My "go to" pedal

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,465
edited December 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
I don't play too much, anymore. Work seems to get in the way and I feel burned out/uninspired. However, I do play with my church's praise band. Wednesday nights are practices and Sunday mornings are performances. I try to make it to each performance and practice (unless I get called out--oh the joys of being a volunteer firefighter).

During practice, tonight, I noticed that I always seem to use my BBE Soulvibe. It's become my "go to" pedal. It adds so much to the sound without being overpowering. My current rig:
Amp: Fender Frontman 25r
Guitar: Whatever I choose to bring---either a modded strat, JBL tele copy, squier tele, SG 400, or LP 100.
Pedals: Digitech XD digi-delay, Ibanez TS5 Tube Screamer, VPjr Volume pedal, Crybaby Wah, BBE Soulvibe, and TU2 Tuner.

The tuner is the most important pedal (not just for tuning but for muting the signal when we're not playing) but the BBE soulvibe has become my favored pedal. I usually have the speed turned to the lowest setting and intensity to the highest. I love that rotary sound (thanks, Mike McCready).


Do any of you have a pedal that you love to use---one that adds a lot to a song but is subtle enough to not overpower?
Post edited by Unknown User on
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

Facebook me! http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1256850009

Comments

  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin LouisPosts: 12,844
    besides my boss tuner, my box of rock is my go to pedal. i have tried other pedals but i always come back to this one. no matter what amp i am using or what pick ups i am using i can easily dial in that old marshall plexi tone. plus it has a clean boost for when i solo. that is the pedal that is most essential to my sound.

    honorable mention goes to my morpheus drop tune. i can drop tune any guitar with the push of a button. sure beats having to haul extra guitars for 1 step and 1/2 step down songs.
    "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."- Hemingway

    "i'm not here to start the fire. i am here to fan the flames..."

    "Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people." - W. Buffet
  • gimmesometruth27" said:
    besides my boss tuner, my box of rock is my go to pedal. i have tried other pedals but i always come back to this one. no matter what amp i am using or what pick ups i am using i can easily dial in that old marshall plexi tone. plus it has a clean boost for when i solo. that is the pedal that is most essential to my sound.

    honorable mention goes to my morpheus drop tune. i can drop tune any guitar with the push of a button. sure beats having to haul extra guitars for 1 step and 1/2 step down songs.
    Those extra guitars...I understand that one. It's why I started buying more guitars. Now I have 12 (Thanks to the Kalamazoo Promise, all my grad money went to guitars).
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

    Facebook me! http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1256850009
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin LouisPosts: 12,844
    xtremehardy388" said:
    Those extra guitars...I understand that one. It's why I started buying more guitars. Now I have 12 (Thanks to the Kalamazoo Promise, all my grad money went to guitars).
    i used to gig 5 guitars. now i am down to 2 that i play plus one back up, just in case. that pedal alone saves me a trip when loading and unloading. if i had a roadie i would still bring 5 guitars...just to be a jerk :lol: 8-)
    "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."- Hemingway

    "i'm not here to start the fire. i am here to fan the flames..."

    "Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people." - W. Buffet
  • gimmesometruth27" said:
    [quote="xtremehardy388"]Those extra guitars...I understand that one. It's why I started buying more guitars. Now I have 12 (Thanks to the Kalamazoo Promise, all my grad money went to guitars).
    i used to gig 5 guitars. now i am down to 2 that i play plus one back up, just in case. that pedal alone saves me a trip when loading and unloading. if i had a roadie i would still bring 5 guitars...just to be a jerk :lol: 8-)[/quote]
    Nicer than me. When I played shows, I used 8 guitars, 19 pedals, and two amps....I was a d*ck....but I refused to not bring stuff "just in case"
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

    Facebook me! http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1256850009
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin LouisPosts: 12,844
    xtremehardy388" said:

    i used to gig 5 guitars. now i am down to 2 that i play plus one back up, just in case. that pedal alone saves me a trip when loading and unloading. if i had a roadie i would still bring 5 guitars...just to be a jerk :lol: 8-)
    Nicer than me. When I played shows, I used 8 guitars, 19 pedals, and two amps....I was a d*ck....but I refused to not bring stuff "just in case"[/quote]
    wow, 8 guitars.

    i could never lug that many around lol.. i always used my same pedal board and single amp though. sometimes i brought a full stack, but mainly it is just a halfstack these days.
    "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."- Hemingway

    "i'm not here to start the fire. i am here to fan the flames..."

    "Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people." - W. Buffet
  • First, I gotta say that I owned two separate Frontman 25r's over the years - about 12 years total since I owned them concurrently at different periods - and I miss the hell out of them. They were great little amps. I had the original black ones with the metal grills. Maybe one day I'll get my hands on another one.

    As far as pedals go, I've really pared down my board recently. I had a good 10 or so pedals going before, I've really knocked it down to 4 or 5. I would say it's a tie between my MXR EVH Phase 90 and my Jerry Cantrell Dunlop Wah. I kind of feel like a bastard for having my two go-tos being artist pedals, because I feel like it misrepresents me, but they're just great pedals that happen to have artist branding on them as far as I'm concerned.

    I have a REALLY old DOD EQ pedal from the 80s that I had turned on in the front of my chain at all times when I was still playing through my Marshall because I hated the way the amp sounded. Since I made my move back to Fender amps, I've removed it completely because it just isn't necessary anymore. If you asked me two years ago, that would've been my go-to pedal. That guy really made my sound for a while there, it has a nasty tone. Even though I don't use it anymore I can't part ways with it because it's too much of a relic.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin LouisPosts: 12,844
    sorry xtreme, i screwed up the quote thingy in that last post... :fp: :fp:


    i thought of another go to pedal. my holy grail reverb pedal. i like my amps very simple, single channel, no on board reverb. my '74 marshall jmp and my '94 matchless clubman do not have on board reverb, so when i need a little verb i use the holy grail pedal.
    "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."- Hemingway

    "i'm not here to start the fire. i am here to fan the flames..."

    "Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people." - W. Buffet
  • mustbechris" said:


    As far as pedals go, I've really pared down my board recently. I had a good 10 or so pedals going before, I've really knocked it down to 4 or 5. I would say it's a tie between my MXR EVH Phase 90 and my Jerry Cantrell Dunlop Wah. I kind of feel like a bastard for having my two go-tos being artist pedals, because I feel like it misrepresents me, but they're just great pedals that happen to have artist branding on them as far as I'm concerned.
    .
    Hey...if it fits, who cares? If YOU'RE happy with your sound, that's what matters. BTW, I'd love to try both those pedals, sometime, and compare them to the regular ones
    gimmesometruth27" said:
    sorry xtreme, i screwed up the quote thingy in that last post... :fp: :fp:


    i thought of another go to pedal. my holy grail reverb pedal. i like my amps very simple, single channel, no on board reverb. my '74 marshall jmp and my '94 matchless clubman do not have on board reverb, so when i need a little verb i use the holy grail pedal.
    You're good, man. I love reverb. My roc-pro had a stock tank but that crapped out. A guy swapped in a deluxe reverb tank and I, no joke, have the exact Studio Ledbetter tone that Mike has. It's amazing because, with my Marshall Guv'nor reissue, I get the exact "Porch" studio distortion. It's like Christmas, man!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

    Facebook me! http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1256850009
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin LouisPosts: 12,844
    holy crap!

    i bought an MXR 10 band eq pedal last night. After about 3 hours of obsessive knob and slider bar tweaking, i rocked some of the treble down and some of the mids up, adjusted some of the gain/distortion on a couple of pedals, and man, i gotta say that my '74 Marshall JMP has never, ever, sounded better. Finally got it dialed in the way I want it, really clean on the neck pickup and very crunchy on the bridge....Why didn't I do this years ago?? I guess I AM able to choke some more tone out of the old man after all... Ahh tone chaser problems... this pedal is going to be my main "go to" i think going forward :D
    "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."- Hemingway

    "i'm not here to start the fire. i am here to fan the flames..."

    "Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people." - W. Buffet
  • gimmesometruth27" said:
    holy crap!

    i bought an MXR 10 band eq pedal last night. After about 3 hours of obsessive knob and slider bar tweaking, i rocked some of the treble down and some of the mids up, adjusted some of the gain/distortion on a couple of pedals, and man, i gotta say that my '74 Marshall JMP has never, ever, sounded better. Finally got it dialed in the way I want it, really clean on the neck pickup and very crunchy on the bridge....Why didn't I do this years ago?? I guess I AM able to choke some more tone out of the old man after all... Ahh tone chaser problems... this pedal is going to be my main "go to" i think going forward :D
    YAY!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

    Facebook me! http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1256850009
  • Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. STUNNING overdrive pedal that cleans up a treat or can dirty your tone up as you like.

    The best thing about it is that its got a 'blend' options that allows you to mix in your clean signal with a juicy and hot TS808 style overdrive; its totally unique and I love it to bits :mrgreen:
Sign In or Register to comment.