lack of song writing ability. For me, the jam is all part of the journey, the experience of playing live and being in the moment, just like mike's solos, just like the awesome RVM jam. And let's not forget about various substances band members/audience members may have been on over the years to progenerate these awesome moods we call jams... "what a long strange trip its been," indeed! :D

Maybe im wrong here, but i would say that most people against this dont have any knowledge of the dead beyond maybe 'touch of gray'

im always open to new music and other artistic influences/experiences.

"i'm open...come in"