WTFlorida? 4 Theories on Why Florida Is the Weirdest State

BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
edited November 2013 in A Moving Train
WTFlorida? Four Theories on Why Florida Is the Weirdest State

http://www.divinecaroline.com/entertainment/wtflorida-four-theories-why-florida-weirdest-state

In the past week, a homeless man was found having a picnic in a Walmart bathroom, a man was arrested for popping his pimples outside the entrance to a McDonald’s, and two burglars were arrested after bringing a fourteen-month-old baby along to rob a house.

Wanna guess where all these things happened?

Florida. As if there was any doubt.

Although strange and unusual things have always happened there, ever since the debacle of the 2000 election (damn you, West Palm Beach and your hanging chads!), Florida has claimed its rightful honor as the weirdness capital of the United States. An analysis of Associated Press stories found Florida, a.k.a “America’s Wang,” to be the number-one nuttiest state in the country, as measured by news output. News aggregator Fark.com even has a “Florida” tag to accommodate all the bizarrity that emerges from the Sunshine State.

But the question all of us—us Northerners, who don’t wake up to find alligators in our toilets—want to know is why? Why Florida? What makes Florida produce such a staggering amount of absurdity? There have yet to be any conclusive studies on this topic, but I have some suspicions. Here are four theories on why Florida is just so damn strange.

1. The Population
The majority of Floridians were not born in the state, and a significant portion weren’t even born in the country. Florida’s population is made up of several distinct and disparate groups of people, including:

• Old people
• Immigrants
The very religious
• Carpetbaggers and nouveau riche from the rest of the country
Rednecks
• Tourists

And there are a lot of them. Not counting Disney guests and snowbirds, Florida has about nineteen million residents, making it the fourth-most-populous state in the country. When you have that many people—especially culturally and ethnically diverse people—driving on the same roads and living in the same towns, is it any surprise that you have more weird news than Wyoming?

2. The Laws
Florida’s government has created what could kindly be called a “lax regulatory environment.” The state has very loose bankruptcy laws, loose gun laws, laws that prevent the seizure of a house for payment of debts, no system to monitor the distribution of prescription drugs, and collects no state income tax. While plenty of people come to Florida looking for simply a better life or better weather, the state also attracts a contingent of people who come for more illicit or opportunistic reasons, and these people tend to make the news more often than the average law-abiding citizen.

3. The Land Itself
It’d be easy to just say that the heat addles people’s brains, but it’s not just the warm weather that keeps Florida weird. It’s the combination of warm weather, humidity, hurricanes, swamps, native fauna that includes alligators, snakes, panthers, bobcats, fire ants, armadillos, spiders, cockroaches so big they could double as commuter airplanes, and other things that are humdrum for Florida but considered pretty “out there” for the rest of the country.

4. The Media
Since everyone knows by now that Florida is the epicenter of all things crazy, news from Florida travels farther and faster than news from elsewhere in the country. Especially weird news—website editors see the headline “Mom sells baby for meth,” and they think, meh. But if the headline says “Florida mom sells baby for meth,” that’s clickable gold. The truth is that weirdness happens everywhere (and states like Ohio, New York, and California give Florida a run for its money), but Florida’s reputation as a weirdo wonderland propels its news into the national spotlight more often.

Northerners love to portray Florida as a land full of drug dealers, corrupt politicians, deranged old people, and immigrants all snarling traffic in their Hummers while releasing pet pythons into the Everglades. And to some extent, that might be true. But no matter how much we chuckle at its absurdity, flights from JFK to MIA are booked to capacity all winter long, and tourism is still the state’s number-one industry. We love to laugh at Florida, but we also love to go there and give them our money. That makes Floridians laugh, too—all the way to the bank, where there’s probably an alligator in the toilet.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Some additional sources....
http://www.salon.com/2013/07/26/5_reasons_why_florida_is_the_weirdest_state_ever_partner/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381998/The-Silliness-State-Writer-tries-work-Florida-bizarre-news-state.html
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/24/florida-americas-weirdest-state/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Much like Mr. Hand, when I'm in Florida I too think everyone is on drugs.

FT04.jpg

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    A trip to Florida in the late 70's left me with one distinct impression: I'd never been to a place where walking barefoot on moved grass felt like walking across razor blades. :lol:

But look at the good things that come out of Florida:
    Tom Petty
    Nudist Resorts (nahh- on second thought, as George Carlin pointed out, nudists are the kind of people you never want to see naked :lol: )
    Armadillos (they're very friendly!)
    And of course, JonnyPistachio and the advent of human bioluminescence! :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    1. The Population
    The majority of Floridians were not born in the state, and a significant portion weren’t even born in the country. Florida’s population is made up of several distinct and disparate groups of people, including:

• Old people
    • Immigrants
    • The very religious
    • Rednecks
    • Tourists

And there are a lot of them. Not counting Disney guests and snowbirds, Florida has about nineteen million residents, making it the fourth-most-populous state in the country. When you have that many people—especially culturally and ethnically diverse people—driving on the same roads and living in the same towns, is it any surprise that you have more weird news than Wyoming?

Immigrants, the "very" religious and tourists, oh my!

Shameful, really. Just goddamn shameful.

Los Angeles (and the rest of California) have the same, or at least very similar, demographics.

Weirdness is all the fuck over, man. Just look around and within ;)
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    People really seem to enjoy bashing Florida.

People enjoy thinking it's a weird place or a place full of weird people. (I grew up in SF and, in my opinion, SF still has a lot more weirdos!)

When I lived elsewhere I also wondered why people chose to live here.
    Then I moved here and found out that it's a nice place to live!

Luckily, all this talk keeps a lot of people from moving here so it's not too crowded! 8-)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:

I grew up in SF and, in my opinion, SF still has a lot more weirdos!

I grew up on the peninsula and later lived in SF for a number of years, so yeah, I can corroborate this. The first time I saw a "freak"- this dude with curly hair a mile long- was on a visit to see my cousins in the upper Haight. Weirdos are one of the reasons I love that place. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• I don't think the people are necessarily weird, it's the LAWS and the LAW MAKERS that are f*cked up.

So I agree with #2. :)
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I don't think the people are necessarily weird, it's the LAWS and the LAW MAKERS that are f*cked up.

So I agree with #2. :)

I do agree that the laws are a bit out there. And, I was horrified about that teenage boy that was murdered without enough consequence for the killer!

However, I do ENJOY the lack of state taxes after living in the state of NY where we were taxed far too much!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    http://www.games.com/game/walkthrough-s ... or-florida
    P.S.
    Thank you... Florida.
    For knocking California off of the 'Looniest State of the Union' and keeping that title for the past 4 decades.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • This story doesn't help Florida at all.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/miami-d ... s-20774583
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    I wouldn't have a problem with FL (AND Texas) seceding, and California really needs to be made into North California and South California. It's too big.
  • Old people
    • Immigrants
    • The very religious
    • Rednecks
    • Tourists

I am a native Floridian, but lived in the Northeast & Midwest before moving back 10 years ago. For one, I don't fit into any of the above categories nor do most of the people I know. Secondly, I've seen just as much "weirdness" everywhere I have lived. There are plenty of old people, immigrants, very religious people and rednecks in many other places too.

Florida is different for sure, but there more "different" things here that are good than bad. Weather, beaches, natural beauty, low taxes, slower pace of life and very friendly people. I wouldn't consider anywhere else.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I wouldn't have a problem with FL (AND Texas) seceding, and California really needs to be made into North California and South California. It's too big.
    (that's not what she said)

But really, what does "too big" even mean? What would that split accomplish? Who'd benefit? Who'd be fucked?

Shall we just chop shit up, according to those not having a problem with it?

OK.

And these other terms applied as if they're something to hide.

Old, immigrant, religious.

How dare anyone!
    I think everyone would loose if California were chopped up. We would loose the unique character of being a state with every kind of bio-region except tundra. Well, ok some of our governors have been tundra like, but... :lol:

sorry..

No really, it so amazing to have a state that has mountains, rolling hills, valleys, coastline, dessert, rainforest, chaparral, oak woodlands, you name it. And cultural diversity from dazzling Hollywood to foggy San Francisco to ultra conservative Susanville and Alturas.

Split this state? Heck no!

• know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    So they wouldn't have arrested the burglars if they hadn't brought the baby? You're right, that is weird.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    I definitely think its the mix of people/diversity and the heat/humidity. There is diversity in other states of course, but here in south Florida, there are a very different groups living on top of each other. In Palm Beach, for instance, one of the richest and gaudiest area in the world. a few minutes away is Riveira, where gangs kill each other daily. Just a few days a go a 12 year old was shot in the neck riding his bike.

Oh, and also, Florida has TONS of rehab facilites and for a few years there, we lead the nation in illegal pain pill type operations.

Read some Carl Hiaasen...Great author who just notices the insanity down here and puts it in his own words.

and PS - BrianLux, thanks for that compliment! Im trying to raise the bar for Florida haha
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    brianlux said:

A trip to Florida in the late 70's left me with one distinct impression: I'd never been to a place where walking barefoot on moved grass felt like walking across razor blades. :lol:

ya, whats with the grass in Florida.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • arqarq Posts: 7,935
    Miami is not in FLorida, Miami is more like Puerto Rico.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    I didn't know there was a law against popping zits in public. :-/
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Stripper performs at 8-year-old’s birthday party

This kid’s birthday bash looked more like a bachelor party.

Grainy YouTube video shows a stripper shaking her booty for a boy celebrating his eighth birthday.

One youngster is seen smacking the dancer’s backside, and another makes it rain dollar bills, during the age-inappropriate bash in Tampa, Fla.

Tampa cops received calls about the video last week, but cops didn’t act because nothing in the footage conclusively shows when and where the X-rated party happened, a department spokeswoman told The Post.

nypost.com/2016/03/31/stripper-performs-at-8-year-olds-birthday-party/
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Jason P said:

Stripper performs at 8-year-old’s birthday party

This kid’s birthday bash looked more like a bachelor party.

Grainy YouTube video shows a stripper shaking her booty for a boy celebrating his eighth birthday.

One youngster is seen smacking the dancer’s backside, and another makes it rain dollar bills, during the age-inappropriate bash in Tampa, Fla.

Tampa cops received calls about the video last week, but cops didn’t act because nothing in the footage conclusively shows when and where the X-rated party happened, a department spokeswoman told The Post.

nypost.com/2016/03/31/stripper-performs-at-8-year-olds-birthday-party/

Oh,your just jealous J.Thats how we roll in Fl.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    I've been in south Florida for a few months now and like it here for some of the reasons you don't like Florida, and it's beautiful here, California can kiss my ass along with that freak "moonbeam" Jerry Brown. I try my best to avoid wal-mart in any state.

Godfather.
  • I've been in south Florida for a few months now and like it here for some of the reasons you don't like Florida, and it's beautiful here, California can kiss my ass along with that freak "moonbeam" Jerry Brown. I try my best to avoid wal-mart in any state.

Godfather.

Have you moved? I know you were talking about doing so.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

I've been in south Florida for a few months now and like it here for some of the reasons you don't like Florida, and it's beautiful here, California can kiss my ass along with that freak "moonbeam" Jerry Brown. I try my best to avoid wal-mart in any state.

Godfather.

Have you moved? I know you were talking about doing so.
    yes sir, and so far digging it here.

Godfather.

AHHAHAHAHHA this friend of mine in Ca. told me I could be the redneck I've always wanted to be in Florida.

Godfather.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Ok how did I ever miss this thread. Florida is doing just fine.....I've lived in Boston, NYC, DC Metro area, VA and SC.....I'm having the best time living here in Palm Beach County. Some folks joke thst Florida is the penis of this country, if that's so where's the vagina?

I've certainly had my share of weirdness....a panther crossing the driveway, gators of all sizes in our lake, a python crossing our community street and lots of wild pigs till they were removed to a wildlife refuge out in Loxahatchee. Love nature, the sea and there's plenty of it to see here as I now try to learn how to sail. Big city life is long gone for me, give me the bugs, lizards, Falcons etc but they can keep the snakes.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Ah no comment
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Godfather.

The governor is not so moonbeamish these days, GF. He's supported fracking. I liked the moonbeam version better.

And I'm sorry, but I won't kiss your ass but thanks for the offer anyway! :lol: