huh?
    :wave: :wave:

:wave:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I'd love to just have been able to go to a show. Go forth and enjoy the best band on the planet wherever you are in the building!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    JWPearl wrote:
    jrnyc wrote:
    You people who wait in line all day, make lists, etc, etc ,etc need to get a life. It sounds like middle school BS.

The Springsteen system sounds very reasonable.

The Bruce Springsteen system does sound swell to me as well. Must say that i agree with more the positives of this thread though 8-)
    I agree with this. Who has time to sit in line for 12 plus hours so you can secure a spot on the rail? I say use the bruce method next tour! I'm a father of 5 and work full time monday through friday so it's tough to get there early and wait in line.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    There is a really easy solution to all out ticket 'problems':
      -Give 10cers only one ticket option per show for the lotto (simplifies lotto process) -Do an ID check at a designated 10c venue entrance when the doors open -After they pass the ID to verify they get 10c seats, then give them the tickets so that they cannot leave the venue after receiving their 10c tickets (solves 10c scalping issue, apparently NIN does this) -All seats assigned via seniority (keeps old fans happy and in the 10c) -From those people getting tickets,
    randomly select those who get GA. (solves all these stupid line issues)
    -For those who get win GA and want reserved, trade with other 10c people inside the venue before you go to the floor

See how easy that was?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    RE4790 wrote:
      -Give 10cers only one ticket option per show for the lotto (simplifies lotto process) -Do an ID check at a designated 10c venue entrance when the doors open -After they pass the ID to verify they get 10c seats, then give them the tickets so that they cannot leave the venue after receiving their 10c tickets (solves 10c scalping issue, apparently NIN does this) -All seats assigned via seniority (keeps old fans happy and in the 10c) -From those people getting tickets,
    randomly select those who get GA. (solves all these stupid line issues)
    -For those who get win GA and want reserved, trade with other 10c people inside the venue before you go to the floor

See how easy that was?
    100% agree!!!! totally support this.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    But then you have other fans that use the list to be away from the line for long periods of times.

Have you experienced these people yourself?

The "list" is not made to let people leave for all day, it's just an extra security if the line is moved, for leaving for bathroom breaks, getting food, chitchatting with fans that are not located next to you in line.

My experience in the US is only one show. But no way did anyone where I was leave for the whole day, people showed up early and sat there. NO ONE I met wrote down their number and went away all day.

But, have you seen this happening? For someone writing so much about this list - have you yourself seen it not work this tour?

I wouldn't care much if there wasn't a list, I'll stay put. But for me it was a nice extra security. But I bet the same security would come from sitting next to nice people all day.

But I think the list-paranoia is a bit extreme.
    And also, people who would be abusing it are ofc assholes (like the girl in another thread saying she wanted a number so she could go to her hotel and shower and shit).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I'd love to just have been able to go to a show. Go forth and enjoy the best band on the planet wherever you are in the building!

Bingo!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Who has time to sit in line for 12 plus hours so you can secure a spot on the rail?
    Enough people it seems.

I think it's part of the experience. Some people are busy having familes etc, well maybe then it's not for them. But I don't think it's a problem. Just like camping out for Hobbit tickets or whatever. It's part of the experience.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,842
    RE4790 wrote:
      -Give 10cers only one ticket option per show for the lotto (simplifies lotto process)
      -Do an ID check at a designated 10c venue entrance when the doors open
      -After they pass the ID to verify they get 10c seats, then give them the tickets so that they cannot leave the venue after receiving their 10c tickets (solves 10c scalping issue, apparently NIN does this)
      -All seats assigned via seniority (keeps old fans happy and in the 10c)
      -From those people getting tickets, randomly select those who get GA. (solves all these stupid line issues)

See how easy that was?

So how do points 1 and 6 work when you only have one lotto choice? IE if you didn't go for GA, you wouldn't need GA and if you did, you wouldn't need to swap for seated.
      Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
    • Options
      Bring a notebook and a sharpie to throw the system into chaos.
      I knew about the GA line but didn't do it. I got close enough. I talked to plenty of people that got there early and stood in line and I had know idea about the line/list and thought it was a joke. I saw the same people at the front - basically because they got there early with a notebook then left to go eat and do whatever, as they waltzed right to the front of the line at about 5:30 pm since they had the magic sharpie on their hand. You sound like a complete loon showing up at 5pm saying "I'm number 42 on the list" to a bunch of people that don't know what you're talking about as you move to the front.

It's a big flaw to assume everyone knows about this "system" or is on the this board daily.

For my money back left side on Mikes side got plenty of pics and he walked in the crowd.
      "Mark it 20, Dude."
    • Options
      Solve the problem Dr. Seuss style; have everyone be a star belly Sneech.

Everyone show up with a notebook and a magic marker, put their name on their list with big fat 1 on their hand.

Dilute the system and make it meaningless.
      350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    • Options
      Solve the problem Dr. Seuss style; have everyone be a star belly Sneech.

Everyone show up with a notebook and a magic marker, put their name on their list with big fat 1 on their hand.

Dilute the system and make it meaningless.

Exactly.

I had a guy walk up to me and say,"so how are they doing the numbers? I'm 61."
      I said I don't know what you're talking about (but I did). Then he said its the notebook on the message board. I said no one here knows or cares what you're talking about.
      "Mark it 20, Dude."
    • Options
      BantBant Millinowhere, ME Posts: 506
      This conversation was taking place in this thread: http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=224655

I decided to move it here:
      Suziemay wrote:
      Bant wrote:
      I was in line at Hartford well before the doors opened and nobody told me about this list.

That "list" is the definition of elitist.
      No one told me either. I first came across it in Europe. First thing I did was to ask people around me what the deal was and someone told me the deal. It's no big secret. I'm sorry that no one filled you in, but it really isn't hard to find out. Was there one entrance or multiple in Hartford? If it was multiple entrances then the list doesn't work.

One entrance with multiple doors. This was my only show this tour and the only show since 2010. Why would I assume there is a "deal" when waiting in line for GA. :?

Why? It's not more then an extra measures not have idiots cut in or anything or start a debate over your place when you've been to the bathroom.

It's not like having a number gives you any privileges, you still have to sit there and wait - and to my knowledge from my one show in the US people did just that, sat on their ass and waited. At least where I was sitting.

My experience with the list in the US is only one show, but it was handled great compared to Europe. Less douchebags that cut in at least.
      :crazy:

Because only the "elite" know about it. I don't come to the forums very often, if ever. I still wouldn't know about it unless I started browsing the forums after the show. Had I know about this stupid list before the show, I probably would have showed up even earlier.

Its really simple, for this list to be fair to all and not an elitist system, the 10 Club has to recognize this system and notify its members of it. Until then, it's bullshit.

At least they sent an email about Sevens and notified their members.
      9/13/1998 - 9/15/1998 - 8/29/2000 - 7/2/2003 - 7/3/2003 - 7/11/2003 - 9/28/2004 - 9/28/2005 - 5/13/2006 - 5/27/2006 - 6/1/2006 - 6/28/2008 - 6/30/2008 - 5/17/2010 - 10/25/2013
    • Options
      edited November 2013
      Eraserhead wrote:
      RE4790 wrote:
        -Give 10cers only one ticket option per show for the lotto (simplifies lotto process)
        -After they pass the ID to verify they get 10c seats, then give them the tickets so that they cannot leave the venue after receiving their 10c tickets (solves 10c scalping issue, apparently NIN does this)
        -From those people getting tickets, randomly select those who get GA. (solves all these stupid line issues)

See how easy that was?

So how do points 1 and 6 work when you only have one lotto choice? IE if you didn't go for GA, you wouldn't need GA and if you did, you wouldn't need to swap for seated.

For point one, which is the initial ticket lotto from the 10c, instead of having two choices like "Boston GA Pair" and "Boston Reserved Pair" you would have one option "Boston Ticket Pair". You would not know whether or not you got GA tickets or Reserved seats until the ticket rep opens your envelope, just like how the people who got rows 1 & 2 on the last few tours didn't know they had won that secondary lotto until they got their tickets. This would give every 10cer an equal chance at getting GA tickets without having to risk losing out on seeing a show via multiple options in the initial 10c drawing.
        Post edited by RE4790 on
      • Options
        It basically boils down to the fact that anyone doing this number thing is a shitty person. End of story.
        '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
        '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
        '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
        '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
        '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
        '18- Fenway
      • Options
        fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
        RE4790 wrote:
        Eraserhead wrote:
        RE4790 wrote:

See how easy that was?

For point one, which is the initial ticket lotto from the 10c, instead of having two choices like "Boston GA Pair" and "Boston Reserved Pair" you would have one option "Boston Ticket Pair". You would not know whether or not you got GA tickets or Reserved seats until the ticket rep opens your envelope, just like how the people who got rows 1 & 2 on the last few tours didn't know they had won that secondary lotto until they got their tickets. This would give every 10cer an equal chance at getting GA tickets without having to risk losing out on seeing a show via multiple options in the initial 10c drawing.

The GA/reserved ticket options are fine as they are. You assume all 10c members consider GA to be preferable. For a good number of us, it is not. This childish line/list bullshit is just another reason why I'm content sitting in the first 10 rows on the wings, and many of the longtime touring fans that I come into contact with at shows feel the same way.
          9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
        • Options
          pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
          You people are too funny

It's nothing more than an attempt to bring order to the queue ... In a civilized way. In Europe last year it was not possible if you arrived early not to know of the system. All new comers to the venue were offered friendly advice to grab a number if being early was important to them to get a good spot.

It's as simple as that. And it worked really well. There was no difficulty with anyone I saw. Yes it was boring but it worked out well. The time spent on that Manchester pavement wasn't wasted. The fans acted with integrity, and with respect to each other. I think Tenclub expect that.

There appears to be a mentality here that suggests a minority of rebellious unrepentant non conformists whom seem to just want to be difficult.

This isn't school, you don't need teacher to hold your hands
        • Options
          pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
          The conspiracy style theories on the 'elitist' notion is the icing on the cake
        • Options
          :corn:

4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42

When it comes to numbers, I'm completely lost.
          Antwerp/London/Nijmegen/Werchter/Camden2/NewYork2/EVChicago1&2/Chicago1&2/
          Werchter/A'dam1/Werchter/EVA'dam2/EVLondon1/Portland/Spokane/Calgary/Vancouver/
          Seattle

Longtime ghost
        • Options
          HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
          pdalowsky wrote:
          This isn't school, you don't need teacher to hold your hands

Or to take roll call.
          #FHP
        • Options
          tubes10stubes10s Posts: 512
          I just hope that people that are in line speak up and don't let this notebook nonsense carry on. If someone steps into line in front of you simply because someone with no authority and absolutely no connection to the venue or the band puts their name and a random number in a notebook, then speak up!

If you step into line in front of even ONE person who doesn't know what the "notebook" is all about, then you're making an unfair and dishonest move, and you know it.

The problem with this is that EVERYONE doesn't know about it. That's what makes it unfair.
          8-31-98 - Raleigh
          8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
          4-16-03 - Charlotte
          5-27-06 - Camden 1
          5-28-06 - Camden 2
          5-30-06 - DC
          6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
          6-22-08 - DC
          5-13-10 - Bristow
          10-27-13 - Baltimore
          10-29-13 - Charlottesville
          4-18-16 - Hampton
        • Options
          RE4790 wrote:
          RE4790 wrote:

See how easy that was?

The GA/reserved ticket options are fine as they are. You assume all 10c members consider GA to be preferable. For a good number of us, it is not. This childish line/list bullshit is just another reason why I'm content sitting in the first 10 rows on the wings, and many of the longtime touring fans that I come into contact with at shows feel the same way.

I don't, reread the first quoted post. No one is stopping a GA "winner" from trading for reserved seats. I also prefer RES and didn't pick GA for a single show this year, but I am realist and want as fair a process as possible while maintaining seniority based seating.

A more cynical man than I might say the reason you like things how they are because 1.) the GA option in the initial ticket drawing reduces the competition for the reserved seats you desire and 2.) a GA lotto at the later means you might have to trade to get reserved seats thus could have to slum it more than 10 rows back with all the riff-raff and their six digit ten club numbers. Not me mind you, but a more cynical man. ;)
          • Options
            Bant wrote:
            Had I know about this stupid list before the show, I probably would have showed up even earlier.

What would the big difference been? You sitting waiting with a number on your hand or sitting without one? You still have to sit and wait.

The problem is if you sit and wait without a number and then someone says they should get ahead of you because of their number. But then people around you should step in and say you been sitting there the whole time.. and the problem is solved.

And if you stabnd in a GA line and see people with numbers on their hands or talking about a list, you could just ask them whats up and I bet they would tell you. It's not a secret. Just a way to have some order.
          • Options
            I just think the list shouldn't be used. Nor should people have to mark numbers on their hands. If it's not run by the 10 Club or the venue, then I don't think any fan(s) has any such authority to implement it. At least until the end of Leg 2, fans are going to arrive early to line up to earn a great GA spot, there's no doubt about it. People that use the list to get out of truly waiting aren't acting with integrity. I agree that you should be able to leave for short times to use the bathroom, get food or drinks, get the tickets, etc. These breaks from the line really shouldn't last much longer than 10-15 minutes in my opinion. If you're off at the pre-party, or you're off showering at your hotel or any such absence from the line that lasts longer than 15 minutes and isn't really a necessity in nature, then in my eyes that is a bit abusive. I think it is worthy to see PJ up close whether it's on the rail or close to it. I understand why fans want to enjoy this experience and I have been able to do it a bunch of times myself. If you look at other famous groups, musicians, artists, the prices of tickets to experience them that close are sometimes in the thousands of dollars, or at least several hundreds for face value even. I'm sure the majority of fans are actually being great in line and having each other's backs. The fans that make the waiting the best it can be are of the right spirit. But let's face it: waiting all day on cement sidewalks sucks and isn't the easiest. That is why some will try to get out of it by claiming their numbered spot on the list. Fans should just show up, form the line, and be respectful about the process rather than being made to adhere to some list run by the earliest arriving fans.
            1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
          • Options
            SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
            Bant wrote:
            This conversation was taking place in this thread: http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=224655

I decided to move it here:
            Suziemay wrote:
            Bant wrote:
            I was in line at Hartford well before the doors opened and nobody told me about this list.

That "list" is the definition of elitist.
            No one told me either. I first came across it in Europe. First thing I did was to ask people around me what the deal was and someone told me the deal. It's no big secret. I'm sorry that no one filled you in, but it really isn't hard to find out. Was there one entrance or multiple in Hartford? If it was multiple entrances then the list doesn't work.

One entrance with multiple doors. This was my only show this tour and the only show since 2010. Why would I assume there is a "deal" when waiting in line for GA. :?
            You should not assume, which is why you should have asked around to see what was going on. I do that at each and every single show, PJ or non-PJ. If I'm going to invest time and energy in waiting in line for hours, you better believe I will do everything in my power to make sure nothing messes up my entry. In any case, how did not having a number ruin the entry for you? If it didn't, then perhaps it's a moot point? I walked into Buffalo GA at 7PM, didn't bother with numbers and such. I was perfectly content and was not fussed by the numbers at all. The numbers only matter if you are aiming for the rail, which is like the first 40-50 people in line.
            Bant wrote:
            Why? It's not more then an extra measures not have idiots cut in or anything or start a debate over your place when you've been to the bathroom.

It's not like having a number gives you any privileges, you still have to sit there and wait - and to my knowledge from my one show in the US people did just that, sat on their ass and waited. At least where I was sitting.

My experience with the list in the US is only one show, but it was handled great compared to Europe. Less douchebags that cut in at least.
            :crazy:

Because only the "elite" know about it. I don't come to the forums very often, if ever. I still wouldn't know about it unless I started browsing the forums after the show. Had I know about this stupid list before the show, I probably would have showed up even earlier.

Its really simple, for this list to be fair to all and not an elitist system, the 10 Club has to recognize this system and notify its members of it. Until then, it's bullshit.

At least they sent an email about Sevens and notified their members.
            The list does not change what time people show up. Even if there was no list in place, all those people would have been there before you. Most of the people around me in the queue don't come on here and honestly, anything I "know" about queuing up has been by showing up and talking to people in line, not coming on here. If you want to be up close on the stage, you put in the time. That's how it's always been, list or no list, PJ or other bands. I view the list is simply a tool to facilitate orderly lining up, it doesn't change the fact that the people who are willing to put in the time are the people who should be going in first.
          • Options
            BantBant Millinowhere, ME Posts: 506
            Suziemay wrote:
            The list does not change what time people show up. Even if there was no list in place, all those people would have been there before you. Most of the people around me in the queue don't come on here and honestly, anything I "know" about queuing up has been by showing up and talking to people in line, not coming on here. If you want to be up close on the stage, you put in the time. That's how it's always been, list or no list, PJ or other bands. I view the list is simply a tool to facilitate orderly lining up, it doesn't change the fact that the people who are willing to put in the time are the people who should be going in first.

You seem to be ignoring the abuse of this list that many have pointed out. I can't speak to it, but others have.

Its amazing to me how anyone can see this as acceptable for GA. If you think this is acceptable, you're missing the whole point of GA. Here is the definition of GA, for those who can' t seem to grasp why others have a problem with the list.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/general+admission

gen′eral admis′sion
            n.
            an admission charge for unreserved seats at a theatrical performance, sports event, etc.
            9/13/1998 - 9/15/1998 - 8/29/2000 - 7/2/2003 - 7/3/2003 - 7/11/2003 - 9/28/2004 - 9/28/2005 - 5/13/2006 - 5/27/2006 - 6/1/2006 - 6/28/2008 - 6/30/2008 - 5/17/2010 - 10/25/2013
          • Options
            SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
            Bant wrote:
            Suziemay wrote:

You seem to be ignoring the abuse of this list that many have pointed out. I can't speak to it, but others have.

Its amazing to me how anyone can see this as acceptable for GA. If you think this is acceptable, you're missing the whole point of GA. Here is the definition of GA, for those who can' t seem to grasp why others have a problem with the list.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/general+admission

gen′eral admis′sion
            n.
            an admission charge for unreserved seats at a theatrical performance, sports event, etc.
            So far the only first hand account of any abuse I've heard about is from you and to be honest, I'm not clear that the abuse was and how this impacted you. I'm sorry if you've explained and I missed it. I am not misunderstanding general admission at all. Like I said, the people who ultimately enter first should be the ones who show up the earliest, list or no list. The list facilitates this process, it's not a reservation tool by any means. I'm sorry you had a bad GA experience involving the list and I hope it goes better for you next time. Everyone else who has been angered by this has not waited in line for this tour from what I can tell.
          • Options
            GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
            how can anyone possibly debate this issue? if this isn't run by the 10C or the venue then it doesn't exist and anyone coming back into line should be kicked out. plain and simple.