Options

Would you re-order the songs on any PJ albums?

OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
edited November 2013 in The Porch
Simple question...

Would you re-order the songs on any (all?) Pearl Jam albums?

:?:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yes. If we start with LB, for some reason I don't like the way Sirens follows on from the Getaway/MYM/My Father's Son trio. Don't get me wrong, I really like Sirens and Lightning Bolt follows it perfectly but after that great first three songs it just feels odd when it then slips into Sirens. Would have preferred it a little later in the album. Just a minor gripe.
    Flanders
  • Options
    Yes. If we start with LB, for some reason I don't like the way Sirens follows on from the Getaway/MYM/My Father's Son trio. Don't get me wrong, I really like Sirens and Lightning Bolt follows it perfectly but after that great first three songs it just feels odd when it then slips into Sirens. Would have preferred it a little later in the album. Just a minor gripe.
    Flanders
  • Options
    I'd make Alive the final track on Ten. A big monumental finish.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Alive to the end of Ten? It would certainly finish it on a massive high, but I quite like the way the first six tracks flow on there.

I would consider shuffling LB around a bit though.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    My original thought.... "no, why would I re-order these through the goods section if I already have them..." 8-}
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited July 2014
    Only on Lightning Bolt, side B.
    It should go:
    7. Pendulum
    8. Swallowed Whole
    9. Yellow Moon
    10. Let the Records Play
    11. Sleeping By Myself

And that's it. Future Days should be cut out of it altogether. :D

Yes, the transition from My Father's Son to Sirens is a train wreck too, but I can't think of anywhere else Sirens would go either (the first 3 tracks are in the perfect order, and so are LB through Swallowed Whole, and Sirens wouldn't work near the end of the album either.... so I guess it has to stay where it is or go away all together ;) ).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
    Infallable in after My Father's Song, then Sirens, Lightning Bolt. That might of sounded better.
    Arc should of kicked off Riot Act,
    Gonna See My Friend was never an opener
    Apart from that think they sequence their albums really well,
  • Options
    They should have left the original track listing for Binaural.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited July 2014
    I'd rearrange Binaural, but I'd swap out some lost dogs tracks. Like Sad should have been on the album as with Fatal. I would have made "evacuation" a b side

Also, Gonna see my friend is kind of a weird place as an opener on Backspacer.

Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    As for LB:
    Here's how I re-tracked it. Seems to work for me:

Pendulum
    Getaway
    MYM
    LB
    Sirens
    Yellow Moon
    Infallible
    Swallowed Whole
    My Fathers Son
    Let the Records Play
    Sleeping by Myself
    Future Days
  • Options

Infallable in after My Father's Song, then Sirens, Lightning Bolt. That might of sounded better.

Gonna See My Friend I love as an opener and it's an underrated song in general.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

It's a fun song live, but I think it stinks on the album (of course, I think that entire album stinks, so there you go. Every song from BS is better live).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
    PJ_Soul said:

It's a fun song live, but I think it stinks on the album (of course, I think that entire album stinks, so there you go. Every song from BS is better live).
    It's not their best, but it's a hell of a lot better than "Pearl Jam" -

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

It's not their best, but it's a hell of a lot better than "Pearl Jam" -

Yeah, well I put Peal Jam in their top 5 albums. I love it. ;)
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJ_Soul said:

...and Sirens wouldn't work near the end of the album either.... so I guess it has to stay where it is or go away all together ;) ).

That's exactly how I synced LB to my iPod - sans Sirens.
  • Options
    Sirens is excellent. I would not drop that.

I wouldn't drop Evacuation from Binaural either, as someone said they would.

I would possibly have 4/20/02 as the final track on Riot Act.

Sad and Fatal would be on Binaural. If I had to take two off for them those would be Rival and Sleight of Hand most likely.

Ole and Of The Earth would be on Lightning Bolt instead of Let The Records Play for one.

I would also have State of Love and Trust and Breath on Ten. I wouldn't take any songs off to put them in though. Yellow Ledbetter would be a pretty sweet finisher, but how would it go on after Release?! Mike really wanted it on there though.
  • Options
    Olivavu said:

Sirens is excellent. I would not drop that.

I wouldn't drop Evacuation from Binaural either, as someone said they would.

I would possibly have 4/20/02 as the final track on Riot Act.

Sad and Fatal would be on Binaural. If I had to take two off for them those would be Rival and Sleight of Hand most likely.

Ole and Of The Earth would be on Lightning Bolt instead of Let The Records Play for one.

I would also have State of Love and Trust and Breath on Ten. I wouldn't take any songs off to put them in though. Yellow Ledbetter would be a pretty sweet finisher, but how would it go on after Release?! Mike really wanted it on there though.

Good call on Let the Records Play. Could b one of my least fav songs.
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I would start LB with pendulum and than continue as is and take out sleeping by myself altogether.

I like it better as an EV solo
  • Options
    Sleeping By Myself should have probably stayed a solo song.

Let The Records Play should go though. I don't get where it fits into the album.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,925
    Sometimes I feel persuaded to reorder an album track listing because of a songs usual position in a live set. Does that make sense? Ie Of the Girl is usually played as an opener so I had a tendency to reorder Binaural on a playlist and play it first before Breakerfall.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I just asked my husband his feelings regarding re-ordering a CD. He is a bit of a heavy metal/black metal savant. (He lives and breathes music.) The look he gave me was priceless. "Um, no. There are producers that purposely order the CD the way they do to create flow. That's part of the big problem with single purchase digital downloads. You take a song from the purity of the album." Personally, I wouldn't re-order a CD either, but I just had to ask him for his opinion.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    deadendp said:

I just asked my husband his feelings regarding re-ordering a CD. He is a bit of a heavy metal/black metal savant. (He lives and breathes music.) The look he gave me was priceless. "Um, no. There are producers that purposely order the CD the way they do to create flow. That's part of the big problem with single purchase digital downloads. You take a song from the purity of the album." Personally, I wouldn't re-order a CD either, but I just had to ask him for his opinion.

Yeah, and hopefully the producer did a good job. I would only want to reorder the track list if he or she didn't. ;)
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I would dump Johnny Guitar and replace it with Of The Earth
  • Options
  • Options
    YEs!! LB for sure:
    Getaway
    MYM
    My fathers son
    Lightning Bolt
    Sleeping by Myself
    Pendulum
    Infallible
    Sirens
    Swallowed Whole
    LTRP
    Yellow Moon

(Remove Future Days)
    "It's No Crime To Escape"... AGAIN and AGAIN!!

8-22-1998:Barrie, ON (First Show Ever)~~~10-5-2000: Toronto, ON (where the F*%& is the poster for this Show)~~~6-28-2003: Toronto, ON (Waterfront Fireworks)~~~9-11-2005: Kitchener, IN MY HOMETOWN!!! / 9-12-2005: London, ON(Greatest Band Ever in the Greatest Country Ever)
    ~~~5-9-2006/5-10-2006: Toronto, ON (Start of the tour;rough first night, amazing second night)~~~6-14-2008: BONNAROO!!! (GREATEST SHOW EVER)~~~8-12-2008/8-13-2008: E. Vedder Solo Tour - MASSEY HALL (an experience beyond description)~~~8-21-2009: Toronto, ON (Standard Toronto Setlist (sigh) but greatest pre set ever :) )~~~5-9-2010: Cleveland OH (TBD)~~~5-10-2010: Buffalo, NY (TBD)