Please STOP POSTING "please play..." threads!

Comments

• shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    pdalowsky said:

No problem with anyone asking for a song to be played. Some people have a connection with certain songs and it would make their evening to hear it played. What on earth is wrong with that?

the band either throw it in or ignore it, im not sure how this would offend anyone here. Skip past the thread, and it need never bother you.

Seeing the elation of some fans hearing the songs they requested makes it all worthwhile, and given the amount of these requests that appear to have been honoured this last few years it would seem on the face of it that Ed enjoys the interaction, or is at least happy to partake.

Yeah im sure the band see these requests and think 'fuck off' im sure that's exactly what they think. Not at all that, look at this guy who appreciates this song I wrote. Im sure they hate the adulation here and the love of their work, that must be a right royal drag

:clap:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    pdalowsky said:

No problem with anyone asking for a song to be played. Some people have a connection with certain songs and it would make their evening to hear it played. What on earth is wrong with that?

the band either throw it in or ignore it, im not sure how this would offend anyone here. Skip past the thread, and it need never bother you.

Seeing the elation of some fans hearing the songs they requested makes it all worthwhile, and given the amount of these requests that appear to have been honoured this last few years it would seem on the face of it that Ed enjoys the interaction, or is at least happy to partake.

Yeah im sure the band see these requests and think 'fuck off' im sure that's exactly what they think. Not at all that, look at this guy who appreciates this song I wrote. Im sure they hate the adulation here and the love of their work, that must be a right royal drag

^^ All of that above!

Maybe it would just be easier for the people that don't like them to ignore the 1/30th of the screen each of these threads take up. And honestly, requesting people stop doing something well within the rules because it doesn't meet individual tastes is as "entitled" as it gets (had to toss in the overused buzz word).
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    pdalowsky said:

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    So we've officially moved from neon backpacks to full on jealousy of a super fan?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Do people actively search for these threads from 2-3 years ago to bump up?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    But I really would like to hear Evenflow
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Best thread so far really , clowns all over this forum requesting stupid shit ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    NEVER!!!!

Hate to tell you, but request threads work!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

NEVER!!!!

Hate to tell you, but request threads work!

but when is enough enough? the porch is already flooded with these threads, should they open a separate section of the forum for song requests? similar to everyone wanting a separate sections for trades, sales, etc --- 10c agreed, and now we have lost dogs.

and people's logic on requesting a song doesn't always jive. "BEEN TO 39 PEARL JAM SHOWS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN XYZ SONG, REQUEST TO PLAY IT, I DESERVE IT, MY HOLY GRAIL."

do i have a platform to stand on during the next US tour if i create a thread requesting they play Rival? because you know, it's my forum name and i *deserve* it?
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    I think everyone has the right to post a request thread. See my question below if the technical support forum. I'm wondering if people can hid threads they don't want to see. This would allow the requests to remain but others to delete them if they feel the forum is too cluttered.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/247861/is-there-a-way-to-hide-threads#latest
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I can't wrap my head around anyone, ANYONE, thinking it is their right to police what threads should be or shouldn't be on the Porch. I don't give a shit if it's a request thread, a "where's my vault vinyl" thread, or even a "pearl jam sucks" thread. seriously, you have an issue with having to scroll an extra inch on the page because you don't find it important? the internet was not built just for you.

so you start a thread complaining about other useless threads, thus bumping other threads you deem more important even lower? it's still early, but I'm guessing that's the dumbest thing I will hear today.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I'm ok with it, how else are you supposed to have a chance at getting your white whale?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited November 2015
    If you don't like song request threads, scroll past them. Easy solution. :i_dunno:
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Zod said:

I'm ok with it, how else are you supposed to have a chance at getting your white whale?

line up in the GA line at 2am with your three year old, get the rail, have your home made sign ready, telling the band it is said three year old's first show and it's his/her favorite song, and BAM! DONE!

you will also get a tambo and a pick in the process.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    rival. said:

Zod said:

line up in the GA line at 2am with your three year old, get the rail, have your home made sign ready, telling the band it is said three year old's first show and it's his/her favorite song, and BAM! DONE!

you will also get a tambo and a pick in the process.
    I don't have kids... I guess I'll have to borrow a friend's :)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I agree with the op. However I am totally in favor of threads asking for certain songs to be retired. There is nothing hypocritical about that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    pdalowsky said:

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

I hope they play Oceans in Philly or Baltimore

Got it in Detroit....I'm through with requests

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379

I can't wrap my head around anyone, ANYONE, thinking it is their right to police what threads should be or shouldn't be on the Porch. I don't give a shit if it's a request thread, a "where's my vault vinyl" thread, or even a "pearl jam sucks" thread. seriously, you have an issue with having to scroll an extra inch on the page because you don't find it important? the internet was not built just for you.

so you start a thread complaining about other useless threads, thus bumping other threads you deem more important even lower? it's still early, but I'm guessing that's the dumbest thing I will hear today.

But aren't you doing the EXACT thing you're complaining about? Policing someone else's thread?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:

But aren't you doing the EXACT thing you're complaining about? Policing someone else's thread?
    no. it would be the same if I started a thread titled "stop complaining about what people post on here". I didn't. I commented in an existing thread. I'm not policing anything. I just can't understand the negativity.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

on2legs said:

no. it would be the same if I started a thread titled "stop complaining about what people post on here". I didn't. I commented in an existing thread. I'm not policing anything. I just can't understand the negativity.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

on2legs said:

It's happened before the last time a thread specific to Dimitris was made. I wish people would freaking relax. I'm pretty sure he didn't say he 'deserved' anything. Those were other people's words used to describe their thoughts on the matter. Obviously no open internet forum can be free of some opposite view.
    www.cluthelee.com
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Pot. Kettle. Black.
    sorry. nope.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2015

on2legs said:

It's happened before the last time a thread specific to Dimitris was made. I wish people would freaking relax. I'm pretty sure he didn't say he 'deserved' anything. Those were other people's words used to describe their thoughts on the matter. Obviously no open internet forum can be free of some opposite view.
    I'm 99% sure he is NOT saying he deserves it... its clearly a text formatting issue with his post combined with the language barrier. He said he's not saying play it because he deserves it. But the way its formatted makes it look like the opposite.
    Post edited by on2legs on

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Of course he wouldn't think he deserves it. Only a mental case would think that, and Dimitris isn't one.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Pot. Kettle. Black.
    sorry. nope.

So when you said "I can't wrap my head around anyone, ANYONE, thinking it is their right to police what threads should be or shouldn't be on the Porch " you were talking about everyone but you. Because you are clearly policing someone else's thread.

It's all good though. I support your right to have an opinion on what threads should or shouldn't be on the Porch. :smiley:

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Pot. Kettle. Black.
    sorry. nope.

So when you said "I can't wrap my head around anyone, ANYONE, thinking it is their right to police what threads should be or shouldn't be on the Porch " you were talking about everyone but you. Because you are clearly policing someone else's thread.

It's all good though. I support your right to have an opinion on what threads should or shouldn't be on the Porch. :smiley:

I don't see any policing going on here.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Pot. Kettle. Black.
    sorry. nope.

did I say this thread shouldn't be allowed? no, I said it was stupid and counterproductive to the point in the OP. as I also said, i don't give a shit what threads are posted on the porch. I certainly would never start a thread complaining about other threads. but go ahead and do it if it makes you feel better.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• But....then how will I ever hear the songs that I have not heard yet....?
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Dr. MattDr. Matt Posts: 199
    ewokpelts said:

Seriously.

Get over yourselves.

How about threads that request........MOAR COWBELL!!!?!

Is that acceptable?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
This discussion has been closed.