Options

NBA Thread now in 2015

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Jason P said:
    Pacers better shop PG13 around and try to get something out of him.  No sense just letting him walk with nothing to show for it.
    PG said it was all about winning ... yet he just made it clear he is going to sign with a dumpster fire in sunny LA next year.  Pacers have no leverage now.  If they can't get anything, I say sit him on the bench the entire season.

Run his legs off.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    DewieCox said:
    My take on the Sixers...if you don't make the playoffs in the east, even with important pieces missing, it's hard to say you're on the way up. Unless one of those missing pieces is a Lebron/Durant type talent, it's not gonna make a difference.
    Next year will be the first year they will attempt to make the playoffs. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    DewieCox said:
    Jason P said:
    Pacers better shop PG13 around and try to get something out of him.  No sense just letting him walk with nothing to show for it.
    PG said it was all about winning ... yet he just made it clear he is going to sign with a dumpster fire in sunny LA next year.  Pacers have no leverage now.  If they can't get anything, I say sit him on the bench the entire season.

Run his legs off.
    Reports are that the Pacers may consider the "Jamaal Tinsley" option on Paul George if unable to move him and send him to basketball purgatory until some deal is reached or the year ends.  I remember meeting a friend of a friend wearing a Tinsley jersey after the Pacers kicked him to the curb and straight up told him he was a dumb motherfucker for wearing that jersey in public and all he did was sighed and hanged his head.  

PG is dead to Pacer's fans.  You can't have team chemistry with stupidity like that.  It's like LeBron making "The Decision" with Miami a year before his contract was out with Cleveland.  

The Pacer's best chance is that the Lakers hired Magic Johnson and there is a 50/50 chance he is the mook at the poker table and somehow panics and trades the #2 pick.  A few days ago I would think that to be impossible that a NBA team would do something so stupid ... but then again, Danny Ainge .... 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,467
    I think jamaal tinsley played here, with the jazz, as one of the 183 point guards we've had since we shipped out deron williams.

speaking of which, robert mueller could be jerry sloan's twin.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    I think jamaal tinsley played here, with the jazz, as one of the 183 point guards we've had since we shipped out deron williams.

speaking of which, robert mueller could be jerry sloan's twin.
    Pacers paid Tinsley millions of dollars to stay at home and play PS2 for at least one year, maybe more.  Just ... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODTv9Lt5WYs
  • Options
    dwight howard = one huge waste of potential.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    Jason P said:
    DewieCox said:
    Jason P said:

Run his legs off.
    Reports are that the Pacers may consider the "Jamaal Tinsley" option on Paul George if unable to move him and send him to basketball purgatory until some deal is reached or the year ends.  I remember meeting a friend of a friend wearing a Tinsley jersey after the Pacers kicked him to the curb and straight up told him he was a dumb motherfucker for wearing that jersey in public and all he did was sighed and hanged his head.  

PG is dead to Pacer's fans.  You can't have team chemistry with stupidity like that.  It's like LeBron making "The Decision" with Miami a year before his contract was out with Cleveland.  

The Pacer's best chance is that the Lakers hired Magic Johnson and there is a 50/50 chance he is the mook at the poker table and somehow panics and trades the #2 pick.  A few days ago I would think that to be impossible that a NBA team would do something so stupid ... but then again, Danny Ainge .... 
      PG didn't leave the Pacers with much of a chance of getting any value for, i don't think. But who knows? MAYBE they'll get something for him? Been reading RUMORS that some teams are trying to get him & the Pacers may get some value.  And, if the Pacers do, good for them. What i do not understand is why teams would trade for him. I wouldn't unless the Pacers give him away.

I thought LeBron James was a Free Agent when he announced he going to Miami?( didn't have a year left on his Cavs contract?)
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    The NBA offseason is already much more exciting than the playoffs were.  

Really hoping that the Bulls trade Butler...it's time for a full rebuild.  Although I have zero confidence in Forman and Paxson to make the right moves.  What a mess of a franchise.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    cutz said:
    Jason P said:
    DewieCox said:
    Jason P said:

Run his legs off.

PG didn't leave the Pacers with much of a chance of getting any value for, i don't think. But who knows? MAYBE they'll get something for him? Been reading RUMORS that some teams are trying to get him & the Pacers may get some value.  And, if the Pacers do, good for them. What i do not understand is why teams would trade for him. I wouldn't unless the Pacers give him away.

I thought LeBron James was a Free Agent when he announced he going to Miami?( didn't have a year left on his Cavs contract?)
    I heard a great local reporter talk about PG13.  He said he was amazing when he first came up but now all he does is "talk".  The reporter called him a "fraud" too.  There is some food for thought.  I had no idea about PG like that.

• Options
    Pretty sure the Sixers are not poorly run, fella. You're thinking of the Sixers from a decade ago when Ed Snider owned the team. 

The Sixers acquired number one because THEY had the assets to do it. Now they are loaded with young talent whose ceilings are through the roof. All they need now is time to jell, health, and some veterans sprinkled in. 

Sixers have been playing the long game and are set up nicely to take advantage of the East when Lebron finally goes away. That's not something a poorly run organization has the foresight to do. 

Best of luck to your Knicks. 

Also--I would be scared to death of Magic running my team if I were a Lakers fan. 
    76ers got a ranking of 22/30 for management so I can only imagine what they were like 10 years ago so what you guys have now must seem like heaven.  The only good things I read about the 76ers is on the "process" thread in here.  Also If Embiid does really become as good as people hope I will be the first to say I was wrong.

Knicks are 30th right where they should be.  Oh and I'm not a Knicks fan just a basketball fan in general.  I have enjoyed watching the train wreck though!

Magic Johnson is not the same person he was when he tried his hand at coaching and a talk show.  Since those disasters he's done investing and business deals that were very profitable.  He does have a good basketball mind and they can only do better considering the draft picks that they have made the last few years...  Bring West back and this team would have some positivity but he's with the Clippers.

Heyward to the Celtics?  He would have a nice team in future coming there.

I'm still liking Fox as the better long term player in this draft too.
    I'm not sure how official your rankings (here's one from December that has the Sixers ranked 8thhttp://basketball.realgm.com/article/244424/2016-Year-End-NBA-Team-Portfolio-Rankings) are but one can only assume they are going to fly up the charts after this weekend. Sixers are in a very good position right now in the East. And if this place is the only area you are seeing good things being said about the Sixers right now, google.com is a pretty good search engine. Lots of positive reviews of this trade and the process in general, now that it's come to it's fruition.

Go look at the dumb things Magic has said on twitter over the last few years to get an idea of what kind of front office person he's going to be...
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19031533/gm-president-ratings-1-30

The only way they fly up the charts is if they actually win.  That's still a few years away so we are on the 6th year of the "process" right now?  After 10 years and it doesn't work what's next?

I really hope it does work but things don't look well.

I'm curious if all the good reporting on the Sixers that you are reading is local?  Here in NY the local reporting is delusional about the sports teams.  I've listened about how good the Knicks were going to be and I told everyone they are nuts...

Magic says dumb things, yes.  He also has a very high Bball IQ so he gets a pass on a handful of dumb things.

10 years? Ummm...it's been 4. This kind of shows how little you've been paying attention, but anyway.....And they were a few games out of the playoffs last year when Embiid got hurt and Simmons missed the whole year. If you can make an argument that they were in a better situation 10 years ago then they are now, I'm all ears. Have at it. 

Why do you think things don't look well? You've said this before but have not elaborated why you feel this way or why you felt they are a poorly run organization. You just referenced their record, but they've been trying to win yet. They have a lot of young talent with ceilings through the roof and more cap space than anyone in the league. You're saying this is a bad thing, right?

Local? Ha....no. The local papers covering the team are useless. Via google.com, here's 4 quick articles you may want to look at:

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/17/trade-grades-draft-sixers-celtics-no-1-pick-markelle-fultz-joel-embiid-picks 

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/18/15822416/sixers-trade-celtics-sam-hinkie-markelle-fultz-nba-draft 

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-who-won-boston-celtics-philadelphia-76ers-trade-b3fe116a7ed9 

http://thebiglead.com/2017/06/16/markelle-fultz-would-be-a-perfect-acquisition-for-the-sixers/

Magic Johnson was one of the best players in the history of the game. In no way, shape, or form does that make him a good front office person. As an example, let's bring this back to your Knicks. How did Isiah Thomas work out for them? 

https://bustedcoverage.com/2017/02/21/the-best-magic-johnson-tweets-twitter-lakers-president/#!gallery-inline-embed-1857160-1857182-4

Michael Carter Williams is the next Jason Kidd - Magic Johnson.

10 YEARS TOTAL to see the process reap any sort of benefit.  It's been 5 years since they made the playoffs.  You figure another 3 years to have the team Gel together if they can.  In those same 3 years to develop these players, by the way who is developing them?  I do wonder if that is why Carter was traded?  Tremendous upside if he was developed better? So 8 years in then IF they are starting to play better another 2 to get deep in the playoffs so there is my 10 year theory.

Embiid was passed up by the Cavs for a reason.  They knew about his injury.

Oh and about Magic and his quotes?  Here's a great one from Embiid  “When I say we are going to be ready to win when the Cavs are going down, that doesn’t mean five years. Next year, I think we are going to be ready to win.”

I did scroll through the links above and found them to be talking about the draft and "how" and "if" could happen.  It's all speculation still.

Again, I hope it works...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    What the hell is basketball IQ?  Is that like sabermetrics for hoops?
  • Options
    Lebron James has a high BBall IQ.

• Options

I would hope so.  I'd hope every NBA player has a high basketball IQ.  Otherwise they shouldn't be highly-paid professionals. :lol:
    And so it is like sabermetrics for hoops.  It's a concept/theory with no proven measurement rather than a quantitative statistic.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

I would hope so.  I'd hope every NBA player has a high basketball IQ.  Otherwise they shouldn't be highly-paid professionals. :lol:
    And so it is like sabermetrics for hoops.  It's a concept/theory with no proven measurement rather than a quantitative statistic.
    I would be willing to bet that Shawn Kemp would not ever be confused with someone with a high IQ, basketball or otherwise. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Pretty sure the Sixers are not poorly run, fella. You're thinking of the Sixers from a decade ago when Ed Snider owned the team. 

The Sixers acquired number one because THEY had the assets to do it. Now they are loaded with young talent whose ceilings are through the roof. All they need now is time to jell, health, and some veterans sprinkled in. 

Sixers have been playing the long game and are set up nicely to take advantage of the East when Lebron finally goes away. That's not something a poorly run organization has the foresight to do. 

Best of luck to your Knicks. 

Also--I would be scared to death of Magic running my team if I were a Lakers fan. 
    76ers got a ranking of 22/30 for management so I can only imagine what they were like 10 years ago so what you guys have now must seem like heaven.  The only good things I read about the 76ers is on the "process" thread in here.  Also If Embiid does really become as good as people hope I will be the first to say I was wrong.

Knicks are 30th right where they should be.  Oh and I'm not a Knicks fan just a basketball fan in general.  I have enjoyed watching the train wreck though!

Magic Johnson is not the same person he was when he tried his hand at coaching and a talk show.  Since those disasters he's done investing and business deals that were very profitable.  He does have a good basketball mind and they can only do better considering the draft picks that they have made the last few years...  Bring West back and this team would have some positivity but he's with the Clippers.

Heyward to the Celtics?  He would have a nice team in future coming there.

I'm still liking Fox as the better long term player in this draft too.
    I'm not sure how official your rankings (here's one from December that has the Sixers ranked 8thhttp://basketball.realgm.com/article/244424/2016-Year-End-NBA-Team-Portfolio-Rankings) are but one can only assume they are going to fly up the charts after this weekend. Sixers are in a very good position right now in the East. And if this place is the only area you are seeing good things being said about the Sixers right now, google.com is a pretty good search engine. Lots of positive reviews of this trade and the process in general, now that it's come to it's fruition.

Go look at the dumb things Magic has said on twitter over the last few years to get an idea of what kind of front office person he's going to be...
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19031533/gm-president-ratings-1-30

The only way they fly up the charts is if they actually win.  That's still a few years away so we are on the 6th year of the "process" right now?  After 10 years and it doesn't work what's next?

I really hope it does work but things don't look well.

I'm curious if all the good reporting on the Sixers that you are reading is local?  Here in NY the local reporting is delusional about the sports teams.  I've listened about how good the Knicks were going to be and I told everyone they are nuts...

Magic says dumb things, yes.  He also has a very high Bball IQ so he gets a pass on a handful of dumb things.

10 years? Ummm...it's been 4. This kind of shows how little you've been paying attention, but anyway.....And they were a few games out of the playoffs last year when Embiid got hurt and Simmons missed the whole year. If you can make an argument that they were in a better situation 10 years ago then they are now, I'm all ears. Have at it. 

Why do you think things don't look well? You've said this before but have not elaborated why you feel this way or why you felt they are a poorly run organization. You just referenced their record, but they've been trying to win yet. They have a lot of young talent with ceilings through the roof and more cap space than anyone in the league. You're saying this is a bad thing, right?

Local? Ha....no. The local papers covering the team are useless. Via google.com, here's 4 quick articles you may want to look at:

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/17/trade-grades-draft-sixers-celtics-no-1-pick-markelle-fultz-joel-embiid-picks 

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/18/15822416/sixers-trade-celtics-sam-hinkie-markelle-fultz-nba-draft 

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-who-won-boston-celtics-philadelphia-76ers-trade-b3fe116a7ed9 

http://thebiglead.com/2017/06/16/markelle-fultz-would-be-a-perfect-acquisition-for-the-sixers/

Magic Johnson was one of the best players in the history of the game. In no way, shape, or form does that make him a good front office person. As an example, let's bring this back to your Knicks. How did Isiah Thomas work out for them? 

https://bustedcoverage.com/2017/02/21/the-best-magic-johnson-tweets-twitter-lakers-president/#!gallery-inline-embed-1857160-1857182-4

Michael Carter Williams is the next Jason Kidd - Magic Johnson.

10 YEARS TOTAL to see the process reap any sort of benefit.  It's been 5 years since they made the playoffs.  You figure another 3 years to have the team Gel together if they can.  In those same 3 years to develop these players, by the way who is developing them?  I do wonder if that is why Carter was traded?  Tremendous upside if he was developed better? So 8 years in then IF they are starting to play better another 2 to get deep in the playoffs so there is my 10 year theory.

Embiid was passed up by the Cavs for a reason.  They knew about his injury.

Oh and about Magic and his quotes?  Here's a great one from Embiid  “When I say we are going to be ready to win when the Cavs are going down, that doesn’t mean five years. Next year, I think we are going to be ready to win.”

I did scroll through the links above and found them to be talking about the draft and "how" and "if" could happen.  It's all speculation still.

Again, I hope it works...

10 years total? What are you talking about? It's been 4 years. You're basing your argument on what you think will happen in the next 6 years? You understand how weird that sounds? The point of what they've done over the last few years was to acquire enough assets to put them in the best possible position to win a championship in the future. That is exactly what they've done. There are no guarantees, but they've sacrificed a few years to give themselves a better long term shot at winning a trophy. The odds of that happening now are greater than they were prior to the process starting. That is the bottom line that you haven't been able to disprove.

I also asked you to prove how they were in better shape a decade ago when they were mired in mediocrity and you didn't answer the question. If you compare the position the Sixers are in verses, say....the Knicks, its not even close. The Knicks are a laughing stock right now.

You're comparing a 23 year old kid's quote to a 60 year president of a basketball team? That also makes no sense and proves my point that just because someone is good at playing basketball, it doesn't mean they are good at running a basketball team.

Dude.....of course it is all speculation. Just like you're speculating about the next 6 years. You asked for proof that the positive news about the team wasn't just local and I proved it....easily.

Thanks. Me too!

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I would much rather be Philly then the Hawks, Raptors, Clippers and all those other teams that are good enough to make the playoffs but no where near good enough to win a championship. Too good to get better and not good enough to really compete. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    I would much rather be Philly then the Hawks, Raptors, Clippers and all those other teams that are good enough to make the playoffs but no where near good enough to win a championship. Too good to get better and not good enough to really compete. 

Exactly.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,197
    edited June 2017
    Unless LeBron signs with the Clips after next year.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Unless LeBron signs with the Clips after next year.

That would be awesome.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I think CP3 bails this offseason. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

code speak for can't form complete sentences but can ball.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    utah picking next after next. woot!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Don't forget Jazz also have #30. The trade with GS that enabled the Warriors to get Iggy. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    is it free to attend the draft?

I would hope so.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    utah picking next after next. woot!

distegard...our real pick was #13.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

I would be willing to bet that Shawn Kemp would not ever be confused with someone with a high IQ, basketball or otherwise. 
    :lol:  Touche'
  • Options
    I feel that Bulls fans are paying some weird karmic balance for all those Jordan years of joy.  Traded their best player for dimes and sold their 2nd round pick for cash.
  • Options
    Warriors bought a 2nd round pick last year and the guy (McCaw) ended up playing meaningful minutes in the finals. If the Warriors pull that off again it just goes to show how some teams are playing chess while others are playing checkers. If the Bulls are set to rebuild I don't understand why you trade a pick for cash, even a 2nd rounder. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Warriors bought a 2nd round pick last year and the guy (McCaw) ended up playing meaningful minutes in the finals. If the Warriors pull that off again it just goes to show how some teams are playing chess while others are playing checkers. If the Bulls are set to rebuild I don't understand why you trade a pick for cash, even a 2nd rounder. 
    Why would you give them Bell? He has a lot of upside and that's something they have enough of already.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer