Options

pearl jam is NOT good at jamming

i am a targeti am a target Posts: 803
edited January 2008 in The Porch
agree or disagree?

i personally can't stand when they jam on rvm. plus i don't want to hear three or four minutes of noise during crazy mary either. while boom might add a certain dynamic to other songs (those with keys in the studio versions) his "solo" during crazy mary is abysmal.

take away those five to ten minutes of worthless jamming and give me other songs. hell. i'll even go so far as to say i'd rather hear wishlist or sweet lew.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

i personally can't stand when they jam on rvm. plus i don't want to hear three or four minutes of noise during crazy mary either. while boom might add a certain dynamic to other songs (those with keys in the studio versions) his "solo" during crazy mary is abysmal.

take away those five to ten minutes of worthless jamming and give me other songs. hell. i'll even go so far as to say i'd rather hear wishlist or sweet lew.

the Rearviewmirror bridge is awesome. check the State College '03 and East Troy '00 boots for proof
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

you're nuts.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

i agree about crazy mary, but disagree overall. please reference Porch at Soldier Field 1995, Atlanta 1994.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I disagree and actually wish they would jam more - as already mentioned, check out any number of Porch jams. I think Boom adds an interesting new element to the band's sound and love what he does during Crazy Mary - Wembley '07 in particular was awesome when he and Mike were jamming/trading off during this song!
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    alexross42 wrote:
    I disagree and actually wish they would jam more - as already mentioned, check out any number of Porch jams. I think Boom adds an interesting new element to the band's sound and love what he does during Crazy Mary - Wembley '07 in particular was awesome when he and Mike were jamming/trading off during this song!

i think that the organ sometimes makes it sound too "circus-y." its like i'm waiting for juggling clowns to come out.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    you're nuts.

agreed
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

That's crazy talk. Personally, the jam in RVM is one of my absolute favorite things they do. I'd hate for them to stop doing it. I'll agree a little on Crazy Mary, mainly because that song doesn't do much for me.
  • Options
    they can definately jam (when Boom free). I wish they would do it more.

Eddie's Improvisational lyric skills, on the other hand, fucking suck.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    ejny wrote:
    That's crazy talk. Personally, the jam in RVM is one of my absolute favorite things they do. I'd hate for them to stop doing it. I'll agree a little on Crazy Mary, mainly because that song doesn't do much for me.

agreed, wholeheartedly
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    i think that the organ sometimes makes it sound too "circus-y." its like i'm waiting for juggling clowns to come out.
    i once went out with a girl who wanted to be in the circus......

but thats another story for another day.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    nope. love the jam, love the organ.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    disagree 100%

the rvm and red mosquito jam we got in columbus in 2003
    were nothing less than outstanding.

seemed to go on forever.

bring on the jam.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,050
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

Hm...I disagree with this completely, especially on the Crazy Mary point. I do think they jam just enough, though; much more would be too much.
  • Options
    I also would agree on Crazy Mary...those jams get fairly annoying to me after a while. Overall, though, I would definitely disagree. It is true, I suppose, that RVM might not produce their best jams (not a big fan of the one on the Garden dvd), but 9 times out of 10 I love their jams
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

While I can kinda understand where you're coming from, I disagree totally. A good rvm jam sends chills over me and builds up to such a fantastic climax to a show. To me, it's an indication of their communication as a band, and their connection with the audience. Can't be beat.

plus... if you've ever heard the improv before Immortality from Nagoya, Japan in 2003 (and if you've sat through the credits of the Showbox DVD then you have) then you know how amazing a jam band they can be.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    whoYOUarewhoYOUare Posts: 274
    the Halifax RVM jam was AMAZING
    Crazy Mary in Montreal was SIIIIIIIIICK
    have you heard I've Got a Feeling from Boston in 94? another great jam

with that being said, they are not like Phish, or the Dead, or any of Les Claypools 9,647 projects, or any other jam band for that reason. They do what they do in a more structured way and dont practice that nearly as much as the aformentioned bands.
    are hte great at jamming? no, not really, but they can do it, and it is good when they do.
    peace
  • Options
    plus... if you've ever heard the improv before Immortality from Nagoya, Japan in 2003 (and if you've sat through the credits of the Showbox DVD then you have) then you know how amazing a jam band they can be.[/quote]

very good point. i love that Nagoya improv. picked that one up on iTunes awhile back. that audience is CRAZY quiet! almost like they weren't there.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,554
    They jam pretty good these days.

They jammed very very very good in the 90's!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    djerdap wrote:
    Fuck Me in the Brain and Ottawa Black prove you wrong.

I don't mind the jams, but I could live without them (especially the RVM one). Porch is an example of an excellent jam, especially on the '94 tour.

the new Wishlist, Porch and Daughter improvs prove me right. ;)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    I agree with the original poster and disagree with all the homers.
  • Options
    I got into Pearl Jam because of the jamming. I never listened to them before the 2000 European Boots but the McCready Gossard Tandem are the best in the business right now (Except for Trucks and Haynes on a particularly hot night)
    High and Inside, Low and Away
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    MikeLove wrote:
    I got into Pearl Jam because of the jamming. I never listened to them before the 2000 European Boots but the McCready Gossard Tandem are the best in the business right now (Except for Trucks and Haynes on a particularly hot night)

You have to be smoking some serious dope to say that. Serious dope. The "Who is better: Jimmy Page or Mike McCready" thread could be good for you.
  • Options
    eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    I enjoy P J's jams and wish they would do more..."Big wave" is crying out for an improv.
    I will admit though that the last minute of the jam on RVM bores me at this stage of my life.
  • Options
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

I'd stick with saving animals and let people with better ears comment on the music...
  • Options
    If they didn't jam ed's voice would be shat, the dude needs a couple minutes some times to let the throat chill.. no jam=no blood & no evolution anymore.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

WOW. u must hate EVENFLOW huh? :eek:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

your out of your mind. Listen to porch from eastruth2 or crazy mary from san diego06 philly 05 or grand rapids06, then tell me u hate the jamming.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

What?!

I love a long RVM!! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    to jam or not to jam...either way, it's what the band wants to do as artists, and that is why I still pay for the ticket man, because this band has maintained their integrity as musicians and artists. Of course, everyone has a right to their opinion, but do you really think Mike or stone or Jeff or Ed or Matt or even Boom care that much about what fans think about their improvisation? They do it because they want to, and it is NOT FOR YOU!
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    justam wrote:
    What?!

I love a long RVM!! :D

oh yeah, tell it like it IS, sista :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~